• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
sailingjlw66

Key west Race Week

WTF,

why would you have a pin boat w the accompanying anchor rode to deal with, at a <10 boat start??!

that's just fucking ridiculous!

Use a fucking inflatable and save on a lot of bitching and some gas and sandwich expense...

That is sort of the obvious setup. Hopefully they will examine the issues carefully this year and make changes for next year.

What's the difference? Shouldn't sailors know there is a rode in front of the boat? Like the other end. Or did they think it had geosynchronous position stabilizers?

There looks to be a LOT of current running. I agree that as seasoned sailors they should know there is an anchor out there and in the much current, a fair amount of scope. I think they underestimated it, that's all. The RC side should have a barging buoy 20-50 feet from the RC boat IMHO and if you are going to put boats at both ends of the line then the same on the other end. Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

Ironic it's hosted by the Storm Trysail Club

My thought exactly.

The only way to stop folks from underbuilding is to send them out in these conditions.

bingo!!!

Just past the mid point things are starting to fall int place

Bengi and Chris Dragon are winning as I expected

Wicked has a lock on last

Bazinga has it dialed into 41 out of 46 that have no letters in there score

Rhumb Punch mid fleet as expected.

Wings and Deviation in a 2 boat battle

And a 11 year old J80 beating these new designs, Pathetic

But it shows what a good sailor can do with an old boat

WTF,

why would you have a pin boat w the accompanying anchor rode to deal with, at a <10 boat start??!

Use a fucking inflatable and save on a lot of bitching and some gas and sandwich expense...

That is sort of the obvious setup. Hopefully they will examine the issues carefully this year and make changes for next year.

What's the difference? Shouldn't sailors know there is a rode in front of the boat? Like the other end. Or did they think it had geosynchronous position stabilizers?

were those successive starts?

you would think they would learn...

there was _plenty_ of room on that start line!

WTF,

Why doesn't that pin boat have a deadman on their anchor rode? In one of those sequences, the boat that hooked it was 2 boat lengths away. It wasn't blowing that hard that they couldn't have had the rode straight down to 10' below the water before heading out on its scope.

If you have the resources for a 2-boat line, it's great. They just need to execute it properly. Then again, the fuel, food, and housing needed for 2-3 extra people on the RM team is one of the things that keeps registration high. What other starts are on this circle? If you're using this system for a bigger fleet, it may just be easier to pick up and move the boat rather than stream a mark.

I'm not there so it's hard to say what the logistics are of what they're trying to accomplish all while keep sequences rolling on time. Especially when you're trying to make up for a day you lost.

WTF,

Why doesn't that pin boat have a deadman on their anchor rode? In one of those sequences, the boat that hooked it was 2 boat lengths away. It wasn't blowing that hard that they couldn't have had the rode straight down to 10' below the water before heading out on its scope.

If you have the resources for a 2-boat line, it's great. They just need to execute it properly. Then again, the fuel, food, and housing needed for 2-3 extra people on the RM team is one of the things that keeps registration high. What other starts are on this circle? If you're using this system for a bigger fleet, it may just be easier to pick up and move the boat rather than stream a mark.

I'm not there so it's hard to say what the logistics are of what they're trying to accomplish all while keep sequences rolling on time. Especially when you're trying to make up for a day you lost.

You obviously don't know the benefits of being a cool kid on the STC RC phone tree. And if you hooked the rode you can't blame the RC. Ever !

Whatever they have anchored out there. Cmon Man!

You obviously don't know the benefits of being a cool kid on the STC RC phone tree.

You our obbiviousley in the no...... we alle jellouse :)

How much coin does a GP26 or Farr 280 run?

GP26 is around $55K plus sails and instruments. That's with carbon rig. a little more for a lifting keel.

Don't know much about ORC ratings but each of the GP's ratings is slightly different. Would love to see some video from this line to see how the boats are going, but if it's nuking and choppy then I'm not surprised to see a J80 doing well. Flatten the seas out and I don't think it's that close. Time in boat is key here, and all of the GP's there are pretty new.

Just for reference sake, this isn't a well sailed J80 that's beating the Farr280 and the Gp26s. If you look back, the last time there was a J80 one design division in '14 this J80 was tied for last place...

Just for reference sake, this isn't a well sailed J80 that's beating the Farr280 and the Gp26s. If you look back, the last time there was a J80 one design division in '14 this J80 was tied for last place...

Ouch. That's seriously harsh on the GP's and Farr's!!!!

Last day...place your bets...personally I am betting on a right shift.

Last day?

They need you on the Wicked

Last day...place your bets...personally I am betting on a right shift.

Last day?

They need you on the Wicked

Tomorrow (Friday) is still up in the air from a forecast standpoint. I can pretty much guarantee some rain starting in the morning. The wind is the "iffy" part. Could be boring, could be blustery. We'll have to see if the low over south Texas behaves on track and intensity as it tracks generally eastward today.

The owner of the 80 is quoted in today's scuttlebutt saying the favorable rating helps

The same J80 also finished 3rd last year (only 4 boats in the fleet, and all were much larger). The GPs and 280s are not Jboats, and require a bit more time in the boat to get up to speed. ALL of the GPs are very new to the teams. For one of the GPs, this is their first regatta in the boat.

Getting a boat up to speed takes more than 2 or 3 races. Somehow we forget that and assume a new design should crush everything right out of the gate.

Fair enough, but in general the GP's are finishing 3 - 5 minutes ahead of the J80 and getting line honors. Draw your own conclusions about the ratings :)

Damn, We sailed the Weta Nationals this year in 25-30...

I'd be pissed if I hauled my M24 to KW only to sit on the shore in 25+.

And yet it sounds like the time you dropped your M24 rig down there.

The owner of the 80 is quoted in today's scuttlebutt saying the favorable rating helps

At least it's not an arbitrary rating like phrf

sorry no

You're fucking useless

Total boats on the line = 119, up 5 from last year. First uptick since 2003, I believe, and I'd call that a major victory. Well done to the organizers.

Total boats on the line = 119, up 5 from last year. First uptick since 2003, I believe, and I'd call that a major victory. Well done to the organizers.

Hmmmm maybe you need to count again? I counted 119 on the line last year...

Fair enough, but in general the GP's are finishing 3 - 5 minutes ahead of the J80 and getting line honors. Draw your own conclusions about the ratings :)

For reference race 8 was only 4.6 miles and the Farr 280 finished exactly 8 minutes ahead of the J80 and only won by 24 seconds.

A j80 rates between 114-120 and a Farr 54ish

Orc 1 is being dominated by th 122's. Not surprising that teamwork is winning but beating third place by minutes?

Guess you need a J boat to win under ORC

Hmmmm maybe you need to count again? I counted 119 on the line last year...

I got 114. I do not count the registered boats that DNC all races, and you have to dig through all results to get there. Confusing too with HPR and corinthian and swan 42 subclasses, but those are all repeats.

The scratch boat in ORC1 is being beaten boat for boat by the J122s by about 15 minutes per race.

I dont think the rating is coming into play.

119 taking out the DNCs and duplicates

Ive registered for races on Yachtscoring in the past and then had to withdraw weeks before the event,

and the organizer told me he would leave my boat on until the scratch sheet came out to make it look

like more entries. Dumb

"Diesel" takes lead at Quantum Key West Race Week

Found this in my inbox this morning. Bullshit Marketing propaganda by Farr.

Diesel was lying in tied third place in their actual class and not some wonder bullshit Farr 280 class.

Sorry Farr you guys are fools.

For reference race 8 was only 4.6 miles and the Farr 280 finished exactly 8 minutes ahead of the J80 and only won by 24 seconds.

Orc 1 is being dominated by th 122's. Not surprising that teamwork is winning but beating third place by minutes?

30 degree righty this afternoon rolled through. Great job to everyone that leveraged that side of the wheel. Tomorrow is still up in the air. The storm over the southern central portion of the country has just started to wind up. Jury is still out on whether or not this one will fall into the severe category. If you are trailering up the state on Saturday there could be some pretty strong westerlies...Just sayin'

Top three in this division have consistently been within 10-50 sec on corrected time. Looks like the ratings seem to be pretty close to spot on.

Top three in this division have consistently been within 10-50 sec on corrected time. Looks like the ratings seem to be pretty close to spot on.[/

Your right but you must of skipped the comments about this particular j80.

Baby steps. Well done to all of the competitors for making it happen as well. I'd love to get back there and be part of another uptick next year.

Could someone tell me how the rating on Christopher Dragon went down 2 ticks after their last fall regatta when rumor says they've taken weight out of the boat?

Could someone tell me how the rating on Christopher Dragon went down 2 ticks after their last fall regatta when rumor says they've taken weight out of the boat?

What ever they did it seems to work.. nice score so far, all bullets. Great looking boat.

What ever they did it seems to work.. nice score so far, all bullets. Great looking boat.

Do not personally know the details, but IRC has variables in their equation that change year to year. A variable may have changed now that it is 2016 changing their rating. There is also an age variable they may have picked up now that it is a new year. These may have offset the weight change, even swinging it the other way.

That boat has been hard to beat in IRC. Just look to BIRW last year in the around the island race. I saw them blow out their chute when set on the backside and then two sail run for quite a while before setting a new chute. They corrected out in first, and IIRC about 3 minutes over second.

Damn, We sailed the Weta Nationals this year in 25-30...

I'd be pissed if I hauled my M24 to KW only to sit on the shore in 25+.

And yet it sounds like the time you dropped your M24 rig down there.

We launched the spin, plowed into the back of a wave, backstay broke, and rig came down.

I'd do it again...

Only one race scheduled for all divisions except 2... this should be interesting.

Div 2 might have had some lobbying going on...

seems a bit silly to hold to the 1-race friday sched when you lose a full day of racing earlier in the week.

I know one Rolex Yachstman of the Year 1/2 point out of first that wont be happy with this decison.

You can race Melges 24s and J70's but not TP52s in these conditions?

Div-1 Quantum Sails Day – Just One More!

January 22, 2016 SEBE

PRO Ken Legler has announced that we are abandoning racing for the day due to the unsafe conditions.

Most classes are locked up. Will Be a great shoootout with the two TP52s today.

Same with the Melges 24s!

Looks like our client Richard Thompson pulled it out with yet another bullet today in the competitive Melges 24 class. I don't think anyone could possibly now argue that the Pro-Tech and Pro-Elite polos are the FASTEST shirts available on the market today ;-). GO THE BLACK SEAL!

Photographer Tim Wilkes captured some AMAZING images as well all week.

Black Seal Racing KWRW 2016.jpg

Rut Roh..There's a cell with a nicely defined hook in it moving East rapidly. The waterspout may pass just to the north of Key West,

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE KEY WEST FL1256 PM EST FRI JAN 22 2016THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN KEY WEST HAS ISSUED A* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...  HAWK CHANNEL AND STRAITS OF FLORIDA FROM WEST END OF SEVEN MILE  BRIDGE TO 20 NM WEST OF DRY TORTUGAS OUT 20 NM...  GULF OF MEXICO FROM WEST END OF SEVEN MILE BRIDGE TO HALFMOON SHOAL  OUT TO 5 FATHOMS...  GULF OF MEXICO INCLUDING DRY TORTUGAS AND REBECCA SHOAL CHANNEL...  GULF WATERS FROM EAST CAPE SABLE TO CHOKOLOSKEE 20 TO 60 NM OUT AND  BEYOND 5 FATHOMS...* UNTIL 200 PM EST* AT 1255 PM EST...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A LINE OF STRONG  THUNDERSTORMS...CAPABLE OF PRODUCING WINDS 34 KNOTS OR GREATER...  LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 16 NM NORTH OF PULASKI SHOAL  LIGHT TO 6 NM SOUTH OF TORTUGAS ECOLOGICAL RESERVE SOUTH...MOVING  EAST AT 20 TO 25 KNOTS.PREPARE FOR WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 35 KNOTS...STEEP ANDFAST-BUILDING SEAS...AND BLINDING DOWNPOURS. MAKE SURE ALL ON BOARDARE WEARING LIFE JACKETS.

I don't blame them for scrubbing. But only parts of the fleet?

THIS is why we need our half baked Jew lawyer cub reporter Mr. Clean down there on the scene!

The Corsair 28R absolutely CRUSHED the Gunboat this week. They should get boat of the regatta.

I think the 30's, the 70's, and the 24's got out an hour earlier. I'm assuming that's how they got one in before the breeze came on more.

The Division 2 PRO Dave Brennan has the crew out on the course an hour earlier than normal. It is blowing 14 – 16 knots from 190 and rather lumpy with 3 to 5 feet seas.

Standing by for a start at 1030.

THIS is why we need our half baked Jew lawyer cub reporter Mr. Clean down there on the scene!

half-baked?

Looks like our client Richard Thompson pulled it out with yet another bullet today in the competitive Melges 24 class. I don't think anyone could possibly now argue that the Pro-Tech and Pro-Elite polos are the FASTEST shirts available on the market today ;-). GO THE BLACK SEAL!

Former Finn stud Jamie Lea at the helm, I believe. But the real star is former SCOTW (and maybe due for a repeat) Krista Paxton, bowgirl. Love that girl.

Former Finn stud Jamie Lea at the helm, I believe. But the real star is former SCOTW (and maybe due for a repeat) Krista Paxton, bowgirl. Love that girl.

You should see her in the women's Pro-Tech...oh my...Asked Richard for some pictures once everything gets squared away.

half-baked?

Makes sense to everybody else.

Someone down there says its so windy they're holding down cranes with other cranes

Video from today

J70 with a rig down towards the end

Actually it was a M24. Friends of mine on Shaka.

C&C 30 looks like the best combination of: fun boat, good fleet size, and the even competition of OD sailing of any fleet at the regatta

Agreed. it really is a great combo of Grand Prix performance in a decently sized package.

Shout out to Ed Feo and the boys on Loco for getting a podium finish. Even with an OCS start and a 7th in the final race. Way to make it difficult! Easy is just dull!

half-baked?

I adgree, tottalley fride :)

Someone down there says its so windy they're holding down cranes with other cranes

Video from todayJ70 with a rig down towards the endhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzjpyLagQpI&feature=youtu.be&a

Sure doesn't look very windy. Have we come to the point where one design boats can't sail in the conditions that get our heart rates up? I may have spent my sailing career in the Gulf of the Farallones but come on!!! Skelton Key is one small example of managing top of the 3 conditions! Right? This is bullshit.

C&C 30 looks like the best combination of: fun boat, good fleet size, and the even competition of OD sailing of any fleet at the regatta

You can't do well in that division unless you hire 3 pro's. You might as well just buy a trophy.

half-baked?

Makes sense to everybody else.

I thought my fully-baked status was obvious to everyone. I certainly don't hide it.

You can't do well in that division unless you hire 3 pro's. You might as well just buy a trophy.

Expo hase a binch he dossente wante, coud gette cheepe. :)

Div 2 might have had some lobbying going on...

seems a bit silly to hold to the 1-race friday sched when you lose a full day of racing earlier in the week.

Well worth the money for some classes, 3 days of sailing.

Isn't 3 days of sailing at Charleston, for 1/3 the cost?

Just checking

It's 30 gusting 39, so yeah...windy.

Would be just another day at the office for my boys

The same can be said of the J/70 class! Most of the top boats are loaded with Pro's. All but 12 boats out of 54 had at least one Pro. C&C 30 looks awesome, wish I had mad money to afford one!

well, that's too bad for the class.., but it wouldn't really bother me - i don't mind losing to pro's

i think the effect of pro's is way overstated - there is another thread going the same direction

in any big class at an important event, how many boats have a realistic chance of winning, or finishing in the top 3?

look at the etchells - they get 75+ boats, and even with pro's maybe 10 boats have any chance of finishing in the top 3.., and everyone knows this

what about the other 65 - are they just wasting their time?

no - they are there to have fun and do as well as they can

that's enough for most people