Sign in to follow this  
Wally6800

Choate cf 27 where areyou

Hi ,

I live in New England and want to do fresh water racing.

My boat of choice will be a CF27 if I can find one.

I have been looking for a while and the only CF27's that have shown up are on the Left Coast.

Are there any in the right half of the USA?? Where do I have to search to find one?????

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Wally

Hi ,

I live in New England and want to do fresh water racing.

My boat of choice will be a CF27 if I can find one.

I have been looking for a while and the only CF27's that have shown up are on the Left Coast.

Are there any in the right half of the USA?? Where do I have to search to find one?????

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Wally

There is one in the New Orleans area (not the one that fried). Contact Dave Bolyard at Ullman N.O.

I sold one of my CF's to a gal in Panama City, FL.

Gas is cheap so not too expensive to get one moved across the country.

How does a seller of a CF 27 come up with the adjective "ultralight" for these boats...

Thank you for the heads up. I will pursue both of those leads.

Was the boat that went to Florida a good one??

Wally

How does a seller of a CF 27 come up with the adjective "ultralight" for these boats...

Probably compared to his old Catalina 25

Thank you for the heads up. I will pursue both of those leads.

Was the boat that went to Florida a good one??

Wally

Yes. PM me for more info and possible contact details. The cut out transom is nice though...

Hi,

Do you know anything about "TWIX" ?

Thanks,

Wally

My old boat was in San Diego, last I heard...2 or more yrs ago. Guy put roller furling on it.

Resurrect one of em, its worth it. Drop a sail drive in it and cut out the transom.

Easily powers up in not much wind and then just takes off.

Great boat. Rating almost as soft as a Laser 28. ;-)

Hope you find one. good Luck

My old boat was in San Diego, last I heard...2 or more yrs ago. Guy put roller furling on it.

Resurrect one of em, its worth it. Drop a sail drive in it and cut out the transom.

Easily powers up in not much wind and then just takes off.

Great boat. Rating almost as soft as a Laser 28. ;-)

Hope you find one. good Luck

And now it's back in the Ghetto of Marina Oy Vey!

Two of them in Vancouver BC, mine (ex Strait Shot) and one other. i believe a couple on Vancouver Island as well.

The Vancouver one is the old Goose N Duck at WVYC that used to race out of Puget Sound. I raced on the GnD for a season or so with the ex-owners. We won VARC boat of the year one year I think in the late '90's maybe. Great Vancouver boats (apparently!) with our usual 8 to 12 or less but good all rounders IMHO.

Don't think it was late 90s, Maxx. At that time I was racing on Manana, the blue one. We never got to race another CF27. Pretty sure G&D arrived mid 2000s.

Perhaps you are right Nice! as I don't recall exactly. VARC archives don't go back that far but I joined the OR program about that time and stayed for almost 10 years. Might have been '02 or '03 I just remember our OA season win GnD.

BTW - Bill Lougheed, the owner of OR, past away on Jan. 21/16 and had a informal wake for him on Sunday after the Snowflake race and got quietly snozzled in the process. With many thanks with the new OR crew to get the boat there. Film at eleven.

There is one here in PDX that sat glued to the dock for a long time that was just sold to someone else here in town who is cleaning it up to race this season.

JM

I know of one in Victoria, met the owner a while back. Called Flexible Flyer.

There was one called "Stargazer" that started out in Newport Beach and then moved to Seattle "way back when". Always wondered what happened to it - it was a rocketship in NB...

There was one called "Stargazer" that started out in Newport Beach and then moved to Seattle "way back when". Always wondered what happened to it - it was a rocketship in NB...

That was a 33 IIRC. Deaver's ride. Contemporary of the Peterson 34s (Tonka, Ruffian)

Ouch those are old brain cells

That was a 33 IIRC. Deaver's ride.

Don't know if it was Deaver's ride, could be. IIRC it was owned by somebody-or-other Headden (sp?) out of BYC. I mostly remember it because the owner's daughter was pretty hot. All the boys mourned a little when she moved away.

('course, she's probably 50-something now... but forever 19 in my brain...)

There is one here in PDX that sat glued to the dock for a long time that was just sold to someone else here in town who is cleaning it up to race this season.

JM

Glad to hear Uncle Wiggly is getting fixed up. I found the boat in SD and brought it up for Bill to do his magic to in his secretive shop. I drove it at WIRW winning class in an epic battle with Alex Fox on another CF 27 then it got mothballed, as far as I know. Bill would go and pump it out from time to time. Hopefully the new owner is keeping the name. I still have a UWT crew bowling shirt somewhere.

-Snap

Love seeing a CF page. Just a little back ground. Goose n Duck was brought down in 1999 from Sidney, BC. It raced in Seattle from 1999 to 2005. when it became a Melges 24. It headed back to Canada where it sits today.

I do remember a few battles with Snap over the years. (Friday nights, WiRW and a couple local Seattle races). We had a few of them here at the time. Goose n Duck, Dangerous when wet, Straight shot. Twix was a good boat that got tickled up north (cut out).

We never saw UWT after WiRW and our crew took snap drinking.

Love seeing a CF page. Just a little back ground. Goose n Duck was brought down in 1999 from Sidney, BC. It raced in Seattle from 1999 to 2005. when it became a Melges 24. It headed back to Canada where it sits today.

I do remember a few battles with Snap over the years. (Friday nights, WiRW and a couple local Seattle races). We had a few of them here at the time. Goose n Duck, Dangerous when wet, Straight shot. Twix was a good boat that got tickled up north (cut out).

We never saw UWT after WiRW and our crew took snap drinking.

My liver has never really recovered from that week...

Hi All,

I am reading all of this communication with great interest, however, Living on a Mountain in New Hampshire, I don't know very much about the West Coast.

Is it possible to get some help in actually locating the owners of some of these CF27's???

Thanks a million for any help for a long time ocean racer.

Wally

I have built a facebook page for the CF 27. I am trying to gather as much information and learn as much as I can about these boats. I race on one named Jessie's Girl in the LMYRA series on Lake Murray, SC. We are currently first in class by 1.5 points with a record (with two throw outs) of 2,1,1,1,1.

I am not entertained by the flameouts but any real information would be appreciated.

That ones been for sale for a while now. It was discussed a bit over in this thread, I think oceaneer may have gone to check it out. 

On 8/28/2017 at 4:19 PM, swangtang said:

That ones been for sale for a while now. It was discussed a bit over in this thread, I think oceaneer may have gone to check it out. 

Yes I went to see it.. 

To much work for me... it needs quite a bit. 

but for the right price it may be great if you have the time.. 

Oceaneer

Hi Wally6800,

I don't think the question has been asked yet: Why a CF27? It comes down to what you will be using the boat for. Your location says Glen, NH which is an hour away from Lake Winnipisaukee where I assume you'll be sailing. Lake Winne is big, but not that big. Do you need a boat that big? Would a boat that is easier to trailer make more sense? I was just up there last weekend and saw a lot of J/24's out there. The CF27 is a left cost boat and will be hard to find. If you're looking for a cool, quirky race boat, What about an Evelyn 32-2? There are plenty on the Right coast, affordable, most are ready to race, and many come with a trailer so you can bring her to Winne very easily. 

If I were sailing on Lake Winnipisaukee, I'd get a J/24, but thats just me. Good luck with whatever you end up getting. 

On 9/5/2017 at 9:17 AM, USA 5184 said:

I was just up there last weekend and saw a lot of J/24's out there

I think there's also a sizable J80 fleet. 

You should seriously consider a J80 over a CF 27.

I bought Uncle Wigglys Tavern and resurrected it ! It needed a lot of work, hence the new name Junkyard Dog. It is still in Portland and race often. The boats sails are still new from Wiggly Days as it was not used more than a few times.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:26 PM, JD 1441 said:

I bought Uncle Wigglys Tavern and resurrected it ! It needed a lot of work, hence the new name Junkyard Dog. It is still in Portland and race often. The boats sails are still new from Wiggly Days as it was not used more than a few times.

Congrats! What needed fixing? Pics?

When I bought Flaming Redhead (ex Strait Shot) it also had sails in good shape from the previous owners. We've had the boat for 3 years and now the mylar is starting to crack and they are showing their age even from a lot of sitting....Kites are in great shape tho.

She's been in Vancouver BC for the last 5 years or so. Before that was on Bowen Island BC for a bit, and before that was in Seattle. The owner prior to me renamed her Flaming Redhead when he got her (approx 5 years ago). 

We've been enjoying racing her for the last 3 years casually and shockingly cruising her quite a bit as well. Great boat. Still lots to learn tho.

On 2/26/2016 at 9:24 AM, Nice! said:

Where is ex-Manana these days?

She was out racing today! Still looks as good as she did when she was Manananananananana, perhaps not as fast, and the Quantum inventory is probably nearing 20 years old... Faaaaack where does time go?!

11 hours ago, manamana said:

She was out racing today! Still looks as good as she did when she was Manananananananana, perhaps not as fast, and the Quantum inventory is probably nearing 20 years old... Faaaaack where does time go?!

As long as that old Mackin #1 isn't still being used.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:20 PM, Wally6800 said:

Hi,

Do you know anything about "TWIX" ?

Thanks,

Wally

I purchased Trix in May of 2016 and have been sailing and racing her on Lake Granby, CO.

Dan

trix sunset.jpg

• Like 1