Sign in to follow this  
lindy 911

Texas Centerboard Circuit 2016

Do it, Dion! A dozen registered so far. And some heavyweights like us, too, so windy or not should be some good fun.

Just having to show up sealed the deal for me. Couldn't be any easier.

If you're going to race Portsmouth Dinghy at Wurstfest, what kind of racing do you want? The PRO has asked for some input to help ensure you have fun.

1. Preferred course (w-l, triangle, mix, gates, offsets, etc.).

2. Length of course (time or distance).

3. Suggested start sequence by fleet. Shared start?

Thanks

Whatever they want to do I am grateful for. In a perfect world for me, we would run 5 olympic courses a day. Shorter races. 3 minutes starts. I don't care how many starts we have or boats on the line. I just prefer a lot of races and need a triangle for my handicap to be accurate

If you're going to race Portsmouth Dinghy at Wurstfest, what kind of racing do you want? The PRO has asked for some input to help ensure you have fun.

1. Preferred course (w-l, triangle, mix, gates, offsets, etc.).

2. Length of course (time or distance).

3. Suggested start sequence by fleet. Shared start?

Thanks

Keep us out to the right, that area by/past Jacobs creek is good. I'd race the Aero's in with the Portsmouth So we can figure out the TCC'ers. Gold cup courses 45 minutes or so in length. That's my two cents.

FM

AEROS vs that red bottomed boat Phishing Phella has ought to be interesting

Remember..... anybody so much as gets a fingerprint on that Contender is gonna suffer the wrath of a crazed boat painter, his Immigrant sidekick, and the fifty people who waited with their toys while it lollygagged at the boat spa.

It will be another year before he brings it, and I can't wait to see it! But we(all 12) will have fun on Aeros!

No, have enough toys, am chartering one. When I sell all the lasers, maybe then, but then there's the UFO....

I just emailed Mark @ KO Sailing to see if he has any charters left. Holy crap - there's like a dozen RS Aeros already registered. Wow!!!

I just emailed Mark @ KO Sailing to see if he has any charters left. Holy crap - there's like a dozen RS Aeros already registered. Wow

Looks like the RS Aero is really taking off in Texas. Almost tempted to charter a boat myself if there are any left.

There's mention above about a UFO. While I think it's a cool boat, it has the same problem a lot of cool boats have in that there are no fleets. After sailing for years in Portsmouth, one design racing is so much more fun for me. There is no animosity after the races as to who's rating is fair and who's isn't. Either you beat me or you didn't. If I don't do well, it's my own fault. One of the primary reasons I bought an Aero.

I like to go racing as much as I can, more than most of my friends in fact. I can still go sail with my classless friends and have fun. But at my age, I ain't gett'n any younger. And improving as a racer is best done racing against the same boat, IMO. Personally, I think if you have some Laser experience and try an Aero, you'll never go back. Which is part of the reason there's 13 boats signed for Wurstfest.

But DTA, why you not bringing yer own?, then we could have 14!

I wouldn't go if I had to hassle w/ trailering my boat in from Corpus Christi, and then trying to navigate the crowd w/ my own personal boat. This way, I just drive up in my Prius, put on a wetsuit, sail, and let somebody else worry about de-rigging and trailering the boat away. *THAT* sounds like a fun time.

DTA,

I just got a set of racks for my pickup truck. I wasn't sure how I'd like them but figured I'd give them a try. I back my Aero up to the back of the truck, stern first, while it's on the dolly. Then I grab the bow and pick it straight up until the boat is straight up and down resting against the back rack. Then it's an easy lift to get it on top of the racks. Tie it down with some straps, put the mast halves and boom on the rack inside the boat and bungee them down. I've been driving around town now for three days (my neighbor think I'm crazy) to test the whole rig. I've driven on I-45 at 75 mph and can't tell it's there.

Simple, cheap and easy. The boat will like it much better than a trailer because it won't get beat up as much. If I knew how to post pictures here, I would.

TCC raced at Rush Creek Dinghyfest this past weekend. Derik, Hank, Ash and myself held the TCC flag high. Hank won, Ash was out early with injury, Derik did his cartwheel imitations on the downwind legs and I watch Hank and tried to learn a new boat. Saturday was 15 to start, gusting into the low 20s. Later in the day it was building into a strong 18-20 and still gusting. 2-3' capping waves with frequent greenies, some of which I think pushed 30. Learned a lot and Big D followed us around on his Jet-ski with helmet cam. Cool to see yourself sail like shit.

Sunday harbored the Lightnings, but the MCs, Es and Portsmouth fleets raced in 23-25 gusting to who knows what. If you've never seen a E Scow under A sail hauling the mail in 25 mph breeze, it is something to behold. These sleds simply fly.

Dead down wind death rolls, turns out I had the vang way too off, and the board way too up, would cap to windard and roll over, not too hard to right, but tiring. Deff am on the serious exercise program for the next 3 weeks.

Claire, to be perfectly honest when got mine I thought I had made a mistake. It was a lot like the Laser I had abandoned several years ago in frustration. Down wind sailing in a Laser with breeze was just impossible for me. Death roll, cartwheel, pitch pole and windward capsize were all to common and cost me races.

The Aero is a different animal all together. I have yet to capsize it even when the breeze is on. I haven't even been close. The boat is so fast on a reach that the centerboard will cavitate the rudder on top of big waves but you just grit your teeth and sail through it. It is so much better to sail than a Laser (or anything else I can think of solo). And off the wind it just screams. We were going out for the second set Saturday after lunch and I was reaching with an E Scow to the start line and keeping pace with them. The skipper and crew kept looking back and smiling as my little boat was just bashing through the waves, on plane, never loosing any ground to them. Once on shore, the skipper came over to have a look at my little rocket and said "That f---ing thing is fast!"

TCC in Aeros? You bet.

I'll be there! Chartering an Aero 9. I'm sitting here denying myself chocolate chip cookies in the office next to me in an effort to drop a couple pounds before the event. I've never dieted in my life, but if the winds are light and we're displacement sailing, I want to be light!!!

Howdy from Canyon Lake!

Looking forward to seeing you again this year!

Your PRO for Wurstfest needs feedback on preferred courses, length of races, fleeting. You know the routine.

Please be aware that Wetas this year may race WF I with TCB or WF II with the multihulls - or both if you wish.

Stupid question: are all of the various Aeros to be scored as one-design?

Thank you,

Charlie

Howdy from Canyon Lake!

Looking forward to seeing you again this year!

Your PRO for Wurstfest needs feedback on preferred courses, length of races, fleeting. You know the routine.

Please be aware that Wetas this year may race WF I with TCB or WF II with the multihulls - or both if you wish.

Stupid question: are all of the various Aeros to be scored as one-design?

Thank you,

Charlie

Hello Charlie,

Not sure if I represent the consensus or not. My thoughts are that a Gold cup or Olympic course with a good long reach legs about 45 minutes to a hour in length would be optimal. Start us all together so the sailors that are competing in the TCC will be able to figure standings TCC wise. If you can keep us out to the right of the club in the main lake towards Jacobs creek that would be great.

Fishingmickey

I like it FM!, but if its honkin, 1/2 hour is plenty for me, deff want some reaches as DDW is not so fun in big breeze for me. What Fred said is true dat, but he's a trooper.

So lookin forward to seeing all soon!

Okay, I have been in contact with the designer of the UFO, and my plan is to go up to the VERY COLD country in the far reaches of New England and give it a whirl. Duwke wants video evidence, and I will oblige.

If an old arthritic guy like me can get foiling, then I am pretty sure anyone can. And you know what they say, get two boats together....

If we can get three people to order, we can arrange for a clinic. Clinics are HUGE to have someone who knows what they're doing convey that info to shorten the learning curve.

I will keep you apprised.

Okay, I have been in contact with the designer of the UFO, and my plan is to go up to the VERY COLD country in the far reaches of New England and give it a whirl. Duwke wants video evidence, and I will oblige.

If an old arthritic guy like me can get foiling, then I am pretty sure anyone can. And you know what they say, get two boats together....

If we can get three people to order, we can arrange for a clinic. Clinics are HUGE to have someone who knows what they're doing convey that info to shorten the learning curve.

I will keep you apprised.

LOL. It's 75 degrees today in UFO country. Come on up soon!

Red, that was my thought EXACTLY! I have to wear a full wetsuit when I sail north of Kansas, even in the summer if there's any wind. Can't do the cold water!

I wait listed us for an Aero. We are fine sailing the Johnson too though. I miss one design and hope the fleet gets it happening. KO has a used one for sale if anyone else wants to jump on the bandwagon. If we can sell the Johnson we will buy it.

I thought I had read where Theo wasn't too excited about the Aero, my bad. I get the J22 thing. I have a Capri 22 that's similar and I really like it. So much so that I'm having Billy at Gus building new sails for it now.

See you jokers at Wurstfest. Who's coming?

Me, too.

If you're planning on camping, the lighthouse lawn is closed for construction. Looks like it's going to be the leaching field for the new septic system.

I chartered a 7 for Wurstfest. A few of the old school Viper 640 syndicates, Jeff Jones, Joe Sircely and Steve Flunker are also coming. Light air, being 200# and all KO had left was 7's, I am planning on winning the party.

I'll be there in a chartered Aero 9. Light winds = no planing = my 230 lbs will be bringing up the rear.

Are we supposed to show up Friday for registration? Or can we just show up early Saturday morning?

You don't have to be there before sat, but we will be playin then, and I'm goin for a foil on an S9 stunt!

Camp up the hill by the trees. Don't block the shiny black trailer just North of the trees. The Stunt S9s live there.

I'll be there in a chartered Aero. 190lbs- over 45 category please!! Seriously cannot remember last time I sailed singlehanded. Should be an experience

I'd be talking smack about now if I knew what I was doing. Never stopped me before, but it's been decades since I was on a little monohull.

Should be a fun weekend.

Road closure Saturday morning of Wurstfest 1. Check your email

Dear WFRI Skipper,

Please be aware that getting to LCYC this Saturday morning will be impacted by traffic during the Tour de Gruene Bike Race.
Roads to and around LCYC will have delays from 9AM through 1PM.
Roads impacted include:
HWY 46
FM 2722
FM 2673
S Access Rd
Corp of Engineers Rd
N Park Rd
Dam S Gate
Dam N Gate
Mt Lookout
Spitz Kegel
N Park Rd
FM 306

If you are planning to drive down Saturday morning, please allow for extra travel time.
Your are receiving this email as the skipper who has registered for WFRI.
If you have crew, or additional people in your group, please pass this information along to them.

You don't have to be there before sat, but we will be playin then, and I'm goin for a foil on an S9 stunt!

Derek, They had Leonardo out of the box before we left. Sweet sweet looking ride.

I hope everyone that had to head North made it home safely and without much delay. Looked like some really ugly storms on Doppler tracking across I35.

Sure was great seeing you all again.

Lots of fun. And my hat is off to KO Sailing for managing the RS Aero charters. Hopefully it results in some sales. Unfortunately, the wind didn't allow the Aero sailors to show off the speed of the boat versus the Lasers.

TCC is looking for a new commodore for next year. This "job" is complicated so those with thick skin only need to apply. The pay sucks and the work is hard. But I'm sure someone is up for it.

Lindy

II saw it on the way out, looked so cool!

Rotten drive home as I forgot to go toll road, 7 hours to go 300 miles. But it was so worth it, best time sailing I've had in years!

On December 10 & 11, Conroe Yacht Club will host an Aero regatta open to all. KO sailing will provide their charter fleet for anyone wanting to get to know the Aero and have both 7 and 9 rigs available. This will be a two day regatta. Contact KO if you're interested in racing.

So far, Hank, Ash, Jamie, Mike, Derek and others have signed on. Come on out and have some fun in an Aero.

Also, there's a growing group from Texas going to Florida in February for the Aero Florida State Championship. They will have the charter trailer too. Open ocean racing getting ready for France in July.

ML

He told me mid summer (so maybe July/august). Theo and I still don't know what sailing with kid looks like but sure looks neat. I'm worried it will be beyond my skill level and since we don't sail aupee often we won't have the time to learn it well enough. Also I'm 135 and Theo 185 so big gap there.

Big D and I went to Rhode Island the weekend of Veterans Day to test the boat. I actually sailed the boat; big D was a few pounds over the recommended maximum weight, but he was going to sail the boat until the wind became a loud roar.

The boat is extremely stable for its type. I wrote a summary of my experience sailing it under the thread titled Steve and Dave Clark's Unidentified Foiling Object, post number 420. Believe me, I made every mistake in the book during my test sail. Despite all that, it kept coming back right side up, and the grin on my face couldn't be wiped off!

Dave Clark told me the ideal crew for the UFO will be a woman or a small to medium size man. During my test sail, I had on two wetsuits and a dry suit, as well as cumbersome boots. My normal dry weight of 190 pounds was well north of 200 pounds with all of the gear I had on. Despite this, the boat foiled easily. The bulkiness of all my gear made it much harder to sail, but what can I say, I hate the cold!

Texas has a lot of lakes which will be ideal for the UFO. Lake Ray Hubbard seems tailor-made for it as does Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. While it's been 36 years since I last sailed on Lake Waco, my recollection is that it is built north/south, which should make it a great place to sail the boat. For more regarding UFO sailing in Texas, I set up a Facebook page titled UFO Foiling in Texas. It's mostly a rehash of articles and pictures from around the web, but I try to keep the latest on the boat up to date.

The UFO is extremely well-designed, and Dave and Steve brought their considerable skills to bear to create a fun, economical, and thrilling boat. I think there is a lot of upside to it.

Dave told me the boat will be built in batches of 9 to 10 in a run. I am scheduled to get one from either the first or second batch, and my expectation is to have one in April or May. Dave told me that pre-sales have gone well.

To secure your place in the building queue, go to Fulcrum Speedworks' webpage, complete the form, and send in a refundable deposit. The deposit is refundable until materials go into your specific boat. Unless someone has a life crisis arise, I can't see anyone wanting to get out of line!

Thanks Brig. We are crunching hard on it. He is thinking May for us if things go well. May try to go up and drive one as well. Big D what are you doing?

Wurstfest I will have the pleasure of hosting Mr. David Clark at Wurstfest I, November 3-5. 
We will have at least three UFOs lining up as a class at Wurstfest I.
Dave will be conducting a seminar for all of us who wish to attend on Friday, November 3, in the afternoon or early evening at Lake Canyon Yacht Club.

My UFO will be available for demo rides, perhaps others, too.

Please join me in welcoming David to the Texas hill country and the Wurstfest Regatta!

Charlie Mayer

So looking forward to meeting mr DRC in person, now need to decide what to bring or charter to sail!