Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

scotw

Our final SCOTW for 2015 is a beauty! We mean two beauties. Say hello to 26 year old Jessie Zevilkink and her best friend Katie who recently completed "America's Great Loop" aboard a 1979 Cal 27 with their dog Reggie. More from Jessie:

"America's Great Loop" is a 5-7 thousand mile winding waterway circling the eastern half of America, including 13 states with side trips to the Bahamas and Canada. We learned our way through trail and error, stopped when we ran out of money and had to work - or when we ran aground, made every classic mistake in the book, and two years later proved that two regular chicks from the Midwest could become sailors, diesel mechanics, plumbers, and electricians.

I kept a blog of our travels which was later (and unexpectedly) well received ! I now write articles for Cruising Outpost Magazine, as well as give seminars about "America's Great Loop" at boat shows around the US. Check us out and we hope you like the photo! Oh trust us, we do. Good lord, do we ever. - ed.

scotw 12 31.jpg

They seem less than thrilled with the honour.

they actually are! i just got off the phone with jessie - a total delight. look for more content from them soon...

storm-33.jpg?w=611&h=917

I'm happy to cherry-pick another photo from their blog that also features many natural, nautical, canine and familial attractions. Youth is not wasted on the young if they're willing to share. hooray!

storm-33.jpg?w=611&h=917

I'm happy to cherry-pick another photo from their blog that also features many natural, nautical, canine and familial attractions. Youth is not wasted on the young if they're willing to share. hooray!

With credentials like that she probably makes great French toast.

I dunno- must be getting old- they look like kids and the eds enthusiasm strikes me as a bit perverse.... jus say'n...

...nuth'n new there :mellow:

seems like a cool adventure they got up to,though,,definitely LOTS of great pictures t'choose from....

fireworks-and-rainbows-15.jpg

quarterchub.jpg?w=820

Anyone other than Nic as SCOTW this week is just wrong.

Refer to post #1 for the answer to your concerns

I dunno- must be getting old- they look like kids and the eds enthusiasm strikes me as a bit perverse.... jus say'n...

1. there is grass on the field...hopefully like a putting green

2. they are in their 20's

3. good on them

4. Nic is my SCOTW this week

I happened upon their blog and followed them the entire trip. They had quite an adventure, but the best part, besides being young and good looking, was the honest approach they took. They had no experience but learned what they needed along the way. They made many friends and had a life-changing experience.

Thanks, for taking us along on your journey.

I have a friend doing the Great Loop, and that's how I stumbled on them. These chicks are rad, and did one badass adventure. Nice work!

Sweet water sailors that got salty and then sweet again, what a great pair to end the year with!

Yes you are getting old!

Relax...

They are grown women and certainly not dumb, they know what they are doing.

Good for them!

Ages ago, I did the loop and it was probably the most adventurous trip of my life. 18 years old, left Chicago for New Orleans via the Chicago, Illinois & Mississippi rivers. Open ocean sailing to Florida, the Bahamas, Chesapeake, New York, Newport, Bermuda and back to New York to enter the Hudson. Up the Hudson and into the Erie Canal through to Buffalo. Across Lakes Erie & St. Clair, then up Huron and down Michigan. Best 10 months I could have spent right out of high school.

Congratulations girls, welcome to a relatively small club of circumnavigators.

storm-33.jpg?w=611&h=917

Nice setup with the swing away chartplotter in the companionway.

Also, maybe its just me, but it sure looks like that trim could use some gentle TLC...

Legit sailors in all senses of the term, and cute. Nothin' to criticize there, except that maybe I didn't get invited to go sail with them when they blew through the Chesapeake. Good on 'em.

storm-33.jpg?w=611&h=917

Also, maybe its just me, but it sure looks like that trim could use some gentle TLC...

It's rude to refer to nice girls as "trim".

Many words start with ' p ' ........you got your perverse and you got your perv ....... both of which lead to ' profiler ' and probably thereafter some ' prime time ' at her majesty's pleasure ........ but then again, ........ mayhaps Clean could lend them his frock ?

storm-33.jpg?w=611&h=917

It's rude to refer to nice girls as "trim".

You are a sick, depraved Chester the Molester...

I was speaking of the wood trim!!!!

That photo on the FP makes them look 12...

You just can't tell... Thank goodness I made it through those shark filled waters of 15-20 without anything on my permanent record. Sort of... Mostly

If too many of you are seeing something nasty in any of the images these girls have posted over the last three years, then you are the one's with problems - end up being just another keyboard troll...

Honest, strong, capable, proud, wonderful young women - don't hang your own hangups and warped veiw of the world on them or anyone who shares their adventure.

That ability sort of fades away with time. I've reached an age where all women under about 30 look like children to me.

Yeah- lots of great pics that show them as accomplished women and sailors- that ed picked the picture on the front page from all that were available doesn't speak well for him, and shows a part of him that should perhaps be kept private. But then ed and women..... that history is "complicated."

That ability sort of fades away with time. I've reached an age where all women under about 30 look like children to me.

And we are as invisible as potted plants to them.

It's being called "Sir" that I really hate - I can still remember the first time and I was barely in my 40's.

It took a while to notice, but there are fucking bananas in the sink next to the pot. I know, if I'm looking at the sink I'm homo. But still, NO BANANAS ON BOAT.

It took a while to notice, but there are fucking bananas in the sink next to the pot. I know, if I'm looking at the sink I'm homo. But still, NO BANANAS ON BOAT.

Wait.

Thats on a fishing boat...

http://www.snopes.com/luck/superstition/bananas.asp

We can't say how far back this superstition goes, but at least among sport fishermen there exists a belief that bananas on a boat are unlucky.

What makes you think that the good yacht Louise is in any way fishy?

It's only being superstitious that's unlucky.

I thought it was due to bananas ripening other fruit and veggies in close proximity, spoiling all the fresh produce much quicker.

I thought it was due to bananas ripening other fruit and veggies in close proximity, spoiling all the fresh produce much quicker.

It also buggers up the odds of catching an edible fish, so much so that before a shotgun start at a fishing tourney guys are launching bananas at each other with slingshots.

Bananas on a boat are nothing to joke about, this is serious shit.

And as I recall...they never caught a fish on their own boat?

Until a day comes along when they offer you their arm to help you cross the road! :(

Or worse...you become "cute" to them again, because you a doddering old codger.

And we all look 60 to them. As it should be.

And we all look 60 to them. As it should be.

I wish I looked 60 again! Hell, I wish I WAS 60 again!

And those cute lil' girls do NOT need to be told/reminded that, one day, they too will have wattles. Please. Like all of my girlrwomenfriends. Sigh.

Not detracting from them or their great voyage (I read the whole thing some time ago), but didn't they finish this like two years ago? Took awhile for the Ed to catch on. . .

Anyone other than Nic as SCOTW this week is just wrong.

Refer to post #1 for the answer to your concerns

1. there is grass on the field...hopefully like a putting green

2. they are in their 20's

3. good on them

4. Nic is my SCOTW this week

Thanks guys xx

storm-33.jpg?w=611&h=917

Keeps bananas on the boat. wouldn't.......

Elbows on the other hand, look fine.