GauchoGreg

Ultime / G-Class Development

ULTIM Development:

In François Gabart 10 nov. message :
""You have to find the balance to be able to stay in support on the central hull, but it's not so easy when you go fast. I cannot stay on the central hull all the time and I'm still not comfortable sleeping like that. It's starting to come, it will take training again. But my sleep is damaged, despite fatigue. I still managed to take a few naps."

Is it not in this case that a foil on central daggerboard, when adjusted to provide a small downforce, which can add passive safety when the singlehander is sleeping ? In case of gust of wind with a move to more heel, the inflow incidence on this foil increase instantly and can provide an extra RM which adds to the one due to the weight. And moreover in steady state condition, this foil RM component is in squared speed boat, can increase in parallel with heeling moment in squared apparent wind speed. I am right ?  (Oui---DL)

• Downvote 4

Do you really have to a shit in every single multihull thread Doug??? 

For fucks sake, give it a fucking break!!!<_<

Whats the matter-you can't even stand what Gabart says about Ultim development now? Only one word from me and your small brain fries!! You're an unfortunate, pitiful little anonymous person......

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

ULTIM Development:

""You have to find the balance to be able to stay in support on the central hull, but it's not so easy when you go fast. I cannot stay on the central hull all the time and I'm still not comfortable sleeping like that. It's starting to come, it will take training again. But my sleep is damaged, despite fatigue. I still managed to take a few naps."

Is it not in this case that a foil on central daggerboard, when adjusted to provide a small downforce, which can add passive safety when the singlehander is sleeping ? In case of gust of wind with a move to more heel, the inflow incidence on this foil increase instantly and can provide an extra RM which adds to the one due to the weight. And moreover in steady state condition, this foil RM component is in squared speed boat, can increase in parallel with heeling moment in squared apparent wind speed. I am right ?  (Oui---DL)

Because coming on and off the foil and the successive big accelerations and decelerations are going to be such pleasant sleeping conditions...

14 minutes ago, ASP said:

Because coming on and off the foil and the successive big accelerations and decelerations are going to be such pleasant sleeping conditions...

not to mention the associated big changes in AWA each time coming on/falling off the foils

12 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

Whats the matter-you can't even stand what Gabart says about Ultim development now? Only one word from me and your small brain fries!! You're an unfortunate, pitiful little anonymous person......

You’ve nailed it Doug, we want to hear what Gabart and others have to say based on their real world experience and knowledge. 

Not your never ending bright red fonts that are repeated time and time again in every single multihull and foiling thread. 

13 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

ULTIM Development:

"Is it not in this case that a foil on central daggerboard, when adjusted to provide a small downforce, which can add passive safety when the singlehander is sleeping ? In case of gust of wind with a move to more heel, the inflow incidence on this foil increase instantly and can provide an extra RM which adds to the one due to the weight. And moreover in steady state condition, this foil RM component is in squared speed boat, can increase in parallel with heeling moment in squared apparent wind speed. I am right ?"  (Oui---DL)

This whole message is from Gabart! Except ,of course, the (Oui---DL) part!

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

This whole message is from Gabart! Except ,of course, the (Oui---DL) part!

So link to the original and stop fucking around with the red font you idiot!! <_<

• Like 1

IDEC (ex groupama) is going through a major/medium refit :

https://www.idecsport-sailing.com/2017/12/04/objectif-rhum-francis-joyon/

Basically they will not target a "full flying" configuration, as this would add too much reinforcement weight (2 tons) and require bigger mast and sails, but will modify the foils (not exactly sure how), and will also put some T foils on the rudders, expecting a 3 to 4 knts gain in some wind/sea configuration.

They will also put back the bike that Cammas used on his winning Route du Rhum with this boat.

Next race : Nice Ultimed (end April 2018) and then the route du rhum in November 2018.

Not worth a new thread, at this point, but a new race announced for 2019 (G-Trans of https://www.ultimboat.com/ultime-news-6):

At the turn of the Transat Lorient-Bermuda - Lorient to announce its return to Nautic Paris this Wednesday. The mythical transat will return in April 2019. The departure will be given from Lorient on April 21, 2019 on a route of 6000 nonstop miles.

A race that had been relaunched in 2007, but canceled due to lack of participants at the time.

Marc Pajot, who participated in the first edition of Eric Tabarly's Paul Ricard, was present during this presentation, as was Gérard Petitpas.

A race which will be disputed in crew and no longer in double and which is registered in the program of collective Ultim '. The Banque Populaire, Actual and Macif teams have already announced their participation.

Armel Le Cléac'h, skipper of Banque Populaire IX: "I am very happy with the return of this great race on the calendar, which is also crewed.This race had already a very beautiful story, I am delighted that we can write a new page The course is very interesting with a go that can be engaged and a very fast return.This promises great fights on the Atlantic ".

Again, too bad they can't cut the crap and get Gitana & Spindrift involved.  Both the length restriction and the limitations on automatic foil controls seem dumber and dumber as time goes by.

• Like 1

I bet they will find some agreement with Gitana, don't think so with Spindrift though.

34 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I bet they will find some agreement with Gitana, don't think so with Spindrift though.

They should just grandfather inclusion to Spindrift, but then say no more boats over whatever length.  At this point, I am not thinking Spindrift has an edge on the other boats in anything but the most extreme heavy seas.

Yes could be, once bp9, macif or Gitana do 1000 miles in 24h, and it will probably be soon, they will let them in :) , but Spindrfit maybe still has an edge in light (non foiling) weather as well, not sure what is the minimum wind speed for bp9 or gitana to foil. 

I hope Spindrift will start on Monday, the window at least for the North Atlaantic looks great.

Been a long while since a post in this thread, but with announcement that Actual can't find their flipped boat (if g-trans is correct), they are indicating their options in order to continue as a participant in the Ultim Collective (and one option is to build a sister-ship to the next Sodebo or Banque Pop):

The Actual Group indicates, in the same message, that it remains totally involved in the Ultim 'Collective and is studying the different possibilities to be at the start of the 2019 Solo World Tour. 

At this stage, the different possibilities are:

The takeover, see the lease of Qingdao-China (the former IDEC), currently in Richmond California. Some work and the return to Europe, Yves Le Blévec may be at the start of the Route du Rhum, without really being able to engage in the fight for the podium.

Recover the remains of the former Oman Air, currently in Lorient, and make it evolve, new arms, new floats, wider width, foils of recent generation, The boat can be on the starting line at St Malo and be competitive .

To wait for the arrival of the Route du Rhum, and to buy the Sodebo Ultim ', to continue the optimization and to be at the beginning of the world tour alone 2019, being able to compete with the other competitors.

Launch the construction of a Sodebo Ultim '2 or Banque Populaire IX sister ship and be on the starting line in December 2019 in Brest for the victory.

https://www.ultimboat.com/ultime-news-6

• Like 1

Actual will probably refit an old boat, they're not the most blinged up ocean racing team compared to the likes of BP, MACIF, Gitana and the like. Which is a real shame. 

Re-Posting what QBF posted in its own thread, but here for chronology of G-Class development sake, Gabart's new boat in 2020:

https://www.macifcourseaularge.com/actus/groupe-macif-renouvelle-engagement-course-large-aux-cotes-de-francois-gabart-dela-de-2020/

By the way, would this (the current and to be former Macif) not be a perfect fit for Actual?

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 10:02 AM, GauchoGreg said:

Re-Posting what QBF posted in its own thread, but here for chronology of G-Class development sake, Gabart's new boat in 2020:

https://www.macifcourseaularge.com/actus/groupe-macif-renouvelle-engagement-course-large-aux-cotes-de-francois-gabart-dela-de-2020/

By the way, would this (the current and to be former Macif) not be a perfect fit for Actual?

I've attempted to email the "Powers That Be" to merge my thread into this one.  Not sure they got my email, but you're right, my info belonged in this thread.

Prince de Bretagne ends sponsorship of their Maxie 80.

Lionel Lemonchois : « Je remercie chaleureusement l’ensemble des producteurs de la marque Prince de Bretagne qui m’ont apporté leur soutien inconditionnel ces huit dernières années, que ce soit dans les succès comme dans les moments plus durs. Ensemble, nous avons écrit de belles histoires et de cela, je suis extrêmement fier. »

Investis depuis 2009 dans le domaine de la course au large, depuis 2010 au côté de Lionel Lemonchois et depuis 2012 avec le maxi trimaran de 80 pieds, Prince de Bretagne choisit aujourd’hui de réorienter sa communication. En effet, après neuf années de sponsoring voile, levier de communication puissant qui a permis à la marque de développer sa notoriété en France comme à l’international, le leader en légumes frais en Europe change de cap afin, d’une part, de mettre davantage en valeur les pratiques durables et responsables de ses producteurs et, d’autre part, de s’adapter au contexte économique légumier.

Certains destins sont taillés pour le succès à la manière d’un navire dont la construction a été soigneusement étudiée. Le parcours de la marque Prince de Bretagne, forte des valeurs qui lui ont assuré de grandes victoires sur le plan commercial (dynamisme, fidélité aux gens, au territoire, goût de l'excellence…) et dans le milieu de la voile compte parmi ces belles histoires. Sur le plan purement sportif, d’abord, avec de formidables aventures mais aussi de belles victoires, à commencer par celle décrochée dans la mythique Route du Rhum, en 2010, dans la catégorie des Multi50. Toutes ces réussites rencontrées par le skipper Lionel Lemonchois sur les plus grandes courses à la voile ont permis à Prince de Bretagne de multiplier par quinze en cinq ans ses retombées presse puis de développer sa notoriété tout en portant les valeurs communes à la marque et à ce sport (complémentarité terre/mer, défi humain, capacité d’innovation, développement durable…), en France comme à l’international. Reste qu’aujourd’hui, après neuf années durant lesquelles le sponsoring est resté leur principale action de communication, les 2 000 producteurs de la marque leader en exportation de Fruits & Légumes frais, fiers que Lionel Lemonchois demeure toutefois l'un de leurs ambassadeurs, décident de changer de cap. Un choix motivé par le contexte économique légumier, mais aussi par la nécessité pour elle de faire évoluer sa communication en l’orientant sur la mise en avant de sa nouvelle charte d’engagement de marque et sur les valeurs et pratiques durables et responsables des producteurs Prince de Bretagne.

Le maxi 80 Prince de Bretagne ne sera donc pas au départ de la Route du Rhum - Destination Guadeloupe 2018, mais la marque reste dans les fidèles partenaires bretons qui relayeront le 40èmeanniversaire de la manifestation au travers de ses actions de promotion et de communication.

Lionel Lemonchois : « Je remercie chaleureusement l’ensemble des producteurs de la marque Prince de Bretagne qui m’ont apporté leur soutien inconditionnel ces huit dernières années, que ce soit dans les succès comme dans les moments plus durs. Ensemble, nous avons écrit de belles histoires et de cela, je suis extrêmement fier.

MACHINE TRANSLATION

Lionel Lemonchois: I warmly thank all the producers of the Prince of Brittany brand who have given me their unconditional support over the last eight years, whether in successes or in the toughest times. Together we have written great stories and that, I am extremely proud. »

Invested since 2009 in the field of offshore racing, since 2010 to the side of Lionel Lemonchois and since 2012 with the maxi Trimaran of 80 feet, Prince of Brittany today chooses to reorient his communication. Indeed, after nine years of sponsorship sailing, powerful communication lever that allowed the brand to develop its notoriety in France as internationally, the leader in fresh vegetables in Europe is changing course in order, on the one hand, to put more in value The sustainable and responsible practices of its producers and, on the other hand, to adapt to the vegetable economic context.

Some destinies are carved for success in the manner of a ship whose construction has been carefully studied. The route of the brand Prince of Brittany, strong of the values that ensured him great victories on the commercial level (dynamism, fidelity to people, to the territory, taste of Excellence...) and in the midst of sailing is one of those beautiful stories. On the purely sporting level, first, with great adventures but also beautiful victories, starting with the one picked up in the mythical Route of rum, in 2010, in the category of Multi50. All these successes encountered by the skipper Lionel Lemonchois on the biggest sailing races have allowed Prince of Brittany to multiply by fifteen in five years his impact press then to develop his notoriety while carrying the values common to the Brand and this sport (complementarity between land and sea, human challenge, capacity for innovation, sustainable development...), in France and internationally. It remains that today, after nine years during which sponsorship remained their main communication action, the 2 000 producers of the leading brand in export of fresh fruit & vegetables, proud that Lionel Lemonchois remains one of Their ambassadors, decide to change course. A choice motivated by the vegetable economic context, but also by the need for it to evolve its communication by directing it to the development of its new brand commitment Charter and the sustainable and responsible values and practices of Producers Prince of Brittany.

The Maxi 80 Prince of Brittany will therefore not be at the start of the Route of Rum-Destination Guadeloupe 2018, but the brand remains in the faithful Breton partners who relay the 40th Anniversaire of the event through its actions of promotion and Communication.

Lionel Lemonchois: I warmly thank all the producers of the Prince of Brittany brand who have given me their unconditional support over the last eight years, whether in successes or in the toughest times. Together we have written great stories and that, I am extremely proud.

https://www.voile.princedebretagne.com/fr/actualites/702/changement-de-cap-pour-prince-de-bretagne.html

5a9e9a60c8baf_PrincedeBretagne.jpg.2643cb82938be6561957049e570d2b17.jpg

^ I always thought that boat had the potential to get some wins with the right conditions... I also just really liked the looks of the boat, but it never seemed to work out.

20 hours ago, GauchoGreg said:

^ I always thought that boat had the potential to get some wins with the right conditions... I also just really liked the looks of the boat, but it never seemed to work out.

I thought that myself, but it seems to flip as readily as a MOD70. Four of the seven MOD70's have capsized, and four of them are for sale. I was half expecting the Prince de Bretagne company to change skippers after the second capsize.

There was one video I watched during the 2014 Route du Rhum where the boat was  going 42-knots, so the boat is certainly capable of winning races. The screaming sound on the video was unreal and extremely loud. It sounded like a machine shop at full volume.

* First capsize: January 2014

* Second capsize: October 2015

* Dismasting: 2017

29 minutes ago, QBF said:

I thought that myself, but it seems to flip as readily as a MOD70. Four of the seven MOD70's have capsized, and four of them are for sale. I was half expecting the Prince de Bretagne company to change skippers after the second capsize.

There was one video I watched during the 2014 Route du Rhum where the boat was  going 42-knots, so the boat is certainly capable of winning races. The screaming sound on the video was unreal and extremely loud. It sounded like a machine shop at full volume.

* First capsize: January 2014

* Second capsize: October 2015

* Dismasting: 2017

Do you have a link to the video from 2014?

52 minutes ago, mad said:

Do you have a link to the video from 2014?

I couldn't find the video but here are two others:

• Like 1

Yves Le Blévec and Acutal purchase Sodebo Ultime!

Samuel Tual, the CEO of Actual, and the skipper, Yves Le Blevec, are not the type to give up on new challenges!! Actual Ultim will therefore be at the beginning of the "tour of the world in solitary multicoque" which will be sent to the end of 2019. " it's really exciting to be able to reboot so quickly on such a project. The boat is bigger, more powerful, more powerful than the old one: it changes, of course, the " performance " approach, on a tour of the world, it will be part of the boats capable of winning... "

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/course-regate/yves-le-blevec-cest-une-grande-nouvelle/

MACHINE TRANSLATION

Yves Le Blevec: "This is great news!"

Yves Le Blevec will take the start of the solo tour of the world of 2019 reserved for the Ultim aboard the current Sodebo Ultim '. His sponsor, actual, has indeed decided to redeem the current trimaran of Thomas Coville, the latter having a new trimaran, currently under construction, for this same event. Excellent news for the skipper Trinitain who lost last December his own trimaran – Actual Ultim – following a capsize off Cape Horn caused by the breakage of a liaison arm. It is a Blevec to the Angels who details this acquisition but also the program that awaits him on board, while announcing half-word the launch of a future trimaran!

Voilesetvoiliers.com: How long have you been working on the Sodebo Ultim ' takeover project?

Yves Le Blevec: We have been working on this project since I returned from this attempt to turn the world upside down, which stopped abruptly (by a capsize at Cape Horn on 14 December 2017, ed.). Before this attempt, we talked about it by asking ourselves whether it was worth going on with the boat we had then and concentrating on having the means to have a boat as efficient as the others. The current Sodebo is at the maximum of its potential, while recent boats (Macif, Banque Populaire IX, Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, Editor's note) have a greater margin of progression, and this logically with the progress of naval architecture. The loss of Actual Ultim in December 2017 changed the data.

Voilesetvoiliers.com: The takeover of Sodebo therefore responds to this urgency.

Y.L.B.: That's it. To be at the start of the tour of the world with a totally competitive boat; Be in the game with the others. But it is not necessarily the support that will accompany us in the next six years.

Voilesetvoiliers.com: So the project is to buy this boat while launching the construction of a new one?

Y.L.B.: A project is presented to this effect. But the program is hard to say at this point. My job with Actual is to present a project to be as successful as possible with an arbitration that Samuel Tual will perform himself. I'll give him the leads.

Voilesetvoiliers.com: Can the current Sodebo still evolve in view of the world Tour 2019 where is it at the end of its evolution?

Y.L.B.: I will tell you a little more when we have been able to get into the details of the boat. Nothing being signed before, we could not discuss in detail with the team Sodebo. This ship has come to maturity. He has a big potential for speed: he was seen on the Transat Jacques Vabre where he wins in a week of racing. I do not yet have the answers on its potential for evolution. But we have elements. If the Sodebo team decided to launch a new boat, it is that it considers that to have a more efficient unit it was necessary to change the platform. It is his analysis with the elements that she has and that I do not all yet.

Voilesetvoiliers.com: It does not prevent that with this boat you will be much more in the race than with the Actual Ultim lost at Cape Horn...

Y.L.B.: Incomparable way. Even if there is a speed delta between my future boat and those who sail and are a little bit faster, this gap has nothing to do with Actual Ultim and the rest of the fleet! We're close at the same level. I'll be in the game. The advantage in particular in relation to the future Sodebo (currently under construction and which will be launched after the Route du Rum 2018, ed.), for example, is that it will be perfectly reliable and in point.

Voilesetvoiliers.com: Even if it's the Actual company that buys this boat, for you as a skipper it's great news!

Y.L.B.: Yes, absolutely! Samuel Tual immediately took his hand after the accident at the end of 2017: For him, this adventure did not work but it is part of the story and we continue! He's not just saying it, he's acting. I am dealing with a business manager who fully assumes and knows that by going in the offshore race, you communicate about the extreme, the risk, the commitment... elements that arouse admiration. But he takes his share, because he knows that it is not without risk. Coherence and dynamism in the commitment

Voilesetvoiliers.com: How much does such a boat buy?

Y.L.B.: Honestly, I do not know...

Voilesetvoiliers.com: Let's go...

Y.L.B.: No. I have given elements but I do not know the purpose of the discussion between Samuel Tual and Patricia Britton (patron saint of Sodebo, ed.). I know there was a discrepancy in the discussions but I do not know how it was filled, nor by whom. I leave it to Samuel Tual to announce it if he wishes. What is certain is that we will have the boat after the road of Rum 2018. If Actual and Sodebo sign a promise to sell, the transfer of ownership will be done at the end of 2018.

Voilesetvoiliers.com: So you're not going to tell me the overall budget of the project?

Y.L.B.: I leave to Samuel Tual there also the care to communicate if he wishes (this same Samuel Tual revealed on his side that the annual budget was 3 million euros, or 0.5% of the turnover of Actual which is 600 million euros. This would be the smallest budget of the Ultim class. Ed.). What I can announce is that the team is going to go from seven to ten people. We are increasing in proportion to the turnaround torque of the new boat in front of the previous Actual Ultim! Laughter) Again, that is great news.

Y.L.B. : Le programme sera très simple : entrée en chantier fin 2018 et mise aux couleurs du nouveau parrain. Fin avril 2019, ce sera la course Lorient-Les Bermudes-Lorient. Ensuite, entraînements en solitaire, dont une qualification à faire par le biais d’une traversée de l’Atlantique et puis le départ du tour du monde (de Brest, le 29 décembre 2019, ndlr) c’est-à-dire demain !

Voilesetvoiliers.com : Avant d’avoir ce bateau, allez-vous naviguer avec Thomas Coville et son équipe ?

Y.L.B. : Nous avons discuté sur les grandes lignes de ce qu’il est possible de faire notamment dans le cadre du transfert de propriété. Et sur le principe d’aller naviguer à bord, moi et l’équipe on doit encore le définir. Mais ce sera simple : Thomas et moi sommes voisins de ponton à La Trinité depuis des années. C’est dans l’intérêt de tous de collaborer. Pour l’équipe de Thomas, avoir celle d’Actual à bord à l’occasion sera d’autant plus intéressant qu’ils ont actuellement un bateau en chantier à terminer ! Sinon, j’ai bien identifié ce qui ne sera pas transmis par l’équipe Sodebo. Ils ont des espaces techniques qu’ils souhaitent garder pour eux et c’est normal.

Y.L.B. : Exactement. Et c’est important car le collectif Ultim était impliqué avec Nice et ASO pour monter cet événement en s’engageant sur un minimum de quatre bateaux au départ. La perte d‘Actual Ultim posait des problèmes (du coup, en plus de ce bateau seront présents Sodebo Ultim’, Banque Populaire IX et IDEC Sport, ndlr). La classe a voulu respecter cet engagement. Ce bateau est léger et rapide et s’il n’y a pas trop de mer il peut tenir des cadences élevées mais dès qu’il y aura des vagues, les différences de vitesses entre lui et les autres seront notables. Mais dans certaines conditions on pourra jouer !

Voilesetvoiliers.com : Et du coup pas de Route du Rhum pour vous !

Y.L.B. : À moins de faire une «Loïck Peyron» (qui fut appelé à la dernière minute en 2014 pour remplacer Armel Le Cléac’h à la barre de Banque Populaire, gagnant du coup cette transat, ndlr), je n’ai pas de bateau.

Y.L.B.: The program will be very simple: start at the end of 2018 and put in the colours of the new godfather. At the end of April 2019, it will be the Lorient race-Bermuda-Lorient. Then, solo workouts, including a qualification to be made through an Atlantic crossing and then the departure of the round the world (from Brest, December 29, 2019, ed.) IE Tomorrow!

Voilesetvoiliers.com: Before you have this boat, will you sail with Thomas Coville and his team?

Y.L.B.: We discussed on the main lines what can be done in particular in the context of the transfer of ownership. And on the principle of going sailing on board, I and the team still have to define it. But it will be simple: Thomas and I have been neighbors of pontoon in the Trinity for years. It is in everyone's interest to collaborate. For Thomas's team, having Actual on board on occasion will be all the more interesting as they currently have a boat in the works to finish! Otherwise, I have clearly identified what will not be transmitted by the Sodebo team. They have technical spaces that they want to keep for themselves and that is normal.

Y.L.B.: Exactly. And this is important because the Ultim collective was involved with Nice and ASO to set up this event by committing to a minimum of four boats at the start. The loss of Actual Ultim posed problems (so in addition to this boat will be present Sodebo Ultim ', Banque Populaire IX and IDEC Sport, Editor's note). The class wanted to respect that commitment. This boat is light and fast and if there is not too much sea it can hold high cadences but as soon as there are waves, the differences of gears between him and the others will be notable. But under certain conditions we can play!

Voilesetvoiliers.com: And suddenly no rum Route for you!

Y.L.B.: Unless you make a "Loïck Peyron" (which was called at the last minute in 2014 to replace Armel Le Cléac'h at the popular bank bar, winner of this Transat, Editor's note), I do not have a boat.

5abcc0b11fd98_TrimaranSodebo.jpg.75a31615778c47e7230483a4b23c2828.jpg

• Like 1

Romain Pilliard to race the Route du Ruhm on Ellen Mc Arthur’s old trimaran. Pilliard's tri is now named "Use It Again!"

It's nice to see these older boats get a second act.

Pilliard's website in English (not a lot of text translation yet)
https://useitagain.fr/en/

Pilliard's website in French
https://useitagain.fr

From Le Telegramme:

Machine Translation

Organizer of the Tour de Belle-Ile, Romain Pilliard, 42, bought the former trimaran of Ellen MacArthur. Goal: to be on the starting line of the Route du Rhum, on 4 November in Saint-Malo, alongside the other five ultimate.

Can you tell us a little more about your ultimate rum project?

The last race of this trimaran was the Route du Rhum 2010 (Editor's Note: 5th with Philippe Monnet, before being rented by Lalou Roucayrol in 2011). Previously, this boat, with which Ellen MacArthur had beaten the record around the world alone in 2005 (71 days and 14 hours), is passed through the hands of Oman Sail. And there, for various reasons, it sailed over. We had the opportunity to get in touch with the owner.

So you bought it?

Yes, I had the opportunity to acquire and restore to Hennebont. Here, it is like new, we give him a second life. I knew that it was a very well built in Australia, there has never a glitch. I was really sad that this beautiful trimaran sailing more. It is a very healthy and even performance boat. The idea is to do it again sail, where the name of the project 'Use it' again (use it again). We decided to promote circular economy, reuse is one of the process. So, on the Route du Rhum, the colors of the circular economy will be.

You are officially engaged?

Yes, I am committed, registration fees have been paid. So, I am officially engaged in the ultimate class 6.

Organize a Tour de Belle-Ile is one thing, cross the Atlantic alone on a 23 meters long trimaran is another...

The planning takes place. I prepare physically, especially to Lorient with a coach. Get the trimaran to water early June, I must do my qualification before mid-September, which is 1,200 miles. Between June and October, I will navigate. I did the Figaro, multihull as crew of the Imoca including Ellen MacArthur. And there, I'm leaving on a trimaran, certainly larger, and solo, but is not a very complicated boat. I mean, sure, I have to treat my physical preparation but I am not on an Orma trimaran. The multihull was built so that a woman can go around the world without taking too many risks. It is 23 metres long but there a rigging and a surface of sails very reasonable compared to its size, it is not at all winter skin. I have to take it in hand.

What is your budget?

It revolves around 1.5 million euros. Already, a large part of my partners, whose names will be announced later, allowed to have the boat. Still looking to complete the budget.

Facing sailors as Armel Le Cléac ' h, Sébastien Josse, François Gabart, Francis Joyon, Thomas Coville, what do you expect?

It's funny no? What are all of experienced skippers leading machines fantastic but it is part of the history of the Route du Rhum to have atypical profiles. There are several classes and I'm in the ultimate class. Well, I find that there is not only missiles that fly at 40 knots.

The trimaran in figures

* Architects: Nigel Irens/Cabaret Benoit
* Site: BoatSpeed in Australia
* Water: 2004
* Length: 22.90 m
* Width: 16,28 m
* Weight: 8,30 tons
* Height of mast: 30.60 m
* Draught: 4,40 m
* Materials: Airex/carbon/Kevlar
* Sail surface: 259 m² (to the close), 373 m² (with the wind)

5acc972faba87_UseItAgain!.jpg.586d01ba84e09281a963a59da04f022b.jpg

• Like 1

From Le Telegramme comes a good article published today about François Gabart's newly modified trimaran, Macif.
https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/ultime-gabart-la-v2-c-est-un-nouveau-bateau-31-07-2018-12040925.php

MACHINE TRANSLATION

After seven months of construction at CDK Technologies in Lorient, the Macif of François Gabart will be returned to the water Tuesday. Rather Archimedean Monday, the trimaran, equipped with new appendages, is flying today. Solitaire the fastest around the planet tells us everything...
-What did you do exactly seven months?

A big work of dismantling and audit after the turn of the world (Editor's Note: record in 42 days 16 h 40'). Especially continued to optimize the ergonomics of the boat, at the level of the cockpit so that it is protected as possible. It has also improved the aerodynamics of the platform, with tarpaulins on the CAP also. Then, the big changes that will, I hope, a significant impact on the performance of the boat, were made to the appendices. Here, almost everything was changed: new rudders on floats, new foils, new centreboard.

-Was this site required to remain competitive compared to the competition?

Yes, of course. Both ultimate, updated water last year, namely Bank Populaire IX and Gitana 17, have improved a lot in many areas, more than what we could do on the trimaran Macif launched in 2015. I am convinced that these two new boats are going very fast. And that, under certain conditions, they could go faster than in version 1 Macif, so we had to change our boat. But since the launch of the project, we knew in the 2017-2018 winter, we'd make these important changes. After, if it had not been Banque Populaire and Gitana, would we have done all of these changes, I am unable to say.

-Can we say that Macif, in its new version, became a flying boat?

Flying, not flying, it is still difficult to define. But yes, we're clearly on something more air.

-How are the foils of the V2 different from those of the V1?

They are longer, thinner and narrower, but the overall shape looks like roughly what is happening since 2013 on the America's Cup, namely a tip and a shaft.

-The capsizing of the "Bank Populaire IX" of Armel Le Cléach in April did worry?

Yes, this has me worried because I did not immediately if the crew was safe and sound. When you receive information like this, it's still impressive, it can not be ignored. But it has not changed the changes that we were bringing on Macif. It reminded us of a fairly violent way difficult to navigate on a multihull, the vessels which can capsize. I say and repeat it often, so keep that in mind.

-Have you installed the automatic release of the sails systems?

Yes, we had them before on the V1, we always have them on V2. We already had him at the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre in 2015, this system works, we are satisfied.

-With this version 2, you feel to start from scratch?

I am lucky to have a lot of things I already know from a technical point of view, I still have a lot of bookmarks on this boat there since 2015 where my experience was very low. Here, it is clear that he will have to learn a lot of things, in terms of settings and sensations. This is super interesting, this allows me to discover a new boat and I am delighted. I believe that I have never been this excited about a discount, except for 2015. I look forward to sailing on the boat, it itches. For two reasons: 1. it is a project that was very long, it is one of the first times in my life of marin where my main work tool is not available on such a long time. This never happened to me since the Optimist. 2. this boat is really different. I'm talking about a new boat, it is the Macif trimaran but we, in our jargon, it is called the V2.

-Route du Rhum, it's tomorrow. Will you be ready?

The agenda is clear: sail as much as possible. Need to garner a maximum of hours and miles in navigation before the departure of the rum. And this, in varied and windy conditions. While taking into account the technical constraints of these boats there which are far from negligible. With new systems that we have, I know that there are things that will not work immediately. It's part of the game. The goal is to put all of our energy to be ready for the Route du Rhum. We have a great boat to me to get the most.

Macif4.jpg

Macif3.jpg

Macif2.jpeg

Macif1.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Doug is going to shit himself with joy when he sees this. Ugh

Be more specific, your avatar or the boat...

A lot of information from François Gabart... in French.

Give me a day to give you a translation.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

A lot of information from François Gabart... in French.

Give me a day to give you a translation.

Awesome!

Finally, this thread has some meat after a long fasting.

Thanks Laurent

On 7/31/2018 at 8:53 AM, Presuming Ed said:

The boat has been back in the shop almost since the around the world record. They worked mainly on the appendices.

Even the junction area between the foils and the hulls has been changed! Part of the amas hulls have been cut out and replaced. The stern of the amas have been cut off and replaced as well. The amas are now a bit longer. That will allow to lift the ama rudders and the hydrodynamic lift generated by the rudders is no longer done by adjusting the rake of the whole rudder, but instead by a small trim tab at the back of the horizontal part of the rudders.

No modifications on the main hull rudder.

New foils are being built at CDK. They completely gutted out the trunks for the foils and built new ones. They will be able to lift the foils, of course, and adjust rake as well but not cant. Making the top of the trunk adjustable laterally was considered too heavy and too complex. They wanted to keep it simple, reliable and light.

In the cockpit, all nets have been removed (for maintenance, I guess) and they are working at improving the aerodynamics of the whole platform. The roof has been lowered by 4”; the floors on the side cockpits have been removed to reduce weight.

Ergonomy is maintained but trying to make everything lighter.

They have to put back everything together, re-install all systems that have been dismounted for checkups, and go sailing!

• Like 5

On 7/31/2018 at 4:22 PM, jackolantern said:

Doug is going to shit himself with joy when he sees this. Ugh

Don’t wake the beast! 

Ex Mod70 Musamdam is back from service in an American team
https://www.ultimboat.com/ultime-news-7

MACHINE TRANSLATION

Argo is led by American Jason Carroll who started his career in 2007 in Melges 32. With two titles of world champion in the category. But also, two American championship titles and the European championship still in Melges32. The team also won the 2013 North American Viper Championship. Since 2014, we have seen the GC32 team on the GC32 Racing Tour.

Not to mention all the class wins, see scratch on the races in the Caribbean on the Gunboat 62 Elvis.

A new category will be added to Jason Carroll's team palette, with a MOD70. Indeed, since early August, the former Musamdam Oman Sail is put in the colors of the American team.

The trimaran always carries the Oman Sail identifications.

The program communicated by the ARGO Team is a ferry to Newport, then the Carribean 600, the crossing to the Pacific to continue with the Cabo Race 2019 and the Transpac next summer.

MOD70.1.jpg

MOD70.2.jpg

This is probably a really stupid question, so flame away.  Why are the foils on the amas (?) oriented towards the centerline?  Seems they would have more righting moment and better angle in the water when heeled if they were oriented towards the outside of the boat.  What am I missing besides the obvious docking hassles.  But it is already a trimaran  (and the only reason I am still on a monohull).

3 hours ago, bridhb said:

This is probably a really stupid question, so flame away.  Why are the foils on the amas (?) oriented towards the centerline?  Seems they would have more righting moment and better angle in the water when heeled if they were oriented towards the outside of the boat.  What am I missing besides the obvious docking hassles.  But it is already a trimaran  (and the only reason I am still on a monohull).

With "L" Shaped foils - to put it simply - there are two fundamental actions being performed.

1. it acts as a daggerboard (therefore whichever ever one you are looking at) - the low pressure is on the windward side, whilst reducing leeway / side slip - whatever term you are familiar with.

2. The horiontal element - provides the vertical lift element, getting the boat up out of the water - it has the low pressure on the upper side.

In an inward facing "L" shape the two low pressure areas are on the inboard faces (and vice versa for the high pressure surfaces).

It is an evolved shape, that has come about as material science (carbon fibre of increased modulus and has allowed for more complex shapes to be supported in ever sliimer foil shapes) has allowed the straight daggerboard to become curved (banana foils) to Slallow L's, acute L's and now with tiplets and highly elegant slender sections as seen on the AC50's.

Conveniently (for docking, less likely to strike a Man overboard and or hit a rounding mark or other vessel) this works for a practical purposes.

However, If you face the L outwards (to put the lifting surface more outboard for greater Righting moment) you do not get these synergies.

Nature loves a Vacuum - so the high pressure on the vertical daggerboard element would happily bleed over to the neighbouring low pressure of the horiontal element, thereby deminishing the actions of both elements, if not completely cancel each other out - the foil simply would be much less efficient - to the point that it would not work.

A full redesign of areas, curvature, and the need for fences (which add drag, and complexity, not to mention cost) would be required. So you typically do not see them - I cant think of any that exist.....

If you notice how hydrofoils work on sailboats where the lifting surface is equally distributed to both windward and leeward of the vertical element, they have to heal to windward agressively to generate the leeway resistance needed to sail upwind - for example the International Moths. For them the vertical element is realy just a supporting strut for the wing element. Downwind they improve their VMG by sailing upright where lewway resistance is far less required - so then they can run even less flap, with less drag to go even faster..... 

Go sailing on a fast multi (not a Lagoon caravan) and see what you have been missing........

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, Boink said:

With "L" Shaped foils - to put it simply - there are two fundamental actions being performed.

1. it acts as a daggerboard (therefore whichever ever one you are looking at) - the low pressure is on the windward side, whilst reducing leeway / side slip - whatever term you are familiar with.

2. The horiontal element - provides the vertical lift element, getting the boat up out of the water - it has the low pressure on the upper side.

In an inward facing "L" shape the two low pressure areas are on the inboard faces (and vice versa for the high pressure surfaces).

It is an evolved shape, that has come about as material science (carbon fibre of increased modulus and has allowed for more complex shapes to be supported in ever sliimer foil shapes) has allowed the straight daggerboard to become curved (banana foils) to Slallow L's, acute L's and now with tiplets and highly elegant slender sections as seen on the AC50's.

Conveniently (for docking, less likely to strike a Man overboard and or hit a rounding mark or other vessel) this works for a practical purposes.

However, If you face the L outwards (to put the lifting surface more outboard for greater Righting moment) you do not get these synergies.

Nature loves a Vacuum - so the high pressure on the vertical daggerboard element would happily bleed over to the neighbouring low pressure of the horiontal element, thereby deminishing the actions of both elements, if not completely cancel each other out - the foil simply would be much less efficient - to the point that it would not work.

A full redesign of areas, curvature, and the need for fences (which add drag, and complexity, not to mention cost) would be required. So you typically do not see them - I cant think of any that exist.....

If you notice how hydrofoils work on sailboats where the lifting surface is equally distributed to both windward and leeward of the vertical element, they have to heal to windward agressively to generate the leeway resistance needed to sail upwind - for example the International Moths. For them the vertical element is realy just a supporting strut for the wing element. Downwind they improve their VMG by sailing upright where lewway resistance is far less required - so then they can run even less flap, with less drag to go even faster..... 

Go sailing on a fast multi (not a Lagoon caravan) and see what you have been missing........

Boink, very good explanation; if you consider that the L shape foil is made of two sections (vertical and horizontal), you do not want the high pressure side of one section to be side by side with the low pressure side of the other section. Otherwise flow patterns will be diverted to equalize pressures and both sections will be less efficient.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Building a new giant trimaran is a hell of a challenge! So, where did she come from? With Thomas Coville, discover the scenes of the site ultim' 3 Construction Site, which is scheduled for the end of 2018.

Screen capture image of a float for Sodebo Ultim' 3

1957745910_ScreenCapture.thumb.jpg.191ff3f52c08b0824ba3fad7416333bc.jpg

Interesting that in the deck cut out one side of the laminate looks like plastic honeycomb ?

I don't follow your surprise.

Were you expecting ferro cement or steel plate?

If you refer to why you clearly see nomex core cells on the right side, but a more uniform surface on the left, then I would purely speculate that the cut direction on the right happenens to cut the cells down the middle.

Whereas the cut direction on the left side happens to run alongside the honeycomb walls, until the curvature of the cut at the most left hand of the opening, where again the pattern of individual honeycomb cells starts to re-establish itself before being covered by the white tape, plastic & blue padding, being used as edge protection.

Any other theories - please elaborate.

In the video , at the front edge of the cut out one side is clearly a reddish brown ,while the other appears to be white . No tape covering laminate .

Could be a trick of the light but if not just wondering why you would do an asymmetric laminate in the middle of a deck ?

Wow indeed.

Anyone know what the carbon material in the sails does to the radar signal and or output of usable information?

The closing speeds on other traffic must now be a increasing concern when within a few hundred miles of land.

Just fantastic to see the level of automation that has appeared because of these boats.

The video of him wakeboarding off the Diam 24 mule was great, but this is next level.

Must be focusing hard on dialling her in for the TJV - which beacuse of the Nov start in the northern hemisphere will have low daylight hours - so being able to push hard at night will open up opportunities to gain on rivals who will save really pushing it for daylight hours only.......

Strong performance from a sucessful team, who would bet against such a package? BP are behind the 8 ball as a result of of late re-launch following the stack, any news of the Gitana camp?

On 9/2/2018 at 12:55 AM, Boink said:

I notice that the highest performance cats (AC50, A-Cat, C-Class) go with L foils and not T, but still there are several catamarans with T foils (S9, Whisper). They can´t heel to windward as much as a moth, so they must rely on the verticals to provide lift to windward. So this inefficiency is happening in the outboard part of the T´s? 

Spithill somewhat reminiscent of then multi-time Nascar champion Jeff Gordon when he got to drive Juan Montoya's Formula 1 Williams. Gordon said something about finally getting to drive a real race car.  This clip is very cool and should be on the front page so the lead miners can complain about it.

NB here is the Youtube link in case you can't see it on Facebook

https://youtu.be/5n7Dc7NGm3E

very cool clip....  thanks for the no face book link....:)

Here is a video published today by Le Telegramme of François Gabart sailing his newly modified Trimaran Macif

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/route-du-rhum-gabart-vole-deja-13-09-2018-12077078.php

Un mois après sa remise à l'eau, le maxi-trimaran Macif, doté de foils plus performants, a effectué plusieurs sorties et avalé pas moins de 3.000 milles en vue de la Route du Rhum - Destination Guadeloupe. François Gabart, son skipper, se dit très satisfait des performances de son Macif, nouvelle version.

MACHINE TRANSLATION

One month after its release, the maxi-trimaran MACIF, equipped with more efficient foils, carried out several outings and swallowed no less than 3,000 miles in view of the Route du Rum-Destination Guadeloupe. François Gabart, his skipper, said he was very pleased with the performance of his MACIF, the new version.

Sorry, but you'll need to click the link to view the video

https://player.myvideoplace.tv/?v=TELEGRAMME_OFF_120918

^ Beautiful

It will be interesting to see if the three big foilers (Gitana, BP, & Macif) will have the foil surface integrity issues sorted for the length of the RdR.  Anyone hear anything about what the changes were for that on Gitana, and whether the different teams have similar philosophy for handling that issue?

Based on the fact Macif seems to have sailed 3000 miles since the re-launch, which probably four or five days of sailing, I'm betting they'll be well sorted. It's like the Imocas where the first big race for the foilers was a catastrophe and then by the time the VG rolled around the foil and hull deficiencies were essentially fixed and we were back to the regular failures of hitting things and dying keel rams.