Spudly

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?

On 6/9/2018 at 9:26 AM, DickDastardly said:

Seems it was originally built to operate out  of Perth hence lift keel and droppable mast.

IMHO unless there's something drastically wrong with it it would be a fine boat for bay/harbour sailing and a bit of cruising at that price.

Boat isn't familiar though if it was formally Charisma then yeah, it lived here for a while

15 hours ago, Swanno said:

Boat isn't familiar though if it was formally Charisma then yeah, it lived here for a while

Pretty sure it was launched as "Farrawa".  I trieed to find a photo of the cockpit, but they've been taken down.  The standard cockpit for the 2 tonners had moulded in lifering "pockets", but we changed the cockpit on one boat - pretty sure that was Farrawa.  Twin companionways also rings a bell.

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Pretty sure it was launched as "Farrawa".  I trieed to find a photo of the cockpit, but they've been taken down.  The standard cockpit for the 2 tonners had moulded in lifering "pockets", but we changed the cockpit on one boat - pretty sure that was Farrawa.  Twin companionways also rings a bell.

The ad did mention that it was launched as Farrawa and that it competed in a couple of sydney - hobarts in the late 70s under that name

Guessing it's Farr design 67 or 68

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, DickDastardly said:

The ad did mention that it was launched as Farrawa and that it competed in a couple of sydney - hobarts in the late 70s under that name

Guessing it's Farr design 67 or 68

Guess it helps if you read it and not just look at pictures. Whoops.

Does anyone know what happened to Amazon and the last Loki ,both boats were really quick in their day ,i remember a Loki sank in Europe , but i think that was not the last Loki

1 hour ago, halfhour said:

Does anyone know what happened to Amazon and the last Loki ,both boats were really quick in their day ,i remember a Loki sank in Europe , but i think that was not the last Loki

Amazon was fire damaged. Apparently last seen between GC & Brisbane. 

Loki is now Lucky & still racing OS. 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I  think he meant the Loki before that Loki? Wasn't there a 60 footer that shat a rudder in Europe?

7 minutes ago, Swanno said:

I  think he meant the Loki before that Loki? Wasn't there a 60 footer that shat a rudder in Europe?

I assume he knows one sank in Europe & was looking for the last Loki. 

Just re-read. I'll sit back and STFU now :wacko:

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

11 hours ago, Swanno said:

There was, Wasn't pretty.  Was a glamour boat, R/P 60 I think.

IIRC looters got to it pretty quickly on the beach and stole a lot of the gear but something in the back of my tiny mind tells me it was eventually salvaged and bought off the insurers for refurb.  Could be wrong though.

Does anyone have any photos of that boat before it went up on a beach? That isn't the R/P 60 that was once Wild Oats and then became Wild Joe is it?

3 hours ago, ASP said:

No Wild Joe was originally built as Wild Oats IX and sailed in the Admiral's Cup in 2003.  Was originally idended as a fixed keeler but was conveted to CBTF during build as that was the fashion at the time.  IIRC that boat was also recently fitted with a DSS.

The Loki that went aground in the Middle Sea Race was a 60 foot fixed keeler, a R-P one-off.  The subsequent Loki (now Lucky) was a R-P 63 footer, near sister to Limit, which also spent time in the USA but has just recently returned to Australia.

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

No Wild Joe was originally built as Wild Oats IX and sailed in the Admiral's Cup in 2003.  Was originally idended as a fixed keeler but was conveted to CBTF during build as that was the fashion at the time.  IIRC that boat was also recently fitted with a DSS.

The Loki that went aground in the Middle Sea Race was a 60 foot fixed keeler, a R-P one-off.  The subsequent Loki (now Lucky) was a R-P 63 footer, near sister to Limit, which also spent time in the USA but has just recently returned to Australia.

I know, I was responding to Jacko about the Wild Joe R/P60.

3 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Wasn't that Limit that just returned?

6 hours ago, newbiesporty said:

Wasn't that Limit that just returned?

Limit->Invisible Hand?->Aszhou->Voodoo

Loki->Lucky->Gambler->Young America?

11 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Any shots of the sixty foot Loki prior to her accident? 

That RP circa 60' era lovely boats and still are nearly perfect S2H boats. Would love to have seen someone 10 years back commission a stretched 70' or two so we could see them head to head with the VO70's over the last decade.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That RP circa 60' era lovely boats and still are nearly perfect S2H boats. Would love to have seen someone 10 years back commission a stretched 70' or two so we could see them head to head with the VO70's over the last decade.

That'd be more or less a Maxi 72...

8 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

That'd be more or less a Maxi 72...

Dick except the modern Maxi 72 would be pulling out at Bondi.

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dick except the modern Maxi 72 would be pulling out at Bondi.

Well yes but I'd assume if you can make a TP52 seaworthy then ditto for one one of those

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Well yes but I'd assume if you can make a TP52 seaworthy then ditto for one one of those

Absolutely but with inference on your words "make it seaworthy"...my point was the RP's of that era are as tough as nails requiring nothing to stop their bows falling off/rig wanting to go horizontal out of the RP design/builder box. Furthermore these relatively skinny canting boats have a hull form/sail plan tailor made for a S2H. However maybe some rating issues. Their resale value still today underwrites their versatility which is pretty good for a 15 year old design outcome.

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

BJ 66 

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Absolutely but with inference on your words "make it seaworthy"...my point was the RP's of that era are as tough as nails requiring nothing to stop their bows falling off/rig wanting to go horizontal out of the RP design/builder box. Furthermore these relatively skinny canting boats have a hull form/sail plan tailor made for a S2H. However maybe some rating issues. Their resale value still today underwrites their versatility which is pretty good for a 15 year old design outcome.

Maybe so but design and engineering are two different, albeit related things. 

That era also concided wih quite a number of R-P boats being halted mid-build and redesigned, (Loki and Limit) or having hull transplants (Shockwave, Secret Men's Business) or others finding themselves unloaded to naval academies rather sooner than originally intended (Moneypenny, Bella Mente IIRC).  Root case was systemic design defects as I recall, something to do with Centre of Buoyancy moving around when heeled and lee helm kicking in badly sailing upwind.

Chutzpah was also one of that design crop but wasn't altered.  Despite being pretty well sailed it's a pretty crap boat upwind, albeit quite a fun performer downhill.

33 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

That era also concided wih quite a number of R-P boats being halted mid-build and redesigned, 

That I didn't know Dick..thanks.

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dick except the modern Maxi 72 would be pulling out at BondiWatsons Bay

FIFY

If anyone needs crew for their unseaworthy mini maxi for Hobart, count me in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

You might want to chat with Mr Langman....... "M's personal assistant" is rumoured to be heading this way.......

6 minutes ago, Couta said:

You might want to chat with Mr Langman....... "M's personal assistant" is rumoured to be heading this way.......

You got his number? I'm pretty sure he could pick 50 better guys in Syd tho

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Getting a cab to park in Watson's Bay would require less effort.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Getting a cab to park in Watson's Bay would require less effort.

Not as nice a place to watch the start from though.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:09 PM, SCANAS said:

I might need crew for my 38 Grainger multi

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Plane flight away....also, make a build thread!

4 hours ago, PIL66 said:

For the inaugural S2H multi race, why not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

For the inaugural S2H multi race, why not. 

So in this multi S2H will we also be short handed fleets as well ? 

May any I also ask who is the host  club running the race ? 

Pulpit

44 minutes ago, pulpit said:

So in this multi S2H will we also be short handed fleets as well ? 

May any I also ask who is the host  club running the race ? 

Pulpit

Hosted by the Shag Islet Yacht Club. 

Shorthanded div: No

Shortskilled div: Yes

Fake Rolex's & Fake Audi's (Skoda) a plenty. 

Entries via PayPal but I'm away on an oil rig with limited internet. 

• Like 2

Safety Category  7.  No radios, liferafts or all that other stuff.  Costs too much and multi's don't need any of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DtM said:

Safety Category  7.  No radios, liferafts or all that other stuff.  Costs too much and multi's don't need any of it.

Don't be ridiculous! All appropriate equipment as required by state & federal law, so a mirror, v Sheet, pfd, torch, compass & charts. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvtxXcN8cUa_nuV9KVtao

paper charts only and one PFD to share around

2 hours ago, DtM said:

paper charts only and one PFD to share around

Don’t forget only life rafts for 1/2 the crew only and the skipper must go down with the ship.

• Like 1

So many newbies around nowdays

we went through this about ten years ago

pil was starting it off cronulla and I was finishing it at the iron pot

no need for permits that way

did not get any takers though

53 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Done.1637892141_Tohellfreezersover.jpg.46f92a534aaae786a07de8abc224676c.jpg

So solo multis it is..

On 4/26/2018 at 12:36 PM, Recidivist said:

Pretty sure Farrawa wasn't built by Binks.  IIRC she was one of 3 or 4 Farr 2 tonners that I helped build in the old Navy shed in Jenkins Street, Birkenhead.  They were good looking boats.

The Farr 2 toners were financed by Paul Smith and Peter Strangways was the lead builder. Dynamite was the first, which went to Sydney. Nitro went to Victoria, Grenville Edgerton owned it back then and Farrawa went to Perth. Paul Smith had Dynamite 2 in South Australia.

The last 3 all raced against each other in the 1977 Southern Cross series and S2H race. I was sailing on Dynamite 2 at the time.

10 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

The Farr 2 toners were financed by Paul Smith and Peter Strangways was the lead builder. Dynamite was the first, which went to Sydney. Nitro went to Victoria, Grenville Edgerton owned it back then and Farrawa went to Perth. Paul Smith had Dynamite 2 in South Australia.

The last 3 all raced against each other in the 1977 Southern Cross series and S2H race. I was sailing on Dynamite 2 at the time.

Dynamite was an earlier design though wasn't it?

1 hour ago, lydia said:

So many newbies around nowdays

we went through this about ten years ago

pil was starting it off cronulla and I was finishing it at the iron pot

no need for permits that way

did not get any takers though

Has it been that long......?   Time fly's ...... and my sarcasm is getting old.... but it's tradition that should carry on like newbies showing pics of boobs..... no wait, that doesn't happen any more.

Any guesses what my boat will rate....?

52 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Dynamite was an earlier design though wasn't it?

Yes. And I think Nitro was the plug from which the others were built. I am not sure, but there may have been another one, Fiona, for Jock Sturrock.

I can remember Strangways having to do a bow repair on it just before the Great Cirlcle race in 1979. But maybe it wasn’t a Farr 2 tonner.

43 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Any guesses what my boat will rate....?

PIL

it all depends on how good the topless female  crew look. Post a pic and we will all rate them for you.

• Like 1

Pulpitt

Sorry for comment above.

It was made in jest and with a sense of irony.

Cheers

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Pulpitt

Sorry for comment above.

It was made in jest and with a sense of irony.

Cheers

lydia 

It was taken that way anyway. 

You are right through, races like the S2H were started as a adventure and Christmas fun in the holidays. Now the average boat owner struggles to even get to the starting line. Clubs do need to look at how to grow there races. Just look at the fastnet race, they have moved with the times, single handed, double handed, multi’s and super yachts and there fleets just seem to be growing they now are running a second race for the single handlers. 

Just think about what our races could come if we think out side the square. 

Pulpit 

• Like 2

P

Maybe you can help here, I have been trying to get a QLD equivalent to the Silverudder race going.

Even if it was not overnight like the original.

www.silverrudder.com

Southport to Redcliffe back to Cleveland maybe.

Cheers

5 hours ago, lydia said:

P

Maybe you can help here, I have been trying to get a QLD equivalent to the Silverudder race going.

Even if it was not overnight like the original.

www.silverrudder.com

Southport to Redcliffe back to Cleveland maybe.

Cheers

Hey Lydia 

Looks interesting and I can think of a few options for courses 

pulpit

There are 3 Quests for sale at the moment... is it a coincidence that they all are for sale now?

Nelson Marek 43 - Quest

S2H podium

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/nelson-marek-43-quest-race-ready-massive-price-reduction/219628

Nelson Marek 46 - Quest

S2H winner 2002

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/nelson-marek-46/220127

Mills 41 - Quest

S2H ???

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/mills-design-irc-41/220433

12 hours ago, hoppy said:

There are 3 Quests for sale at the moment... is it a coincidence that they all are for sale now?

Nelson Marek 43 - Quest

S2H podium

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/nelson-marek-43-quest-race-ready-massive-price-reduction/219628

Nelson Marek 46 - Quest

S2H winner 2002

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/nelson-marek-46/220127

Mills 41 - Quest

S2H ???

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/mills-design-irc-41/220433

Maybe they all heard about your Quest for a new boat Hoppy?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Maybe they all heard about your Quest for a new boat Hoppy?

That would all be called "Never Ending Quest" if so .

• Like 4

Maybe already mentioned upthread but the 62' Bumblebee V after failing to drop it's wheels this time last year near Byron and enroute to HI is in a shed in the Gold Coast getting put back together. I don't know if Jim Cooney still owns it.

images (71).jpeg

On 6/26/2018 at 12:28 PM, lydia said:

For that one you need a widescreen TV for the tracker.

post-2514-0-45940800-1442607000.jpg

On 7/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe already mentioned upthread but the 62' Bumblebee V after failing to drop it's wheels this time last year near Byron and enroute to HI is in a shed in the Gold Coast getting put back together. I don't know if Jim Cooney still owns it.

images (71).jpeg

It is now back in Sydney all fixed and looking the goods .... Yes Jim still owns it...

Brindabella has also had a birthday and looking great..... Jim would not let a boat fall into disrepair 

19 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

It is now back in Sydney all fixed and looking the goods .... Yes Jim still owns it...

Brindabella has also had a birthday and looking great..... Jim would not let a boat fall into disrepair 

what on earth does he do with all these boats?

2 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

i can tell you what he doesnt do , go on them while untied from the dock .

8 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

He loves them and so do the kids. 

It's no different to me owning 6 bikes other than the value of them. I can't ride them all a lot but they all get used.

5 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

i can tell you what he doesnt do , go on them while untied from the dock .

Wrong.....    He actually uses them all at different times for different occasions....

• Like 2

On 7/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, jack_sparrow said:

images (71).jpeg

It was Radio silence on that one for a while. I guess some back & forward re repairer, insurer & owner so good news. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PIL66 said:

It's no different to me owning 6 bikes other than the value of them. I can't ride them all a lot but they all get used.

Actually pilly your anology was back the front. The super dooper rich and which Jim or anyone in Australia is not in that class operate differently.

They treat a 100' $30m sailboat like a set of golf clubs. The fuckers even forget where they put them in the garage and ring you up to find where in the world you have taken their small boat. Ohhhh haven't seen you for 6 months and I forgot that I suggested at Thanksgiving you go to the Pacific Ocean.

However they seem to always know to the inch where their biggest 200' set of clubs are and what the stewardess they personally hired is up to.

I haven't worked that rich physc bit out yet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PIL66 said:

He loves them and so do the kids. 

Wrong.....    He actually uses them all at different times for different occasions....

jim clarke ?

Jim Cooney, owner of Commanchie and others

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, Jethrow said:

Jim Cooney, owner of Commanchie and others

exactly, i was referring to the other one, sorry for the confusion.

Zeus II, the Currawong 30 that won the 81 race on handicap is still moored in Sydney. I think Jim Dunstan still owns her and keeps her in racing trim.

3R

28489767880_86eec3d4b7_o.jpg.d4d391c5e86e22439152fa9094046f62.jpg26337026100_fda70b4b2f_z.jpg.57e4af2c8797dee40e5ed9f270653110.jpg31901713851_0164758655_z.jpg.a6052b9f231895f9e75fee390614ab48.jpg

The 1989 line honours boat, Bondy's Drumbeat is now for sale.

It's history "he was seized by the Australian tax office and sold" kind of makes it special :)

It's currently called "Spank Me" because it's used as a backpackers shag boat.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/24m-maxi-adventure-sailing-charter-yacht/222357

spank-me-1.jpg

spank-Me1.jpg

spank-me-10.jpg

DSCF2746Medium_zps00b08a7a.jpg

On 8/3/2018 at 10:26 PM, Third Reef said:

Zeus II, the Currawong 30 that won the 81 race on handicap is still moored in Sydney. I think Jim Dunstan still owns her and keeps her in racing trim.

3R

28489767880_86eec3d4b7_o.jpg.d4d391c5e86e22439152fa9094046f62.jpg26337026100_fda70b4b2f_z.jpg.57e4af2c8797dee40e5ed9f270653110.jpg31901713851_0164758655_z.jpg.a6052b9f231895f9e75fee390614ab48.jpg

1981 was a good year! 

SAM_5614.thumb.jpg.c6fec16d5a553558574d9ec9cfb7434c.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hoppy said:

The 1989 line honours boat, Bondy's Drumbeat is now for sale.

I can thank Bond for imparting a valuable life lesson in 1989. His girlfriend then Tracey Tyler was pretty hot and a good 20 years younger. I realised seeing her that some women would ignore a lot providing there was a fat wallet on hand. This pic is when Drumbeat gets to Hobart and she tells him the banks had pulled the pin (which I think they timed knowing he was out of contact) leading ultimately to his bankruptcy and in the big house for fraud a few years later.

The boat was a pretty cool maxi for its time being a new build, but never saw any real competition except Kenwood Cup in 1990 (got the Molokai Race Record) plus that was the sunset time for IOR.

NPX266621.jpg

Yes Matador 3 raced, 1995. It was renamed Fudge, sponsored by a hair care product company. The boat had be de-tuned to fit within the rating band at the time. They did this by reefing the main and calling that the rated sail area, plus they pulled heaps of lead out of it.. Sadly the 1st reef point tore away from its pennant inside the heads, and it was basically over. I f I remember correctly she was doing quite well at the time against Sayonara upwind inside the harbour, with Iain Murray steering.

I recall (I was in about my first year of high school) there was something to do with putting a fixed prop on, but it was decided that the measures above were less detrimental.

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I can thank Bond for imparting a valuable life lesson in 1989. His girlfriend then Tracey Tyler was pretty hot and a good 20 years younger. I realised seeing her that some women would ignore a lot providing there was a fat wallet on hand. This pic is when Drumbeat gets to Hobart and she tells him the banks had pulled the pin (which I think they timed knowing he was out of contact) leading ultimately to his bankruptcy and in the big house for fraud a few years later.

The boat was a pretty cool maxi for its time being a new build, but never saw any real competition except Kenwood Cup in 1990 (got the Molokai Race Record) plus that was the sunset time for IOR.

NPX266621.jpg

Drumbeat saw plenty of competition in '89 at Majorca & Porto Cervo regattas. Was up against the new Italian Farr "Longobarda", the French owned Frers "Emeruade" with DC driving, and the Farr "Hispania" owned by the Spanish navy. Hispania was especialy quick in the light from memory. Drumbeat had Peter Gilmour driving, Iain Murray & Fresh giving directions & Ricko & Glen Bourke trimming.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mahina said:

Drumbeat saw plenty of competition in '89 at Majorca & Porto Cervo regattas. Was up against the new Italian Farr "Longobarda", the French owned Frers "Emeruade" with DC driving, and the Farr "Hispania" owned by the Spanish navy. Hispania was especialy quick in the light from memory. Drumbeat had Peter Gilmour driving, Iain Murray & Fresh giving directions & Ricko & Glen Bourke trimming.

Wasn't exactly a top line fleet that year with US boats MIA from memory. It did compete as Congere with new US owner after Bond but was undercrewed and normaly the caboose.

33 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wasn't exactly a top line fleet that year with US boats MIA from memory. It did compete as Congere with new US owner after Bond but was undercrewed and normaly the caboose.

The best of the US maxis at the time was Kialoa V, which was at the med regattas after coming 3rd at the Newport maxi worlds 2 months earlier behind Sovereign & Emeruade . Ill Moro was also at the med regattas, can't recall if Matador or Boomerang were there, but by then the masthead maxis were being beaten by the fractional rigged boats in most races. Sovereign was the last masthead rigged maxi to win a worlds.

A trip down memory lane to 1947 and the Fife 9 metre (Cruising 8 metre) Josephine, in one of her races to Hobart, leading at Wollongong - ahead of Morna! Another photo of the view from astern - note no lifelines! She is low freeboard so we are in full wet weather gear and pfds around Sydney Harbour. Third photo is of her sailing in late 2017. She is kept in fabulous condition and raced often.

Josephine 1947.jpg

Josephine looking astern.jpg

Josephine.jpg

Edited by mccroc

Anyone remember anything about a boat from the 70's "QUEEQUEG"...? I used to drool over her when I were a lad.

Went to WA and came up for sale about 10 years ago in Sydney

Jon Saunders had deliverered around

• Like 1

5 hours ago, charisma94 said:

Anyone remember anything about a boat from the 70's "QUEEQUEG"...? I used to drool over her when I were a lad.

Good morning,

Queequeg was sadly lost on St Helena Island back in 2011 or 2012.

They arrived in James Bay and were instructed to use a government mooring and not ly to their own anchor. At the end of their stay, while clearing out ashore the crew was alerted that the boat had come adrift and was on the rocks. The notorious James Bay swell did the rest and the boat was reduces to a few planks within minutes.

The owner claimed compensation from the government and the parties settled. Google Queequeg St Helena Wrecked  and you will see a set of pictures of the incident taking place as well as the full story.

Regards.

• Like 1

Queequeg was at RPYC for a long time through the 80's and 90's. I got to sail on her for a few Saturday arvo's and a couple of Thursday night booze cruises in the late 80's. When I knew her she had blue decks. The picture on the net of her on the bricks, the decks are brown.

Although the newer one tonners and Jack Cassidy's Wings used to give her a bit of a belting on the river, she was a fairly large presence on a tight waterway like the Swan. RPYC, RFBYC, SPYC, CYC and EFC all run races so it got a little crowded at times, but with Queequeg if she was on port, she was on starboard, just get out the way. Old rumouring says a couple of kids in a Pelican ended up on her foredeck, boat and all one day, with their eyes sticking out like a  couple of boiled eggs on toothpicks after getting to close downhill.

As a skinny kid, sailing on her was unreal. Massive gear. Twin pole gybing, winches for everything and the bottom mark always coming up very quickly. Fabulous akshuuun!! 

She was a stunning boat though, and back then she was moored within spitting distance of Jon Sanders''  Perie Banou 3 (ex Pilgrim, 2nd plc 1 ton cup) and Peter Briggs Hitchhiker. Cool History. Pretty boats.

I can't remember the owners name, but he also owned a Swan 57 ketch on the east coast. Poor bastard.

Sad to know she's gone, glad no one was hurt.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas. Sad story.

Any ideas of what design she was? Built by Ces Quilkie? (Just a guess.)