Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DryArmour

KWRW 2016 Weather- What's coming at ya racers

I have been asked more than a few times recently what effect El Nino is likely to have on the KWRW weather. The answer is not a simple one but I will do my best to give all of you headed down for the event a glimpse into what is likely on the way. If you are arriving early (Like this weekend) then I suggest you enjoy cocktails this evening, a bloody mary on Saturday morning and some mimosas on Sunday as sailing is going to suck from 6PM today through Sunday night.

Monday should find the wind machine turned back on for some lovely breeze albeit accompanied overcast and scattered showers. High 60s to low 70s during the daylight hours Monday. Temperatures drop and more wind comes in for mid week. DRYSHIRT HOODIES are definitely the call for apparel. Wednesday is looking like big boy breeze (20+kn) so sport your Pro-Tech base layer and foulies on top. If you are looking to shake it down for real ahead of KWRW, this would be the day to do it. Here's the bad news...High temps may scratch 60 if you are lucky. Right now Thursday is looking like Sailing in Michigan day as temps even at 10AM are sub 50 degrees F'. Hey at least it will be sunny as compared to the heavy overcast Sunday through Wednesday...

More later on the actual KWRW weather (Following week) but as you can see, you need to be prepared for potentially windy, cold and wet weather.

Please have at least one beer for me while you are there...

World-of-Beer-by-Felipe-Correa_54_990x66

2002 or 2003 we had a low come through and it was 42 degrees. I happened to have driven down from New England towing a boat so I had a van full of warm gear but you could have sold fleece hats for about 100 bucks on Tuesday morning on the docks that year. Pack smart.

2002 or 2003 we had a low come through and it was 42 degrees. I happened to have driven down from New England towing a boat so I had a van full of warm gear but you could have sold fleece hats for about 100 bucks on Tuesday morning on the docks that year. Pack smart.

On a related note- We are still cranking out apparel for this event and have shirts, hats, fleece beanies, jackets, vests and more. If you think you are coming up short on team apparel, its still not too late. We are working all weekend and straight through with double shifts next week as well to make sure everyone gets their orders in time.

EHT, I remember that year...boy was it cold! Will you be down there this year? The Rhumb Punch crew will be there. No matter how chilly KWRW is, it is still better than the mid-Atlantic in January!

Mark, I am not in charge of crew gear so I can't help you out. Thanks for the weather forecast though! B)

The Ft Lauderdale to KW race is looking more and more fun all of the time. We will have to see how the low developing south of Houston, TX intensifies...

KWRW is also starting to come into better focus. Looking like a fun week on the water!

mark, ya gonna keep the info coming for the KW to Cuba race? a new thread perhaps? LOL

mark, ya gonna keep the info coming for the KW to Cuba race? a new thread perhaps? LOL

Yeah,...we'll do a new thread. One event at a time tho.

+1000 on the dryUV hoodies. Love them, great mid layer and the hood keeps you a lot warmer than you think it would.

i'll check back

+1000 on the dryUV hoodies. Love them, great mid layer and the hood keeps you a lot warmer than you think it would.

Thanks Clean. for clarity- we are offering the water repellent and breathable UPF 50+ DRYSHIRT hoodies which makes an amazing stand alone piece. It is ideal for Key West and really just about any climate and comes in a mens and womens cut. The UPF 50+ Pro-Tech hoodie wicks moisture like mad and can be worn by itself on warm/hot days or as a base layer on cold days. In addition to watersports applications, many of the Ski Resorts here in the west have adopted it as their SKI PATROL uniform. You can check them all out here.

So I hate to bring up old questions, but did we ever figure out the sizing options?? Do they run big or athletic?? IS XL actually XL?? 511, 230 with big shoulders, so I am a tweener.... :rolleyes: Most XL hoodies fit fine, but Would like to wear a t shirt under most of the time so???

Wow, an advertisement masquerading as a thread.....

And I thought this was about weather predictions and forecasts.....

It is indeed looking like a really fun trip down the hill tomorrow. Chilly, but fun. Mostly a run...little bit of reaching. No rain til Friday. Next week is looking fun as well. More later...

So I hate to bring up old questions, but did we ever figure out the sizing options?? Do they run big or athletic?? IS XL actually XL?? 511, 230 with big shoulders, so I am a tweener.... :rolleyes: Most XL hoodies fit fine, but Would like to wear a t shirt under most of the time so??

You are right between the XL and the XXL. If you are a little more round in the middle the go XXL. If you are more shoulders and trim at the waist, I would go XL. I hope that makes it more clear :-)

So I hate to bring up old questions, but did we ever figure out the sizing options?? Do they run big or athletic?? IS XL actually XL?? 511, 230 with big shoulders, so I am a tweener.... :rolleyes: Most XL hoodies fit fine, but Would like to wear a t shirt under most of the time so??

You are right between the XL and the XXL. If you are a little more round in the middle the go XXL. If you are more shoulders and trim at the waist, I would go XL. I hope that makes it more clear :-)

Crystal... Thanks

Just dialed up the latest models and it is looking really nice next week with mostly reliable wind in the 10-20 knots range. Not a lot of light stuff this year :-). More later as we get closer.

UPDATE- Beginning of next week looks fun. Next Thursday may be the day for the lake racers to make a comeback if they are behind at that point in the standings...More later.

Crystal... Thanks

I am 6'2 @ 225, and the XL is perfect. If I was @ 240, it would be a XXL.

It is looking more and more like the decision to skip this year's KWRW was a bad one. The conditions (Except for today) are looking really nice and everyone should have freshly rinsed decks overnight with clearing tomorrow. 10-20 knots looks like the rule all week and maybe even a touch higher here and there. Starting out today from the north, the wind will then begin working its way around to the East by later in the regatta but still pretty fresh.

I am looking forward to seeing more amazing images from the very talented Tim Wilkes...Wishing I was there! More updates on a daily basis right here on Sailing Anarchy.

Alt_unnamed45.jpg

try weather underground

pretty simple

Monday
North winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Isolated showers.
Monday Night
North to northeast winds 15 to 20 knots...increasing to near 20 knots after midnight. Seas 4 to 7 feet. Isolated showers.
Tuesday
North to northeast winds near 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Isolated showers.
Tuesday Night
Northeast winds near 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Isolated showers.
Wednesday
Northeast to east winds near 20 knots...decreasing to 15 to 20 knots by noon. Seas 5 to 7 feet...subsiding to 4 to 6 feet. Isolated showers.
Wednesday Night
Northeast to east winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Isolated showers.
Thursday
East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Isolated showers.
Thursday Night
East to southeast winds 15 to 20 knots...becoming south by midnight. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Scattered showers.

Key West Saturday morning

Geez that gets me going...

Your welcome honey.

Deadly twisters in SW Fla this morning

BUT, tell Mr Clean so far no reported cases of Dengue fever on Duval Street.

Your welcome honey.

Ha!

You never know, though.

The forecast remains near perfect with the exception of it being a bit chilly. More North looks to be the rule instead of NE as previously forecast. Updates in the morning.

Many thanks to all of the teams that purchased a RACE WEATHER FORECAST. Please check your inbox as there are some important revisions from last night's briefing. Broad brush. It should be a fun day on the water with solid breeze most of the day. Have fun, stay aboard, post pictures for those of us stuck in their office chairs...Now GO GET 'EM!

WTF is going on here? We have a premiere racing event and nothing on the front page? The hippies have something about

global warming up there. Where is our man on the scene cub reporter and great friend of STC Mr. Clean? Changing diapers?

Where is our Rolex Yachtsman of the year innerview? Nobody walking the docks? No... we are getting weather reports from a guy 3,000 miles away selling tee shirts. You just cant get good help anymore.

it's a shame--the town is filled with sailors and stories.....

and Benj and Heidi walking around two feet off the ground, very happy.

WTF is going on here? We have a premiere racing event and nothing on the front page? The hippies have something about

global warming up there. Where is our man on the scene cub reporter and great friend of STC Mr. Clean? Changing diapers?

Where is our Rolex Yachtsman of the year innerview? Nobody walking the docks? No... we are getting weather reports from a guy 3,000 miles away selling tee shirts. You just cant get good help anymore.

I know, right?

Your welcome honey.

Just the crabs you're giving out with 5$ blowjobs

Hey now...at least the Pro-Tech are the best tee shirts on the market. At 60% off they are also the least expensive (Like 1/2 the price of Gill, Henri Lloyd or Camet) and none of those companies offer custom dye sublimation for FREE on the chest. Stop by Tim Wilke's photo booth. He has a new opportunity for the racers for images...Wait for it...Team Tech shirts with an image from the event on the back (See attached) and your team logo on the front. They came out so cool!

Wind right now is 13-17 knots from NNE. Protect the right. Stay aboard. No rain today but dang its kinda chilly.

If I could be there doing interviews and reporting back I would be in a heart beat. A large increase in business early in 2016 has my ass nailed to my desk for the foreseeable future (Not complaining). Does Storm Tri-Sail have a press team or no? Anyone doing video etc from the course? Man I wish I was sailing right now.

Tonner Mock V 1-3 Black.jpg

Wind on the course is now down to 10-12 and has gone right to 40 true (As of 1:40PM EST). My teams are going to be stoked :-).

I know, right?

Your welcome honey.

Just the crabs you're giving out with 5$ blowjobs

Dossente sonde licke 'giving' to me.....

If you like big breeze...tomorrow is certainly looking like THE DAY to get your mojo on. Big is of course relative. In San Francisco it would be an average to low end day on the water. Same with Honolulu. For many clubs around the country the racing tomorrow would be called off because there is a Small Crafty Advisory in effect and winds of 15-25 knots are expected...Have a great time. Wish I was there.

i'll check back

just checking back

Jeff:

First off thank you for the order from DryUV. Much appreciated. On the race weather- Today's Blizzard has me a tad swamped in the weather department. Let me try and get something up over the weekend. Have a great Friday.

Jeff:

First off thank you for the order from DryUV. Much appreciated. On the race weather- Today's Blizzard has me a tad swamped in the weather department. Let me try and get something up over the weekend. Have a great Friday.

Mark,

We're leaving Annapolis tonight on a Gunboat, bound for Virgin Gorda with 28 yr old Captain, a novice owner, and his non sailing son who will stay below most of the time playing Dungeons and Dragons. We figure we can out run the storm if it's moving at 25 knots and we can surf to 34. (Or plane to 36 kts. I'm not sure which)

In disruptive technology terms, what are our chances? We're shoving off as soon as one crew gets back from a provisioning trip at Walmart for some poly line and sterno canisters. Should be a beautiful full moon tonight.

Jeff:

Mark,

We're leaving Annapolis tonight on a Gunboat, bound for Virgin Gorda with 28 yr old Captain, a novice owner, and his non sailing son who will stay below most of the time playing Dungeons and Dragons. We figure we can out run the storm if it's moving at 25 knots and we can surf to 34. (Or plane to 36 kts. I'm not sure which)

In disruptive technology terms, what are our chances? We're shoving off as soon as one crew gets back from a provisioning trip at Walmart for some poly line and sterno canisters. Should be a beautiful full moon tonight.

Why does that sound terribly familiar?....Rainman...that's it...yeah...no wait...Rain-man-maker thinghy...