• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
GauchoGreg

Ultime / G-Class Development

By the way, Maserati is planning to go up against 3 (maybe) other MOD70s in the RORC Transatlantic Race, November, which will also have Phaedo, Concise 10, and Oman (if the boat is in 1 piece). It will be interesting to see how a full foiler can do against the others.

Maybe it's the conditions but the main hull and lee hull spend a lot of time touching the water but she definitely flies.... I think the earlier vid under her previous name is one of the coolest flying videos of any large tri ever but the conditions were probably less intense.

Apparently Spindrift Racing have a MOD70 coming or they bought one of the existing boats. Any news?

They havent changes the port daggerbord yet.

Look at the video. On the stbd side, the upper part is a straight, foiling-style. Whereas on the port side it's curved.

They just took the boat. Development zero.

Spindrift racing has had their mod 70 since the beginning of the circuit, I can't remember but think ther are # 4 or 5. The boat is on the hard mothballed in the parking lot of ther base in la trinite. It's actively for sale.

There will be no development for Soldini if I had to guess. He will just sail the boat as is.

The Boat is already in the Soldini's hand. Paintjob, sails and everything.

I was saying the Soldini's team have not even changed the daggerbord.

Cheerz

Thanks for posting the vid. They should see the Maserati video.........

And, Gitana Maxi is under construction (Google Translate):

And earlier this week, Sébastien Josse went to Vannes Multiplast, where construction of Gitana Maxi progresses.

The trimaran of 33 m will be launched in the summer of 2017 is currently under construction. The central hull has just been closed and the rear arm. All major carbon parts will be soon completed. The assembly of the platform and the mast (at Lorima) will take place during the winter, while Sébastien régatera around the planet.

Sébastien Josse, skipper of Gitana Team: "I feel very lucky It makes you want to close the loop faster This is an additional motivation for the Vendée Globe that, ashore, another boat is born, that.! a project takes shape and all the Gitana Team gives himself passionately to the new technological challenge. "

https://www.facebook.com/Ultim-Boat-483745085060406/

Pretty cool rundown (G-Trans) of the current state of the Ultim/G-Class boats from http://www.ultimboat.com/ultime-news-4

Where are they ? Update on ongoing projects and programs ultimesà few days of the winter season!

Stand-by or race:

Macif: A La Seyne sur Mer on standby for an attempt on the voyage alone, Marseilles / Carthage.

IDEC Sport. Termine its preparation and exercises in La Trinité sur Mer period of stand-by for the attempt on the Jules Verne Trophy, will begin within a day 10ène.

Sodebo Ultim '. Thomas Coville in ends with workouts and RP in La Trinité sur Mer next week, the trimaran will be ferried to Brest to start the stand-by on the record around the world in Solitaire.

Phaedo 3: The crew just left Valencia towards Malta to over 32 knots ... to be from the Middle Sea Race on 22 October.

Maserati: Just been back in the water after a small refit in La Spézia. After several control outputs, Giovanni Soldini and his crew will take the direction for Malta Middle Sea Race.

Ultim Emotion: A Sète, he is officially committed to the Middle Sea Race which will start on 22 October.

Qingdao, China: Is currently in Richmond, San Francisco Bay, small preparations and testing new sails just days before the start of stand-by to set a reference time between San Francisco and Sanghai.

Concise 10: On his pontoon in England next race the RORC Transatlantic Race in late November.

Building:

Spindrift 2: Vannes at Multiplast, attempt on the Jules Verne Trophy canceled, awaiting its 2017 program.

Prince of Brittany in Lorient, in its standby database of the 2017 program of the team.

Actual Ultim ': A la Trinité sur Mer, will be out of the water at the end of this month, valves, for a large site optimization (mast, sails, ...).

Musandam Oman Sail: A Lorient in his base for his rehabilitation. Back on the RORC races in 2017?

Orion moored at its dock in Sausalito in San Francisco Bay. Waiting for the 2017 program.

EX Oman Air: Still Lorient Marsaudon suspended construction of the ceiling. Marc Thiercelin has launched a crowdfunding campaign to transform the foiler trimaran and self foiler ...

Former B & Q / Castorama: The trimaran is under construction in Hennebont in Nautymor. No announcement of the future program.

Gemini 3: The catamaran is Roman Paszke in Gdansk on Granary Island. Waiting for program.

In construction :

Banque Populaire IX, signed VPLP at CDK Lorient. Being assembled. A presentation was to synthesized images to the press a few days ago.

Gitana XVII Multiplast, signed the boat Verdier / Gitana Team. Construction progresses. No other info.

On sale :

Race for Water: A Lorient in Ocean Development. The refit is completed, the boat is offered for sale to see the rental.

Spindrift: In its base in St Philibert for sale.

Tritium racing: Moored in front Port of Long Beach in California and still offered for sale.

So, I can't wait to see Joyon go for it again with his shorthanded crew. From his site:

Francis Joyon: “The boat was out of the water for a month and a half. There was a lot of work to do during this refit, seeing we had left the boat in the water after the last round the world attempt. There was quite a lot of wear on the equipment and some improvements to make. In particular, we worked on protecting the helmsman and trimmers in order to enhance performance. We are also getting a new mainsail and gennaker. For the rest, we made minor improvements: the rigging, deck hardware and the central rudder, the profile of which we changed working with the AMCO yard, which has a lot of skill in the area of appendages. This boat is over ten years old. She has been improved by many teams and we have gradually continued along these lines. We had to do a lot to reduce her weight slightly, increase her speed, and I think we’ve done a good job.”

Does this improved version suit you for this attempt at the Jules Verne Trophy?

F.J: “During the last attempt, we could see we were not that far off, in spite of weather that wasn’t that favourable for smashing the record. We’ll be setting off with a better level of performance and a little more experience. The boat will be completely ready and things should slot into place.”

What is your programme for the time being?

F.J.: “This afternoon, we’ll be heading for la Trinité-sur-Mer, our home port. Fitting the sails and rigging to make everything operational is going to take us a week. We’ll start our training phase in early October with as many of the crewmen as possible and I hope with our router, Marcel Van Triest. We can aim to be on stand by on 20th October. That’s a rather optimistic way of looking at it, but it could work out, if we don’t encounter any major technical problems.”

Why are you going on stand-by so early?

F.J.: “It is highly unlikely that there will be an opportunity before mid-November, but if one does arise, we need to grab it. Setting off early in the season should mean that we have a better voyage back up the Atlantic, even if there are a lot of unknowns to deal with. The season is relatively short and finishes in February. The earlier we set off, the better it should be. We’ll set sail, when the wind allows, when the situation is decent, even if not ideal.”

http://www.idecsport-sailing.com/aiming-for-the-jules-verne-trophy-idec-sport-back-in-the-water-and-shortly-going-on-stand-by/?lang=en

A pretty good short video from Thomas Coville, talking about the autopilot... in French...

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/les-videos/le-pilote-automatique-de-demain/

What does he say?

"

The autopilot is a critical, central, strategic topic for the program and we put a lot of resources on it for the past 8 years...

We realized from the start that knowing that the boat is under autopilot 95 or 98% of the time, there is no point of building a fast boat, if you do not have an efficient autopilot to start with...

First we looked at what was available; then we worked first on the quality of the data input by working on the sensors. And then and only then, we worked on the heart of the system, the algorithm/code of the autopilot.

The work on the sensors took into account the wind speed sensor on top of the mast, the boat speed sensor and the number one sensor, the compass. For instance for the compass, we went for a TRUE gyroscope (he calls it something like "inertial central system", I think this is a gyro), the type of stuff used on French Navy nuclear submarine... This way you get a true attitude of the boat, not only position in x, y, z, but also acceleration in the 3 axis...

We also use this gyroscope measurement with the wind speed indicator on top of the mast to calculate true wind variations. We can also measure boat speed with extreme accuracy, and from there, drift, and therefore current...

We use all those parameters, it is very complex, and if we lose one parameter in the algorithm, it is a disaster!

On a 24 hrs record, I steer the boat less than one hour. Steering is for me another sensor input; the wheel. It will validate the setting change, sail adjustment I just did. I will give myself the gift of steering once in a while, but not a lot of time and not a long time.

On the long run, the autopilot is much more efficient than me.

I am better than the pilot for about 1 hour and 1/2. After that, the pilot does a better job... So obviously, I can't compete against the pilot over 24 hr run, and even less over 57 days...

"

A pretty good short video from Thomas Coville, talking about the autopilot... in French...

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/les-videos/le-pilote-automatique-de-demain/

What does he say?

"

The autopilot is a critical, central, strategic topic for the program and we put a lot of resources on it for the past 8 years...

We realized from the start that knowing that the boat is under autopilot 95 or 98% of the time, there is no point of building a fast boat, if you do not have an efficient autopilot to start with...

First we looked at what was available; then we worked first on the quality of the data input by working on the sensors. And then and only then, we worked on the heart of the system, the algorithm/code of the autopilot.

The work on the sensors took into account the wind speed sensor on top of the mast, the boat speed sensor and the number one sensor, the compass. For instance for the compass, we went for a TRUE gyroscope (he calls it something like "inertial central system", I think this is a gyro), the type of stuff used on French Navy nuclear submarine... This way you get a true attitude of the boat, not only position in x, y, z, but also acceleration in the 3 axis...

We also use this gyroscope measurement with the wind speed indicator on top of the mast to calculate true wind variations. We can also measure boat speed with extreme accuracy, and from there, drift, and therefore current...

We use all those parameters, it is very complex, and if we lose one parameter in the algorithm, it is a disaster!

On a 24 hrs record, I steer the boat less than one hour. Steering is for me another sensor input; the wheel. It will validate the setting change, sail adjustment I just did. I will give myself the gift of steering once in a while, but not a lot of time and not a long time.

On the long run, the autopilot is much more efficient than me.

I am better than the pilot for about 1 hour and 1/2. After that, the pilot does a better job... So obviously, I can't compete against the pilot over 24 hr run, and even less over 57 days...

"

Thanks for the effort ,Laurent!

He's referencing a full blown IMU, not just a gyro. 6 axis instead of 3. Your iphone has one, but the unit he's referring to has far less drift over time and far greater accuracy and precision to begin with. Downside is cost.

Spindrift 2 getting fitted with L foils (sorry, doug, not FiReArRoW).

From the Spindrift Site (Google Trans):

..... For this legendary boat to remain competitive, Yann Guichard, his skipper, integrated from the beginning a design office within the stable to gain independence in terms of technological developments. While the design team is always focused on performance, the constraints inherent in such a ship due to its size make it difficult to design and produce new parts. After a thorough study, the Spindrift racing team activated new optimizations this winter for the XXL trimaran.

Spindrift 2: foils and rudders "made by" the design team

Following the failure of the port foil during the Jules Verne Trophy attempt at the end of 2015, the design team worked on new foils aboard Spindrift 2 this year. The team made a new TIP Fin on the lower part of the foil) which now points upwards and allows to lift the stem. This optimization, which was tested during the Transat Québec Saint Malo this summer, had a positive effect on performance. The foils performing a vertical thrust at the front of the boat, the team had to work this winter on a new port rudder (positioned at the rear). Its new shape and its position at the back of the float makes it possible to restore Spindrift 2 in equilibrium.

The combined action of the foil and the T-rudder will make a vertical thrust on the hull which will relieve Spindrift 2. The resistance of the water on the hull and its embedment in the water will be reduced and the trimaran will gain speed.

http://doc.spindrift-racing.com/FOCUS-JANVIER-17/6/

Spindrift 2 getting fitted with L foils (sorry, doug, not FiReArRoW).

From the Spindrift Site (Google Trans):

..... For this legendary boat to remain competitive, Yann Guichard, his skipper, integrated from the beginning a design office within the stable to gain independence in terms of technological developments. While the design team is always focused on performance, the constraints inherent in such a ship due to its size make it difficult to design and produce new parts. After a thorough study, the Spindrift racing team activated new optimizations this winter for the XXL trimaran.

Spindrift 2: foils and rudders "made by" the design team

Following the failure of the port foil during the Jules Verne Trophy attempt at the end of 2015, the design team worked on new foils aboard Spindrift 2 this year. The team made a new TIP Fin on the lower part of the foil) which now points upwards and allows to lift the stem. This optimization, which was tested during the Transat Québec Saint Malo this summer, had a positive effect on performance. The foils performing a vertical thrust at the front of the boat, the team had to work this winter on a new port rudder (positioned at the rear). Its new shape and its position at the back of the float makes it possible to restore Spindrift 2 in equilibrium.

The combined action of the foil and the T-rudder will make a vertical thrust on the hull which will relieve Spindrift 2. The resistance of the water on the hull and its embedment in the water will be reduced and the trimaran will gain speed.

http://doc.spindrift-racing.com/FOCUS-JANVIER-17/6/

Spindrift and Banque Populaire IX are both using uptip foils on the ama to allow the boat to fly. They use an uptip foil because ,with a rudder t-foil, it provides automatic altitude control for the ama when flying.

----

So far neither has adopted the "Manta" main foil pioneered by Maserati on their Mod 70. Fire Arrow was the first trimaran of any size to use uptip ama foils and an adjustable AOI wand controlled main foil together at the same time on the same boat.

No word on foiling details, or if it will be dual-purpose (like Gitana, for crewed or solo). But assemblage of input from designers, including VPLP and Fischer.

No word on foiling details, or if it will be dual-purpose (like Gitana, for crewed or solo). But assemblage of input from designers, including VPLP and Fischer.

and Renaud Banuls ...

I really hope we see some of these boats built for solo try out a 2, 3, or 3-man effort RTW to see what they can do compared to what Idec sport just did. Gitana is the only one of the new boats (Macif, BP, Gitana, Sodebo) that has expressly stated the intention to also race with a crew, at least as far as I have heard. With the higher speeds of, and boat management requirements of a foiler, how long can you expect a helm to steer the boat before fatigue sets in, and how many would you need on board to capitalize on the foiling ability for a crewed RTW record?

and Renaud Banuls ...

interesting, considering the history. no love lost!

I really hope we see some of these boats built for solo try out a 2, 3, or 3-man effort RTW to see what they can do compared to what Idec sport just did. Gitana is the only one of the new boats (Macif, BP, Gitana, Sodebo) that has expressly stated the intention to also race with a crew, at least as far as I have heard. With the higher speeds of, and boat management requirements of a foiler, how long can you expect a helm to steer the boat before fatigue sets in, and how many would you need on board to capitalize on the foiling ability for a crewed RTW record?

IIRC Thomas Coville said that after 1h and a half he was too tired and the auto-pilot was doing better than him.

And Joyon said something about less than 1 hour stints at the helm to keep it 100%.

And those were foil-assisted boats.

With full custom control software, there's probably more than one hundred things more worth doing than driving. Weather analysis and routing are probably half of them. Preventative maintenance, repairs, energy management and eating and sleeping ate at least 75% of the rest. Toss in media and sponsorship responsibilities and your at 125% with out ever touching the helm.

Driving on a solo boat in the 21st century is a fools errand.

With full custom control software, there's probably more than one hundred things more worth doing than driving. Weather analysis and routing are probably half of them. Preventative maintenance, repairs, energy management and eating and sleeping ate at least 75% of the rest. Toss in media and sponsorship responsibilities and your at 125% with out ever touching the helm.

I take your point but,given that the final difference relies on the latest few percents, it seems that when Joyon gambled on a crew with mostly top helmsmen, able to drive very hard, he paved the way to his win.

(In the post race interviews they were all adamant that staying with the two lows down south and joining both had been very touchy / in a reverse statement Coville explained that he lost valuable time just before the Horn, just because he did not have the stamina to push hard anymore and lost one system)

The little observer experience I have of true foiling is that it further increases the gap between exceptional drivers and very good ones. All that is going to be taken into account.

Gone to be interesting.

There's a huge difference between fully crewed and solo efforts.

;) I was sure that you would raise this up.

The next thing is that I tend to believe that the coming monsters will require the sailor to be even more pro-active in specific sections of the race.

I guess (but who am I ?), that they'll have to re-shuffle the resting routine and m.be somehow plan ahead for specific exhausting and "sprinting" time lapses.

Back to your original post, I expect (m.be wrongly) to see the "monsters" bring back more importance to the sailor.

2019 will tell.

I think foiling on the open ocean may still beyond autopilot for now, though. I'm not imagining the tech is there quite yet to be able to recognize/anticipate the impact of chop and other factors to keep these boats foiling well without crashing. But obviously, I'm an ignorant tool, so could be totally wrong.

The tech is there. Is it integrated with the autopilot systems in a reliable manner? My guess is yes, and my guess is also that they are using similar systems already.

Will these boats ever become fully autonomous? Certainly not in the next 10 years, there are a whole host of problems that computers simply cannot deal with (carbon fiber repair job to the mast while underway for example) that require a human supervisor. People have been saying airline captains are obsolete for the last 25+ years, and these planes are already fully autonomous from takeoff to landing.

Great interview-thanks....

Pretty good technical article on Macif's systems:

http://iq.intel.com/smart-sailing-francois-gabarts-floating-tech-lab/

Translation:

They threw some horsepower at the designers to stop renders taking forever, and put a couple mini pcs on the boat with core i7's and an asus table hooked up to B&G/Nexus/Whatever he's using. Oh and fitbits die when they get wet so we tried to get him to take a sleep survey on one of the touch screens, but just like customer support, nobody fucking takes surveys.

Macif coming out of the shed. The cockpit is now totally enclosed, and Gabart commenting on the challenge of beating Coville's new record:

Google Translate:

François Gabart, skipper of Macif: "We had partially closed the cockpit last year, and we went further this year with a system of portholes and composite partitions to better protect the helmsman. I want to drive without worrying about my safety ... We have quite precise data showing how statistically it will be difficult to beat the record of Thomas Coville, but it remains possible.

http://www.ultimboat.com/ultime-news-4

IMG_20170308_200100.jpg

2017_MACIF_CP_0803_170308MAC_1160.jpg

TrimaranMacif0004.jpg

M24--Striking new 24' foiler Test Boat from Macif/Francis Gabart :

This boat is being used as an experimental test boat close to scale of the full size Macif to test foils and foil combinations. In the picture below you can see two different ama foils both of which work like uptip foils with intrinsic altitude control. Both amas have rudder T foils.

M24-first found by zzarganas in Diam 24 thread.

http://forums.sailin...69#entry5667941

----------------------------------

UPDATE- as of 3/12/7-- no further information on whether or not there is a foil on the daggerboard.......

NOTE: One of the French guys on facebook claims that the daggerboard has a "horizontal plane, trim everything". Just spectacular if true!

PICTURE by Alexis Courcoux:

wko7rt.jpg

Since Guillaume Verdier is the designer and also designed the unique foil system on Maserati, I'll bet they'll have a foil on the daggerboard. They say:

The industrial secret lurks ... "Sodebo who plans on a new Ultimate still has time to adapt his foils to the sight of ours ," says Dardashti. So we do not show them yet. But they will be installed on the boat as soon as it is launched. "

its pretty clear the graphic design team behind the new gitana just don't get it. The last Vendee clearly demonstrated that Orange remains the go to colour for fast foils. Verdier has used orange in his modelling and yet all the renderings have come out with yellow foils. A colour which in the Vendee proved to be slow and/or weak.

Extremely aerodynamic.... very minimalist rear beam set up. Interesting rudder casings/cowlings....

Ultim news still shows that the boat may not comply with the Ultim program.

Looks fast. If it works, makes you wonder if the new BP boat will be nearly obsolete before reaching the water. Coville will obviously be very interested to see how it works with his new boat in the planning stages.

Extremely aerodynamic.... very minimalist rear beam set up. Interesting rudder casings/cowlings....

Looks fast. If it works, makes you wonder if the new BP boat will be nearly obsolete before reaching the water. Coville will obviously be very interested to see how it works with his new boat in the planning stages.

After G XVII was slightly shortened, the "only" thing which prevents her to be an Ultim is that her foils trimming is "assisted", which up to now is not class legal.

Gitana team hopes on the Class to change their mind on this. Probably once they have raced their own boats and faced Gitana .....

After G XVII was slightly shortened, the "only" thing which prevents her to be an Ultim is that her foils trimming is "assisted", which up to now is not class legal.

Gitana team hopes on the Class to change their mind on this. Probably once they have raced their own boats and faced Gitana .....

How is their foil trimming assisted?

It doesn't really make sense to allowed assisted foil trim and not sail trim...

Assisted may not be the right word.

What I understand is that they want to be able to trim foil position in 2 (3 ?) dimensions at the tip of a button, just like in the A.C

Whether they ultimately want to link that to some kind of INS system I do not know.

In other words, not replacing man-power but improving trimming speed.and response time lapse.

Assisted may not be the right word.

What I understand is that they want to be able to trim foil position in 2 (3 ?) dimensions at the tip of a button, just like in the A.C

Whether they ultimately want to link that to some kind of INS system I do not know.

In other words, not replacing man-power but improving trimming speed.and response time lapse.

I don't think. Incidence of main foil will be trim by rackable rudder only. As only the rudders will benefit from incidence control assist, through an hydraulic system.

Hama foil will remain fixed in 2D and 3D.

As far I understand, it was like this, on mod70 Gitana15 used as a prototype.

it's an half control system, compare to an AC50, with less complexity, weight and more manageable for RTW.

Ummm, look at 3:09 she looks to be foiling momentarily. Sexy.

Not really a story about boat development, but about a new player jumping into the game could lead to that:

Vincent Riou: "I'll be joining Thomas Coville's crew on The Bridge, so I'm going to go multihull, and I do not rule out the possibility of buying Sodebo Ultim after the 2018 Rhum route, I am very interested in this new circuit and I am very tempted to follow the next round of the world solo multihull from Brest in 2019. On a Route du Rhum in 2018, the current Ultim Sodebo May not be on the same level as Macif 2 (Gabart), Banque Populaire IX (Le Cléac'h) or Gitana XVII (Josse), but on a solo round the world, we do not know. , Thomas has a great time of reference with this boat.This world tour Ultim is a sacred challenge, on which I would like to be.Me what I like is to make the high level.End the next round of the world 2019 In Ultim will be a pioneering trick, but once you have the chance to be a pioneer It is a race that is going to miss a generation of sailors, and it would be con not to be there ".

Not really a story about boat development, but about a new player jumping into the game could lead to that:

Vincent Riou: "I'll be joining Thomas Coville's crew on The Bridge, so I'm going to go multihull, and I do not rule out the possibility of buying Sodebo Ultim after the 2018 Rhum route, I am very interested in this new circuit and I am very tempted to follow the next round of the world solo multihull from Brest in 2019. On a Route du Rhum in 2018, the current Ultim Sodebo May not be on the same level as Macif 2 (Gabart), Banque Populaire IX (Le Cléac'h) or Gitana XVII (Josse), but on a solo round the world, we do not know. , Thomas has a great time of reference with this boat.This world tour Ultim is a sacred challenge, on which I would like to be.Me what I like is to make the high level.End the next round of the world 2019 In Ultim will be a pioneering trick, but once you have the chance to be a pioneer It is a race that is going to miss a generation of sailors, and it would be con not to be there ".

That's his plan, he is out of a job and out of a sponsor (PRB are mothballing the IMOCA till 2020).

Money remains to be found !

New bit out on the Banque Populaire website yesterday (Google Translate):

A real technological machine, the Maxi Solo Banque Populaire IX, currently under construction at the CDK yard in Lorient, will once again concentrate all the know-how and expertise of Team Banque Populaire. Bold and ambitious, the team has spent months working, researching and developing to complete its innovation process and plans to launch the Maxi Solo Banque Populaire IX in early October 2017. Its skipper Armel Le Cléac'h will not line up at the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre, favoring the optimization and reliability of its trimaran of 32 meters by a series of training at sea.

Ronan Lucas, director of the Banque Populaire team, explains why the new Maxi Solo Banque Populaire IX goes even further in the search for innovation: " The flight is in the air of the times, it was tutoyait on the Vendée Globe with the Mono Banque Populaire VIII but with the new Maxi Solo Banque Populaire IX, there will be phases where the boat will fly in its entirety. It is the result of the transposition of what happens on the boats of the America's Cup, but on the scale of a trimaran destined around the world. This requires a great deal of research and development in order to arrive at a system sufficiently completed to be able to be integrated on a large Maxi. Such a construction takes time and projects us further into technological innovation. Our next goals are the Route du Rhum in 2018 and then the solo round the world in 2019. Rather than saying, "we will do this later on the occasion of a new project", we prefer to be ambitious and have the " Complete kit "as soon as the boat is launched in early October. "

We should also mention the incredible work carried out by the consulting bureau of the Banque Populaire team, which has been thinking for months about adapting a configuration for in-shore races to a boat of nearly 15 tons Offshore racing: "It is the result of an enriched development over the months, which took a lot of time in terms of structural calculations because it is a multitude of parts that must work together. We prefer to ignore the Transat Jacques Vabre to make the boat more reliable and as soon as January 2018, be able to cross the Atlantic, " concludes Ronan Lucas.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but it sounds like they made a change during construction to make the boat a full-foiler.  I don't remember this boat project having that intent, before, but rather that it was going to be more like Macif.  Now, even though they started the build after the new Gitana boat, it sounds like they will have the boat in the shop for longer, missing the TJV to optimise the boat for full-foiling.  Am I wrong on any of that?

http://www.voile.banquepopulaire.fr/news/une-technologie-de-pointe-au-service-du-maxi-solo-banque-populaire-ix/

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voile.banquepopulaire.fr%2Fnews%2Fune-technologie-de-pointe-au-service-du-maxi-solo-banque-populaire-ix%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Gitana launching in just over a week (July 17):

Pierre Tissier, technical director of the Gitana Team, is one of the conductors of this organization. On a daily basis, he is the link between the team, the design office and the various suppliers and major players in the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild project, to ensure not only the quality of the building but also the perfect fit Planning: "Everything is set up here and we are close to the day in the table of march that we had set. There are still some possible hazards on certain parts in machining but if everything goes as planned we will be in water on July 17th! The hardware is in place, the electronics is coming to an end and we will soon be able to attack the laying of the nets. This will be the case next week when the painting of the floats will be completed. All the hydraulic installation is carried out in parallel because for this part it was necessary to wait until the end of the composites of the platform. The mast and the boom are currently equipped in Lorient at Lorima. The appendages are made by external suppliers - Re Fraschini in Italy for foils, C3 technologies in La Rochelle for rudders and Heol Composites for drift - and will really be the last pieces to join the puzzle in the last days of construction . "

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gitana-team.com%2Fa-1254%2Fmise-a-l-eau-du-maxi-edmond-de-rothschild-programmee-le-17-juillet&edit-text=

Artsy story about the livery on the new Gitana, here: http://www.gitana-team.com/a-1255/genese-d-une-uvre-maritime

This is going to be a very cool boat.  Most excited I have been about a new launch since the big BP (now Spindrift).  This is going to be a very cool looking, very fast boat.  When this and the new BP boat join Safran, Idec Sport, Spindrift, & Sodebo, the G-class fleet will be the deepest it has ever been.  Then on to the new Sodebo (& Sailrocket?)!

Isn't there a query over one of the big boats not joining the group? I recall something about auto rudder rake controls being banned and one of the teams not liking that.

Can't remember the details right now.

Gitana is not foremost concerned with the Ultim class, but rather on record-breaking, and so designed their boat on that basis.  I don't know if it is clear, yet, whether they will be allowed to race in the "official" ultim events, but the other races such as the RdR & TJV they will obviously be competing with them.  Spindrift was ruled out, basically, given the size limits. 

Gitana launched today.

Next up: training asap, Transat Jacques Vabre, 2017, Route du Rhum 2018 - and apparently also the ultime single handed RTW in 2019

7 hours ago, Chasm said:

Gitana launched today.

Next up: training asap, Transat Jacques Vabre, 2017, Route du Rhum 2018 - and apparently also the ultime single handed RTW in 2019

Does it have stored power for the foil adjustments?  Those big things on the back of the AMAs make me think this boat will need more than a single guy on a bicycle or coffee grinder.

2 min Interview with Guillame Verdier about EdR tri. Offshore foiling still very unknown territory, much to learn, a lot of testing. Cat faster, if 100% foiling , which isn't even close to realistic at the moment. Apparently platform a bit heavier to be able to handle the loads and to accommodate all the steering systems   

Well, is Gitana 17 now the baddest-ass boat on the planet?  Beautiful boat.

That center foil is not as large as I would have thought, but I guess the idea is to have most of the weight on the ama foils (looking forward to seeing what they look like), rather than the center foil... so I guess it makes sense.

No way.  Gitana is beautiful and a beast.  Macif seems relatively uninspired, but only because it is almost two years older tech.  From the hull shape, to the foils, to the cabin, to the livery, Gitana looks just so damned advanced.  I'm also a bit biased relative to looks, because I vastly prefer the design philosophy of Gitana, designed for both crewed and solo sailing.  I'm not a fan of the solo-specific concept, as I love crewed races and record attempts.

Jet Service V had the same problems: too fast for the rest, it was banned and the 60' "standard" was created. 

After Joyon and Coville had some records broken with their 100' tris and the 60' ORMA fleet was quite reduced La Route du Rhum allowed again any sized boat.

And now history repeats itself ... 32 meters instead of 60 feet, and crewed instead of solo, but it certainly is a déjà  vu.

41 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

Thanks for sharing that.  I have never liked the way the Ultime collective does their thing, even less so, now.  I love that they have managed to organize several teams to get out there on the baddest-ass fleet, ever, but don't call it Ultime (ultimate, I'm assuming) when you block out the baddest ass boat on the planet.  And don't tell organizers they can't even let Spindrift in to existing races like the TjV or The Bridge.  Lame, Spindrift was essentially uninvited to The Bridge after being the first to commit. 

Sounds like they have put Spindrift2 on a bit of a lightening project, planning for smaller crew, as well as adding T rudders, looking to probably get her to skim more.

118' / 72' foiling cat?  I don't know how this one slipped by me:

An intelligent boat capable of maintaining a crazy pace

Except that if you know how to build ultra fast foilers, you do not know how to maintain their best performance over days and weeks. Which leads Sébastien Rogues to this conclusion: "To make a ship fly around the world, it must be intelligent and connected. " This is what the Pegasius project is all about: a foil-powered maxi-catamaran, 100% autonomous in energy with sensors and IoT everywhere, a mix of cellular and satellite communications, data stored in the cloud, machine learning, Artificial intelligence, algorithms to evaluate all options in real time. "Because a skipper does not think much better when he's cold and hungry. It takes technology to accompany it. "

The boat will measure thirty meters, for 22 wide, with a mast culminating at 36 meters. On board, a dozen sailors "to lead this thoroughbred of the seas" . Themselves will be connected to monitor fatigue and optimize the shifts. The schedule provides for launching in 2019 and "a first attempt to round the planet by the three caps in 2020" . For we must foresee several. "No team broke the record the first time. Pegasius gave himself until 2023 to hang his name at the top of the list.

Raising funds and skills

Today, the Pégasius project has all the characteristics of a startup: "We are raising funds. " The objective is twofold: to raise the necessary funding and to form a consortium of partners capable of providing the necessary expertise. With the ambition of making this planetary time a showcase of the know-how of the various contributors. " Pegasius Project will serve as a test in a hostile environment for all these technologies because they will operate under extreme conditions of cold, humidity and vibration. If we manage to return from this world tour with a chain as powerful as the start, the bet will be won. "

http://www.lemag-numerique.com/2017/05/pegasius-le-voilier-connecte-qui-volera-autour-du-monde-10137

G-Trans: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemag-numerique.com%2F2017%2F05%2Fpegasius-le-voilier-connecte-qui-volera-autour-du-monde-10137

Phaedo just sold their MOD to Karl Kwok. So, what does this mean about the future for Phaedo?  Will they be building a G-Class, or is their thirst for offshore record breaking quenched?

G-Trans:

No comment from the side of Team Phaedo either, end of the race program offshore? Construction of a new maxi multihull? Miles Seddon made an exit on Macif at the beginning of the year and Sam Goodchild is currently part of the crew of Spindrift 2. Without forgetting to pass on the side of the maxi multihulls of Brian Thompson ...

Lloyd Thornburg, Brian Thompson, Miles Seddon, Paul Allen, Sam Goodchild, Henry Bomby, Fletcher Kennedy and Lloyd Thornburg for his investment and the crew of Phaedo 3 for the incredible record in just a short time. , Michel Desjoyeaux, Damien Foxall and many others ...

http://www.ultimboat.com/ultime-news-5

By the way, is that the "Paul Allen" with unlimited $$$?

14 hours ago, GauchoGreg said:

Phaedo just sold their MOD to Karl Kwok. So, what does this mean about the future for Phaedo?  Will they be building a G-Class, or is their thirst for offshore record breaking quenched?

G-Trans:

By the way, is that the "Paul Allen" with unlimited $$$?

Phaedo now has a D35 they are sailing in Switzerland, maybe the gunboat might make a return to ocean racing. I heard rumours that they might take their chartered Carkeek 40 mk1 to the solent for the Fast 40+ fleet. No doubt he'll keep himself and his team busy somehow

For lack of a better place to post it, a new multi-class event for multi-hulls, including the G-Class / Ultime (G-Trans):

In an ITW at Voiles & Voiliers, skipper Marc Guillemot, skipper of IMOCA60 Safran, ORMA60 Biscuit La Trinitaine and former crew member among others on the Jet Services, reveals that he tries to relaunch the famous Multihulls Trophy, an unmissable event of the 80's and 90's at La Trinité sur Mer for the French offshore race.

The new Multihulls Trophy, which will take place at the end of August 2018, in several Morbihan ports, will accommodate the various classes of multihulls, from the Flying Phantom dinghy, to the DIAM24, perhaps the GC32, the Multi50, the multihulls, and of course the Ultimate, who will be based in Lorient.

A large gathering, very convivial, with villages open to the public, free spectator boats for the public ... One in haste!

Gabart, in a story about his pending RTW effort, discusses that they will be modifying Macif next year to try and deal with the new foilers (Gitana 17 & BPIX):

GTrans:

The Macif trimaran will be thoroughly modified next winter, from which the stand-by of 3 months maxi. Probably an evolution towards the flight, to get to the level of the new Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, Banque Populaire IX and the future Sodebo 5. Larger foils, more bearers.

I bet they all adapt Verdier's solution!

Been to Lorient and La Trinite last week on holidays. Saw all of the big ones ( and man they´re really big when you stand next to them) except BP, Macif and Idec. Spindrift got her rudders out (new T-rudders?) and Sodebo definitely has T-rudders. Because the boats were in the water I couldn´t see wether they got center-foils or not.

Shot some pics. Can anybody tell my how to post them here if wanted? May I post 7MB pics? Or should change the size?

On the pier it was written that Spindrift will make a new Jules Verne try in November and  Actual will try it solo.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:57 AM, GauchoGreg said:

BPIX launching on October 16.

Another delay for Banque Populaire:  " LAST MINUTE NFO: Due to the windy weather announced on Lorient early next week, Team Banque Populaire is forced to postpone the launch of the Maxi Banque Populaire IX scheduled initially on Monday 16 October. The Banque Populaire team is currently studying the favorable dates for launching maneuvers under optimum safety conditions."

http://www.voile.banquepopulaire.fr/news/le-maxi-banque-populaire-ix-bientot-pret-a-prendre-son-envol/

You need to be more specific.....

LAST MINUTE NFO: Due to the windy weather announced on Lorient early next week, Team Banque Populaire is forced to postpone the launch of the Maxi Banque Populaire IX scheduled initially on Monday 16 October. The Banque Populaire team is currently studying the favorable dates for launching maneuvers under optimum safety conditions.

After two years and more than 135,000 hours of work since the end of 2015, the new Ultim, the Maxi Banque Populaire IX will be launched on 16 October * in Lorient, where its construction is currently being completed. Concentrated with high technology and innovation, the 32-meter trimaran was designed to fly safely at speeds now close to 50 knots.

Home stretch
"Team Banque Populaire, the CDK Technologies yard and the subcontractors have done a really impressive job. After the Vendée Globe, I needed to blow and recharge. To have such a team behind me in whom I have a blind confidence, makes it possible to regain the energy indispensable on this type of project. We are really looking forward to sailing and making the first flights on board, "says Armel Le Cléac'h,

Know-how and expertise
Designing such a sophisticated machine and then assembling this giant puzzle was a real challenge. The Banque Populaire team, which has already built, among others, Banque Populaire V in 2008 (the largest multihull ever launched), has put all its know-how and experience at the service of this new giant of the seas. "Things are going well," says Ronan Lucas, director of the Banque Populaire team. "The decision not to align with the Transat Jacques Vabre at the beginning of November was not easy to take. These boats are now very complicated to build compared to conventional multihulls, we had to have the time to put everything in place serenely to go to our approach of innovation. It should not be forgotten that the objective remains the Route du Rhum in November 2018, then around the world a year later. "

A boat flying around the world
"The rudders equipped with bearing planes, and the mobiles whose cant can be adjusted (angulation of the foil from the inside to the outside and vice versa) and the rake (angle of incidence of the front backwards and forwards and backwards) in navigation as on the boats of the last America's Cup, require a lot of tuning and time to make everything reliable, "says Ronan Lucas. "We do not lose sight of the fact that Banque Populaire IX is going around the world. And if there is a failure in the hydraulic system, it is necessary to be able to manually block and freeze the appendages in order to navigate in a conventional manner. That adds a lot of complexity to the whole. "

High technology on all floors
The futurist of Banque Populaire IX and his nose of airliner illustrate the consistency of the deck plan. "This type of was initiated on Banque Populaire V, with the difference that we arranged it for the solitaire, in order to avoid Armel from running on one side or the other for a listening or" adds Ronan Lucas. "We also decided to keep a good view from the front of the boat so that it can see off when it and when it is in standby, can rest securely. We have therefore made this choice of cell of life, and have grouped all the winches, so that by extending the arm, it has access to all the maneuvers. "Banque Populaire IX is a solo boat, but it can be used as a crew - therefore versatile - with forms of shells a little more round on the front of the floats. "From experience, and in line with the 60 Banque Populaire VIII, one never makes extreme choices. We are always trying to design a marine boat that can fly but will also pass correctly in the sea in archimedean mode in the near or in the big sea "concludes the Director of Team Banque Populaire.

135,000 hours of work
For a fortnight, the all carbon boat has come out of the composite and structural phase. All equipment - hydraulic and hydraulic - is currently being installed on board, before painting and finishing work. This gigantic project was once again supervised by Pierre-Emmanuel Hérissé. "We see the tunnel and are very serene by discovering every night that the boat takes shape," explains the Technical Director of Team Banque Populaire. "Beyond the architectural team around VPLP and Martin Fisher, nearly 100 people have worked on the construction, between the team, CDK and the subcontractors, whether for composite parts, tooling , assembly, sails, ... for a total of over 135,000 hours. And currently, until the launch, it is about fifty people who activate on and under the bridge

On 14/10/2017 at 6:42 PM, Santi said:

Does anyone have any information/research on foils?

Urgently needed for academic stuff!

Thanks

Avoid Doug Lord in the way you avoid syphallis