• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
By the lee

What kind of rum?

One of my spies in the field is in Barbados and has given me until tomorrow am to text what kind of rum I want brought back as a gift.

So there's several kinds of Mt.Gay apparently and something else called....Cockspur?

What do you recommend? Any of these I absolutely can't get in the Great White North?

I'm pounding a vodka drink right now to make typing this more interesting and waiting with bated breath, eh?

big-black-dick.jpg?w=269&h=750

You can get Mt Gay anytime, anywhere. Try something different. I'm a big Plantation Rum fan. Used to get a 1.75L

for $19.99. Now it's more expensive then Mt Gay Eclipse.

Kaniche bills itself as an artisanal rum. I remember reading sometime ago that there is a Plantation Rum and Ferrand Cognac connection. Give it a whirl.

post-7267-0-23033800-1455126552_thumb.jpg

You have not drunk rum until you've drunk Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15...

...the rest is just lolly water!

Mound gay - average

Appleton's - OK

Matusalem - OMG!

The worst without a doubt is Bunderberg! I've tasted better vomit!

I would definitely get something that is not available off-island. The bartender at a good bar might be able to advise.

And now for something completely different:

Local (to me, anyway) rum:

www.malahatspirits.com

Their spiced rum is like Christmas in a cup!

One of my spies in the field is in Barbados and has given me until tomorrow am to text what kind of rum I want brought back as a gift.

So there's several kinds of Mt.Gay apparently and something else called....Cockspur?

What do you recommend? Any of these I absolutely can't get in the Great White North?

I'm pounding a vodka drink right now to make typing this more interesting and waiting with bated breath, eh?

Do not waste your money on Cockspur!!!

Mound gay - average

Appleton's - OK

Matusalem - OMG!

Thanks, got a feeling you just upped my rum bill. :)

And yes, Bunderberg is just a fuck up from a chemical/sewage plant overspill. Evil

gd23.jpg

When you drick thisse, Nobodey telle the talle..... :)

461.jpg?

A friend gave me a bottle of that 2 years ago, thanks for that reminder snags.

I knew there was a reason why I'd forgotten a few things at times

my name, the first time I tried it.

😆😆

big-black-dick.jpg?w=269&h=750

once you go black........

somewhere I have some nasty video of our crew downing a bottle of big black dick at a regatta

Since all those Caribbean islands are so much the same, why not see if you can find some Gosling's Black Seal? What I liked was trying to get rid of all my Barbadian coinage at the airport, and finding out that the rum was two Barbadian dollars a liter, not USD.

Cockspur is shit. It's what you drink in a dive. Even in Bim.

Never heard of Kaniche but the "bottled in France" seems slightly suspicious even though the white label says "distilled in Barbados". The multinational alcohol business is super-shady.

For all you suggesting some rum from another island, that's sacrilege, you drink rum from the island you're in, even if that's Cruzan :lol: .

I dunno about the Most Interesting Man in the World, but when I'm in Barbados I drink Mount Gay.

I've not found anything much better than Goslings Black Seal. That it's available in my local liquor store and that rum is still way cheaper than whisky, is a good thing. Just because you can buy German beer, doesn't mean the German beer is better than what your local craft brewer makes. (Dales Pale Ale FTW!) I'm not into being different just to be different.

Got turned onto Goslings drinking Dark and Stormys (Goslings + Goslings ginger beer) at a regatta, and sometimes now I just drink Dark and Darks. That's Goslings on ice, maybe with a little lime squeezed into it. Had a lot of rum in mixed drinks before, always thought it was a shit mixer alcohol, like most vodkas. Never knew rum could be so damn good. I try to be careful with it and not hit the bottle out of reflex, like a proper martini, the Goslings is a little too good and I could easily get to liking that stuff just a little bit too much. I blame sailboat racing.

I've not found anything much better than Goslings Black Seal. That it's available in my local liquor store and that rum is still way cheaper than whisky, is a good thing. Just because you can buy German beer, doesn't mean the German beer is better than what your local craft brewer makes. (Dales Pale Ale FTW!) I'm not into being different just to be different.

Got turned onto Goslings drinking Dark and Stormys (Goslings + Goslings ginger beer) at a regatta, and sometimes now I just drink Dark and Darks. That's Goslings on ice, maybe with a little lime squeezed into it. Had a lot of rum in mixed drinks before, always thought it was a shit mixer alcohol, like most vodkas. Never knew rum could be so damn good. I try to be careful with it and not hit the bottle out of reflex, like a proper martini, the Goslings is a little too good and I could easily get to liking that stuff just a little bit too much. I blame sailboat racing.

Try Zaya. A little pricier than Gosling's but it's worth it. Bay Ridge and Eastport Liquors carry it.

For all you suggesting some rum from another island, that's sacrilege, you drink rum from the island you're in, even if that's Cruzan :lol: .

I dunno about the Most Interesting Man in the World, but when I'm in Barbados I drink Mount Gay.

Thanks for noticing. When you get to Bermuda do you go for Goslings or Bacardi?

Thanks I thought I was the only one hooked on Black Seal. Goes down to smooth, so I too must ration my intake.

Boat name, is Rum Line for a reason.

Got turned onto Goslings drinking Dark and Stormys (Goslings + Barrett's ginger beer) at a regatta, and sometimes now I just drink Dark and Darks. That's Goslings on ice, maybe with a little lime squeezed into it. Had a lot of rum in mixed drinks before, always thought it was a shit mixer alcohol, like most vodkas. Never knew rum could be so damn good. I try to be careful with it and not hit the bottle out of reflex, like a proper martini, the Goslings is a little too good and I could easily get to liking that stuff just a little bit too much. I blame sailboat racing.

Fixed

Mound gay - average

Appleton's - OK

Matusalem - OMG!

Add Ron Zacapa to that list and your on the money.

If you want a real treat get a bottle of the XO. Not cheap but fucking awesome!!

Mound gay - average

Appleton's - OK

Matusalem - OMG!

Add Ron Zacapa to that list and your on the money.

If you want a real treat get a bottle of the XO. Not cheap but fucking awesome!!

I tried the xo back to back with the ron zacapa 23 solera. I preferred the 23, found the xo a bit too oaky. Both are pretty amazing rums, but the xo is not better, just different (IMO).

And yes, Bunderberg is just a fuck up from a chemical/sewage plant overspill. Evil

I think a night on the Bundy's should be required for anyone visiting Queensland. It will really help explain why the locals are the way they are

tell him to check into st nicholas abbey rum and see if it lives up to the hype.

http://www.stnicholasabbey.com/Rum/

if it's good, tell him to bring a few bottles.

The 12yo is fantastic. Was there last year and got a bottle. Completely blew away just about everything else I've tried.

I've been trying to find something to match it at a cheaper price point and keep failing miserably. Looks like we'll have to go back to bbdos next year and take the empty bottle with us...

Whatever handle is on sale. Add coke and a lime and after the third or fourth one, who cares?

Got turned onto Goslings drinking Dark and Stormys (Goslings + Barrett's ginger beer) at a regatta, and sometimes now I just drink Dark and Darks. That's Goslings on ice, maybe with a little lime squeezed into it. Had a lot of rum in mixed drinks before, always thought it was a shit mixer alcohol, like most vodkas. Never knew rum could be so damn good. I try to be careful with it and not hit the bottle out of reflex, like a proper martini, the Goslings is a little too good and I could easily get to liking that stuff just a little bit too much. I blame sailboat racing.

Fixed

+1

The French make the best rums (rhums) by far. They even have an AOC, so at least you know what your getting.

Lots of rums have shady practices - like Zacapa, who add sugar after distillation.

Now that the US is talking to Cuba again try Ron Statiago de Cuba Rum.

The best rum I have had. Better than Havana Club.

Got turned onto Goslings drinking Dark and Stormys (Goslings + Barritt's ginger beer) at a regatta, and sometimes now I just drink Dark and Darks. That's Goslings on ice, maybe with a little lime squeezed into it. Had a lot of rum in mixed drinks before, always thought it was a shit mixer alcohol, like most vodkas. Never knew rum could be so damn good. I try to be careful with it and not hit the bottle out of reflex, like a proper martini, the Goslings is a little too good and I could easily get to liking that stuff just a little bit too much. I blame sailboat racing.

Fixed

Fixed again

post-24042-0-45519200-1456379249_thumb.jpg

FLOR- De Cana - 12 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 Have done extensive tests and concur.

and remember

RUMs are like a woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stop anyone from pursuing one.

FLOR- De Cana - 12 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 Have done extensive tests and concur.

and remember

RUMs are like a woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stop anyone from pursuing one.

Its delicious and for the price of $38 or so its pretty fucking amazing.

It's all about the aging. I haven't been to all the islands but in general whenever I found something that I couldn't have bought on the mainland it was aged about a week and you could run your outboard on it. If the bottle says 'aged' but doesn't say how long, that means they might have left it in the barrel for a year? Anything over 5 will start to be decent and over 12 will be generally good regardless of the name on the label.