• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Clove Hitch

Historic blizzard incoming!

Just brought Snowtorious B.I.G. around front. Started on the first pull. Bring it on!

28jfp8h.jpg

Full disclosure. I have stolen your nickname and have used it with my snow thrower for the past 2 years.

Just brought Snowtorious B.I.G. around front. Started on the first pull. Bring it on!

28jfp8h.jpg

Full disclosure. I have stolen your nickname and have used it with my snow thrower for the past 2 years.

No worries. Enjoy!

28jfp8h.jpg

Nice BD

Think that thing could handle a neighbor's poodle ?

Think that thing could handle a neighbor's poodle ?

........neighbor might ask how you made all the snow pink!? :mellow:

watch out where the poodles go, don;t you eat that pink snow ?? :wacko:

HISTORIC with a 90% chance of 1" of snowfall.

We're all gonna die!!!!

Time to dust off the Ariens Delux beast. Looks very much like BD's.

Weather.com says 3-5 inches here in CT starting Friday night! First chance to try some power slides in the AWD Crosstrek; WOO-HOO!! My hot blooded Italian carpool mate Pasquale does not like driving in the snow, so may have to show him how it's done!! LOL!!

Weather.com says 3-5 inches here in CT starting Friday night! First chance to try some power slides in the AWD Crosstrek; WOO-HOO!! My hot blooded Italian carpool mate Pasquale does not like driving in the snow, so may have to show him how it's done!! LOL!!

My brother just bought in CT from NYC. He's bumming because it will be first time he shoveled snow since college 30 years ago. I fired up my thrower and tightened the belt

NYC area has been vacillating between 5-8 and 6-12.... Snow in mid January, who knew? Hardly historic by any measure.

EDIT: Just check Wunderground, 3-5 is the current.

You spelled hysteria wrong man.

...close enough I'd say.........

his·tri·on·ic
ˌhistrēˈänik/
noun
plural noun: histrionics
  1. 1.
    exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention.
    "discussions around the issue have been based as much in histrionics as in history"
    synonyms: dramatics, theatrics, tantrums; More

My brother just bought in CT from NYC. He's bumming because it will be first time he shoveled snow since college 30 years ago. I fired up my thrower and tightened the belt

Fuck that snow shoveling shit!! After 30 years of dealing with a long and steep circular driveway, we are happy to be renters for a spell. If the Landlord doesn't plow, I couldn't care less!! It will melt soon, since Long Island Sound is 20 feet from the house, and both of our daily drivers are AWD or old school 4x4 with WARN hubs, with aggressive tires and extended ground clearance on flat terrain. Almost wish I was 20 again to tow people around an unplowed giant parking lot on small plastic skis, with a water ski towrope, tied to the bumper, wearing leathers and a fiberglass brain bucket!!!

Fuck that snow shoveling shit!! After 30 years of dealing with a long and steep circular driveway, we are happy to be renters for a spell. If the Landlord doesn't plow, I couldn't care less!! It will melt soon, since Long Island Sound is 20 feet from the house, and both of our daily drivers are AWD or old school 4x4 with WARN hubs, with aggressive tires and extended ground clearance on flat terrain. Almost wish I was 20 again to tow people around an unplowed giant parking lot on small plastic skis, with a water ski towrope, tied to the bumper, wearing leathers and a fiberglass brain bucket!!!

SKis! Thats what shoes are for. Rope??? Just hang on the bumper.

Weather folks jizzing in their pants. The article says there will be "thunder snow" in the hardest hit areas. Going to be pretty bad ass

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/01/19/east_coast_blizzard_will_impact_washington_new_york_boston.html

Predictably, meteorologist message boards have erupted in squeals of giddy joy, ogling the storm’s potential. One leading meteorologist on Twitter has already dubbed the storm a “blockbuster blizzard for the ages.” The person who literally wrote the textbook on major Northeast winter storms, Paul Kocin, wrote on Tuesday that this week’s storm is “textbook.” Another meteorologist called the storm’s predicted evolution “perfection.”

Weather folks jizzing in their pants. The article says there will be "thunder snow" in the hardest hit areas. Going to be pretty bad ass

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/01/19/east_coast_blizzard_will_impact_washington_new_york_boston.html

Predictably, meteorologist message boards have erupted in squeals of giddy joy, ogling the storm’s potential. One leading meteorologist on Twitter has already dubbed the storm a “blockbuster blizzard for the ages.” The person who literally wrote the textbook on major Northeast winter storms, Paul Kocin, wrote on Tuesday that this week’s storm is “textbook.” Another meteorologist called the storm’s predicted evolution “perfection.”

Gotta grab a couple things at the grocery store, have 4 days worth of firewood inside, and 40 gals of water. If we lose power, I'll cook on the camp stove, and melt snow to flush. We'll stay home, I'll take the time to go get some projects done in the garage (LOVE my big turbo heater!).

Neighbor will plow his drive, then bring the tractor over and He & His wife will have coffee w/my wife while I plow ours out, and then make a pass the 6 miles out to the highway to see if there's anyone stranded and pull 'em out. If we have power, we'll watch the goobers in DC on TV and laugh.

anytime I hear of a chance for thundersnow, AC/DC thunderstruck plays in my head...

Will be stacking up some firewood in the living room and on the front porch and gassing up the vehicles and generator just in case. Need to keep the house, or at least part of it warm enough for the baby in case we have an extended power outage, although that is pretty unlikely where we live. Worst our neighborhood has seen was the derecho, but we we were up a the ACWS in Newport that weekend so missed out on most of that. Driving through Tysons on 495 with all the lights off was pretty eerie though.

According to the news, stores around here are already selling out of stuff. So there's that.

Was planning on taking off Friday to have a much needed date day with the wife, but that's probably a bust at this point. <_<

I have a snowblower but if I park the cars in the driveway it keeps the snow off anyway. Can't fit the cars in the garage.

that was my approach when I had to deal with that shit. that and a couple of jeeps. no shoveling necessary!

Flooding, too. This storm promises to have it all! Thunder-snow, flooding, 60 mph winds.

Areas of particular concern include:

• Delaware, including both Delaware Bay and the Atlantic beaches
  • The western side of Chesapeake Bay, including tidewater inlets and the Norfolk/Newport News metropolitan area
  • The Jersey shore, including the south shore of Raritan Bay

In these areas, major coastal flooding is possible for both Saturday morning and Saturday evening high tides, with potential beach erosion and even property damage.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-jonas-forecast-january-20

Bus Driver,

I have an ariens like that at home but probably a decades worht of age/rust. Tecumseh engine. brought it in to the shop, added gas fired right up...had a weld a small hole in the leaky carb.... Just need to train the wife again on its use.

I'll be stuck at work from friday noon until sunday noon.

playing with skid loaders, and backhoes moving snow.

the kids on campus are going to have a blast, until they realize school will be in session on monday...

Headed up to PA Friday morning. Gonna make it up in time to dodge driving through most of the shit, then skiing all weekend. Freshies! Should be 18-24", with luck

We bought a snowblower a couple of years ago. It's working like a charm, haven't had snow since it arrived.

For those of us who live near you (sort of) Let me be the first to offer a "Thank You" for your purchase.

My Italian car-pool mate, Pasquale says the Euro models are always correct and they say New England won't be hit bad, because it's going to hang a right and head out to sea, right after it dumps it's load on the DC area?

The minimum wage Dock People that can't afford a hotel room for the weekend are looking at hard times. High tides Saturday to Sunday forecast to be 3 to 6 feet above the level on the books.

Headed up to PA Friday morning. Gonna make it up in time to dodge driving through most of the shit, then skiing all weekend. Freshies! Should be 18-24", with luck

Where in PA are you skiing?

We're in Pennsylvania just a few miles off I-81 not far from the Maryland border. Send a message if you get stuck!

The minimum wage Dock People that can't afford a hotel room for the weekend are looking at hard times. High tides Saturday to Sunday forecast to be 3 to 6 feet above the level on the books.

Don't you open the subways for homeless people in blizzards ?

Meanwhile here in So Cal we are expecting a frigid high of 65 tomorrow and up to 1/4" rain on Saturday!!! I'm headed to the store to buy batteries and extra blankets just in case............

6-12" doesn't change anything around here. Well 12" does, I drive the pickup to work instead of the subie.

Don't you open the subways for homeless people in blizzards ?
Normally the National Guard armories are opened in larger cities.

It's telling when I can't tell if you guys are joking :D

so where;s the best skiing go to be? one chart showed the line a little farther south than i wanted, might not be worth going to elk?

Yes I googled it.

It's odd from a furreners POV ,the idea of opening up an armoury to the have nots :)

Where do you accommodate people who are forced out of their homes due to an emergency, say people who are evacuated due to a bush fire or flooding due to a cyclone? Here, the National guard armories are normally built to a higher structural standard (as are schools) and both serve as a place to provide shelter in weather emergencies. Normally emergency services maintains a supply of cots (camp beds, not infant beds). Not a lot of privacy, but warm, dry and safe.

Now if you are New Oleans, you put folks in the Football stadium and park your busses below sea level.

Meanwhile here in So Cal we are expecting a frigid high of 65 tomorrow and up to 1/4" rain on Saturday!!! I'm headed to the store to buy batteries and extra blankets just in case............

wow with a 1/4 inch a rain, will the governor allow you guys to start taking 5 minute showers, water your lawn and wash your car at will?

we were forcasted for a trace of snow last night. got one inch on frozen, untreated roads. what a night mare for people who had to drive home durring normal commuter hours.

Down here in the lower right corner of PA, the grocery panic started on Monday and seems to be continuing. You'd think we've never had snow here before. At least the local EMAs are well-versed on what happens next.

I think they are paying the weather girls to hype so they sell more bread. I chuckle at the soup ad when the mom also grabs the bottle of wine.

forecast for me went for 12-18 in. to 6-10 in. to 3-6 in. I'm guessing a dusting to 2 in.

Down here in the lower right corner of PA, the grocery panic started on Monday and seems to be continuing. You'd think we've never had snow here before. At least the local EMAs are well-versed on what happens next.

Here as well. I stopped in the store for some fresh fruit and veggies after work yesterday, not even thinking about the storm. Just wanted some asparagus for dinner. What a freaking zoo!

Bread, milk, and eggs?...... Batteries, toilet paper, and sterno?

I realllllly don't want to know what kind of party these people are planning!

Forecasts are suggesting 20-24" out in the Shenandoah Valley - may need to wrap some plastic around the bottom of the chicken coop tonight.

Wife bought all ingredients to make your UNBELIEVEABLE Carrot Cake...MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Forecasts are suggesting 20-24" out in the Shenandoah Valley - may need to wrap some plastic around the bottom of the chicken coop tonight.

Wife bought all ingredients to make your UNBELIEVEABLE Carrot Cake...MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I hope it turns out like y'all want! I can't take credit for the recipe, just appreciating the first time I enjoyed it and asking for it myself.

so where;s the best skiing go to be? one chart showed the line a little farther south than i wanted, might not be worth going to elk?

We are only getting 4" or so here in the Poconos, less further west towards Elk. Camelback (or Shawnee, blech) would probably get the most, but it is not a great mountain and it will be filled with NYers.

We are only getting 4" or so here in the Poconos, less further west towards Elk. Camelback (or Shawnee, blech) would probably get the most, but it is not a great mountain and it will be filled with NYers.

Smaller places, but Ski Liberty and Roundtop will have plenty of snow this weekend.

damn... so i guess that leaves Blue again... at least it has some height and high speed lifts. I gave up shawnee/camelback in my single digits years...

BMiller, if you keep egging me on i might just show up in Breckenridge at your doorstep with a bottle of rum!

Edit: never heard of ski liberty or round top, will check them out.

damn... so i guess that leaves Blue again... at least it has some height and high speed lifts. I gave up shawnee/camelback in my single digits years...

BMiller, if you keep egging me on i might just show up in Breckenridge at your doorstep with a bottle of rum!

Mustang - they're not far from you - Round Top is just outside Harrisburg, Liberty is just outside Gettysburg. There's also a place right off 81 near the PA/MD border called WhiteTail, but, I don't know anything about their trails. Either of those would be w/in a 2 hr or so drive from Philly.

I used to live 10 minutes from Blue Mountain, still have a few rental properties down there. I haven't skied in many many years, but we used to take our nieces and nephews there for snow tubing when we lived in the area. I will say at least Blue Mountain was always filled with folks form Philly instead of folks from NY. Have fun.

Yes I googled it.

It's odd from a furreners POV ,the idea of opening up an armoury to the have nots :)

Keep in mind a lot of the traditional armories in US cities aren't used as storage for military weapons and hardware anymore. At least not as their primary function. For example, the DC Armory is mostly event space now.

For the purposes of this conversation, it's mostly a large room that they can fill with cots and house some number of people if needed. Kind of like a high school gymnasium.

Oh ffs, how much do you want to bet that they will cancel the race in MdR on Saturday? :angry:

I'm headed to CO next weekend. Saturday-Wednesday. Got a friend in Denver, so staying there for free and hitting up Keystone, Breck, and Vail. Liberty and Roundtop blow donkey dicks. You get a bunch of gaper posers from DC since it's only like an hour from there. It's overpriced and not even close to worth it. We're going to blue knob, a little ways out of the biggest snow patch, but we have season passes so that's our place. Much MUCH cheaper than most places, like $35 for an all day pass. 1000' vertical, chill atmosphere, $4.25 beers... We like it.

We're in Pennsylvania just a few miles off I-81 not far from the Maryland border. Send a message if you get stuck!

Headed up to Blue Knob. It's near Bedford, near 99 and the Turnpike... Hopefully we won't get stuck on the way up, driving up early tomorrow morning. If it's really really bad I think we might end up extending our stay a day or so lol.

I'm headed to CO next weekend. Saturday-Wednesday. Got a friend in Denver, so staying there for free and hitting up Keystone, Breck, and Vail. Liberty and Roundtop blow donkey dicks. You get a bunch of gaper posers from DC since it's only like an hour from there. It's overpriced and not even close to worth it. We're going to blue knob, a little ways out of the biggest snow patch, but we have season passes so that's our place. Much MUCH cheaper than most places, like $35 for an all day pass. 1000' vertical, chill atmosphere, $4.25 beers... We like it.

Headed up to Blue Knob. It's near Bedford, near 99 and the Turnpike... Hopefully we won't get stuck on the way up, driving up early tomorrow morning. If it's really really bad I think we might end up extending our stay a day or so lol.

Get there before the shit hits the fan. Blue Knob is one of those ski places that does not have the base near the bottom of the mountain, but at the top.

Once went skiing there and had to drive up the road in a snowstorm, fishtailing all the way up in a Z28. Then, they wouldn't let anyone drive down at the end of the night.

Get there before the shit hits the fan. Blue Knob is one of those ski places that does not have the base near the bottom of the mountain, but at the top.

Once went skiing there and had to drive up the road in a snowstorm, fishtailing all the way up in a Z28. Then, they wouldn't let anyone drive down at the end of the night.

Yeah we've been there a bunch. Last year I rented a car (wife had to use orus) and headed up with a friend after they got 8" one night. Couldn't make it all the way up, hitched a ride with a stranger who had a 4WD.

This year we've got an AWD Subaru, not too worried... If it is too bad, we'll hike. There's a couple places to park most of the way up the mountain before teh last big hill up to the lodge.

Guest Dabnis

Yeah we've been there a bunch. Last year I rented a car (wife had to use orus) and headed up with a friend after they got 8" one night. Couldn't make it all the way up, hitched a ride with a stranger who had a 4WD.

This year we've got an AWD Subaru, not too worried... If it is too bad, we'll hike. There's a couple places to park most of the way up the mountain before teh last big hill up to the lodge.

Governor just declared a State of Emergency for Pennsylvania for Saturday-Sunday.

Significant snowfall Friday night into Saturday (maybe...) then 20-30 mph winds with 60 mph gusts on Sunday.

Lodgings still available here if you need it!

You wont find me in Breck, but don't let that stop you. I live in a little town called Buena Vista. Head on out and we'll ski Copper, then drink rum.

Gov. Of Maryland has declared a state of emergency and the school district where I teach has already cancelled.

Dock People are skittish, stocking up on microwave burritos and eyeing the horizon warily.

About to fly out of San Diego right now, but chatted to Mom on the phone where's she's in Western NC. She says they've probably already gotten about 3-4" since midnight and its expected to hit the 18-24" high mark. Yikes! I SOOOOO glad I'm not flying out of Chicago, JFK or DC right now. Air travel on that side of the country has got to be a huge CF about right now.

About to fly out of San Diego right now, but chatted to Mom on the phone where's she's in Western NC. She says they've probably already gotten about 3-4" since midnight and its expected to hit the 18-24" high mark. Yikes! I SOOOOO glad I'm not flying out of Chicago, JFK or DC right now. Air travel on that side of the country has got to be a huge CF about right now.

LA News is full of folks at LAX whining about being stuck. One said he can't get back to DC till Monday at the earliest. I'm thinking.............duh.

On the plane tonight, 6 days in Winter Park, 3 up at Steamboat then finish off down in Dillon til the 6th Feb

LA News is full of folks at LAX whining about being stuck. One said he can't get back to DC till Monday at the earliest. I'm thinking.............duh.

I was walking though the SAN terminal and there was an NBC I think news crew doing a story on the delays. I'm pretty sure I ended up in the shot despite trying to get out of the way.