Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strike3

New ISAF CEO

Former British Olympic Association CEO Andy Hunt looks like he has the right credentials for the job, BUT has he been mis-sold the position?

From the ISAF press release:

Andy Hunt: 'I am delighted to have been selected by the Executive board to lead World Sailing'

Carlo Croce: 'Andy will work closely with me...'

I give it 6 months.......

I would guess/hope that a background of BOA gives much more experience of the politics. Or at least, if not exactly the same politics, then at least a similar political structure.

Former British Olympic Association CEO Andy Hunt looks like he has the right credentials for the job, BUT has he been mis-sold the position?

Andy Hunt: 'I am delighted to have been selected by the Executive board to lead World Sailing'

Non-executive director for two organizations (not an employee, no responsibilities, just an advisor), ran a media company, and a CEO of an org with no resemblance to the form, mission, or reach of ISAF New World Sailing. Credentials?

Gloucester Rugby have been at the forefront of club agitation, marginalizing of the the international game and land grab of European Cup revenue. Potentially an F1 connect there also, depending how long his involvement goes back.

paging Huston, paging Huston, Huston required at aisle 101 concerning ISAF, Croce and a Brit, paging Huston ... grin

paging Huston, paging Huston, Huston required at aisle 101 concerning ISAF, Croce and a Brit, paging Huston ... grin

Thanks, but I think ISAF and both the entire Executive Committee and Council, through their silence on the issue in Malaysia, have proven the point well enough that ALL of these people are too weak to do the right thing.

What more needs to be said? Nothing, really.

My but Jobson looks sad and old. Health has beat him up. The other guy seems a bit of a ponce. Gibbers like all bureaucrats schooled in pc speak. So, what does the job pay? What's the golden parachute provision? What's the travel / promotion budget? How do we get a piece ?

Watching the above vid and the pariscope from the boat show . . . . . it is quite clear that World Sailing is in a bad spot personal-wise.

They want to monetize their position in the sport, and create a professional 'rent creating' business . . . . BUT they do not have the professional business talent level to do it and the old sailing hands in the organization are organ rejecting anyone who comes in with the professional business attitude and skills necessary to accomplish it.

Both vids are fine if they were aspiring to be a grass roots amateur volunteer led sport, but are really downright embarrassing amateur-hour given what they are in fact aspiring to be.

And as an aside this is not unique to World Sailing. These Vids are almost (but not quite) as bad as that Coutt's Flintstones/Facebook AC launch presser. And it is true across most of sailing, including the sailmaking companies.

i am more than willing to hate him without giving him a chance

and don't ask me to contribute anything other than criticism, either! my mere presence should be enough.

hate hate hate!

hate hate hate!

The other guy (not Gary Jobson) seems to be a mainly harmless corporate flack with a good line in meaningless business-speak.

And he used to sail an Enterprise at school when he was 7 years old.

Clearly he is the man to save World Sailing.

I kinda like World Sailing because they kind of few themselves as this all important all powerful organization that controls every level of the sport, like FIFA, but everyone there is too myopic to realize no one gives a shit about them except when they're being world-class assholes, like in Malaysia.

If nothing else it provides for plenty of entertainment.

smarm smarm smarm!

never criticize, just sit on our asses and hope 'the boss man' does right by us. sit on asses and hope. that should be all they need!

and don't ask me to contribute anything other than criticism, either! my mere presence should be enough.

hate hate hate!

hate hate hate!

Unless you're into Olympic sailing and so long as you don't let the local youth training/sailing get sucked into the bullshit it's all a JAR side show.

Sure highlight the nonsense but it shouldn't stop everyone else fun.

I agree that sitting still and hoping the new guy does right is not enough. The status quo should not be maintained. All federations need active criticism - constructive and frank - from within and without their sport.

However, while it's okay to be sceptical given past performance, why not give the new guy a chance. Given the ongoing Malaysian fiasco some weaker candidates might have requested their appointment announcement to be postponed or simply run away from the whole thing. Mr Hunt has jumped in feet first and has no choice but to get stuck in. Of course it may all end in tears, but importantly it may not. And, while optimism alone will not turn things around it will sure get closer than pessimism (and in this case realism based on history).

The opinions voiced by elements of the pro end of the sport at December's Yacht Racing Forum suggested that despite the understandable conjecture over why Peter Sowrey had departed so suddenly there was less reason to bash World Sailing than in previous years. It could have been 'forum fatigue', but the evident sentiment was that while there is a long way to go our sport's federation is more engaged and is actively trying to improve its relationship with all disciplines.

If the new man can play the politics well who knows where we might get to.

So ISAF was supposed to announce the report of Malaysia today.

Of course, they didn't.

Who gave the news that they weren't going to release the report today?

Jobson, who did the media interview last week? Nope.

Croce, the President? Nope. Gutless cunt, couldn't expect him to anyway. He's never shown any balls.

Napier, the Competition Manager. Nope. Weasel.

Atkins, who did the "investigation"? Nope.

It was Malcolm Page, the marketing manager. WTF? Why him?

Where was the new CEO?

If there was a time to step up and be a leader, this was it.

First failure.

I've been thinking about this report by World Sailing on World Sailing. So, when you create a report for your boss do you report just the highlights? Might you gloss over some things that didn't work out quite right? Maybe bury a few things that you don't want to say?

That's what I expect of the World Sailing report, it will be fluffed over excluding the information we really want to know.

I've been thinking about this report by World Sailing on World Sailing. So, when you create a report for your boss do you report just the highlights? Might you gloss over some things that didn't work out quite right? Maybe bury a few things that you don't want to say?

That's what I expect of the World Sailing report, it will be fluffed over excluding the information we really want to know.

Especially when the guy who did the "investigation" is also the guy who started the whole thing in the first place, and had the duty to know who really had authority for what. As if any MNA anywhere can issues Visa.

From Scuttlebutt:

"The report was completed January 11, but with the decisions and changes that the World Sailing Executive and Council has decided on, it will set a precedent within all sports. So to ensure that the correct procedure is followed, the report has been forwarded to the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations and the International Olympic Committee for their consideration. As soon as we have their opinion and guidance on the report it will be finalised and made available. The importance of getting this right is paramount so that these situations in sport have every chance to not happen again. Sailing has the opportunity to be leaders in this area."

Non-executive director for two organizations (not an employee, no responsibilities, just an advisor), ran a media company, and a CEO of an org with no resemblance to the form, mission, or reach of ISAF New World Sailing. Credentials?

What's got into you Clean?

Is it because Scuttlebutt stole a march on you with a great interview of Andy Hunt?

Is it because World Sailing is a UK centric organisation?

Is it because Larry didn't like the ISAF and couldn't influence it after they were chosen to adjudicate on AC34?

You state that the new CEO is most unsuited to the role when that interview clearly shows he has a lot of experience in sports administration especially when it comes to the Olympic Games.

You harp on here worse that any fishwife about this yet the company you keep with your strong opinions are Peter Huston and some disaffected 13 year old who starts a website about corruption in the ISAF that has less substance than a whisked sponge cake.

The Malaysian controversy was out of the hands of World Sailing; it was a diplomatic row. The World Sailing report will go to other sports governing bodies to help prevent this happening again. The pollution in Rio is still a work in progress; Hunt is going down there to check out the remedial work being undertaken in the next weeks.

Of course, they didn't.

Croce, the President? Nope. Gutless cunt, couldn't expect him to anyway. He's never shown any balls.

Where was the new CEO?

First failure.

It was a report which, whilst providing the sailing community transparency, is most useful as a document for all sports' administrations to develop strategies and policies to avoid the same happening again. The event closed 10 days ago. You want all nighters from them? ...or perhaps one of your two fingered diatribes with no supporting evidence?

Malcolm Page is a 43 year old highly intelligent two time Olympic gold medal winner who would make a thorough job of participating in the preparation of the report and dealing with the press.

His sailing and sports administration achievements:

International 470 Class
  • 2009 – Australian National Championship - Gold
  • 2008 – Beijing Olympics 470 - Gold
  • 2008 – European Championship - Gold
  • 2008 – Delta Lloyd Holland Regatta –Gold
  • 2008 – Australian National Championship - Gold
  • 2007 – ISAF 470 World Championship - Gold
  • 2007 – Beijing Olympic Test Event - Gold
  • 2006 – ISAF Games 470 - Gold
  • 2006 – 470 World Championship - Silver
  • 2006 – Australian National Championship - Gold
  • 2006 – Sail Melbourne - Gold
  • 2005 – 470 World Championship - Gold
  • 2005 – Sail Melbourne - Gold
  • 2005 – Australian National Championship - Gold
  • 2004 – 470 World Championship - Gold
  • 2004 – Keiler Wocher - Silver
  • 2004 – Australian Representative at Athens Olympics
  • 2004 – Australian National Championship - Gold
  • 2003 –470 World Championship - Silver
  • 2003 – Hyeres Semaine Olympique Francaise - Bronze
  • 2003 - Keiler Wocher - Silver
  • 2003 – Sail Melbourne - Gold
  • 2003 – Australian National Championship - Gold
  • 2002 – European Championship - Gold
  • 2002 – French Spring Cup - Gold
  • 2002 – Hyeres Semaine Olympique Francaise - Gold
  • 2002 – Kieler Wocher - Gold
  • 2002 – Australian National Championship - Gold
  • 2002 – French National Championship - Gold
  • 2002 – Sail Melbourne- Gold
  • 2001 – 470 World Championship - Bronze
  • 2001 – Australian National Championship – Gold
Other Classes
  • 2010 – Farr40 Pre World Championship - Gold
  • 2010 – Farr40 World Championship – 4th
  • 2010 – World Master Games, double handed +45 - Gold
  • 2009 – Australian Sydney 38 Class - Gold
  • 2006 – Australian Champion Sydney 38 Class - Gold
  • 2004 – 420 World Championship - Gold
  • 1986 – Australian National Championship Manly Junior Class - Gold
  • 1991 - Australian National Championship Flying 11 Class - Gold
  • 1995 – 18 ft Skiff Grand Prix circuit
  • 1993 -2010 Represented Australia in 22 World Championships
  • 13 times Australian National Champion
Malcolm Page - Awards/Committees
  • 2009 Australian Yachtsman of the Year
  • 2003, 04, 05, 06, 08, 09 Australian Yachtsman Finalist
  • 2004 & 05 Yachting NSW Yachtsperson of the Year
  • 2005, 07 & 08 Australian Institute of Sport Team of the Year
  • 2005, 07 & 08 New South Wales Institute of Sport Team of the Year
  • 2005, 07 & 08 New South Wales Sport Team of the Year
  • 2005 Australia Sports Team Finalist
  • 2009, 10 Australian Sports Commission Athletes Commission
  • 2009, 10, 11, 12 ISAF Athletes Commission
  • 2011 Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) 'Best of the Best'[2]

Malcolm Page was consecutive winner at the 2008 Summer Olympics (Beijing) event (with Nathan Wilmot), and the 2012 Summer Olympics (London) in the Men's 470 (with Mathew Belcher).[1]

Page was the official Australian flag bearer at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics.[3]

Is it because Scuttlebutt stole a march on you with a great interview of Andy Hunt?

Is it because Larry didn't like the ISAF and couldn't influence it after they were chosen to adjudicate on AC34?

You state that the new CEO is most unsuited to the role when that interview clearly shows he has a lot of experience in sports administration especially when it comes to the Olympic Games.

You harp on here worse that any fishwife about this yet the company you keep with your strong opinions are Peter Huston and some disaffected 13 year old who starts a website about corruption in the ISAF that has less substance than a whisked sponge cake.

The Malaysian controversy was out of the hands of World Sailing; it was a diplomatic row. The World Sailing report will go to other sports governing bodies to help prevent this happening again. The pollution in Rio is still a work in progress; Hunt is going down there to check out the remedial work being undertaken in the next weeks.

Of course, they didn't.

Where was the new CEO?

First failure.

It was a report which, whilst providing the sailing community transparency, is most useful as a document for all sports' administrations to develop strategies and policies to avoid the same happening again. The event closed 10 days ago. You want all nighters from them? ...or perhaps one of your two fingered diatribes with no supporting evidence?

Malcolm Page is a 43 year old highly intelligent two time Olympic gold medal winner who would make a thorough job of participating in the preparation of the report and dealing with the press.

Ok...no one said he wasn't a good sailor......

Malcolm Page was consecutive winner at the 2008 Summer Olympics (Beijing) event (with Nathan Wilmot), and the 2012 Summer Olympics (London) in the Men's 470 (with Mathew Belcher).[1]

Page was the official Australian flag bearer at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics.[3]

I'm not sure what sailing performance has to do with being shoved out in front ahead of the guy who gave a press conference, the President who should have been speaking since day one, or the new CEO.

More to the point, why can't the facts found be released as planned, with recommendations about moving forward released after IOC has blessed them? They are two very separate issues.

Diplomacy is not a flower that does well in bright sunlight.

Diplomacy is not a flower that does well in bright sunlight.

Diplomacy is what created this problem in the first place.

Make rules. Require they be adhered to. Don't honor your agreements? Get fucked.

Quite so. However "Make rules. Require they be adhered to. Don't honor your agreements? Get fucked." could be characterised as an attitude all too likely to start fights, whereas diplomacy is the art of not starting fights.

Any rule is written in a language for it to be a rule. The words used are subject to translation and definition. Autocratic statements such as Clean offers are quite simple minded . QED

Quite so. However "Make rules. Require they be adhered to. Don't honor your agreements? Get fucked." could be characterised as an attitude all too likely to start fights, whereas diplomacy is the art of not starting fights.

What is so bad about starting fights? Fights settle differences. The whole point of sport is black and white, winners and losers. Break a rule, get penalized. If the politicians can't handle it, that's fine - there is no reason Malaysia, Oman, or Abu Dhabi must host international sporting events - nor any other country who discriminates against competitors on the basis of race, gender, age, nationality, sexual orientation, or any other fucking thing they can come up with.

And if my country decides to do so, America can get fucked too.

What sport does not discriminate against competitors based on money available to such competitor. To assist Clean cogitate, I refer to "sport" herein....not country or organization.

smarm smarm smarm!

never criticize, just sit on our asses and hope 'the boss man' does right by us. sit on asses and hope. that should be all they need!

hate hate hate!

hate hate hate!

Clean, if you look back at any/all of my posts you will see that I have very carefully avoided crticizing those who try to lead the sport forward in whatever capacity or avenue they are undertaking because at least they are trying.

On the other hand if someone or some organization does something obviously stupid or objectionable I have spoken up, sometimes not through these forums.

I guess my point is that this guy just stepped into the position and already there are fools criticizing him and declaring failure, which is in itself stupid and objectionable.

It's sad to see that the voice of SA is not more reasonable and is not used to encourage a positive direction rather than aid & abet the voices of hatred and intolerance.

I'd be curious who you think would be a better choice and would be willing to take the position? At least that's a somewhat constructive conversation.

I think it's going pretty far to consider it hatred and intolerance when someone decides to point out the ongoing failings of an organization.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

I think it's going pretty far to consider it hatred and intolerance when someone decides to point out the ongoing failings of an organization.

Except that we're not talking about the organization but about the individual who just took the position.

Give him a chance to do something before calling him a duck.

Some saying about children and the sins of the father, maybe?

It's sad to see that the voice of SA is not more reasonable and is not used to encourage a positive direction...

ROFL...

Except that we're not talking about the organization but about the individual who just took the position.

An individual who had the chance yesterday and today to stand up and take the lead on this nasty issue, and yet, he remains invisible.

This is like if you brought on a new helmsman for a distance race, first time out it starts to storm, and he stays below cleaning the head.

Of course, they didn't.

Where was the new CEO?

First failure.

I'm not sure what sailing performance has to do with being shoved out in front ahead of the guy who gave a press conference, the President who should have been speaking since day one, or the new CEO.

More to the point, why can't the facts found be released as planned, with recommendations about moving forward released after IOC has blessed them? They are two very separate issues.

If you read his resume you'll find he has also been involved in admin for the sport. It's a pretty good resume for the role.

It's a small organisation, he will have been part of the report's preparation and probably better across the issue than the CEO. Anyway it was just a press anouncement for something that's only just happened.

I can't see why any of this amounts to an incompetence on the part of World Sailing.

You and Clean should reserve your vitriole for the Malaysian immigration department, period.

An individual who had the chance yesterday and today to stand up and take the lead on this nasty issue, and yet, he remains invisible.

This is like if you brought on a new helmsman for a distance race, first time out it starts to storm, and he stays below cleaning the head.

A better analogy might be the owner (which is all of us) telling some rail meat crew to fix it after we hit a rock & lost steerage in a distance race, then blaming him and screaming incompetence 5 secs later when he goes below to see if the boat is taking on water.

I say eff all the aholes who scream from the sidelines without helping. Not saying anyone in this thread is such because I don't know what any of them have contributed but you probably know who they are and you must know what I mean.

You're right Parma and I apologize for lumping in with the apologists, few as there may be. You are genuinely reasonable and I appreciate that.

Here's the thing: They had a better choice IN THE POSITION, and they canned him for being too efficient and ruffling feathers. That's why they don't get the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I think you'll find my front piece does give him a chance, as did my e-mail conversation with him, in which he sounded positive on discussing the issues over Skype with me.

It's sad to see that the voice of SA is not more reasonable and is not used to encourage a positive direction rather than aid & abet the voices of hatred and intolerance.

I'd be curious who you think would be a better choice and would be willing to take the position? At least that's a somewhat constructive conversation.

A better analogy might be the owner (which is all of us) telling some rail meat crew to fix it after we hit a rock & lost steerage in a distance race, then blaming him and screaming incompetence 5 secs later when he goes below to see if the boat is taking on water.

I say eff all the aholes who scream from the sidelines without helping. Not saying anyone in this thread is such because I don't know what any of them have contributed but you probably know who they are and you must know what I mean.

We are not owners, not even close.

We are a captive market of a monopoly, with virtually no voice in how things are run by that monopoly.

It is so bad, the Council is so spineless that not a single one of them has stood up and screamed foul. Every single member of the Council is as guilty of supporting the exclusion of Israel as is Malaysia. They sit there in silence and accept this. Pussies, all of them, every single one.

As far as helping, yeah, I've done my fair share for a long time. I'm tired of seeing the good work that was done by plenty of others tossed aside by Croce and this Executive Committee who just fuck over the sport time and again.

Of course, they didn't.

Where was the new CEO?

First failure.

If you read his resume you'll find he has also been involved in admin for the sport. It's a pretty good resume for the role.

It's a small organisation, he will have been part of the report's preparation and probably better across the issue than the CEO. Anyway it was just a press anouncement for something that's only just happened.

I can't see why any of this amounts to an incompetence on the part of World Sailing.

You and Clean should reserve your vitriole for the Malaysian immigration department, period.

You are on glue.

ISAF picked Malaysia. ISAF bears complete responsibility for this fuck up, and yet they refuse to admit they did anything wrong.

Page is a marketing guy. This isn't about his credentials.

It's about the lack of balls and accountability, starting with Croce as the President, then extending to Atkins who investigated himself.

So, just out of interest, what would have happened if the country involved wasn't Israel, say it was Angola?

How many of you folks who are all hot under the collar would give a damn?

So, just out of interest, what would have happened if the country involved wasn't Israel, say it was Angola?

How many of you folks who are all hot under the collar would give a damn?

If you wouldn't give a damn, you're a racist piece of shit.

That being said, I don't know if I'd ever have found out if it was Angolans.

Edit: I guess we would have heard about it!

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 8.42.24 PM.png

Of course, they didn't.

Where was the new CEO?

First failure.

You are on glue.

ISAF picked Malaysia. ISAF bears complete responsibility for this fuck up, and yet they refuse to admit they did anything wrong.

It's about the lack of balls and accountability, starting with Croce as the President, then extending to Atkins who investigated himself.

If World Sailing wants to grow the sport then different venues will always be a part of the plan.

It would be useful for me to understand how you think World Sailing could have put a mechanism into place to ensure any host nation's immigration department can't refuse a visa to an individual.

This has unfortunately occurred before in other sports and by other nations. Sports that have more powerful and wealthy governing bodies like tennis and soccer have failed to prevent this happening from time to time.

Sanctions are possible of course, but how do you predict and avoid such issues beforehand?

Or are you saying that World Sailing organised an event where they knew the Israelis would be refused a visa?

You are on glue.

If World Sailing wants to grow the sport then different venues will always be a part of the plan.

It would be useful for me to understand how you think World Sailing could have put a mechanism into place to ensure any host nation's immigration department can't refuse a visa to an individual.

This has unfortunately occurred before in other sports and by other nations. Sports that have more powerful and wealthy governing bodies like tennis and soccer have failed to prevent this happening from time to time.

Sanctions are possible of course, but how do you predict and avoid such issues beforehand?

Or are you saying that World Sailing organised an event where they knew the Israelis would be refused a visa?

What is this "grow the sport?" Is there a seed you plant to make this happen? Is it a GMO seed?

Yes, to anyone who is paying attention, it is obvious that ISAF picks venue hosts who may have a tendency to not allow all other nations in, and that might also include the US. So fine, pick venue where it is a certainty that everyone can compete.

Malaysia's discrimination has been long known.

You just seem to think ISAF can do no wrong and has no blame for any of this. Whatever.

You are on glue.

What is this "grow the sport?" Is there a seed you plant to make this happen? Is it a GMO seed?

Yes, to anyone who is paying attention, it is obvious that ISAF picks venue hosts who may have a tendency to not allow all other nations in, and that might also include the US. So fine, pick venue where it is a certainty that everyone can compete.

Malaysia's discrimination has been long known.

You just seem to think ISAF can do no wrong and has no blame for any of this. Whatever.

It's a common turn of phrase... it means they want the sport to grow.

That they have picked hosts who then create trouble despite assurances is something that needs to be addressed but there are many (in fact most) ISAF events that have been sailed without political interference by the host country's government. It is not at all obvious that the ISAF picks venue hosts who tend not to let people in.

I've raced in Malaysia and Langkawi is a great venue, I'm sorry the Israeli sailors got caught up in the politics of Malaysia and it shouldn't happen.

I really don't know why you and Clean can't find a person or a decision within the ISAF (World Sailing) that doesn't stink to your way of thinking.

It's like going to the basketball with you guys and having to listen to you boo all the referees the whole game.

It's simply a constant here now.

Tends to pick countries that don't let people in? Malaysia, Oman, Israel, USA... I'd say thats 4 from 4!

There needs to be a deadline by which visa applications must be made in the entry requirements AND a deadline for the OA by which visa must be issued. That needs to be far enoigh ahead of the regatta that the event can be declassified and officials withdrawn with out undue financial impact on the other competitors in terms of orival for the official competition (turning up early to train is their own look out).

Then they need officials with the balls to pull the trigger and a senior management team who will back it should it happen... Oh and NAs and parents who are organised enough to enter in a timely manner

It's a common turn of phrase... it means they want the sport to grow.

That they have picked hosts who then create trouble despite assurances is something that needs to be addressed but there are many (in fact most) ISAF events that have been sailed without political interference by the host country's government. In fact it is not at all obvious that the ISAF picks venue hosts who tend not to let people in.

I've raced in Malaysia and Langkawi is a great venue, I'm sorry the Israeli sailors got caught up in the politics of Malaysia and it shouldn't happen.

I really don't know why you and Clean can't find a person or a decision within the ISAF (World Sailing) that doesn't stink to your way of thinking.

It's like going to the basketball with you guys and having to listen to you boo all the referees the whole game.

It's simply a constant here now.

"That they have picked hosts who then create trouble despite assurances"

No representative of any sport can change a nations policy, only give lip service, smile and nod with an agreement to take cash *now and say sorry later!

*There is a long history of many organizers etc who with the time lag of winning a bid regardless of any issues being raised are long gone or can just step away claiming to be as surprised and outraged as everyone else.

Of course not and my original question that only rgeek has answered is: What is the mechanism that any sports body can employ to do their best to prevent this? (remembering that countries can revoke visas)

Tends to pick countries that don't let people in? Malaysia, Oman, Israel, USA... I'd say thats 4 from 4!

There needs to be a deadline by which visa applications must be made in the entry requirements AND a deadline for the OA by which visa must be issued. That needs to be far enoigh ahead of the regatta that the event can be declassified and officials withdrawn with out undue financial impact on the other competitors in terms of orival for the official competition (turning up early to train is their own look out).

Then they need officials with the balls to pull the trigger and a senior management team who will back it should it happen... Oh and NAs and parents who are organised enough to enter in a timely manner

Huh... 4? I think you'll find that ISAF sanctions a few more events than just those 4.

I think your suggestions are good and certainly you've tried to discuss solutions and not just slung mud about corruption and incompetence within the ISAF. Visas can, of course be revoked so the threat of sanctions prior to the event running must be in place should this occur.

There will be other sports discussing this issue and certainly the IOC has this as a constant in their world.

Those are the countries for the last Youth Worlds and the next 3. WS may be sanctioning more events but in terms of the Youth Worlds the same issue is live for at least the next 3 cycles.

... revoked visa, retrospective action more serious than pulling officials and revoking the status of the event.

The penalty needs to be defined and agreed up front. None of this "at WS discretion" bullshit.

this

Hmmm....

Ex- World Sailing CEO: I Was Fired For Trying To Move Rio Event

The former CEO of World Sailing says he was fired for pushing to get rid of polluted Guanabara Bay as the sailing venue of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Peter Sowrey tried to change the venue, or at least have a "B plan" but says "I was told to gag myself on the subject."

Sowrey proposed moving the event to Buzios, a coastal resort about 160 kilometers (100 miles) from Rio that has been host to large sailing events. Of course, it's too late now for that change.

"The board felt I was way too aggressive," Sowrey said. "They basically voted me out. I didn't resign. The board finally told me to leave."

Sowrey said looking at Guanabara Bay on "fact-based, data-driven models we would never consider sailing in that quality of water."

Associated Press: bigstory.ap.org

Hmmm....

Ex- World Sailing CEO: I Was Fired For Trying To Move Rio Event

The former CEO of World Sailing says he was fired for pushing to get rid of polluted Guanabara Bay as the sailing venue of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Peter Sowrey tried to change the venue, or at least have a "B plan" but says "I was told to gag myself on the subject."

Sowrey proposed moving the event to Buzios, a coastal resort about 160 kilometers (100 miles) from Rio that has been host to large sailing events. Of course, it's too late now for that change.

"The board felt I was way too aggressive," Sowrey said. "They basically voted me out. I didn't resign. The board finally told me to leave."

Sowrey said looking at Guanabara Bay on "fact-based, data-driven models we would never consider sailing in that quality of water."

Associated Press: bigstory.ap.org

This story actually made the Chicago Tribune. Maybe it is gaining some traction.

Come on. It'll make great telly.

NBC anchor: Here we are. Glorious sun shine with the Sugar Loaf in the back ground.

Jobo: They're heading down wind to the finish gate in 25 kts of pressure. It's the medla race and all to play for between these two teams. Who ever takes the gun will take the gold! .... OHHHHHH, one of them has hit a sofa!!!

***queue multiple replays of a 49erFX going arse over tit and the crew eating a turd on hitting the water***

NBC anchor: The added obstacles on the course have made for entertaining viewing at this Olympics. Do you think they should consider them for the next games Jobo?

Jobo: That's got to hurt. All they've dreamed of since taking to the water at 4 years old. 4 years training for this specific event and it all ends with a turd in the face!!!! ... difficult question, I mean sailing has got a lot of extra coverage from being sailed on water contaminated by human fesies but if all the Olympic class sailors die there might not be enough mono maniacs left to shmooze their way into administrative positions and push the sport in the direction they are interested in.

TP "Or are you saying that World Sailing organised an event where they knew the Israelis would be refused a visa?"

Yes! You finally got it!

Ed, It clearly is not necessary to listen to IOC or the Rio committee. Its only necessary to have a pulse. Rio is completely inappropriate, it has been clear that its completely inappropriate for YEARS.

Water sports need to be in clean water. So damn obvious World Sailing even has a rule for it: 55.

Well, if the Rio organising committee tell WS/FISA/FINA/ITU "We're not moving your events. We haven't got the money" and the IOC say "you're getting what the organising committee are giving you" then WS/FISA/FINA/ITU can grumble as much as they like, but nothing is going to change.

You might think that the Olympics are a ridiculous sports entertainment boondoggle that, if they didn't already exist, certainly wouldn't be invented. I couldn't possibly comment.

TP "Or are you saying that World Sailing organised an event where they knew the Israelis would be refused a visa?"

Yes! You finally got it!

I think if you think that World Sailing granted the rights knowing the Israelis wouldn't get a visa then you've got a plot for an Austin Powers movie happening in your head.

Listen to Clean's interview of Malcolm Page.

They are putting into contract form an agreement for government agencies to sign off on. It would appear World Sailing is taking the lead on devising mechanisms to avoid such a recurrence for sailing and the other sports these incidents have occurred in.

What is so bad about starting fights? Fights settle differences. The whole point of sport is black and white, winners and losers. Break a rule, get penalized. If the politicians can't handle it, that's fine - there is no reason Malaysia, Oman, or Abu Dhabi must host international sporting events - nor any other country who discriminates against competitors on the basis of race, gender, age, nationality, sexual orientation, or any other fucking thing they can come up with.

And if my country decides to do so, America can get fucked too.

From the previous thread, it is pretty clear that the israelis must bear a lot of the responsibility for not being at the Malaysian event.

They left their visa applications waaay too late (2 months before travel), then only half assed followed them up (they admitted to not replying to emails), and did not request ISAF or Malaysian Sailing assistance, at least not until it was far too late to do anything.

Their butthurt whining is getting tiresome.

Yes! You finally got it!

I think if you think that World Sailing granted the rights knowing the Israelis wouldn't get a visa then you've got a plot for an Austin Powers movie happening in your head.

They are putting into contract form an agreement for government agencies to sign off on. It would appear World Sailing is taking the lead on devising mechanisms to avoid such a recurrence for sailing and the other sports these incidents have occurred in.

I listened to the interview. Page seems to want to deflect any responsible from ISAF and rather ascribe it all to other parties.

So tell me, who organized the "ISAF Team" in the printed brochure?

And who has helped nullify Israel in other ISAF recently?

ISAF didn't have anything to do with any of that? Seriously?

Yes! You finally got it!

I listened to the interview. Page seems to want to deflect any responsible from ISAF and rather ascribe it all to other parties.

So tell me, who organized the "ISAF Team" in the printed brochure?

And who has helped nullify Israel in other ISAF recently?

ISAF didn't have anything to do with any of that? Seriously?

Good questions. Also when was the `ISAF team' proposed? and was the 'ISAF team' a gambit to get them racing once Malaysian Immigration looked to enforce its prejudices?