• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Clove Hitch

Historic blizzard incoming!

Damn.

Haven't seen snow this deep all at once since the blizzard in 1996.

Shoveled a path for the dog, and cleared the mountains of snow off the bird feeders.

Cleared snow away from the hot water heater exhaust pipe at the side of the house.

Was able to start the snow blower, but the snow is too deep to use it.

Not that it matters, the street hasn't been plowed yet, and I'm not going anywhere...

What's the snow like? Light and fluffy (easy to move) or wet and heavy (cardiac unit time)?

I gotta drink my coffee now and get out there to shovel a path for the dog.

Holy Hell.

......don't worry 'bout it,,,I'm sure your dog is happy to toilet train :mellow:

No pics from anyone yet ?

.......here you go,,official blizzicane picture........

........you're welcome :)

SOMD/Leonardtown has between 11 and 13 (I've got just under 13). Medium heavy with 3" of heavy sleet sandwiched in.

Starting to think I should she stuck to my plan to sleep in the car at a mountain... but given the way it's still coming down the best is probably still to come.

Damn.

Haven't seen snow this deep all at once since the blizzard in 1996.

Shoveled a path for the dog, and cleared the mountains of snow off the bird feeders.

Cleared snow away from the hot water heater exhaust pipe at the side of the house.

Was able to start the snow blower, but the snow is too deep to use it.

Not that it matters, the street hasn't been plowed yet, and I'm not going anywhere...

What's the snow like? Light and fluffy (easy to move) or wet and heavy (cardiac unit time)?

It's light and fluffy, but we've got 27" so far, and still coming down at about 1-2" an hour.

Got about 10" in lower Westchester County, just north east of NYC. Still coming down steadily. All in all not too bad, temps not dramatic, wind no where's near as stiff as predicted.

Ran the Ariens for a couple of hours this morning. Cleared our drive and path as well as 4 closest neighbors..... didn't get crazy, just made it possible for them to get out if an emergency arises. Plow came down our road so we can go out if necessary.

I am sure some are struggling but it is basically serene in our neck of the woods.

I lived in Madison Wisconson 59' to 66' and I remember waking up in the morning with 3 to 4 foot of snow in the yard. Good thing my mom and dad had 5 boys.

Shovel the snow and play, kept us fit and active in the winter months.

It will be rain. No snow this year

About a foot of rain in Riverton at 11:00 AM today Doc (-:

Occasionally the doom and gloom people are correct. Did the driveway and waiting to be plowed in. Winter Jack in my cup to keep me warm.

I gotta drink my coffee now and get out there to shovel a path for the dog.

Holy Hell.

......don't worry 'bout it,,,I'm sure your dog is happy to toilet train :mellow:

No pics from anyone yet ?

.......here you go,,official blizzicane picture........

........you're welcome :)

Wow is my screen dirty ! ^_^

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-east-snow-blizzard-1.3416866

We have almost 31" now, about four inches more than an hour ago.

I have never seen such heavy snowfall.

That's a fuck load of snow. Where I'm at in Minnesota it's uncommon to get more than a foot, but in a snowy year we'll get 4-6 about every five or six days, and it doesn't go away until April. A couple of years ago it snowed something ridiculous like May 7th, didn't stay, but usually by that point you're mentally done with winter. I'm sure the suicide rate sky rockets when that happens.

How much will the population go up in late September this year on the east coast?

How much will the population go up in late September this year on the east coast?

...maybe a fair bit if the mums don't take holidays in central america. :mellow::unsure:

this is the view from on e of my "offices" this morning. Spent time in a backhoe, plow truck, 30 year old John Deere tractor and a skid loader since Friday afternoon.

12376381_10156392036095332_6159020685741

deblassio has lost his mind. He has now ordered all bridges and tunnels in and out of NYC to be closed. Has ordered a large portion of the subway system to be shut down as well. NYC is out of control.

deblassio has lost his mind. He has now ordered all bridges and tunnels in and out of NYC to be closed. Has ordered a large portion of the subway system to be shut down as well. NYC is out of control.

And what's worse, most of the bars are closing too.

sp_zpsjkuxa94x.jpg

Hard to tell how much has fallen, as it is blowing around. I did take the snowblower around the corner and there was a drift about 4-4.5 feet deep. Took a bit of work, but carved a path through for my neighbor.

I think we'll be pretty much shut down for a week.

Forecast upped to 18-24" here, gusting 50. My daughter's due date is tomorrow. Fingers crossed the baby stays put for a few more days!

Best of luck to you and yours, Gramps

This would make me a little nervous.

Just shoveled the drive way the second time today. Looks like they plowed my street once. Suspect it'll need one more pass by tomorrow morning to get out to the street but I'll be mostly ready...

Yes I googled it.

It's odd from a furreners POV ,the idea of opening up an armoury to the have nots :)

Where do you accommodate people who are forced out of their homes due to an emergency, say people who are evacuated due to a bush fire or flooding due to a cyclone? Here, the National guard armories are normally built to a higher structural standard (as are schools) and both serve as a place to provide shelter in weather emergencies. Normally emergency services maintains a supply of cots (camp beds, not infant beds). Not a lot of privacy, but warm, dry and safe.

Now if you are New Oleans, you put folks in the Football stadium and park your busses below sea level.

Local community centres usually, depending on the type of emergency...we havent had a snowstorm emergency yet..

Keep safe everyone Looks like some of you are coping it hard. :(

Yes I googled it.

It's odd from a furreners POV ,the idea of opening up an armoury to the have nots :)

Where do you accommodate people who are forced out of their homes due to an emergency, say people who are evacuated due to a bush fire or flooding due to a cyclone? Here, the National guard armories are normally built to a higher structural standard (as are schools) and both serve as a place to provide shelter in weather emergencies. Normally emergency services maintains a supply of cots (camp beds, not infant beds). Not a lot of privacy, but warm, dry and safe.

Now if you are New Oleans, you put folks in the Football stadium and park your busses below sea level.

Local community centres usually, depending on the type of emergency...we havent had a snowstorm emergency yet..

Keep safe everyone Looks like some of you are coping it hard. :(

As I recall, severe weather in the CBD is a 35 degree day with a change in the afternoon or maybe a. It of frost. While the NT and FNQ get a share of Typhoons, Australia's weather is actually fairly benign.

A bit diferent here with the tornado belt, a significant portion of the population exposed to hurricanes, crippling blizzards, and the rest. It really is a country of extremes for more than politics. Community centers, schools, hospitals,fire stations and armories are usually built to a higher structural standard, have emergency power and acre called into service when things go badly due to flooding, damage, loss of power, etc. a lot of community organizations from churches to Red Cross turn up to provide food, bed clothes, toys and entertainment for kids, etc.

Despite the press, Americans are pretty generous and will bend over backwards to provide help, particularly outside of the urban centers.

Jonas? Since when did someone start naming snow storms? Does it make double super media hype easier to attain? What happened with A thru I?

Jonas? Since when did someone start naming snow storms? Does it make double super media hype easier to attain? What happened with A thru I?

The Weather Channel Started doing this 2 years ago to get viewership..............just like naming Hurricanes

2.5 in. total 65nm north of NYC (Dutchess County)

10 mi. to the south got a foot, 10 mi. to the north got NADA....light flurries

The Weather Channel Started doing this 2 years ago to get viewership..............just like naming Hurricanes

Was that about the same time as Jim Cantore started doing ridiculous commentary in the middle of the nastiest weather events to keep eyeballs glued for his advertisers??

EDIT - About 10 inches on the beach at ELIS. Sprayed the crap off at the manual wand car wash on the way home from work just now...

34" at my house.

The husband stayed with his mother about 8 miles away, so I got to dig out mostly by myself since my 17 year-old son proved himself worthless.

Thankful for my fine neighbor who took pity and came over with his snowblower to help me with the driveway.

34" at my house.

The husband stayed with his mother about 8 miles away, so I got to dig out mostly by myself since my 17 year-old son proved himself worthless.

Thankful for my fine neighbor who took pity and came over with his snowblower to help me with the driveway.

My son helped a little while then had to go study for mid terms. When I was a teenager my dad didn't know what a snow shovel was

Forecast upped to 18-24" here, gusting 50. My daughter's due date is tomorrow. Fingers crossed the baby stays put for a few more days!

Best of luck to you and yours, Gramps

This would make me a little nervous.

All's well, baby stayed put. Thanks

My buddy lives in D.C. near Eastern market. The first plow made it down his street today, Monday at 12:03. Just crazy.

Area schools cancelled tomorrow again.

finally go home last night. plows came through around 2pm

wife and daughter had at least shoveled a path from the street to the garage.

So out comes the snow blower and a little help from Mr Cuervo.... so I can get the car into the driveway....

IMG 1759

IMG 1760

Went to the local school board meeting last night.

Superintendent said that Friday is the earliest day that students will be back in school.

Apparently, it will take that long for the local municipalities to clear enough snow for school buses to make the corners in town.

Right now, there are piles of snow at least 6 feet high at most intersections, with only about a lane and a half open where it should be two or three lanes.

Over 3' at my place - thank goodness for neighbors with HUGE ass New Holland tractors. After we took turns carrying big round bales to his cow fields, we took turns plowing the road to the highway, and then started on driveways. Shoveling from the house to the garage to the chicken coop, and keeping the snow off to roof of the coop liked to kick my sorry outta shape ass.

Christ, what the hell is wrong with DC. Around NYC I think there were some delayed school openings yesterday but otherwise it's busy as usual.

It's not like this storm came out of nowhere.

Christ, what the hell is wrong with DC. Around NYC I think there were some delayed school openings yesterday but otherwise it's busy as usual.

Back when I lived in DC, a long, long time ago; it was referred to as a city of northern charm and southern efficiency.

Don't forget these more southern cities don't have the plow equipment on hand and sub contractors lined up.

Try not to think about how much Diblasio spends on overtime for people out to be driving plows 12 hours before

the first snowflake comes. A decent snowfall will shut down London for days also.

School cancelled again. I've been to the movies twice, read a ton, graded the stack of papers I brought home last week, helped dig out folks cars, watched too much TV. . . . . maybe tomorrow I'll hop one legged down a slushy street.

Don't forget these more southern cities don't have the plow equipment on hand and sub contractors lined up.

Try not to think about how much Diblasio spends on overtime for people out to be driving plows 12 hours before

the first snowflake comes. A decent snowfall will shut down London for days also.

Folks in Baltimore are bitching and comparing the response to how Boston would have handled it. Of course, the two cities, their climate, and experience are perfectly comparable and, therefore, the comparison is valid.

Anyway, we do not have the equipment on hand to deal with this and I doubt you will find many people agreeing we go deeper in debt purchasing more/bigger plows, trucks, etc. Of course, if we did, and we had a snowless winter next year, the same folks would be bitching about the wasted money on equipment we don't need.

It was a record-breaking snowfall. Don't expect to return to your normal life overnight.

Folks in Baltimore are bitching and comparing the response to how Boston would have handled it. Of course, the two cities, their climate, and experience are perfectly comparable and, therefore, the comparison is valid.

Anyway, we do not have the equipment on hand to deal with this and I doubt you will find many people agreeing we go deeper in debt purchasing more/bigger plows, trucks, etc. Of course, if we did, and we had a snowless winter next year, the same folks would be bitching about the wasted money on equipment we don't need.

It was a record-breaking snowfall. Don't expect to return to your normal life overnight.

How'd your Ariens snowblower stack up to the depths we experienced, BD? My neighbor has a huge New Holland tractor, and he saved the day for most of us, but, when it took me 4 hours to dig from the house to the chicken coop, I was thinking that a bit of mechanical advantage might be nice.

How'd your Ariens snowblower stack up to the depths we experienced, BD? My neighbor has a huge New Holland tractor, and he saved the day for most of us, but, when it took me 4 hours to dig from the house to the chicken coop, I was thinking that a bit of mechanical advantage might be nice.

Like a hot knife through butter. I have learned a few tricks about impeller belt tensioning and (finally) got a replacement that is durable.

I did go out a few times, as the total depth would have been a total pain for the first pass. After you get that first path, just carving about 1/2 the width of the impeller sends the snow flying. Got it all down to bare pavement.

Like a hot knife through butter. I have learned a few tricks about impeller belt tensioning and (finally) got a replacement that is durable.

I did go out a few times, as the total depth would have been a total pain for the first pass. After you get that first path, just carving about 1/2 the width of the impeller sends the snow flying. Got it all down to bare pavement.

You oughta be getting a commission from Winchester equipment...

;-)

A pic of my beautiful bride, smiling because I was able to clear a path to her office so she could work.

(Anyone know why this loaded sideways? It appears correctly on my phone. I had to use TinyPic from my phone, as it doesn't want to work on the computer. Or, any other hosting sites that are free and don't require "joining"?)

2aomfl.jpg

Saturday morning. First pass through about 12-15".

2nt953.jpg

So whats with the windshield wipers sticking out like that? Please forgive me, I've never lived where it snows....... thank god!

It's so they don't freeze to the windshield. That way when you turn them on they don't rip the blade apart of strip the drive gears.

Yep. I had a neighbor who claimed that was only a problem if you get freezing rain. He came home one night when it had started to snow this light and fluffy powder. Laughed at everyone who was doing that.

He came out in the morning, turned on his wipers, and ripped the blades off. His warm car melted the snow that fell on his windshield, which then froze very nicely.

It's so they don't freeze to the windshield. That way when you turn them on they don't rip the blade apart of strip the drive gears.

Also, you can blast the defroster in the dash while brushing and scraping the windscreen and be on your way sooner. I am trying to wean Missus BB from using the blades and copious sprays of the blue juice, instead of using a scraper to remove windscreen ice. It ruins the blades in short order, and wastes gallons of blue juice. Maybe Blonde is not just a hair color??? Her response is that blue juice is very cheap at the dollar store, as are windscreen blades at Ocean State Job Lot.

you only need to accidentally tap the wiper stalk by accident once, destroying a $40 wiper blade assembly, to realize you're better off just leaving the damn things up.

you only need to accidentally tap the wiper stalk by accident once, destroying a $40 wiper blade assembly, to realize you're better off just leaving the damn things up.

What are you using, a hatchet? I lived for too many decades in Saskatchewan, never lost a wiper blade or arm.

Of course, for some of that time I never turned the car off.

Just to be fair- it rained sideways and was about63° in key west-

One day it even rained iguanas-

What were you drinking for breakfast that day?

Coffee...

It was blowing like hell and they couldn't hold on to the trees and they were just falling out of the canopy like leaves- thud, thud, scrape thud... Kinda fucked up if ya ask me...

Just to be fair- it rained sideways and was about63° in key west-

One day it even rained iguanas-

What were you drinking for breakfast that day?

Coffee...

It was blowing like hell and they couldn't hold on to the trees and they were just falling out of the canopy like leaves- thud, thud, scrape thud... Kinda fucked up if ya ask me...

...just another day in th'life of florida man :)

Did I hear there is a 48 person death-count from the storm,

......with 1/3 being heart attacks while snow shoveling!? :mellow:

Did I hear there is a 48 person death-count from the storm,

......with 1/3 being heart attacks while snow shoveling!? :mellow:

Good thing gov Christie didn't show up in so nj with a mop... Or is it?

Even with school closed PG county schools are offering free lunch to students that can make it in. For some, it's the only lunch they will be able to get.

There's no such thing as a free lunch....

Good to teach that early-

And another generation gets the use of "I had to walk 3 miles in a blizzard for a cheese sandwich" comment-

Whenever they do open schools, about 1200 students will have the opportunity to cross this bridge after riding to the nearby station on a light rail train. I took that photo at about 10:30, this morning. What is on the sidewalks is not snow. It is ice from the slush a plow pushed off the road.

9fy6fa.jpg

Most of the bus stops around the city have not been cleared and buses are discharging riders into a lane of traffic. It is a wonder we have not had a student killed trying to get to school.

Hey Bus, you guys back tomorrow? We haven't been canceled or delayed. . . . yet. D.C. public went back today.

No word, yet. Harford County called it for the week. I expect a few more will do so, in short order. I figure our odds are 50/50 in going in tomorrow.

Whenever they do open schools, about 1200 students will have the opportunity to cross this bridge after riding to the nearby station on a light rail train. I took that photo at about 10:30, this morning. What is on the sidewalks is not snow. It is ice from the slush a plow pushed off the road.

9fy6fa.jpg

Most of the bus stops around the city have not been cleared and buses are discharging riders into a lane of traffic. It is a wonder we have not had a student killed trying to get to school.

Hate to sound like an old fart but that photo looks like a pretty normal day from my youth in NW Pennsylvania except the road wouldn't be so clean. If you were lucky, the banks of snow would be frozen solid so you could just walk on top of them being careful not to fall off into the road of course.

9fy6fa.jpg

Hate to sound like an old fart but that photo looks like a pretty normal day from my youth in NW Pennsylvania except the road wouldn't be so clean. If you were lucky, the banks of snow would be frozen solid so you could just walk on top of them being careful not to fall off into the road of course.

I hear you. But, that road will be chock full of cars in the morning, as it is a major commuter route. And, at the same time, there will be be hundreds of students walking in the street. Between our school and the one next door, we have 2500+ students, with the majority using mass transit. Buses dropping them off in traffic lanes and this fiasco is a tragedy waiting to happen.

That bank was ice, has melted a bit in the warmer temps, and will refreeze tonight. I just went by there and the top surface is a jumble of deep footprints. A busted ankle, or a tumble into the street is a possibility. Trust me, the students will opt for the street.

Funny how all the teacher types wanna see the schools remain closed "for the health, wellbeing and safety of the children."

Fuck you dumb ass. We have to make these days up in June. No teacher I know wants school cancelled now.

Funny how all the teacher types wanna see the schools remain closed "for the health, wellbeing and safety of the children."

Fuck you dumb ass. We have to make these days up in June. No teacher I know wants school cancelled now.

I was in the building, today, helping with lunch. Our district has a stunning number of children who live below the poverty level and they rely on schools for a decent meal. Maybe you think of them as freeloaders. I prefer to think of them as humans deserving of a helping hand. You know, sort of a Christian thing.

Some of these students have a commute of 90+ minutes, each way, on a good day. One student shared she left her house at 10:00 to get to school by 12:00, only to arrive at 12:55 and thought she only had 5 minutes to eat. No one hurried her, we stayed until 2:00 (later than we planned).

Temps right now aren't bad. At 6:00 AM, tomorrow, they are calling for 22 with a wind chill of 11. I can tell you waiting on a bus stop that has not been cleared of the 6 foot snowbank will be a real fucking treat for them. Any snow that has melted has created a nice puddle in any low spot, since the storm drains are blocked. So they will freeze real nicely tonight.

Yeah, I think we should be open whenever possible. But, sometimes it is better to stay closed.

No.6, you can take your sanctimonious bullshit and stuff it.

Hey Bus, how many snow days do you have "built in" to the schedule? My last district had four but this one has zero.