Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveK

Where's the EC300 thread????

Saturday morning, actually. Participants arrive at beach tomorrow to set up their craft and check in. Weather is looking nice for the first several days.

I'll be hanging around Stump Pass and ck pt 1 in an outboard sat afternoon.

Weather is looking nice. Moderate temps. Light easterlies, probably an afternoon sea breeze...very similar to 2014. Looks like the leaders will hit a moderate easterly down in Florida Bay, and probably have to take the long way around. Probably not a record-breaking year. A front may catch up with the tail end of fleet, also as in '14.

Looking forward to your EC RACE posts and pics

Looking to be on the beach Sat. am with video camera in-hand, we'll see what I can get.

I just spoke with the office at Ft. Desoto park. The lady said the gate will be open early before 7:00 am but she did not know how early. I plan to be down there around 6-ish.

Anxiously anticipating all of the details here in Poland. the good, the bad and the ugly! You know, just what you expect from the EC.

Go the Spawn!

Go Zero! Representing for Lake Champlain Yacht Club and my Viper 640 crew!

I'm taking my Adventure Island to Anna Maria Sound and Passage Key Inlet, launching around 7 from the ramp by the Hwy 64 bridge. I hope to catch the sailors who are heading into the Gulf then the ICW crowd.

I expect to get pretty wet and will be using a waterproof camera most of the time. If I'm in a protected area I might use the phone cam to put pics on the FB Watertribe page.

I was down there this aft. Ran into SailBlueH2O. Saw Mister Moons boat but he and Zero The Hero weren't around. Boat looked ready to go. I'll text Steam a few pics to post.

I was down there this aft. Ran into SailBlueH2O. Saw Mister Moons boat but he and Zero The Hero weren't around. Boat looked ready to go. I'll text Steam a few pics to post.

Hey Doug, if you could post this please in the EC300 thread.

Jahn Tihansky (From J-World Annapolis and Naval Academy offshore coach), Charley Morgan, OH Rodgers.

post-30927-0-88050800-1457186361_thumb.jpg

Charley stopped by to bless Spawn. I've got some more pics I'll send later.

Posted for RK

Thanks!

FB- Doug

Sew-sew (Randy Smythe) well out in front. Spawn's Spot hasn't updated in an hour, I'm guessing they're in the main pack of multihulls. Wind seems 8-10 easterly. Should be flat water and fast ride...I suspect wind will die before noon, couple hour wait for sea-breeze. Headed out the door shortly to hop on a powerboat to Stump Pass near cl pt 1.

SewSew is hauling ass. Hes way ahead. Spawn finally updated, they're side by side for 2nd with a Hobie 16 with kite. Tornado (SwampMonkee) isn't showing up, they're in there somewhere. Mister Moon and Zero the Hero about 12th, in main pack of sailboats. Kayakers making good time down the ICW.

I can't even get re connected to the tracker.

The lead boat, the Sea Pearl 21, has another one listed in the race, some competition.

Zero and Moon's Core Sound 17 has a match race with one other.

Angus Designs has 2 entries, interesting to watch as Mr Angus is in the R2AK 2016.

Only one Weta as a challenger.

Two Beers, Tampa Bay 22, still leading, followed by a couple cats, and a pack that includes a 1945 vintage Thistle.

Also note how fast the paddlers are on the inside, almost neck and neck with the 1st pack of boats.

post-105471-0-63547800-1457195024_thumb.jpg

Sew Sew is way out in front, two beers second...... SS's icon is very dark-hard to see but shes way ahead......just below South Venice.

I can't even get re connected to the tracker.

The lead boat,[sorry two beers], has another one listed in the race, some competition.

Zero and Moon's Core Sound 17 has a match race with one other.

Angus Designs has 2 entries, interesting to watch as Mr Angus is in the R2AK 2016.

Only one Weta as a challenger.

My mistake. I don't see Sew Sew on the tracker, I tried a separate search for her.

Weta is third, go Gadget Girl

edit- there she is, Sew Sew is a grey icon close in shore, thanks for that, [Weta fourth :o ]

SeeSew is picking his way through the swash channel at Stump Pass now. Swamp Monkee is about 8 miles asern. Wind is light.

Wind back up to 8, backed to NW. Swamp Monkey (tornado) in sight about 1.5 miles from Stump Pass. SeeSew checked in at CP1 about 15 min ago. Spawn not in sight yet, I think they're about 8 miles behind Swamp Monkey.

Fast off the beach. Gybed to late coming out TB. sailed lots of extra distance. Lite for a couple of hours. Now 10-11 out of NW. Heading for Stump, probably ariive after sundown. Zero is better at surfing than me.

...just looked at the tracker,,I'm confusled :wacko: ....

....the race started this morning,, how come 2 beers shows 25hrs elapsed!?

twobeers_MorsailesedWP21, OK Button, 9 kn

Position: 26.909940 -82.400880
Date/Time: 3/5/2016 1:59 PM

Nm From Last Tracking Point: 0.09
Hours From Last Tracking Point: 0.01
Knots From Last Tracking Point: 9

Nm From Last Msg: 18.15
Hours From Last Msg: 2.18
Knots From Last Msg: 8.33

Nm This Leg: 55.98
Hours This Leg: 25.93
Knots This Leg: 2.16

Total Distance: 55.98 Nm
Elapsed Time: 25.93 Hours

...and others are showing 139hrs elapsed .....

Coastie_ClamCounterWP49, Tracking Point - 7.56 kn

Position: 27.106070 -82.510740
Date/Time: 3/5/2016 1:56 PM

Nm From Last Tracking Point: 1.21
Hours From Last Tracking Point: 0.16
Knots From Last Tracking Point: 7.56

Nm From Last Msg: 11.98
Hours From Last Msg: 2.14
Knots From Last Msg: 5.60

Nm This Leg: 59.41
Hours This Leg: 139.18
Knots This Leg: 0.43

Total Distance: 59.41 Nm
Elapsed Time: 139.18 Hours
Average Speed: 0.43 Knots

I think the tracker data might include data from when the tracker was tested. Hence Randy's shows hundreds of miles, as he tested it at home in Ft Walton Beach yesterday.

Also, its clear that some trackers report location automatically every .17 hours (10 minutes), and others must need some sort of button push, as the Tornado only has two reports, so it looks like they are still at Venice, with several hours between reports.

SewSew is ripping now, at 15 knots, after getting out of the intercoastal.

Randy seems to be to be to fast to get caught on camera. Any clip of his Scissors sailing?

^Thanks, wasn't even aware of this race until I listened to the JC podcast. Quite advanced design.

Holy Sew Sew batman! He's almost abreast of Naples... Practically 1/2 the "distance" if the race, a bit more like 1/3d of the time/challenge. Cruising at 12kts, offshore several miles. Choko and then rest? Or plow on thru. Knowing Randy, he'll take the harder option. Beastmode.

Spawn looks awesome.

Go MisterMoon! Have fun guys.

Quick stop at cp1. Changed int worm clothes, filled water took a dump. Going down Pine island sound tonight. SCA in gulf. Just ate and settling into nighttime routine. Got passed by Roo and some guy in a Red Sea Pearl past Venice but we cut corner at stump pass in epic surf and beat them all in.

There is the post New EC monster boat

the story Spawned hear about this years challenge so became a sort of leadup thread

sew sew 135920-SmythLaunch02.jpg

I think the tracker data might include data from when the tracker was tested. Hence Randy's shows hundreds of miles, as he tested it at home in Ft Walton Beach yesterday.

Also, its clear that some trackers report location automatically every .17 hours (10 minutes), and others must need some sort of button push, as the Tornado only has two reports, so it looks like they are still at Venice, with several hours between reports.

SewSew is ripping now, at 15 knots, after getting out of the intercoastal.

Randy seems to be to be to fast to get caught on camera. Any clip of his Scissors sailing?
I texted Steam a Flyer pictures to post of Scissors and Spawn under sail. Pretty light when Scissors went by...about 6-8. Spawn was about 2 hours later, wind picked up to 10-12. We were running about 15 knots in a powerboat, and they'd accellerate rapidly away from us in the puffs. Pics are just outside Stump Pass, entering Pass, and inside sailing to CP1.

There is the post New EC monster boat

the story Spawned hear about this years challenge so became a sort of leadup thread

sew sew 135920-SmythLaunch02.jpg

boat is much changed now. Different Amas, and relocated at the ends of the crossbeams.

I texted Steam a Flyer pictures to post of Scissors and Spawn under sail. Pretty light when Scissors went by...about 6-8. Spawn was about 2 hours later, wind picked up to 10-12. We were running about 15 knots in a powerboat, and they'd accellerate rapidly away from us in the puffs. Pics are just outside Stump Pass, entering Pass, and inside sailing to CP1.

Just got the pics

Randy S in Sew-Sew

post-30927-0-28971100-1457233584_thumb.jpg

post-30927-0-46988600-1457233602_thumb.jpg

post-30927-0-68375400-1457233614_thumb.jpg

And now in 2nd place, Spawn

post-30927-0-83256100-1457233657_thumb.jpg

post-30927-0-11340200-1457233698_thumb.jpg

post-30927-0-76611100-1457233717_thumb.jpg

FB- Doug

Manitou has finished 12 Challenges not a lot of freeboard in gator land

manitou ManitouCruiser.jpg

Update. Spent afternoon bouncing around Stump Pass/Englewood/CP1 in a powerboat. SewSew went through Stump Pass about 1230...we barely made it there in time. Swamp Monkey (modified Tornado) was about an hour behind. Spawn was another hour behind. The Tornado stopped for repairs (unknown) a couple hundred yards after CP1. Spawn passed them. We had to abandon the chase, as we were in a no wake zone with idle zone just ahead, and couldn't keep up.

Back home tonight...as of 930p SewSew was rounding Cape Romano doing 12. Spawn in 2nd still, just north of Naples doing 11.5. Tornado appears to have broken again. Third place is a Hobie 16 Turbo doing 7 a long ways behind.

Thanks for posting the pics, Doug!

The Tornado had been showing 0knots off Sanibel with no updated ping for about 4 hours, but they just pinged again and are just ahead of Spawn.

The Tornado had been showing 0knots off Sanibel with no updated ping for about 4 hours, but they just pinged again and are just ahead of Spawn.

Come on 'Spawn of Frankie~!!

Love getting updates from the Flipside. B):ph34r:

~Skirts

xxoo

I'm not sure what's happening with the tracker, but based on the weather and previous map locations, SewSew must be close to a new record or ahead. Conditions look fast and wet.

GMZ656-657-061730-
COASTAL WATERS FROM CHOKOLOSKEE TO BONITA BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM-
COASTAL WATERS FROM EAST CAPE SABLE TO CHOKOLOSKEE, FL OUT 20 NM-
404 AM EST SUN MAR 6 2016

SMALL CRAFT OPERATORS EXERCISE CAUTION

TODAY
NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET WITH
OCCASIONAL SEAS TO 6 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 3 FEET IN THE
AFTERNOON. DOMINANT PERIOD 4 SECONDS. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE
CHOP.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET.
DOMINANT PERIOD 3 SECONDS. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

MONDAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS AROUND 2 FEET. DOMINANT PERIOD
3 SECONDS. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

I don't see the tracker either.

Moon and Zero appear to be 9th OA

http://www.watertribe.com/events/challengegmapper.aspx

Here is a Naples Fla beach cam, looks like some breeze and some wave action.

http://www.laplayaresort.com/naples-florida-beach-resort-webcam.aspx

Report from Jeffs wife: SewSew made Cp2 in 18hrs 45 minutes. He's still on the beach there (as of before dawn)...not showing up on tracker. Spawn next at 21 hours and change...headed right back out. Currently near Little Shark River, probably in CP3 just after noon.

Hobie 16 Turbo checked in at CP2 25 hours and change, tracker still showing him there. Swamp Monkey Tornado tracker shows them near CP2 for some time, hasn't pinged in a while, they haven't checked in.

Overnight the Thistle sailed into a strong 5th place, heading into CP2 now.

As of 4am SewSew was on the beach. I'm trying to reach Jeffs wife who was there overnight in an RV to see if he's still there.

Evidently wind is strong, Spawn reported at CP2 that there were some hairy wave moments during the night. A couple mackerel jumped in the boat, which they filleted and saved.

The Thistle is doing one hell of a job. They have a solid canvas cover over the bow to keep water out. The boat was built in 1945.

As of 4am SewSew was on the beach. I'm trying to reach Jeffs wife who was there overnight in an RV to see if he's still there.

Evidently wind is strong, Spawn reported at CP2 that there were some hairy wave moments during the night. A couple mackerel jumped in the boat, which they filleted and saved.

Isn't SS being sailed by Randy Smyth?

That's awesome. Bonus points for killing your dinner along the way!

FB- Doug

Isn't SS being sailed by Randy Smyth?

SewSew is Randy's tribal name. Boat is named Scissors, but I'm not sure the current version folds.

That's awesome. Bonus points for killing your dinner along the way!

FB- Doug

Jeff packed a trolling line, but they've probably been going to fast to use it.

Posted this in the EC Monster Boat thread, start from yesterday, would have posted earlier but YouTube did not want to cooperate with the camera disc, copied it with my dvd recorder and it went up.

Go Spawn!

Update on SewSew...broken rudder during the night. Repairs made at CP2 this morning, and it was reported he's back in the water.

Thx for the video and pics.

This may be Moon and Zero on the Marcos cam. You can go full screen on it. I don't see any other racers there, but I have not been able to refresh the tracker for a half hour.

http://www.marcoislandmarriott.com/marriott-marco-island/Web-Cam-92.html

So Spawn is in the lead, near or at CP 3?

Yes. 60 or more miles ahead. They're approaching the Cape now. Tracker/WT website appears to be down.

Spawn is about halfway around the Cape now. Speed is only 10.5, so they're probably reefed down and taking it easy. CP3 about 20 miles ahead.

Update on SewSew...broken rudder during the night. Repairs made at CP2 this morning, and it was reported he's back in the water.

That's too bad. He was making ridiculous speed for that course. I had hoped to see him set another course record. Great boat.

On fb posted that SewSew, Swamp Monkey, and the Hobie16T all are underway. The Thistle is at a dock in Chocko Bay, probably the Ranger Station. They have not checked in at CP2 yet. Tracker/WT site is intermmitent. I'm guessing Spawn is around Cape Sable now and 12-15 miles from CP3.

That's too bad. He was making ridiculous speed for that course. I had hoped to see him set another course record. Great boat.

it is a cool boat, but pretty fragile. He DNFs about 50% of the time.

I'm pretty sure the only real engineering on that boat was done through destructive testing.

I'm pretty sure the only real engineering on that boat was done through destructive testing.

À bit like AT-racing ;)

Spawn is just a couple miles from CP3, appear to be sailing close-hauled at about 9.5 kn.

Spawn checked in at Flamingo a few minutes past noon. 99 miles from CP2 to CP3 in just under 8 hours!

Spawn checked in at Flamingo a few minutes past noon. 99 miles from CP2 to CP3 in just under 8 hours!

Awesome.

Found SewSew again, now in 4th place near Highland Beach, before the Broad River. A Hobie 16 looks like it is beached just a bit further along, so he might pick them up. He's got to be in sight of 3rd place Tornado (R White). Great that he was able to effect repairs... I think I saw a picture of Scissors with absent rudder and paddle used as jury rig at CP2, not sure.

Spawn pinged leaving harbor at Flamingo at 1350, but haven't since then. Don't know which route they're taking. Shore team is in Key Largo, they don't know either.

Spawn pinged leaving harbor at Flamingo at 1350, but haven't since then. Don't know which route they're taking. Shore team is in Key Largo, they don't know either.

Winds predicted to go easterly as the day and night go on and increasing with gusts to 20....it'll be interesting to see which route they chose ....longer and surer or shorter full of obstacles in skinny water and the wind likely on the nose...

They headed east...the direct route. 7.7 knots. They should make it before wind goes easterly. Water depth is main concern.

They headed east...the direct route. 7.7 knots. They should make it before wind goes easterly. Water depth is main concern.

I hope they make out ok. It would be a shame see them get so far, so fast and then run out of water.

Looks like they ran out of water already. Speed = 0. IDK if they'll try to wade, or backtrack. The sun is at their back, which helps a little. But it's pretty hard to read water depth there...it's weird, like a lunar landscape.

They found water! Speed 5.5 heading east. One more tight section ahead, then they have pretty open water although only 3' deep.

Looks like they ran out of water already. Speed = 0. IDK if they'll try to wade, or backtrack. The sun is at their back, which helps a little. But it's pretty hard to read water depth there...it's weird, like a lunar landscape.

extremely difficult it their type of boat(speed) to make sense of what is ahead...too bad they are approaching the most difficult leg as the sun is going down with winds 15+...long night bumping on hunches trying to make sense of the skinny waters

post-56533-0-76009800-1457297230_thumb.jpg

7 knots now. Looks like they're gonna attempt Crocodile Dragover. It'll be easy after that.

GMZ031-062130-
FLORIDA BAY INCLUDING BARNES SOUND, BLACKWATER SOUND, AND
BUTTONWOOD SOUND-
1027 AM EST SUN MAR 6 2016

THIS AFTERNOON
NORTH WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS...BECOMING NORTHEAST.
BAY WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS. BAY
WATERS BECOMING CHOPPY.

MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY
EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS. BAY WATERS
ROUGH.

gonna suck for the later boats tonight going easterly and building to 20

7 knots now. Looks like they're gonna attempt Crocodile Dragover. It'll be easy after that.

Where is that on the Google view?

crocodile dragover is north of black betsy key

Begins at 25:08N , 80:42 E...it passes south of Madeira Bay and Madeira Pt, and ends north of Betsy Keys.

I can't connect to WT site to see tracker at the moment.

Amy just put up personal spot page. They're heading south of Betsy Keys to Jimmy Channel.

I can't connect to WT site to see tracker at the moment.

Yeah, just spinning at the moment.

Will they go across just below Russell Key?

edit: Looks like 600' across if somewhat dry, just inches of water over it.

S of Russel Key continuing SE towards Tavernier. Then they pick up the ICW and head NE to Buttonwood Sound. Might have to tack, but at least they'll have room.

I finally connected with tracker page, as of last ping almost an hour ago they were almost to the channel south of Brush Keys. They're probably at Jimmy Channel now, south of Russel Key.

S of Russel Key continuing SE towards Tavernier. Then they pick up the ICW and head NE to Buttonwood Sound. Might have to tack, but at least they'll have room.

I finally connected with tracker page, as of last ping almost an hour ago they were almost to the channel south of Brush Keys. They're probably at Jimmy Channel now, south of Russel Key.

I have them a little SE of Brush Keys, is Jimmy Channel that little ditch below Russell Key?

I have them a little SE of Brush Keys, is Jimmy Channel that little ditch below Russell Key?

About a mile south of Russell. But it looks like they're headed a little north of that, to just south of Russell. IDK if there's a channel there, my chart shows less than 1'.

About a mile south of Russell. But it looks like they're headed a little north of that, to just south of Russell. IDK if there's a channel there, my chart shows less than 1'.

There is a narrow ditch shown on Google Earth, looks rocky and has a kink in it.