Sign in to follow this  
lindy 911

Texas Centerboard Circuit 2016

Don't see how this is a commodore issue! Natural ebb and flow during season. It appears to me from looking at past activity that it's always been dicey getting folks to North Texas, but Central Texas and Houston should be fine.

I plan on doing TCC at SSC this year as I am still far from Laser condition (first Laser sailing in 9 months yesterday -- walking isn't so good), so I am looking forward to a good string of regattas. And the Weta is awesome.....

Commodore is awesome, getting peeps north of conroe is da problem, just come on up, we'll have a great time!

I get what you guys are saying, but I don't understand it. If you all from Dallas come down here for almost every regatta, why won't some of the people from down here, go up there? I'm not pointing any fingers but it seems like, for the fleets sake, some are being a little selfish.

Maybe we're getting a little too competitive and some don't think they can win. I don't know.

I haven't really been to a regatta yet, but once I get my disability income going, I can bet y'all can expect to see more of me. With my force5 and my H18 possibly

I get what you guys are saying, but I don't understand it. If you all from Dallas come down here for almost every regatta, why won't some of the people from down here, go up there? I'm not pointing any fingers but it seems like, for the fleets sake, some are being a little selfish.

Maybe we're getting a little too competitive and some don't think they can win. I don't know.

I simply don't have the time for a 2 day regatta. I live alone and need at least one day a week to wash cloths, mow yard, clean house etc........

I'm coming up and planning to camp, but won't be in the TCC fleet, since I will have my Sunfish. Looked at the roster this morning and it looks like they have added a couple boats so at least you won't get lonely out there.

Oh dammit, secrets out, yes, am sailin Vela's Aero 7, it is so much fun! Saw 17 last sunday, and no capsizes, really a blast to sail.

Well, not to be a negative nancy, but it wasn't a good regatta. First day race committee took almost 2 hours starting the race. I have no idea why. First and second race went ok from what I could tell from shore. Apparently the offset was small and everyone but Brig didn't see it. I think Darrin abandoned to help a kid that blacked out so if there's any way to not penalize him for that we should consider it. They came in for lunch/to let the wind die, which it did for the third drifter. Looked miserable out there. BBQ dinner was delicious. Next day it was really blowing but doable. RC couldn't ever get their anchor set so we sailed around for long while. Eventfully we abandoned and for some reason they never tried again. Woulda been an awesome day on the water. I have no idea why we are not sailing right now. Good seeing everyone I guess but pretty frusterated for sure.

I guess I have a bit of a different perspective. My first TCC regatta was a BLAST! New boat, new people, and a ton of fun. It's true that the RC had lots of issues -- as bad as it was on our course, it was worse for the Lasers....

Darin's selfless act can't be overlooked. The young man in a Laser 4.7 was blinded (as it turned out, due to a circulation problem), and Darin forfeited his big lead over me to help the kid (he beat me anyway!). I was honored to be the guy who pointed Darin out to the kid, who thanked him profusely.

The Weta is humbling. But it is sure fun.

Claire and Theo have about the cutest baby ever!

Can't wait until the next one!

Brig

Brig, I've been going to regattas with Theo & Claire for four years now. When Claire calls it a not so stellar race, it's not so stellar. I'm sure you had fun. But wait and see what it's like with a TCC group at a good regatta. We have an absolute blast. Can't wait for the next one either. The Scot was trapped on the other side of 4 feet of flowing water so I missed you all this weekend.

Anyone know the results?

For the record, that's Darins' thing, saving people. Great sailors are like that. Even if they do sail a tricycle.

And now for something completely different; I thought it was a great regatta! Most likely as I never complain anyways, and since I didn't capsize, it was epic! Sure they had issues, hard not to with 80 boats, but wonderful food and drink makes up for a lot. Kudos to Darrin for his heroics, he gets my vote, and it is amazing how much someone can be better in the same boat,(Hank). Sure I'll get better, know i have to have one now. Anyone want two lasers and a L2?

I'm glad the new boat owners enjoyed themselves, but I was also very frustrated to leave on a day that was perfect for the weta. To add insult, they let the kids go back out so they could get their last race in for some qualifier. I drove over 10 hours and raced less than half that. I hate to say it, but I'm very unlikely to return. It's a pity too, that was a fun lake.

Here are the RaceQs -

OK.. I have to ask. Why the Aero? It's a super light laser, which is a boat designed in the 60s. Its not because it's inexpensive at $8k. I just don't get why a used Weta isn't more interesting? The one in Katy could assuredly be bought for around that.

What makes this an interesting boat for you guys?

I just don't understand why they took so long getting races started Saturday. And if you know the wind is going to die (this is 2016, we have pretty amazing forecasts), why would you stop racing and come in to eat sandwiches for 2 hours?

The second day, okay, the anchor wouldn't set. That's tough. They were trying really hard and it just wouldn't work. Get a bigger anchor, anchor a smaller boat, everyone get close and somebody yell go. Something. But their club members went in, packed up, and went home like they didn't even want to be racing.

We spend a lot of money, missed a lot of important things at home, etc to go race boats. I love that club, it's super nice, everyone there is friendly. We have some good sailing friends there. I always love seeing everyone, but geeze, the focus on sailing just seemed totally lost.

If you can't handle an 80 boat regatta, don't plan one. The guys at Stillhouse know their limitations, and do what they can do, which is totally fine and awesome.

Since Theo and I are splitting days, I'm sure I'm more dissapointed than usual, but I wouldn't rather done Bridge Too Far over again than 3 races.

I also like the Aero. I was hoping to try to sweet talk someone in to letting me take one out for a few minutes and try this weekend, but the wind didn't cooperate with that plan.

I like the simplicity of them and the fact that we could stick two on a trailer. Super fast to rig and look comfy. Also rather than technical skills, it's physical and tactics (not that other boats aren't, but that's all it's got to tinker with).

Theo does not like the idea of an Aero and makes laser comparison comments.

I also think a Weta might be a good fit for us, so who knows. I like that there are several (I hate handicaps and really, really miss one design). Step one sell Johnson(s), step 2 see if we really can keep sailing with a baby, step 3 consider a boat.

I did, but only after screaming around after the races were abandoned. I love the Aero, and WILL have one, will also always have my impossible boat, the AC. Aero set up is 5 minutes, take down and all put away 4. Incredibly light and fun, really amazing how fun to sail.

I cannot sail a multi hull, just cannot, or more likely, will not.

To each there own.

And no, my cap was almost stupid anticlimactic, Ash likes to exaggerate, went over to windward when it went light for a sec. But amazing how easy was to right, being so light, it blows around into wind, makes climbing back on as in Claires's pic real easy.

See y'all in Seabrook!

Who's going to Turnback? They are doing it old school style this year with camping and a party. I have never actually done the real way.

Well, down on the other course we were only able to get two races off for the Sunfish fleet, with the second race shortened to finish at the leeward gate due to dying breeze. Day two was wild for sure, Sunfish don't like to tack in that kind of breeze so getting in irons is a real issue if you don't get the process just right. We started a race on day two, but got halfway up the course (we think, no one ever saw the mark) when they came through and told us to abandon because the mark wasn't holding. I can't say I was sorry to go in at that point as I wasn't really looking forward to sailing downwind and trying to gybe in those waves and that breeze. I think that staying upright would have been the key to victory. I honestly wasn't that eager to go back out and most everyone else seemed to be packing things up so our fleet just assumed we were done. I felt like the courses were a bit long on the south course, don't know what you guys had. RCYC were good hosts and I enjoyed it in spite of being forced to reach back and forth behind the line for about 4 hours between the two days.

Interesting the boat talk. Two boats put up chutes when it really cranked on Sunday of which I am aware, a VX that hauled ass and capsized, and me, who hauled ass and almost capsized. DK had his gps on and hit 14.1 with no chute; I didn't have the gps on, doggone it, so I don't know the speed. But Wetas are freaking incredible, and I suck at sailing them.

Laser v. Aero. I have never sailed an Aero, but for all intent and purposes, it appears to me to be an updated Laser. I spoke to Ash about them, and you trim the main differently than a Laser, but a lot of everything else applies. He told me you have to hike hard, but they're a lot more comfortable than a Laser. Okay, great. But we get a minimum of 12 Lasers out every Wed in Dallas, and we had a high of 33 for a Wed night race last summer. A great used Laser with everything is $4K. Someone said something about missing one design. The ONLY boat in the world that could get me away from Lasers and big, competitive fleets is the Weta. If I have to sail Portsmouth until there are enough Wetas, if ever, then so be it. That's how incredible the Weta is to me.

Regarding the racing, were there massive errors? Yep. Were they overwhelmed with the number of boats? Yes and no. It was a massive strategic error to not eat lunch on the water Saturday. Is RCYC working to correct those errors? Yes. That club is at the beginning of upping its race management game, trying to deepen its bench. The guys who are the best at race management at that club were racing. I am sure things will be different in light of the events that transpired in the future.

Yup, I'm going to turnback. Still need to figure out the logistics.

I guess I shouldn't be too upset with RC. It seems like a fairly common problem. But next year, I'll ask if they can handle winds at 25 before I sign up :)

Here is banner reaching at 12-15

Oh.. and I pulled my spinnaker out twice :) If you cover it with the main and sheet in the jib a bit, it is actually more stable than without. I wish we would have got a race in though.. going big would have been fun.

Running my share of regattas, it's not that tough. But you have to be prepared as a club. To ask sailors to travel and spend money and then not have your shit together, is wrong. All the great food and beer in the world won't make up for a crappy RC, just won't happen.

Running my share of regattas, it's not that tough. But you have to be prepared as a club. To ask sailors to travel and spend money and then not have your shit together, is wrong. All the great food and beer in the world won't make up for a crappy RC, just won't happen.

Well said, I travel and pay to sail. I don't drink beer or eat meat, so I usually don't eat the meals. Swag is always a good thing to have as well. People like the little momentoes, since most won't be going home with a trophy.

Hi Lindy,

Just paid my TCC dues ... hope the $$$ went to the right place :)

I'm selling my Devoti One (D-One ... http://www.devoti-one.com) It's a great boat, but I need something to sail with the spousal unit.

Is it OK to put the details in a post on this forum? Any other places I should post?

Thanks

Jeff

Almost all the J22 races we ever went to had amazing RC. Including Rush Creek. I guess we just got spoiled. Totally agree with Mike. We spent over $600 to do 2.5 races....ouch. I understand these are volunteers, but if you can't do it, don't offer it. I'd much rather have my $ in my pocked and us met up for a long distance timed start at Whitney.

And I would have gladly gone into the marina if I was on a sunfish. Whole different deal. I greatly regret not popping the shoot and screaming around for a bit. We were trying to save our energy for the races, so kept it in the bag.

For Turnback, how does the camping work? You sail down, ride a bus back to the club and get your stuff, then go back to camping?

Jeff,

We got your registration dues, thank you! Send me and email at mike@prosportslighting.com about the Devoti.

Claire, in the past the bus was loaded with your stuff before the first day sailing began. It went up to the park sometime during the day so that when you get up to the turnaround, your stuff was already there. I thinks it's Paleface Park, but not sure. The next morning, break camp and reload you stuff back on the bus for the return trip to AYC. Woks well.

Hi Lindy,

Just paid my TCC dues ... hope the $$$ went to the right place :)

I'm selling my Devoti One (D-One ... http://www.devoti-one.com) It's a great boat, but I need something to sail with the spousal unit.

Is it OK to put the details in a post on this forum? Any other places I should post?

Thanks

Jeff

Try here: http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats.html

Where are you, Jeff?

I'm in Houston TX. Thanks for the lead for selling the D-One.

I can deliver the D-One ... it has a good trailer with the dolly on top. Legal license plate too :)

Jeff

OK.. I'm about to start drumming up the Texas City Dike Regatta. I don't mind it being a three boat deal, but I'd rather it be closer to 10.

Aug 2nd. Who all is likely to make it?

Saturday will be Olympic courses. Sunday is a pursuit distance course. Camping available on the beach and a bonfire Saturday night.

If I can get a few multi-hulls interested, we will have two fleets, but they have, so far, shown little interest.

The Texas City Dike is a great place to sail, I used to be down there most weekends on my Hobie 18. Nice beach that's easy to sail from and most of the time you get a great south wind blowing, which after breaking the waves on the southside of the dike, gives you nice calm waters on the northside (beach side of the dike) to work with. I might be in for 8/6.

Darin - have you talked to anyone from the Texas City Dike Yacht Club? They're a real good group of cat sailors and generally get a good showing down there most weekends, but in recent years had really been pushing to get more boats out on "First Saturdays" (the first Saturday of the month). We used to easily see 20-30 cats on First Saturdays just last year. That 8/6 date could maybe capitalize on their increased turnout. But it can also be tough to round up folks that want to race since instead you can just scream up and down the Dike all day on a broad reach! Let me know if you want me to reach out to them or if you want some contact info.

From Omar who bought joes boat - Hey Claire, I dropped the board off with Ben yesterday and he's going to have it ready by early next week for not too much cash. I wanted to thank you again for letting me know about he issue, I really do appreciate you and the rest of the TCC folks looking out. Please feel free to pass along my gratitude to anyone else that helped, too. I'm happy to know there are still some good folks looking out.

Claire - thanks for posting that message, I do really appreciate y'all for cueing me into the potential problem.

I told Claire I'm sure it was a hard thing to do especially given I was between her boat or Joe's. Inspecting that Johnson 18 centerboard isn't trivial and I probably wouldn't have known there were any issues with it until the first time I had it on it's ear - which might have been too late. Ben Miller's got it now and should have it better than new before next Wed night's race.

Omar, I'll give you a call later today, and we can chat about the TCDYC contact. I've been trying to reach them for some time.

Looks like TCDYC has "updated" their forum so I can actually post on it. Let me get the event set up on FB, and I'll post it to their site to see if they have any interest in their own class.

I may be able to join y'all for the TCD weekend. I'll have to decide which boat to sail if there will be a bunch of cats out there, might be more fun to bring the H18. But that would require scheduling crew lol.

Howdy.

I am changing the concept for the August Regatta, unless someone objects. It will now be called the Texas City Dike Two-Step. It will be a distance pursuit from Clear Lake to the Dike on Saturday and the reverse on Sunday. It is a 20 mile course. You must be willing to sail through the Kemah cut, cross "open water," and Navigate to the dike. As SE is the prevalent wind, it will be upwind there and downwind back.

What do you think?

D-

Bagging the fleet racing on Sat for race committee reasons? Pursuit there and back seems a lot easier with a lot less brain damage.

How would you envision sleep accommodations Sat night?

I'm in for sure.

Yeah, way less organization needed, and I think the idea sounds fun. I'll be able to steal some ideas from the Turnback to see what works and what doesn't.

We will have a truck at the ramp to tow all your camp equipment. It will also be returning to the marina Saturday evening, so if you'd rather sleep in a hotel, you will have a return ride from and back to the dike. Of course, camping is an option. The TCDYC apparently has permits available for camping, but I am waiting on more clarification on this.

I plan to have a caboose/tow boat for both days, so bring your newbie self. Also, if one of the two days doesn't work for you or the weather is crappy one day, just go for one.

If you want to come in on Friday, we will have a few rooms available, first come first serve (preempted by anyone with a baby hint hint). Of course, there are some couches too and floor space.

There are a number of hotels in Texas City. However, you may want to stay in Kemah, then hook your boat up to the paddy wagon so they can bring your trailer to the finish. We can figure that out as it gets closer, but definitely plan on coming!

We foundsomeone. He on the page to register it says *** Beach Cats = Portsmouth *** ^^^ All others = PHRF ^^^

But are we doing Portsmouth anyways?

Nevermind, below it says

Portsmouth (DPN) rating for beachcats and centerboards.

Q: Where do we anchor our boats and put ashore at Bar-K Park? A: Part of the shoreline has been designated for that. You can drop a stern anchor and tie a bowline to metal stakes that AYC will install on the beach. Beach catamarans can put ashore nearby. If you are on anchor, AYC will have 5 dinghy’s, but you may end up wading or floating to shore. Water shoes advised.

I will prepare the Johnson 18 stern anchor...joke...

ok, back to me and the TCD Two Step. Proposed schedule:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1721260898115096/

This is a two day pursuit style regatta from Clear Lake (or HYC?) to the Texas City Dike, similar to the AYC Turnback. On Saturday, we will race from Clear Lake to Texas City Dike. Saturday night will be dinner and a fire on the beach. Camping will be available on the beach. On Sunday, we will race back.
~$30 per boat will include dinner, breakfast, and trophies.
Saturday
9:00am Registration
10:00am Skippers meeting
11:00am First boat away
12:30pm Last boat away
5:00pm Last Boat finish
7:00pm Gumbo? Dinner
Sunday
8:30am Oatmeal and Bananas
9:30am First Boat Away
10:30am Last Boat Away
3:00pm Last Boat Finish
3:30pm Awards
We will require RaceQs running on all boats for tracking purposes. A handhelf VHF will be required. A caboose power boat will follow the race and tow/help as necessary.
A truck will be loaded with camping equipment from the start to the dike. There will also be a shuttle from the dike back to the start after dinner, and it will leave from HYC to the Dike at 7:30am on Sunday.
My best guess is about a dozen boats.
Thoughts?

In talks with HYC and Seabrook Sailing Club about using their ramp instead of within Clear Lake. This should remove the Kemah Cut component, which is actually kinda fun once you get past the terror of sailing under the bridge. The distance from HYC and from Glen Cove is the same. SSC is a little closer. You can see the proposed course in the discussion section of the FB Event Page.

Awesome. Day. Wish everyone could have been here. Darin whooped with a broken boat. Charles made a second half move. I was able to hold Josh off at the end and Adam and Nolan put on the best show at the end. Long way down. Perfect weather. Shifty highly variable winds.

Stay safe. Long way to go in bad weather. Looks like storm is heading your way. Lots of lightning down here.

Ride back wasn't me, but no wind for the whole race the fans turned on for a fun sail back to the regatta. Great deal. They scored the wetas seperate from us. Darin 1 Charles 2. The johnsons were Theo/me, josh then Adam. I accidentally registered us and Adam backwards but no biggie.

If any Austin member can get us the times that would be great. Otherwise all I could guess would be to score Darin 1, Theo and Charles 2 (I think we beat Charles and I think he thinks he beat me so it's probably somewhere close?), Josh 3, Adam Evans 4.

Josh could be in front of Charles. Josh wasn't real far behind either day. He sailed good.

Glad to hear everyone had a good time. I talked to AYC last week about this and thought we had it squared away, but TCC is supposed to be scored as a fleet. This happens every year. I was going to make sure it didn't this year but couldn't make the race. Sorry it got confused, yet again.