GauchoGreg

Ultime / G-Class Development

Generation of RM through the windward foil offshore would be very cool.  Opens up a whole lot of opportunities.  Will be interesting to see Sodebo's new central foil next year.  Right now it seems they cannot fully foil from the photo's I have seen.

Righting Moment. "The torque which tends to restore a vessel heeled over to its upright position".

Not without its risks esp. offshore if for any reason you were to lose the RM through a failure or error,

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

Righting Moment. "The torque which tends to restore a vessel heeled over to its upright position".

Not without its risks esp. offshore if for any reason you were to lose the RM through a failure or error,

Derr! Ta. 

According to Laurent of VPLP, downforce from the mainfoil will produce 20% of the total righting moment and if you were careless and flew the foil out of the water while using downforce you could be in deep shit....... 

Look closely at the Macif daggerboard foil-it has breached the surface:

picture from pressmare.it

macif-trimaran 2 2018 RDR pressmare.it.jpg

On 9/23/2019 at 8:12 PM, jb5 said:

The Upwind bit has me surprised. They try their hardest to route away from upwind conditions to make the fastest time. They face some upwind in the Atlantic typically but do they optimize for that to make a difference overall?

IDEC and Spindrift are optimized for that with the shorter rig, which equates to less drag, lower forces and the resulting smaller crew requirement overall for less weight, which helps at all times but particularly upwind in lumpy sea state. The upwind portion can exceed 30% of time and begins at the horn all the way back to Brest, so yes, that point of sail is optimized for. If not the central ama daggerboard would have been dumped a long time ago.

IDEC about to start their Asian program. 

Sodebo before the next incident. 

22 minutes ago, samc99us said:

IDEC and Spindrift are optimized for that with the shorter rig, which equates to less drag, lower forces and the resulting smaller crew requirement overall for less weight, which helps at all times but particularly upwind in lumpy sea state. The upwind portion can exceed 30% of time and begins at the horn all the way back to Brest, so yes, that point of sail is optimized for. If not the central ama daggerboard would have been dumped a long time ago.

I heard they kept the smaller mast because they realised they had at least one reef in for a large majority of the race, so they carrying a lot of dead weight at the top of the mast, so they kept the smaller rig, IMO they can push a smaller rig harder as the center of pressure is much lower

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, samc99us said:

30% upwind sounds like no cigar boys just bring it home in one piece and also very high. 

The JV guys run basically the same course as the VG albeit with a difficult starting and ending point and no ice limits other than the 62 deg S thing. They are much faster and have routing. The VG designers with greater restrictions target 5-15% upwind which leads some to just ignore it. I can't think the JV guys would be in a worse situation. 

Also don't you think that the dagger board should be providing RM in reaching conditions as well as upwind so getting rid of that would be very interesting and not in a good way 

50 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

I heard they kept the smaller mast because they realised they had at least one reef in for a large majority of the race, so they carrying a lot of dead weight at the top of the mast, so they kept the smaller rig, IMO they can push a smaller rig harder as the center of pressure is much lower

Yes F Cammas started it with his shorter RDR winning mast and it went on from their to the reefing and weight thing etc. Works well. Not sure what mast Spindrift has now after they broke it a couple of years ago. Possibly the old tall one shortened. 

48 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Yes F Cammas started it with his shorter RDR winning mast and it went on from their to the reefing and weight thing etc. Works well. Not sure what mast Spindrift has now after they broke it a couple of years ago. Possibly the old tall one shortened. 

yeah they got a small one on. 

So question is - Will Spindrift line up with full football team approach that they have resolutely stuck with or go with a 5-a-side mentality as per Joyon?

This is realistically their last shot at a JV title before the new generation of Foiling Ultimes iron out their bugs and reliability issues and knock the bar too far out of Spindrifts reach.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Boink said:

So question is - Will Spindrift line up with full football team approach that they have resolutely stuck with or go with a 5-a-side mentality as per Joyon?

This is realistically their last shot at a JV title before the new generation of Foiling Ultimes iron out their bugs and reliability issues and knock the bar too far out of Spindrifts reach.

Sure I read they are doing the same again with the crew but had to go to their web site to see which was no fun.

Looks like 11 on board assuming Dona B doesn't go.  Definitely not an IDEC approach.  So they will be heavy and I fully agree with you this is likely their last chance at glory.  Fourth attempt counting the broken mast one that didn't even start.

Its amazing to me that they have had that boat for so many years now and still don't hold any of the 3 most important records (RTW, Atlantic W-E, 24hr).

32/23 has nothing scheduled for next year except maybe the Transat if they are invited.  So maybe some opportunities for them to have a go at setting new marks.

For the RTW/JV Macif might wait for their new boat in 18 months and Sodebo may not be considered ready yet so Gitana could have a great opportunity.

Better version of the Sodebo video for Brest Atlantiques quali.

Asia Tour First leg - Port Louis Brittany to Port Louis Mauritius record 26d 4h 13m.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:55 PM, Boink said:

A few years ago the Ultimes kept Spindrift out of a race or two by limiting crew to 6.  Spindrift said they couldn't sail with the full main with only 6 (too much dump/trim) so they wouldn't race.  They really need to retrofit bikes imo.

22 hours ago, eastern motors said:

A few years ago the Ultimes kept Spindrift out of a race or two by limiting crew to 6.  Spindrift said they couldn't sail with the full main with only 6 (too much dump/trim) so they wouldn't race.  They really need to retrofit bikes imo.

I wonder if Spindrift will continue to invest in that boat after this winter or just try to sell it. Even if they get the record  newer faster competition is coming very soon.

The world is definitely getting smaller (at those speeds....)

So not only are they posting 49 knots boatspeed - but also showing that you can sail the central centreboard foil clear of the water and survive - whilst others have been predicting dire consequences if such an event happened......François Gabart (@francoisgabart) • Instagram photos and videos.html

Bravo Francois & Macif

And not satisfied with that they have a new boat coming in around 18 months.

Would think they backed off a little after that moment and that it was a lucky shot.  Didn't know those drones can do ~90 kpm.

2 hours ago, jb5 said:

And not satisfied with that they have a new boat coming in around 18 months.

Would think they backed off a little after that moment and that it was a lucky shot.  Didn't know those drones can do ~90 kpm.

I think they have a special high speed drone.

1 hour ago, Raptorsailor said:

I think they have a special high speed drone.

kpm lol. would indeed to be special. meant kph of course but yes high speed anyway.  The TOR advertising itself as life at the extreme is joke compared to these guys. 

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/francois-gabart-au-depart-de-la-brest-atlantiques-macif-ultim-itw.html#.XZIpPZDYphE

Not easy to manage.

Google translation

François Gabart departing from Brest Atlantiques: "such trimarans are not easy to manage" - Ultim

On November 3, 2019, the first edition of Brest Atlantiques will start from the port of Château in Brest. For this tandem race, François Gabart and Gwénolé Gahinet will respectively skipper and co-skipper aboard MACIF. The countdown is now launched for the fastest multihulls on the planet. In just over a month, MACIF, Gitana 17, Sodebo Ultim 3 and Actual Leader will meet at the starting line of Brest Atlantiques. These giants of the seas will launch on November 3rd of Brest on a demanding course. On the ground, Jean-Yves Bernot will once again be responsible for the routing of the MACIF trimaran.

65292-gabart-francois-macif-ultime-r-curutchet.jpg

Credit: V.Curutchet

François Gabart: "Such trimarans are not easy to manage"
" We are going for a little less than a month at sea, which is not much shorter than a trip around the world by the three caps. Running in doubles will allow us to respond to reliability issues that we have experienced recently, even if such trimarans are not easy to manage, even two. Explains the skipper of the trimaran MACIF.

A sporting challenge that also lives up to the ambitions of Gwénolé Gahinet. " I am super excited. These trimarans create an important psychological barrier because they are extreme and require a lot of energy, but it is not superhuman. In any case, it is the speech of Francis, who is reasonable in his risk taking. To understand this universe requires above all experience. "

To accompany the two skippers, Jérémy Eloy, mediaman trimaran MACIF, will participate in the adventure without ever being allowed to maneuver: " François and Gwénolé are, like me, fans of skiing, we speak the same language, we understand each other. I take a lot of fun and I am especially aware of how lucky I am to be there. This project is really exciting. There are few sports where you can be with the best, follow their daily lives and share their adventure! »The opportunity to make you experience the MACIF trimaran race from the inside.

Source: Macif Offshore Racing

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/09/ultime-francis-joyon-annonce-son-programme-idec-record.html?m=1#.XZI9rhgpC7o

Google translation 

Francis Joyon announces his program at the helm of IDEC SPORT, "It's a difficult road" - Record
Francis Joyon resumes the sea! The winner of the last Route du Rhum and still holder of the Trophy Jules Verne established in 40 days and 23h, is again in search of adventures and extreme horizons ... He will start alone, at the end of October, a circuit cut to his excessive, aboard his legendary maxi-trimaran IDEC SPORT. His crew will join him for the rest of the program.

Cape to the east and the Far East for Francis, alone aboard his giant and pursuing his own record on "La Mauricienne", famous spice route linking Port Louis (in Brittany), Port Louis (island Mauritius).

Then place in "crew" format for two new records, to Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), then Shenzen in China, before defying a big-record full of history and legends, the famous "Tea Route" between Hong Kong and London.

An "Asian Tour" with a total distance of more than 28,000 miles, the equivalent of a world tour, which Francis hopes to swallow at high speed, to reach London and old Europe in March 2020.

3 Oceans alone
Almost 10 years to the day after his record in La Mauricienne, Francis Joyon will set out next month to conquer his own record set in 2009 on 10 300 theoretical miles between Port Louis in Brittany and Port Louis in Mauritius. Francis had suffered on this course 10 years ago, at the helm of IDEC 2, the plan Nigel Irens then able to sign a reference time at 16.40 knots average. " It's a difficult road, " admits Francis. " The boat is very demanding and parrying the Cape of Good Hope is never trivial. Why go there alone? "I really like the crewed navigation that I recently discovered during my Jules Verne Trophies, but I set a time of 26 days, 4 hours and 13 minutes alone and I still love the idea of to improve reference times established over a given distance. Sailing alone on board always brings me as much pleasure and satisfaction. This course is motivating. It's a tour around the world to the tip of South Africa. The rise of the Indian Ocean is less known by modern sailors. I experienced it 10 years ago, and I drooled! Fortunately, my crew will join me in Mauritius for the second part of the IDEC SPORT ASIAN TOUR. "

Francis and his men have, for the occasion, presented IDEC SPORT in "Route du Rhum" configuration, removing the bibs and replacing the famous bike coupled with the winches. " We always continue to look for simplicity of systems and lightness. The devil is in the details, and we are looking for the most resistant materials and the lightest possible especially in the current rigging. We mainly looked for reliability, considering the huge distances to cover. "

Crewed for two new records, then a mythical road
It is a crew reduced, as usual, who will join Francis and maxi trimaran IDEC SPORT in Mauritius in November. Bertrand Delesne, boat captain, will be accompanied by the coaches Corentin Joyon, Antoine Blouet, but also the faithful Christophe Houdet, of Bernard Stamm, if his Arctic sailings allow it to him. Finally Arnaud Boissières could join the crew responsible for establishing two new reference times on seas little frequented by French ocean sailing.

The mythical Tea Route
In February 2018, Giovanni Soldini improved the record established on the Tea Route, between Hong Kong and London, a record then held by Lionel Lemonchois on the maxi catamaran Gitana 13. This road back to Europe, more than 13 000 miles had been devoured more than 17 knots average by the Italian skipper and his crew, aboard a Multi 70, trimaran of 21.33 meters. " Giovanni signed a remarkable performance against the time achieved by Lionel on a cat of 33 meters. 36 days, 2 hours and 37 minutes to reach the Queen Elizabeth Bridge in London! The bar is high! Francis concludes.

The 4 Records at the IDEC SPORT ASIAN TOUR 2019-2020 Program:
ACT 1: The Mauritian woman: Port Louis (Brittany) - Port Louis (Mauritius) Record to beat: 26 days, 4 hours and 13 mn
ACT 2: Mauritius - Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam): first reference time to be established in crew
ACTE 3: Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam) - Shenzen (China): first reference time to be crewed
ACTE 4: The Tea Route: Hong Kong - London: Record to beat: 36 days, 2 hours and 37 minutes.

Source: Sea and Media

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 12:07 AM, Boink said:

So not only are they posting 49 knots boatspeed - but also showing that you can sail the central centreboard foil clear of the water and survive - whilst others have been predicting dire consequences if such an event happened......François Gabart (@francoisgabart) • Instagram photos and videos.html

Bravo Francois & Macif

Dire consequences possible IF the mainfoil is being used for downforce-if not-no problem.......

20 hours ago, jb5 said:

Google translation 

The 4 Records at the IDEC SPORT ASIAN TOUR 2019-2020 Program:
ACT 1: The Mauritian woman: Port Louis (Brittany) - Port Louis (Mauritius) Record to beat: 26 days, 4 hours and 13 mn
ACT 2: Mauritius - Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam): first reference time to be established in crew
ACTE 3: Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam) - Shenzen (China): first reference time to be crewed
ACTE 4: The Tea Route: Hong Kong - London: Record to beat: 36 days, 2 hours and 37 minutes.

No need for rubbish google translations... Joyon is not about to tackle "a Mauritian woman".  There is an English version of the website here https://www.idecsport.com/en/idec-sport-asian-tour-

/

• Like 2

Short video at 40 knots on board Gitana. 

And another with Cammas driving. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, jb5 said:
Short video at 40 knots on board Gitana. 

And another with Cammas driving. 

Complètement dingue is right - completely crazy.  For f#ck sake, it is nuts to see that from the helm.  Not really calm seas either, these 32/23 ultimes seem to have wild potential.  Thanks for posting.

11 hours ago, tama_manu said:

Complètement dingue is right - completely crazy.  For f#ck sake, it is nuts to see that from the helm.  Not really calm seas either, these 32/23 ultimes seem to have wild potential.  Thanks for posting.

They have these crazy helm positions where you are sticking you head and shoulders through a hole in the roof.  It just looks like a really easy way to get hurt.  Sodebo looks even worse being so far forward. Doubt there will be much time on the helm.  Seb or Verdier said of Gitana a while back that they spend most of the time at the grinder trimming and charging the hydraulics of which Gitana has a lot.

• Like 1

Somewhere in the Bay of Biscay.

Great video.  Surprised they can go forward with apparent ease when the boat is foiling.  Suggests a relatively low foiling speed so the AWS isn't too high.  This is also one of the heavier new generation boats as I recall.  Anything for a good video.

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

Great video.  Surprised they can go forward with apparent ease when the boat is foiling.  Suggests a relatively low foiling speed so the AWS isn't too high.  This is also one of the heavier new generation boats as I recall.  Anything for a good video.

Or a pair of big brass ones.....

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/ultimes-duel-de-titans-au-large-05-10-2019-12400379.php

There is a pretty good video on the link above.  Wont embed for whatever reason.

Article below.

After a painful Road of Rum, the Ultimate healed their wounds. Here they are back on the water, looking for reliability and optimization. This includes muscular training sessions off the coast of Brittany. Highly committed speed tests at 35-40 knots between the "Maxi Edmond de Rothschild" and "Macif". Between the "little Mozart of the sail", alias Franck Cammas, seconded by Charles Caudrelier, and the "little Prince of the oceans", François Gabart, assisted by Gwénolé Gahinet.
Lorient La Base Tuesday 1 st  October in the morning. The atmosphere is very relaxed within Team Gitana. No apparent stress. Last winter, it swarmed around the wounded giant, deprived of the front part of his starboard float. A break occurred at the beginning of the Route du Rhum. The float has been repaired. "We added layers, admits Cyril Dardashti, general manager of the team. There are reinforcements on both floats and the central hull ". After four months of construction in Lorient, Macif has also been reinforced, especially at the front arms. Belt and suspenders for everyone.

Wind, sea ...
Sailing is a mechanical sport that sometimes needs breaking to progress. The Ultimate, fabulous machines to swallow miles, have learned to their cost on the Rum, where the Atlantic Ocean has called to order: Armel Le Cléac'h lost his Banque Populaire (note: a new ultimate is under construction, the launch scheduled for January 2021), Thomas Coville had cracked the linker his Sodebo and François Gabart, 2 e behind Francis Joyon, had broken a rudder and a foil. Since then, Gabart and his team have made faulty systems more reliable and optimized the platform.

This Tuesday, a joint training was programmed with the three Ultimate flying: except that the new Sodebo of Thomas Coville is absent, forced to return by the box construction site after having broken its drift. Regardless, the two new Gitana Team riders, Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier, decided to go out and compete with the "Macif boys", François Gabart and Gwénolé Gahinet.

Of course, the four sailors chose a good windy weather: from west-southwest 20-25 knots gusting to 30 knots, a swell of 2.5 to 3 meters. Appointment was given at 11 o'clock off the Glénan.

- "Hi Francis, it's Charles: we start with an edge of almost an hour if you want. We are mainsail to a ris + J3; and you ? "

- "OK Charles, we're leaving with the J2 in front, we'll see."

The first who shocks ...
At the helm, Franck Cammas, the first to have dared the Ultimate solo on the Route du Rhum (and to win in 2010), gives his first indications: "The GV cart in position 1, less rake, a a little more bordered in front. Charles Caudrelier plays the luxury team with David Boileau, boat-captain, and Cyril Gonzales, electronic referent. At three, they do not sleep on the coffee grinders. On this monster 32 meters long and 22 meters wide, the slightest maneuver requires muscle and sweat. And a good dose of patience.

It goes strong, at nearly 30 knots upwind. At this pace, normally, it does not fly except with this sea, the trimaran takes off regularly. And the "anti-capsize" alarms start screaming. Fragile eardrums refrain. Highly focused at the helm, Cammas regularly takes a look at Macif. Training or not, no question of letting go any length. Cammas has the reputation of being a ringworm at sea, he wants and always asks for more. Like, opposite, Gabart is not one to shock either ...

The two Ultimate begin, heading west, slalom between some fishing boats. Two worlds intersect without really looking at each other.

After more than an hour facing the wind, the VHF crackles:

- "We will turn and do a little port," suggests the sailor of the year 2018.

- "Ok, we have just a little problem, we will have to lower the mainsail. We call you when we are ready.

Cammas did not leave the bar, he just swallowed half a sandwich. In two bites.

- "How are we with the line wing, guys?" How much load did you put in the guys? »Tireless!

Peak at 42dogballs knots
The mainsheet problem is settled on board Macif but, already, Cammas returns to attack mode, passes near Macif and launches the blue maxi-trimaran to more than 35 knots in three meters of swell. The close combat between the two giants will not last long. Hardly time to shoot an image.

- "Franck, calm the game a bit, Macif is not launched yet," cries Caudrelier.

Cammas slows the boat down for a few moments before pushing the throttle fully.

"At the bar, you better be focused," he says, legs apart, both hands firmly clinging to the bar. The speedometer displays 34-36 knots with peaks of 40-41 knots. 42dogballs knots! All in a sense of security and total control. Impressive. In his back quarter, Macif, too, lights hard, it smokes everywhere. Are a little crazy these sailors!

Brest, twice
The last time the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild and Macif found themselves aboard, it was last August, during the Rolex Fastnet, crew race won in the last meters by the team with five arrows. That was before Team Gitana set up a 32 m² rear arm fairing. This fairing, made in Oratex, interlining found on the wings of gliders or ultralights, must reduce drag and create lift. Expected gain: more than one knot. Performance, always performance.

The bearing edge of 50 miles is swallowed full ball. Just the time to swallow a chocolate cookie. End of the afternoon, everyone returns to his base, Macif in Port-la-Forêt, Gitana 17 in Lorient. "One often trains alone, the confrontations of Ultimes are rare, notes Caudrelier. François Gabart, it's a reference, it's one of the only ones to fly, like us. So this confrontation is very rich, we are in the exchange even if we do not say everything ... "

Next meeting scheduled for November 3, in the race and doubles this time (editor's note: with a media crew), Brest Atlantiques, via Rio de Janeiro, Cape Town and return to Brest. But above all, the big event is The Transat, still from Brest, May 10, 2020. The 15 th edition, 3.500 miles long, will be held between Brest and Charlestone (United States). This time, Cammas and Gabart will be alone on board.

© Le Télégramme https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/ultimes-duel-de-titans-au-large-05-10-2019-12400379.php#gLmGWaSB8EeFF5AW.99

• Like 1

The video about the fairing with EN subtiles:

Interesting stuff they used. Oratex6000 is certified for planes up to 6000kg gross weight. ~170 µm tick and weights ~150g per m^2. Cost ~66€ per m^2 incl VAT, likely less when buying full rolls.
So the vast majority of the 50kg added weight went into structure and not fabric.

Sodebo repaired and back in the water tomorrow 

So how did the replace/repair the center dagger board so quickly.  A spare maybe?

Further photo. Looks like the central dagger board is not installed yet. 

12 hours ago, jb5 said:

So how did the replace/repair the center dagger board so quickly.  A spare maybe?

I remember thinking how amazingly long the estimated time was to build new foils for the 50´s pre AC. 
it was something in excess of 3 months. I know they are super special but they have the best in the world on it and so that seemed very long to me.

The boards don’t have many bits to them, do they? 

Are they solid?  

How are they made? 
2female moulds? 
then glued together? 
What are the dimensions, weights etc. 

They must look amazing. Can I have one as a piece of art? 
Do they build them to be rigid or a bit flexy. 
Imagine the loads!!

i think at one point the wonderful semifoiling ormas 60’s tried making cored C-boards and ended up with solid being the only thing that wouldn’t break.  High high tech carbon, beautiful, but solid and so they weigh a shitload. 

Do we know how the Ultimes are controlling/maintaining « flight »??on their foils. 

and for that matter the GP50’s? 

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/ultim/brest-atlantiques-sodebo-3-pare-pour-les-mers-du-sud-375b55c0-edce-11e9-94a0-f5a3389571c2

Interview with Yves Mignard, head of the research department of Team Sodebo. It's in French. 

They had to replace 2/3 of the central dagger board due to the damage. So rebuild. Pretty quick. But the board is not visible in the photos taken since the relaunch last week so maybe still in progress. 

They also speak about the lack of a central lifting foil on the boat and apparently it was due to the previously planned 32/23 RTW race where I assume they felt the dagger board a safer option. It may cost them some performance but all ready for the Brest Atlantiques now. 

Possible start this weekend? 

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/francis-joyon-declenche-le-code-vert-record-la-mauricienne-idecsport.html#.XampWz7Yo3E

IDEC Sport now code green to start Saturday.

Tracker:

http://trimaran-idec.geovoile.com/lamauricienne/2019/tracker/

Christian Dumard, Francis Joyon's land-based router, explains the expected conditions for the start of the record: " Francis should leave in a westerly wind of 10-12 knots and therefore go upwind for a few hours. There will then be a transition with fairly light wind during the wind rotation. From Sunday morning, Francis will enjoy a strong north wind (20-25 knots). The output of the Bay of Biscay will be in manageable conditions. The trade winds should be sustained as far as the Canary Islands and then soften when approaching Cape Verde. Aside from the very early hours, the record start will be fully downwind. "

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft.com/tip-shaft-182-thomas-coville-brest-atlantiques-arrive-pile-au-bon-moment-transat-jacques-vabre-qui-va-gagner-en-class40multi50?e=9a497c6fa7

Interview with Thomas Coville (Sodebo).  In French.

Summary:

Thomas is very happy with the boat after sailing ~100 days.  The motion is rough but he expects that to improve with the forthcoming central hull foil.  Overall he see the boat at about 70% currently of potential. He also speaks about the current lack of a central foil and repeats what I posted in #750 above. The lack of this foil he estimates at a 10-15% performance hit.

In terms of the very far forward cockpit location he says that the motion at the helm is minimal as they are near the center of gravity.  He doesn't mention the view of the sails etc.

The ama foils are working well and give lift fro,m 20-21 knots.  No plans for V2 foils as yet.

No structural issues to date.  The major issue encountered being the broken center dagger board in Sept.  The damage was limited to the board due to  screencers (?) being placed behind each foil to help absorb any impacts

Of the competition he rates Gitana the best boat, flying almost constantly with huge power.  For Macif, the lightest boat of the current generation, he is also impressed by the way it has been developed and made reliable so quickly, but see's it as a step behind Gitana.  He see's Sodebo has a lot of potential but is currently behind.  He also thinks that the reduced crew on the Brest Atlantiques will be a leveler to some extent.  The complex boats may be a limitation in some circumstances and the simpler boats (Actual) may do well like F. Joyon in the RDR.

The lessons of the RDR mean the 32/23 group are working more interdependently.

2020 development plans include the new central foil, and center rudder planes, and float rudders are also likely to evolve.  No details.

• Like 4

On 10/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, jb5 said:

Low key as ever.  Photos just before his departure for Mauritius. He is now underway http://trimaran-idec.geovoile.com/lamauricienne/2019/tracker/

Indeed, maybe we should have a dedicated thread to his Asian tour ?

And btw, one can wonder why spindrift didn't take the window taken by Joyon, they are meant to be on stand by since October 1st.

53 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Indeed, maybe we should have a dedicated thread to his Asian tour ?

And btw, one can wonder why spindrift didn't take the window taken by Joyon, they are meant to be on stand by since October 1st.

Was also thinking about spindrift. Haven't heard anything about them for a while. This window looks pretty good. My view is that they spend too much time pondering and not enough time doing. 

Separate thread? Not sure. There are so many. Brest Atlantiques should have one but not sure about the Asian tour. 

18 hours ago, jb5 said:

Was also thinking about spindrift. Haven't heard anything about them for a while. This window looks pretty good. My view is that they spend too much time pondering and not enough time doing. 

Separate thread? Not sure. There are so many. Brest Atlantiques should have one but not sure about the Asian tour. 

The last post by Spindrift on both their Facebook and Twitter accounts was in September.

IDEC Sport over 180nm ahead of the reference of IDEC 10 ten ago.  Faster boat of course.  Inside Cape Verdi looks very good. Nice window still.

27 minutes ago, jb5 said:

IDEC Sport over 180nm ahead of the reference of IDEC 10 ten ago.  Faster boat of course.  Inside Cape Verdi looks very good. Nice window still.

The last leg of his tour, the "tea route" (hk to London), should be quite interesting, crewed and recent record by Soldini on Maserati. 

Should be easy enough to beat Maserati. They reverted back to C boards to reduce impact of trash on the route.

50 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Should be easy enough to beat Maserati. They reverted back to C boards to reduce impact of trash on the route.

On the 'Tea route" (HK-LDN)? Yes.  Francis is racing himself on the current leg.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/record-francis-joyon-heureux-et-satisfait-la-mauricienne-idec-sport.html#.Xa3k2j7Yo3E

idecsport_record.jpg

Francis Joyon "happy and satisfied" with his first 48 hours on La Mauricienne, 184 miles ahead on the clock
Credit: M Coudriet / Alea / IDEC SPORT
The equivalent of 3 "Route du Rhum"
" I do not push my settings as much as during the rhum, " explains Francis. " I'm going for a long race, representing the equivalent of three Routes du Rhum. I have to watch over the boat. This record start goes well despite these passages in areas that forced me to vigilance between bursts and areas of "soft". I am for example right now under a big black cloud advancing at low speed. I progress in zigzag to escape from his influence ... "

The ASIAN TOUR, a beautiful and long slice of adventure
IDEC SPORT gybed mid-morning to head south now to port. Francis Joyon will pass by the archipelago of Madeira to the west at the end of the afternoon. The passage to the Canaries is still the subject of many discussions between the sailor and his adviser on land Christian Dumard. Areas of high pressure also tend to migrate south and the large trimaran must at all costs prevent them from catching it. "We are, with this ASIAN TOUR, gone for a beautiful and long slice of adventure. I impose myself a clever mix of quest for performance and moderation, for the boat as for myself. I did not sleep at all the first night, as usual on this kind of trip. Last night, I gave myself a few breaks, but the weather variations have been very demanding. "

Yes, the return trip. IDEC has to beat 36 days, 2 hours and 37 minutes.
Soldini even had to suffer some slow weather sections during his record run.

Joyon's progress and reports can be seen in English on the official website. No need to post google translations...

https://www.idecsport.com/en/

72 hours out its looking complex unless he gets west right after Cape Verdi 

17 hours ago, Kernow said:

Joyon's progress and reports can be seen in English on the official website. No need to post google translations...

https://www.idecsport.com/en/

Let try this again.

Still no news from Spindrift racing. I'm starting to think they are a lost cause. 

Will we see Spindrift for sale on Bernard Gallay in the near future?

35 minutes ago, QBF said:

Still no news from Spindrift racing. I'm starting to think they are a lost cause. 

You can try to ask them a question through messenger on their FB page, usually they reply, like "did you hesitate to take FJ window?" or something like that

53 minutes ago, QBF said:

There was a short, almost content free, post yesterday that seemed to indicate that they were still out training without giving away any real information.  I tried to find it again just now and couldn't.  Not even sure they are on standby.

31 minutes ago, yl75 said:

You can try to ask them a question through messenger on their FB page, usually they reply, like "did you hesitate to take FJ window?" or something like that

Thanks, but I've never joined Facebook nor do I have any intentions of doing so, and you need to join Facebook in order so send a message.

FJ going well. +399nm

Has to get west quickly now that he's gybed south of Cape Verdi. Big hole coming up in the next day or so. 

13 hours ago, jb5 said:

There was a short, almost content free, post yesterday that seemed to indicate that they were still out training without giving away any real information.  I tried to find it again just now and couldn't.  Not even sure they are on standby.

https://www.ultimboat.com/ultime-news-11-cezo

https://www.facebook.com/UltimBoat/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARBmelwK80_EP00Wuh_LZPyBYcwW0gRuQNP4HG4o6wjJrJ_ri_lgh-y8cDNSELjAuNazf2x3UgLqQ150&hc_ref=ARTUBwZqroEgRVtSXGKxCHFcnfY5wj3aUtDeb5C2ccXV33K55bAjZfDpWgNbPVIqAH0&fref=nf&hc_location=group

10 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Not a fan of facebook.  If they cannot Tweet or IG (yes I know FB owns it but its not totally messed up yet) then forget it.

Think these guys will wait and wait for the perfect window and leave it too late.

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Record time to the equator.

And spindrift did not even attempt to have a go.... 

13 hours ago, jb5 said:

And spindrift did not even attempt to have a go....  

This is a "mauritienne" record time at the equator (7 days 2hours). The Jules verne record time at the equator is 4 days 20 hours.

Joyon's record on the "mauritienne" on his old boat in 2009 is much easier to beat for Joyon right now than the JV is for Guichard and Spindrift, which explain who Joyon might have taken a average but good enough window (he has a much faster boat than he did 10 years ago) when Guichard is waiting for the best possible window.

2 hours ago, serialsailor said:

This is a "mauritienne" record time at the equator (7 days 2hours). The Jules verne record time at the equator is 4 days 20 hours.

Joyon's record on the "mauritienne" on his old boat in 2009 is much easier to beat for Joyon right now than the JV is for Guichard and Spindrift, which explain who Joyon might have taken a average but good enough window (he has a much faster boat than he did 10 years ago) when Guichard is waiting for the best possible window.

Well aware of all this.

Spindrift spend a lot of time waiting for perfection but have achieved very little.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 12:07 PM, Boink said:

Bravo Francois & Macif

Interesting that Beau Geste - MOD 70 was clocked at 45knots boat speed during this weekends record setting of the NZ Coatal classic.

That's trucking for for a non foiler..... I know its relatively flat water, but being an offshore breeze its gusty and brutal too for such a flighty beast.

Hats Off to the team. Bravo Beau Geste.

• Like 1

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/10/spindrift-trimaran-record-trophee-jules-verne-casse-safran-stand-by-2019-yann-guichard-tour-monde.html#.Xbgr4JrYo3E

Spindrift rudder technical issue, again.

During an offshore training course off Brittany last week, the crew of the maxi trimaran Spindrift 2 detected a technical problem with the rudders. The team must temporarily suspend their stand-by for their Jules Verne Trophy attempt to resolve this setback as soon as possible.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 6:55 AM, Boink said:

Interesting that Beau Geste - MOD 70 was clocked at 45knots boat speed during this weekends record setting of the NZ Coatal classic.

That's trucking for for a non foiler..... I know its relatively flat water, but being an offshore breeze its gusty and brutal too for such a flighty beast.

Hats Off to the team. Bravo Beau Geste.

Spindrift when still named BP V clocked 47kts and happily stayed at ~45 for long periods IIRC Well done to Beau Geste

11 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

Spindrift when still named BP V clocked 47kts and happily stayed at ~45 for long periods IIRC Well done to Beau Geste

I think you are missing my point.

I am fully aware of many non foikers doing these sorts of speeds. But they were set in steady winds on long ocean swells. 

Orange 2 was clocked at 47 knots with Nice Maloney on the Handlebars, but Peyron freaked &  set a speed limit after that of 42 or 44 knots, because it was so sketchy. Orange was what 115 or 120 ft. Spindrift is 135? It's a limousine of a ride by comparison.

These are worlds away from a flighty 70 doing the same speed in unstable puffy off the shore winds. Be Sure that this would have had an off the chart pucker value.

Just saying......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Beautiful conditions for Francis and the low launched as expected. 

Yes, he is going to catch that train...

The question is how long can he stay in front of that... front; in perfect conditions. 2 days? More???