• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
lindy 911

Texas Centerboard Circuit 2016

The Texas Two Step on the 2nd? Aug 2nd is a Tuesday. The second weekend?

I put that date out there 2 months ago with the hopes that folks got it on their calendar. I created the facebook page to help promote that date. I'd rather not change it, but if you can get one other boat to ask for it to change.. I'll do it. My thought process is that at least there will be three of us idiots at the dike the second weekend, as opposed to possibly just me on the first :)

ok d, i will yeild to the 6th...i think i can make that work....first weekend of august is potentially doable.

i know the attendance of the beach cats has been on the decline...is that generally the area that we plan to congregate at (where the beach cats typically would have met)?

We are iffy for next weekend. Just been traveling every weekend for a month. But if we get the energy up I'll let you know. I think Omar who bought Joe's Johnson may be there. Also iffy for the 2 step, as we will be just getting back into town from too much traveling. Spring and fall sailing are just easier for us due to summer travel crazy.

IN for Summer Solstice - can't wait. Got a buddy coming down from Austin to race with me on the Johnson 18. We've done the race a couple times before on a cat but it was always a distance course, I'm looking forward to getting in the mix with the monohulls on a buoy course.

As y'all probably know SSC is a great club that really opens their doors for the weekend. We're planning to get the boat setup early Friday and spend the afternoon on the water, in case anyone else wants to join..

Harpoonette and myself are in. I'll be sailing the Canoe (should be entertaining). This will be our fifth anniversary as a couple and Seabrook was where it started. ;)

FM

i wont be in the area when it comes time to do the corpus race but its pretty much crickets on that front. no organizers, no front man, so pretty much ='s no progress. might be a throw out.

:-( ----------- I understand. Just sad.

DTA, you need to get your ass up to Seabrook this weekend for the Summer Solstice Regatta. Four Rs Aeros entered in centerboard Portsmouth.

Would love to, but my mother broke her hip last week. She lives a block away from me. So, I've got to stick around to help.

Windfinder show 0 mph @ 1:00 pm Saturday but gets a little better Sunday. Looks like a good day to have a big cooler and lots of room. And yes, a hat.

Seabrook was really good and really bad. Started Saturday in about 2 knots from the SW and dying. Got one race in before the wind went zero. Wind clocked to SE and began to fill in spots so the RC started #2 and it was a drifter in near 100 degree heat. Worst race of the regatta, no doubt. That was the really bad.

#3 started with 6-8 knots SE and building. Same course took 55 minutes where #2 was almost 2 hours. Got 4 in Saturday with Darin leading, my Scot 3 points back in second and Jenny 1 point behind me.

Sunday was not much better with the wind back out of SW at about 0 for #5 start. Good first race and now tied with Darin for 1st. Blew the second race (got pinned below the fleet at the start and couldn't recover) and Jenny came from behind in decent wind and tied us in points and beat us with the tiebreaker.

Other than no wind in the mornings, the regatta was great. Good breeze once it kicked for three out of six races. RC was great, club was great, all the TCC sailors were great. Had a blast.

The fella at Austin always takes good pics. Here's from Turnback.

http://www.mcdonaldphoto.com/Sailing/2016-Turnback-Canyon-Regatta/

Sorry we missed Seabrook. Also, we sold #157 to a guy in Oklahoma. The other one is still for sale as well. Once we sell it we'll probably either buy two single handers or a VX. Who knows. I bet selling the second one will take a while which is fine with us. I am pumped about owning 2 boats now instead of 4 (the other is for wakeboarding).

All,

The Heart of Texas (HOT) regatta scheduled for July 9th, has been canceled by Lake Belton Yacht Club due to high water. Also, the Corpus race never materialized with a sponsor. So it looks like Texas City Dike is up next in August. Darin Keever is working his butt off to make this a cool race and we need to show up. It would be great to see it on the schedule for next year.

Hope everyone had a great 4th!

Mike

I finally got approval to use the beach for the weekend. We do have some contention on Friday, as they are showing a movie. But maybe that can be a feature.

I also have an RV boat, a set boat, and marks. I'll get the sign up out this week as well.

Congrats on the J18 sale, Claire! I noticed today that Yeoshua had his listed, too, 'jumping ship' on the ol' Johnson. I really need to find a buyer down here in Clear Lake - it would be sweet to have at least two every week on Wed nights.

You are lucky; just ask anyone who has tried to put on a regatta. It's usually the day before the race that the first person signs up. Makes planning impossible.

Also, the Corpus race never materialized with a sponsor.

Well of course. Most reliable wind in the entire state of Texas, and nobody sails here! Oh well, maybe next year.

Shit. Three TCC boats and three Catamarans? I guess we are doing this.

Duwke, If I have the Contender back together by then I might be able to do it. I dang sure am not going to try it in the Canoe. Centerboard arrives Friday. She is still in Governails shop and loads of stuff to repair and replace to make her right again. If I can make it I will.

FM

https://goo.gl/photos/RBx1dg7dahKykzHS9

So after a lovely sail on Sunday, i was disheartened to see that along with the usual bits of hardware that break every time i go sailing, the leading edge of my rudder decided to decompose. I little bit of recip' sawing and a lot of sanding later, I have a steering wing again! Not sure how this will effect the actual sailing. I still have about 10 coats of urethane to apply. the rudder is still bigger than a wetas or canoes, but it's also more boat.

As the saying goes.. if you got a boat, you got a boat project :)

A lot of weta owners have been refairing their tillers and making them MUCH bigger. Seems shady, but mostly I'm just jealous.

I sailed with my new spinnaker last night. I still got trounced, but the downwind was better. My new main should be done today, and I'm already thinking about my TCC stickers. Derek, how do I get some new ones? You got a paypal account I can transfer some funds to?

Nowhere close to being competent on my Vago yet. As soon as I am, I plan to start racing w/ you guys/gals.

So.. I am supposed to order prizes today. But we are down to four boats for the TCDTS (two boats dropped out). One of the participating boats is a local guy with a heavily modified catamaran that has a rating of 66, not exactly in the same class.

This is a bust. I have more beds in my small house than participants.

Cass and Mike, if you guys want to come down and sail on the dike, you are welcome to stay at my house, and we'll go out on Saturday and play around. But I'm not having more organizers than sailors. I'd rather set them free for the weekend.

So, rather than order prizes today, I'm just going to call it. Maybe next year.

So.. I am supposed to order prizes today. But we are down to four boats for the TCDTS (two boats dropped out). One of the participating boats is a local guy with a heavily modified catamaran that has a rating of 66, not exactly in the same class.

This is a bust. I have more beds in my small house than participants.

Cass and Mike, if you guys want to come down and sail on the dike, you are welcome to stay at my house, and we'll go out on Saturday and play around. But I'm not having more organizers than sailors. I'd rather set them free for the weekend.

So, rather than order prizes today, I'm just going to call it. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the effort. I'd say with my modified rudder that my rating is probably near 66 as well.

I'd love to come and get some beta on where to launch down there. i'll message you on FB when i get some travel plans.

I'm sorry for all the effort that seems to have been wasted. It looked like a blast and I was really looking forward to it. Not sure what has happened to our group; makes me sad.

Whelp, it all kinda works out. Dad is in the hospital with a heart condition, and they expecting another procedure on the 8th, so we are going to spend time with him on the 6th. Mike and Cass, I'll have to show you the dike some other time.

I have refunded all the payments.

It would seem that August has been deemed my daddy month, so I will have my daughter for the month. So no sailing. Then there is the issue of being competitive on a F5 with crew, as my parents aren't comfortable with my stroked ass sailing alone. As well as the greater levels of wind than what I get at my lake. Also, there is the issue of no marine radio.

If I ever am awarded disability I guarantee I will be much more active in our fleet.

Well, I snuck out yesterday and tried the new main. Man, it is light. Just moving it around and adjusting it, it moves fluidly. It should be interesting tomorrow.. especially since NO wind is forecasted. Blah.

Main Attached

I'm headed up to NE Texas this weekend, so I will definitely be out of pocket.

Well, I snuck out yesterday and tried the new main. Man, it is light. Just moving it around and adjusting it, it moves fluidly. It should be interesting tomorrow.. especially since NO wind is forecasted. Blah.

I'm headed up to NE Texas this weekend, so I will definitely be out of pocket.

And the kite they made furls nicely as well!

With the dolly you can just about launch the Contender anywhere. Centerboard and cassette rudder makes it even easier.

FM

carefully!!!!

One scratch and so help me..,,,.

Just a heads up for everyone that the RS Aero Charter trailer will be coming down for the HOOD Sept. 17 and 18 at HYC. 8 boats are available to charter for the weekend. Charter fee is $100 for the weekend. PM me if you are interested.

YEA, JUST SAW DAT. If anyone is not going to AYC, KO sailing has 3-4 boats available to charter for HOOD.

And he's coming to dinghyfest and wurstfest!

YEA, JUST SAW DAT. If anyone is not going to AYC, KO sailing has 3-4 boats available to charter for HOOD.

And he's coming to dinghyfest and wurstfest!

That sounds great Ortega! I've got commitments for the next two (Centerboard and Dinghyfest). I will be making Wurstfest. If I don't have the Contender back together by then. I would be very interested in chartering a Aero for Wurstfest if I don't have the Contender refurbishment completed by then.

I brought her home last night.

FM

I'm on an AERO 9 for HOOD, Dinghyfest and Wurstfest. My next boat. I have a nice Flying Scot for sale if anyone is interested.

You bought an Aero? And what is HOOD?

Signed up for the centerboard regatta! Also, supposedly we are bringing 10 Baylor students that will be on 5 FJs. So that's exciting. Theo and I have worked hard for many years trying to get their boats fixed up and get them out in the world sailing.

And, HOOD is a great time. Will miss ya in Austin though.

Not sure yet what I'm doing. Hopefully I can race one day. Also, anyone is welcome to stay at my house. I have at least 2 free bedrooms at my house!

HOOD is Houston Open One Design regatta that has around ten Aeros signed up. I'm sailing my new Aero 9 tonight for the first time so it might be a little premature to race Saturday and Sunday, but what the heck. I will miss the Austin race and all you fools. Have a good time and I'll see you at Rush Creek or Wurstfest.

Well, Austin wind was a bust. Club tried really hard and stuck with it yesterday until almost 5. Died again half way through the first race. Not sure if they ever went out today or not, but we bailed. Congrats to Darrin and Cass for drifting faster than we did yesterday. Actually had 10 portsmouth boats even with the terrible forecast that came true. Dinner was good. Cabins are always fun. Good seeing Jenny and Dave K in his big boat. Thumbs up to Austin for trying. I think we are out till Wurstfest.

I tried out a Weta this weekend. Man. That thing was SLOW. Maybe it was the 0 gusting to 1 though....Ha. Neat boat for sure. Bet it's super fun when it has power.

Overall, I like it. But then I guess I better as I bought one. We didn't have enough wind at HOOD to get my weight moving compared to the lighter sailors, plus my dingy skills are very rusty. When there is no wind, there is no place comfortable to sit and it's basically a torture rack. But when there is some wind, say 3 knots and above, it's way more comfortable than a Laser. Going to weather, on certain legs, I could hold my own with Hank and Marc. I think if it had blown a little more I could have been right in the mix with them as when the wind did pick up, I could make ground up on both. In light air, it's basically a Laser.

With that said, we did get a couple of legs where we had 7-9 knots. This is where the AERO is nothing like a Laser and takes off both up and down. A Laser just heels and requires you to hike your ass off. I'm looking forward to some wind. My NINE sail is pretty strong even with my weight. The boat pops up on a plane in very little wind, comparatively and is a blast to sail. But again, the most I've seen is about 10 knots and all I can say is I really wanted more. Can't wait to broad reach in a blow.

Honestly, coming from mostly cat sailing, I think I'd love a Weta. My problem is I'm not getting any younger and I'd like to sail in competition while I still can. Not saying the Weta doesn't have competition but rather, the AERO is growing quickly and I think there will be more opportunities to sail with guys like Jacobi and Saurage. If you get to Wurstfest on Friday you're welcome to sail mine.

There will be as many as 12 at Wurstfest, fishing mikey and me and lindy will all be on one, think there are 4 available, get on it!

Ok y'all, I think I've convinced Big D to sail an Aero at wurstfest, why dont all y'all sail one also? Could be the most epic bragging rights event for next season, all us misfits in Aero's? So much fun and all even up, no PM arguments, just great sailing, lets do dis!

Contact Mark McNamara at KO sailing, 100$ for the weekend, show up with yer pfd, that's all!

We will be there with the Johnson. I'm digging the aero though and if we can sell it I'd be down for buying an Aero. Theo doesn't like the idea, so start working on him. =-)

OK so I bit. After talking to Derek I called and left a message with KO sailing about a charter. With Lindy, Mickey, and Derek I was thinking what fun it would be to all sail one up OD against each other.Additionally with Jenny, Caire and Theo in Aeros what fun would that be. I don't think that we will get another chance to all sail the same boat with KO chartering such an inventory. The Aero sounds like a little persons boat after reading others comments, but chances are it will blow if Derek shows up. Just saying. I'm in if there is a boat. Wish there were enough boats for the whole TCC fleet. Duke, Lucius, Dave K, Brig, and Cassios? Anyone else?

Big D: Get the NINE rig and you'll be good to go; plenty of power even for you. Fully hiked and at 205, anything over 15 is all I can handle sheeted all the way. Super strong vang and good Cunningham make it easy to blow off the top, or in your case, not. Foils are excellent. Fast as shit off the wind (for a dinghy)