Sign in to follow this  
Contumacious Tom

Censoring T-Bizzle

Censoring T-Bizzle

...In an interview, Killer Mike took a dim view of the Supreme Court, saying it had gutted the Voting Rights Act. But he held out hope that the justices would treat the violent images in Mr. Bell’s song no differently than they would similar ones in folk, country, reggae — or opera.

“Anyone who is learned in law,” Killer Mike said, “is capable of separating art and lyrics, whether you agree with them or not, and actual human behavior. I think the courts understand it when it’s Johnny Cash. I think they understand it when it’s Robert Nesta Marley.”

It is true that Johnny Cash did not actually shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die. Bob Marley did not actually shoot the sheriff. Treating rap lyrics differently, Killer Mike said, “persecutes poor young men based on their class and color.”...

Rappin' Roberts Encore?

The idea of Rappin' Roberts on YouTube is perhaps the best argument I have seen for putting cameras in the Supreme Court.

Did T-Bizzle really want to put a pistol down those mens' throats? Or might he encourage some others to do it? I don't think so but even if the answer is yes, the solution is counter-expression, not censorship.

Take away his tools. It's the only way to ensure the chastity of the white wimin.

Who?

Seems you need three to have strikes to bitch:

Don't buy it and don't put it in your CD player and don't hit play.

What's a CD player?

Take away his tools. It's the only way to ensure the chastity of the white wimin.

How would taking Facebook and YouTube away from him work?

What's a CD player?

Something only very backward folks still consider modern.

I associate censorship with backward and therefore chose buy a CD rather than "download."

What's a CD player?

Something only very backward folks still consider modern.

I associate censorship with backward and therefore chose buy a CD rather than "download."

Our government can occasionally be very tech-savvy and forward-looking, as in this case of censoring an artist who published his work on internet-based social media outlets.

How would taking Facebook and YouTube away from him work?

I guess this question might have an answer.

Big Internet Companies Plan To Censor Terrorists

So if might depend whether his gun down the throat talk is terrortalk.

More broadly, social media is discovering more need for censorship

Even here, Underdawg says he stays busy. Last night, my brother asked, "What's 4chan?"

It's what happens when there really is no censorship online. I fully support that. But I also told him it's probably best not to go. Can't be unseen.

Censoring Snap Dogg

Chelsea Russell, 19, posted lyrics to a song by the Detroit rapper Snap Dogg (no, not Snoop Dogg) on the bio of her Instagram account to pay tribute to Murphy. The song, "I'm Trippin'," released in 2016, is heavy on killing snitches and waving guns around and it has lots of use of the n-word. It's the type of song that people point to when they say they don't like rap music because it's too violent.

According to the Liverpool Echo, Russell's Instagram account was reported to a constable in a "hate crime unit" who found the lyrics "offensive and upsetting." Russell was charged with sending a grossly offensive message by means of a public electronic communications network.

At Russell's trial, her defense pointed out that Jay-Z had used these similarly offensive words at a music festival in Glastonbury. She had copied the lyrics off a friend's Instagram account—apparently thousands of others were using the lyrics to remember Murphy. Clearly it must have been a favorite song of his.

But the court and the magistrates didn't care. District Judge Jack McGarva said: "There is no place in civil society for language like that. Everyone with an Instagram account could view this content. The lyrics also encourage killing and robbing, so are grossly offensive."

Russell now has to submit to ankle monitoring for eight weeks and pay the equivalent of about $800 in fines.

I thought about putting this in the Pussification of England thread but think I'll just post something grossly offensive instead.

On 12/27/2015 at 5:12 PM, Raz'r said:

What's a CD player?

It's a thing you can use to replace your 8-track if you aren't worried about authenticity when you sell your junker.

The hate crime in question:

[Verse 1]
I was chillin' with my bitch, we was gettin' high as shit
Fuck around and start trippin', I was thinking about a lick
Then I called my twin told him bring the F&N
He said he already got it, make sure you bring your friend
He say I see you in about ten, we met up at the Coney
Seen an old head with a cuban and a rolley
Nigga run that shit, you better not make a move
He tried to run back up in the Coney with his food
I seen my brother shot him, so I shot him too
Get that cuban and the rolley, fuck it, get the money too
I was trippin' hard, fuck the white and blue
Oh shit we gotta go, before we end up on the news

[Chorus]
Off a whole gram of molly, and my bitch think I'm trippin'
Now I'm clutchin' on my forty, all I can think about is drillin'
I hate fuck shit, slap a bitch nigga, kill a snitch nigga, rob a rich nigga
I think I'm trippin', I think I'm trippin'

[Verse 2]
So I called up sosa, he said we about to take off
Gotta keep that bitch on me
Cause they gonna start hatin' on me
So I walked outside with my Mac 10
Some niggas rolled up on me sayin', "Snap you shot my man"
So I upped my shit and let off about ten
Then they pulled off, now they got me on ten
Hopped up in my shit, then I peeled up
Pull up on them niggas seen they mans bleeding out
That's what you get for acting tough
You about to end up like your mans
Hopped out the whip, blew those niggas like a fan

[Chorus]

Sorry 'bout all the hate. Just like when I report on the words in (assault weapon, ordinary .22) bans, I'm just saying what I read.

She apparently only posted an excerpt of the above lyrics as a memorial to a dead friend.

I'm trying to figure out what part of that I'd excerpt as a memorial to anyone.

22 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Russell now has to submit to ankle monitoring for eight weeks and pay the equivalent of about $800 in fines.

Ankle monitoring????  How does that stop someone from posting on the internet?  What does monitoring her movements have to do with her offense??

Pussification of England, indeed.

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

The hate crime in question:

Sorry 'bout all the hate. Just like when I report on the words in (assault weapon, ordinary .22) bans, I'm just saying what I read.

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

[Verse 1]
I was chillin' with my bitch, we was gettin' high as shit
Fuck around and start trippin', I was thinking about a lick
Then I called my twin told him bring the F&N
He said he already got it, make sure you bring your friend
He say I see you in about ten, we met up at the Coney
Seen an old head with a cuban and a rolley
Nigga run that shit, you better not make a move
He tried to run back up in the Coney with his food
I seen my brother shot him, so I shot him too
Get that cuban and the rolley, fuck it, get the money too
I was trippin' hard, fuck the white and blue
Oh shit we gotta go, before we end up on the news

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
So I called up sosa, he said we about to take off
Gotta keep that bitch on me
Cause they gonna start hatin' on me
So I walked outside with my Mac 10
Some niggas rolled up on me sayin', "Snap you shot my man"
So I upped my shit and let off about ten
Then they pulled off, now they got me on ten
Hopped up in my shit, then I peeled up
Pull up on them niggas seen they mans bleeding out
That's what you get for acting tough
You about to end up like your mans
Hopped out the whip, blew those niggas like a fan

[Chorus]

Hey Tom, I get your libertarian streak and concept of anything goes.  But I'm a bit on the fence about this one.  I'm a staunch supporter of ALL rights, but like gunz - there has to be a limit where "anything goes" does impede on public safety.  So I'm torn.  We all agree that yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater is a limit to free speech because it endangers public safety.  I think there comes a point in free speech such as the lyrics above where there is a case to be made that it might go too far and incite violence.  

I continually make the case all the time in the gun threadz that the main difference between our fairly violent society and the one we had a few decades ago is not the prevalence or access to gunz, but rather the massive increase in violent imagery and violent media.  TV, music, movies, video games, 24/7 violence on the cable news, etc.  Is there not a point where it might be OK for society to say enough?  At a minimum, I would say some of this stuff should be totally off-limits to kids, and not just as a recommendation.  

As I said, I struggle with where the line is, if there is one.  For those of you who might say there is no line when it comes to censorship of media, as in no censorship at all - just remember you are choosing the right to free speech over the right for kids not to be murdered.  Because like it or not, this violent stuff IS contributing to the violence in our society.  The amount is certainly up for debate, but IMHO violent media does contribute to violence, if not in some ways being causal.  

It's naught but a 21st century ballad..love sex and death...It's actually very good.

English Magistrates courts are lower courts without jury..and  are very limited in their sentencing ability.Judges are often lay judges. Sounds like this  girl fell victim to a grumpy old man...sentence isn't worth appealing and he knows it. 

15 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I think there comes a point in free speech such as the lyrics above where there is a case to be made that it might go too far and incite violence.  

I guess that's true, but has anyone actually shot a Sheriff because of Bob's lyrics?

Or were you talking about some other lyrics above?

The line you want to draw is going to get really blurry if I bring Johnny Cash into the room...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

It's naught but a 21st century ballad..love sex and death...It's actually very good.

English Magistrates courts are lower courts without jury..and  are very limited in their sentencing ability.Judges are often lay judges. Sounds like this  girl fell victim to a grumpy old man...sentence isn't worth appealing and he knows it. 

I'm not sure, but the first verse appears to be about killing someone for his Cuban sandwich. I like a good Cuban sandwich as much as anyone, but that goes kinda far. I'm not sure what a "rolley" is.

4 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'm not sure, but the first verse appears to be about killing someone for his Cuban sandwich. I like a good Cuban sandwich as much as anyone, but that goes kinda far. I'm not sure what a "rolley" is.

Oh DUDE!!!  I'm am now craving an authentic cuban sandwich from South FL!  Fuck, damn you!

1 minute ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Oh DUDE!!!  I'm am now craving an authentic cuban sandwich from South FL!  Fuck, damn you!

Me too. You want me to post pics when I take it off the sandwich press later?

2 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Me too. You want me to post pics when I take it off the sandwich press later?

Yes, send me a recipe too!  Fortunately I can get pork over here.  I just need the right kind!

6 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Dunno, rolley here is a hand rolled ciggy.

This song is really sad, what happens when your tripping..there's a poignancy to it.

makes more sense if you watch the clip

implication is he's hallucinating the scenario

Just now, Uncooperative Tom said:

All the Cuban sandwiches in my hallucinations are unguarded. Chocolate too.

ok..what's a cuban sandwich?

5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

ok..what's a cuban sandwich?

Different kinds of greasy stuff on greased white bread, smashed under high heat. Just about the least healthy thing you could reasonably call lunch. The only green things in there are pickle slices. Heaven, in other words.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Different kinds of greasy stuff on greased white bread, smashed under high heat. Just about the least healthy thing you could reasonably call lunch. The only green things in there are pickle slices. Heaven, in other words.

so I just googled..it's a squashed style toastie with gouda or swiss and ham, salami, roast pork ....and the ubiquitous american pickle. 

It took a cuban to "invent" this?

Why not add a tomato and make it better 

skip the salami (heated salami is disgusting) and it's got nearly all the food groups. :D

1 minute ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Hmmm. Never tried it with Gouda AND Swiss. That might be worth killing someone over. I'll report back.

put one on the bottom and one on the top..don't cross the streams.

20 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I was going to cross the streams on purpose but you may be right. I'll have to report back twice.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:25 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

Yes, send me a recipe too!  Fortunately I can get pork over here.  I just need the right kind!

My recipe, which I must emphasize will NOT result in a real Cuban sandwich like I could get on Calle Ocho in Miami, starts with a Publix Cuban sub from the deli.

But they were out. Maybe I'll try again today.

Meanwhile, back sorta on topic,

Censoring T-Shirts

4 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

My recipe, which I must emphasize will NOT result in a real Cuban sandwich like I could get on Calle Ocho in Miami, starts with a Publix Cuban sub from the deli.

But they were out. Maybe I'll try again today.

Censoring T-Shirts

You are FUCKING dead to me!!

On 4/25/2018 at 7:59 AM, Shortforbob said:
On 4/25/2018 at 7:57 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

Hmmm. Never tried it with Gouda AND Swiss. That might be worth killing someone over. I'll report back.

I crossed the streams. It couldn't be wrong and wasn't.

But back sorta on topic,

Self-Censorship By Spotify

No Beatles I could probably handle but no Bowie?

On 4/25/2018 at 7:54 AM, Shortforbob said:

so I just googled..it's a squashed style toastie with gouda or swiss and ham, salami, roast pork ....and the ubiquitous american pickle. 

It took a cuban to "invent" this?

Why not add a tomato and make it better 

skip the salami (heated salami is disgusting) and it's got nearly all the food groups. :D

Putting tomato in a sandwich just makes it soggy

Tomatoes should be cut in wedges and put on the plate. Unless they're pickled, then they count as pickles and can be sliced thin and put in the sandwich

-DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Tomatoes should be cut in wedges and put on the plate. Unless they're pickled, then they count as pickles and can be sliced thin and put in the sandwich

-DSK

If you eat a ham, Gouda and tomato toastie slow enough for it to go soggy, it's bin fodder to start with.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

You're supposed to bread it and fry it first.

• Like 1

I suspect I was given an inbred cousin of your Cuban thing yesterday. Take half of last Friday's breakfast roll, place slab of dry tough pork on top, add some curious grey sausage like substance and bland chewy cheese, place in toastie thing for precisely 35 seconds, serve with watered beer and call it tapas.

disgusting.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

You're supposed to bread it and fry it first.

You're right..... how silly of me to forget.........     :D

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

I suspect I was given an inbred cousin of your Cuban thing yesterday. Take half of last Friday's breakfast roll, place slab of dry tough pork on top, add some curious grey sausage like substance and bland chewy cheese, place in toastie thing for precisely 35 seconds, serve with watered beer and call it tapas.

disgusting.

Well, the "tough dry pork" thing has you off on the wrong foot before the start.

Shucks, if you know how to raise 'em, then butcher 'em, there is nothing on a pig that isn't delicious. And Southerners eat pretty much all of it, right down to the squeal. There is a thing called a pig's knuckle sandwich...... different from a regular knuckle sandwich...... the "pig's knuckle" is actually the feet & ankles, and properly prepared, they are the next best thing to jowl bacon.

Feel free to call it disgusting. No accounting for tastes. Plus, it leaves more for me (although to be honest, I have not eaten a pig's knuckle sandwich in over a decade, rarely even have BBQ these days).

-DSK

On 5/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, SloopJonB said:
On 5/25/2018 at 8:11 PM, mad said:

How did we go from UK knife law to Tom’s.22 discussion?

Every thread ends up discussing his fucking .22

Not this one.

• Downvote 1

On 5/16/2018 at 9:03 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
On 5/16/2018 at 8:08 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I crossed the streams. It couldn't be wrong and wasn't.

But back sorta on topic,

Self-Censorship By Spotify

No Beatles I could probably handle but no Bowie?

That's the problem when you try to define & outlaw "hate".  

The challenge of censorship extends well beyond "hate."

$peaking can be bad if a suspected foreigner does it.

Even benign speech can take on a sinister cast when it is linked to people who live in other countries. Facebook recently deleted a bunch of pages after finding evidence that they were created by foreigners pretending to be Americans. One of those pages was dedicated to organizing and promoting a counterprotest against a white supremacist rally next week in Washington, D.C. The real activists who are participating in the event are pretty pissed at Facebook's ham-handed censorship. "There wasn't much on the page before we were added," one of them told The New York Times. "The content, when it was taken down, was all from us."

This is the sort of thing you can expect when politicians start demanding that social media platforms help protect American democracy...

$peech can also be bad if it's about a prohibited plant

There are, in fact, many pages on Facebook that have the word "marijuana" in the name. Some of them are activist organizations, media outlets, and even government agencies. But last night, Marijuana Moment writer Chris Roberts noticed that these pages are not showing up when you search on Facebook. The pages still exist, and if you have the URL for them, you can still visit them. But if you don't know where they are, Facebook is not going to tell you.

This is what's called "shadow banning." Rather than deleting or censoring pages, Facebook is making them hard or impossible to find.

When A Rap Song Is A True Threat

We first review the content of the speech itself, beginning with the lyrics. They do not merely address grievances about police-community relations or generalized animosity toward the police. They do not include political, social, or academic commentary, nor are they facially satirical or ironic.

Rather, they primarily portray violence toward the police, ostensibly due to the officers' interference with Appellants' activities. In this regard, they include unambiguous threats with statements such as, "Let's kill these cops cuz they don't do us no good" and "that whole department can get it." They reference "soldiers" that will "f--k over" the police, a plan to make false emergency calls and "bust[ ] heavy metal" toward the officers who respond to the call, and a desire to "jam this rusty knife all in [the officer's] guts."

Seems like social/political commentary on the stupid drug war to me.

That's the attitude toward police that it engenders.

Someone should probably notify the South Yorkshire Police of the existence of this thread.

This birthplace of John Stuart Mill, this nation that gave the world John Milton and his Areopagitica, still one of the greatest cries for the "liberty to utter," is now at the forefront of shutting speech down.

The latest Orwellian invitation to rat out offensive speakers was issued by the South Yorkshire Police.

These clearly time-rich coppers took to Twitter to remind people that "HateHurts". That was their actual hashtag. I'm sure hate can hurt, but not nearly as much as being burgled or beaten up or whatever other crimes these cops are probably missing as they trawl Twitter for rudeness.

"In addition to reporting hate crime, please report non-crime hate incidents," they pleaded. These non-crimes include "things like offensive or insulting comments, online, in person or in writing."

Or maybe just a general notification of the existence of PA would be prudent.

No Safe Space For Cops

In June, an Oakland County sheriff's deputy pulled Dejuante Franklin over in front of a gas station for a traffic violation. While handing Franklin his ticket, NWA's "Fuck tha Police" began to play in the background. As it turns out, James Webb, who did not know Franklin, witnessed the stop. He decided on his own accord to turn the song up louder before walking into the gas station store. When he exited, the officer slapped him with a ticket for misdemeanor noise violation, citing that Webb played the song at an "extremely high volume."

Webb faced a $500 fine and 93 days in jail. He contested that the officer was more upset by the song choice and less upset by the volume. Rather than paying the fine, Webb took the matter to court.

Despite the officer's reasoning, a jury absolved Webb of wrongdoing on Monday. Following nine minutes of deliberation, the jury found Webb not guilty of violating a noise ordinance.

Prior to the verdict, the deputy said that he took issue with the vulgarity of the word "fuck" in the song. However, Nicholas Somberg, a lawyer who represented Webb pro bono, said that a video from the initial traffic stop showed the officer using the same word with Franklin. Because of this and the circumstances leading to the ticket, Webb believed that this was a free speech issue.

Hat tip to Mr. Webb for his Uncooperative spirit. Though the song and his attitude about a traffic stop point to a much bigger problem in my view: why Fuck The Police? Because they interfere with one of the only viable businesses in our neighborhood: the black market for drugs.

I don't look at a traffic stop and think "Fuck the Police." I think "that guy was probably speeding." Because cops don't represent any barrier to making money to me.

If you want to attract members to your organization at a college recruitment fair, can you put a flag on your booth?

NOT THAT FLAG!

Part of the students' booth display included a pro-Second Amendment flag that said "Don't Tread On Me" and "2nd Amendment Since 1789." But because two silhouettes of rifles appeared on the flag, administrators approached the students during the recruitment fair and demanded it be taken down.

According to the two university officials, the flag violated school policy AP 3530, which prohibits “firearms, knives, explosives or other dangerous objects” and any “facsimile of a firearm." University officials said the flag fell under the "facsimile of a firearm" aspect of the school policy. 

I thought about putting it in the Pop Tarts thread because it's so silly but censorship is serious, even if hilariously stupid.

Arrr

I just noticed that the Orange Coast College sports teams are the Pirates, and their logo includes what, under the College's theory, is a prohibited "facsimile of a ... knife."

OCCPiratesLogoCropped.jpg?h=322&w=308

Hah! He has what might be a facsimile of a grenade ring in his ear too.

This kind of censorship has come up before, as the article notes:

Indeed, Burnham v. Ianni (8th Cir. 1997) (en banc), rejected an attempt to exclude pictures of guns from a government-created forum (there, a display of professors' research interests), because such an exclusion was both unreasonable and viewpoint-based. The Eighth Circuit en banc majority reasoned,

The display case was designated for precisely the type of activity for which the Kohns and Professors Burnham and Marchese were using it. It was intended to inform students, faculty and community members of events in and interests of the history department. The University was not obligated to create the display case, nor did it have to open the case for use by history department faculty and students. However, once it chose to open the case, it was prevented from unreasonably distinguishing among the types of speech it would allow within the forum. Since the purpose of the case was the dissemination of information about the history department, the suppression of exactly that type of information was simply not reasonable.

The same reasoning would apply here: The recruitment fair was designated for precisely the type of activity for which YAF was using it.

But the normal meanings of words don't apply to tools.

But beyond this, it doesn't even make sense to read the college policy as banning the banner. The policy, titled "WEAPONS PROHIBITED ON DISTRICT PROPERTY," says,

Firearms, knives, explosives or other dangerous objects, including, but not limited to any facsimile of a firearm, knife, or explosive, are prohibited on District property, at the colleges, or any college satellite location.

A sillhouette of a rifle isn't a "facsimile of a firearm" as that term is normally used, in legal contexts or others.

dogballs really seems to have a problem with himself.

You've chosen to ignore content by Contumacious Tom. Options

On 4/27/2018 at 9:09 AM, Contumacious Tom said:

Censoring T-Shirts

More Censoring T-Shirts

Defendant Has No First Amendment Right to Wear "Black Lives Matter" T-Shirt at Trial

So holds the Kansas Court of Appeals, in reasoning that applies equally to any clothing that displays a message; the defendant in this particular case was on trial for setting fire to a truck that was displaying Confederate flags.

A courtroom dress code is a bit different from the previous issue though.