Sign in to follow this  
lindy 911

Texas Centerboard Circuit 2016

I keep looking at that super cool picture in the slide show on the homepage with 777, me and USA 11, and i can't help but wonder where in the world am i going? I mean we're all going down wind on port tack, but it looks like i'm point 45 deg to the right.

Dude you better bring it this year!! Plus bring the family too cause the girls (Jessie & Francis) loved Castin too..

I'm Pretty sure all our stops are family and camp friendly this year and we plan on making a bunch.

See yall soon

Also looking for someone to do this with. I did a few years ago and had a blast. Looking to crew on Josh's boat or find a few wetas or others to join in.

I would LOVE to do this one year. Obviously, my Laser and Aero are too small. But I was thinking maybe I could do it w/ my Vago. Fill the hull up w/ provisions through one of the inspection ports? I don't know if that's just a dumb idea, but I won't think seriously about it until I learn to solo the Vago well.

A modified Flying Scot was in the hunt for the overall win in the Everglades event, which is much tougher than the Texas event. It has plenty of room for everything you would need, 4" draft when needed in the shallows and pretty fast in open water. I might try it.

Congrats to Claire for having a little baby girl, Elizabeth, this past weekend!!!

Life is gonna change there :) and we have our newest sailor!!

Please take Ortega's work schedule into consideration, too. Seem to recall he's not always available on Saturdays. If we get a vote on when Belton can accommodate us, mine will be the same as his.

YEA, WHAT HE SAID! I have to work the 19th Saturday, so make it sundy or some other, or whatever, not trying to win the circuit by any means!

So I sailed the course last Saturday in a howling north wind and a couple of notes:

There are no (no wake) buoys to start at the entrance of the harbor. We could chuck a road cone across from sailing dock to use as a start line, or Le Mans style from the shore inside the harbor.

Lake is full.

Go around this buoy or go aground.

North breeze is tricky with 35-45 degree shifts above Union Grove park, I think south wind is about the same.

​It's a beautiful place to sail!

Will this be pursuit style or regular Portsmouth handicap?

I think March 20?

Me too! Will be hilarious watching me try and run and start the AC! Maybe we can have a standing shoreline start, that would be hard enough.

True, but it's really fun being the slow guy, my first race ever with these loons, I started an HOUR before Big D, and he passed me at the first mark! Not really but close, and if it works out we are all 'sposed to finish near the same time.

How do we do a pursuit with a Portsmouth ( time on time) handicapping? Since i probably have one of the slowest boats, i wouldn't get to see everyone running to their boats, which is the funny part.

You get a days head start in the 420

How do we do a pursuit with a Portsmouth ( time on time) handicapping? Since i probably have one of the slowest boats, i wouldn't get to see everyone running to their boats, which is the funny part.

You get a days head start in the 420

I might end up being solo for opening day regatta if I can't find anyone with a wetsuit willing to hang on a rusty old wire over the side of my floppy old boat. i'm excited. is there a race flyer somewhere?

Solo is da way! Opening day is always a great time and nice shirt, so bring it, looking forward to meeting/seeing all again, and Larry, you better be der!

Opening Day is my GF's birthday but she's game if the weather doesn't suck. Just need to keep her feet dry because she doesn't have boots yet. Now that the lake is up, is there dock space to tie up to?

Anyone else going to sail a Weta with two up?

Bridge Too Far is set for March 19th. We will run the race the same as last year and years prior using Portsmouth handicaps and a shotgun start.

ALSO: THE PAYPAL BUTTON IS NOW WORKING ON THE TCC WEBSITE!!!! PLEASE REGISTER AND PAY SO WE CAN MAKE YOU OFFICIAL. ONCE YOU'VE PAID YOUR NAME WILL BE ADDED TO THE STANDINGS PAGE ON THE WEBSITE. YOU MUST BE PAID UP TO RACE.

It is also official that the Texas Laser District 15 has added Conroe to it's schedule. This brings the total number of boats to around 50 this year including the TCC and Texas Sunfish World Qualifier. We should have a really good regatta this year.

I am trying to add a "who's coming" link to each regatta scheduled. Stay tuned.

Mike

Ash Beatty and Hank Saurage will be sailing their RS AEROs at the CYC Spring Fling with TCC. For reference, Hank is (or was) the 4th ranked Sunfish sailor in the world and Ash in no slouch in a breeze. Hank also won Wurstfest on an AERO 7. Time to get the boats out and ready sailors.

I drank lots of practice beer Saturday.

Wind gust are predicted to be over 40 tomorrow..... great day to go practice!!

Found nothing about the TCC on the website, schedule or calendar. Signup is for spring series races. If you are not on SA you wouldn't have a clue we were racing. Should be a good brunch. Being based in Austin maybe some of the locals would come out and sail if they knew it was anything but an afternoon big boat race.

You all missed the point entirely. AYC members don't know we are sailing there. Maybe someone there might want to get their boat out of the boneyard and sail with us. AYC's website has nothing on THEIR website about our opener there. Period. Not complaining, just making a point in that the focus seems to be on building the numbers. Certainly there was some dialog about us sailing their as we have in the past. How hard would it be to put a note on their calendar.

IT'S AUSTIN, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, BUNCH OF COMMIE CALI EX'S. OH JUST KIDDING,I'LL HAVE ANOTHER BEER WITH YA SOON!

Yea, with this new commodore we should be world famous at all clubs in Texas by years end! Good job Lindy, keep it up, and don't let big d rib ya too much, he means well! Hope the weather holds nice, keep the wind below 40, I'll bring the beer ya know!

AYC will add a TCC notice to the NOR and website in a few days. Please go ahead a register under "CENTERBOARD PORTSMOUTH". We'll sort it out with race committee when we get there. Lets have a great turnout.

WHO'S GOING?

Red Stripe 4655 is registered.

oh, I see it.

Other

Any other deviations from standard class configurations, including the addition of wings, can be assessed a penalty of at least 0.995. Multiple deviations may incur multiple penalties. Penalties may be greater than 0.995. Please identify any such modifications and penalties assigned and include with results reported to the handicap committee and Portsmouth Numbers Committee.

- See more at: http://www.ussailing.org/racing/offshore-big-boats/portsmouth-yardstick/current-tables/mh-modification-factors/#sthash.PyK50H73.dpuf

You have a Porsche among Fords; why do you need a bigger engine? (Did I really just ask that question?)

0.995 is like nothing at all. Doesn't take into consideration the size of the kite. Not sure how to figure an adder. I'll look into it. As it stands, DPN doesn't list the Weta / your boat so I'm not sure what we'd be adding to.

If we use the assumed DPN of 78.5 and factor the .995, it gives 78.89 as an average without applying Beaufort. My opinion is the Weta rating is too slow, but that's just me. You and John did well at Wurstfest but beat a guy who probably was the best sailor on the lake in an Aero. Either the Weta rating is too slow or the Aero rating is too fast. I don't mean to take anything away from you or John; you guys sailed very well. But the boat you two beat was sailed very well also with a very good sailor, who in my opinion, is in a different league than the gang of misfits that are us...

We will figure it out.

AYC sent me a nice e-mail that I am indeed racing, if I attend the skippers meeting and am registered and will check in on the water. I'll be the one in the bright yellow barging everything!

Whoa whoa easy on the Ford comment! Ha.

And Darin, your penalty is last place. Because there's no way ayc rc should be given that information. We need their attention on the basics. Yes I am still bitter (jokingly) about my disasterous scoring a few races back.

And to confuse everyone, Theo and I are planning to basically take turns racing while the other watches the baby (if we actually make any races). Good luck figuring out how to score that. Maybe just score our boat? Or don't score us and I will continue my rants. :P

I looked at the numbers over the last two years of racing on Wednesday night racing. For DP-N, 4-11 knots of breeze, I am consistently in the bottom 3rd. One option is to try to get a better rating for that range. USSailing isn't exactly being helpful there, so I'm going to attack the only thing I can... downwind performance. With my 8 m^2 screecher, I just don't go downwind in that range, but side to side.

Oh, god. Bigger gennakers, non-class furler jibs... Hey, can I get an allowance for my fat butt in light air? I've got 50 pounds on you.

How are we going to keep it straight for the class association submitting results to USSailing?

Ha.. as if anyone has submitted results.

Technically, I should be able to submit my results with my modifications, and they should be able to accept them.

Agreed. I can't affect that. Trust me, I've tried. I've called them.. I've offered free technical help. They really just don't care.

So, I just live with shitty rating in light wind? OR I try giving the boat a little more umph, particularly in light wind, and take the hit for all ranges?

There's the other problem; without a rating from USS, there are no Beaufort numbers to go along with the average. In my case, the Scot averages 89.6 but in light air is 92.0. That's a big difference. We need to sit down and figure Beaufort adjustments for the Weta that we can use for the year, wrong or right. But I think it might be an uphill battle to get a better rating in that hotrod of yours. People see your transom too often.

I'm actually asking for penalty in this case, but I get your point.

Here are the recommended DP-N's that I have given my club. First is the base, dpn1, 2...

Hobie 14 Turbo 83.1 86.3 85.1 81.1 79.4 105.9% 103.4% 105.1% 106.0% 107.3% Weta 78.5 83.5 81 76.5 74 103.3% 102.5% 102.9% 103.2% 103.8% Hobie 16 76 81.5 78.7 74.1 71.3

Notice that I take a penalty in the higher wind, were I have a distinct advantage.

base DPN-1 DPN-2 DPN-3 DPN-4

Hobie 14 Turbo 83.1 86.3 85.1 81.1 79.4

105.9% 103.4% 105.1% 106.0% 107.3%

Weta 78.5 83.5 81 76.5 74

103.3% 102.5% 102.9% 103.2% 103.8%

Hobie 16 76 81.5 78.7 74.1 71.3

I hope we can use bf's, my slow ass will never win, but if you look at our's it's fair:

Canoe (Int.) I-CAN 79.1 [81.6] 79.4 (79.0),

and since it's always freakin nuking when I go, won't be able to fly my chute, so no advantage. Hell, even when it's not blowin it's hard to fly it, so many things can go wrong. And since the new rules boats (50kg ALL UP) use the same #, I'll live with it, now if I ever win, you can all protest, and I'll go back to the capsize winner as usual.

I think the Johnson handicap is a little unfair in light stuff, pretty accurate in middle stuff, and probably a little to our advantage when it's blowing. But overall I think it's somehow pretty accurate.

It's also just super likely I am terrible in light wind.

So good to hear from you Claire, not the same without you. Not sure about the Johnson though. Theo seems to make that thing go pretty good in the light stuff, probably his Laser experience. Professor Joe can make one go pretty good too in the light stuff when he gets his head out of the boat. But the numbers all boil down to what gets reported and then, what's done with that data. Recently, USS hasn't done crap with the data so the ratings are all old and without the benefit of newer sailing methods applied.

We'll do the best we can and anything that changes (rating wise) will be by a democratic process with the majority prevailing. So time to suck up people.

Sailing the Scot with new Gus sails for the first time this year in the morning. Shake down for next week end. Is the McDonald clan going to make it?

OK. While we are talking numbers. The ODIC has a rating of 79.1 The new rules boat that is 30K lighter and has 40% less drag is still using the old nethercott rating of 79.1 They have been winning everything from the HDPO to the Conn. river race on that Portsmouth rating. There is no way a Nethercott can hang with a new box rule boat. They will tell you that. On to my point.

The IC is a different animal. Few have tried. Of those, fewer will spend the time to be proficient. Both Mikes now know this.

The AC is a bizarro world ultimate sailing beast. We have added a bowsprit, extra spreaders up top, a sock to trip over, a zillon feet of pump- up halyard and most importantly a huge hole in the bow of the boat. Although we have tripled our sail area off the wind the act of launching, sailing gybeing and dropping such sail is often to our detriment. For this reason and the added weight and windage we propose a change to our rating.The AC's will sail a 79.1 rating common to all ODIC's.

Wind adjusted numbers will be 80.1 in superlight B1 and over B4 when its honking to much to use our chutes. Shipping water over the bow does not make us any faster. Nor does hanging a limp rag that wont fill in a drifter. Case made.

Oh, but you do all that so very well, Big D.

I'm hoping the Weta class association can make something happen with US Sailing. But I also say optimists have a poor grip on reality.

Didn't USSailing DP-Ns use to note that equal leg triangles were the basis for the ratings? I'm not seeing that anymore.

But hey, maybe we should just use our own numbers for TCC results. If TCC can get clubs to accept "official" TCC DP-Ns, that would be cool.

Perfectly and eloquently said Big D. We will sail accordingly, and as I said in some other posts, I'll sail anyone else's boat any time, you want to try mine?!

NO, never, we used to use the 76.9 rating that the uk has for the AC's, now we will be using the new rules 79.1 as per IC rating. We'll see ya on the water soon!