• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Le Renard Subtil

President Trump

Part of me wants it to happen.

I hear a lot about how this country is "going down the tubes", is "wallowing in the gutter", got "ruined", how things are "terrible" from the people who support this man. I haven't taken a survey, or anything, but I suspect.......strongly......that the people making these claims are, to put it delicately, somewhat lacking in perspective. I doubt they have ever even visited or read about a country where things are truly "bad", let alone lived in one. It's pretty baffling stuff to hear. To just about any observer anywhere on this planet, we are wallowing in an embarrassment of riches. Even if we limit or perspective to the local, to our country, it is puzzling. Unemployment is low. Gas is cheap. Taxes hover in the range they more or less have in my lifetime. The water's cleaner, if you don't live in Flint. The nation has some socioeconomic and cultural conflicts and problems, but again, with a little perspective, they can be viewed as problems to be solved by meeting in the center, by compromise and work, rather than by this throwing up of the hands and resorting to the exhortations of a demagogue.

To me, then, this swinish squealing about the imminent doom of our nation represents nothing more than a manifestation of mass ignorance. I therefore want to shed light in this ignorance in the most effective way.

I want these people to feel the lash.

I want to give these people exactly what they want- an authoritarian hypernationalist (wait, he's not hyper any ist except Trumpist) with no policy experience, no experience in government, and vague, simplistic, and potentially disastrous notions of how international relations are conducted.

I will not resort to comparing Trump to Hitler. I don't think it's accurate. Trump is a fucking twinkie compared to Hitler, just as this drooling passel of xenophobic rednecks who support him are twinkies compared to Nazis.

I just think that, if we give these people what they want for four years, that things will get bad. And after that, we will be able to have a real conversation about what bad is.

My life is pretty fireproof, I'll be fine. You?

I hear a lot about how this country is "going down the tubes", is "wallowing in the gutter", got "ruined", how things are "terrible" from the people who support this man. I haven't taken a survey, or anything, but I suspect.......strongly......that the people making these claims are, to put it delicately, somewhat lacking in perspective. I doubt they have ever even visited or read about a country where things are truly "bad", let alone lived in one. It's pretty baffling stuff to hear. To just about any observer anywhere on this planet, we are wallowing in an embarrassment of riches. Even if we limit or perspective to the local, to our country, it is puzzling. Unemployment is low. Gas is cheap. Taxes hover in the range they more or less have in my lifetime. The water's cleaner, if you don't live in Flint. The nation has some socioeconomic and cultural conflicts and problems, but again, with a little perspective, they can be viewed as problems to be solved by meeting in the center, by compromise and work, rather than by this throwing up of the hands and resorting to the exhortations of a demagogue.

To me, then, this swinish squealing about the imminent doom of our nation represents nothing more than a manifestation of mass ignorance. I therefore want to shed light in this ignorance in the most effective way.

I want to give these people exactly what they want- an authoritarian hypernationalist (wait, he's not hyper any ist except Trumpist) with no policy experience, no experience in government, and vague, simplistic, and potentially disastrous notions of how international relations are conducted.

I will not resort to comparing Trump to Hitler. I don't think it's accurate. Trump is a fucking twinkie compared to Hitler, just as this drooling passel of xenophobic rednecks who support him are twinkies compared to Nazis.

I just think that, if we give these people what they want for four years, that things will get bad. And after that, we will be able to have a real conversation about what bad is.

Where did you cut and paste that from?

Me all the way. Why, is it good?

I always did well economically with a Republican POTUS, and I'll manage to suffer the Drumpfster; but his foolish fans on this forum, I will not suffer gladly.

Edited by concerned citizen

I always did well economically with a Republican POTUS, and I'll survive the Drumpfster; but since he is the ultimate fool, not gladly.

Yeah, we're not the ones who will get the real high hard one. Ironically, lower income working class white guys in the south and midwest will. The lash! Ka-KRACK!

Trump is the political equivalent to of your Mom/Dad saying, "You want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about!"

I'm not currently being chased by people wielding machetes, having to swimming to another country because my house just exploded, eating out of a dumpster, living in a mug hole, worrying about a death squad, strapping on a suicide bomb, watching my wife or daughter getting raped, or having to steal, lie, or kill to make a living. Things a pretty damn good. I must be living in another country from the one Obama "ruined."

Quite some time ago, in another thread, I suggested the same thing. A Trump/Palin ticket, if I recall correctly.

Right here on this forum, you read the rantings of the raving lunatics on both sides claiming that the other side are demons from hell sent up to destroy the country. Ginned up hatred by the talking heads that are making a buck off of it. Nobody working together.

I think we need a wake up call. A bumbling administration so bad, so inept, that everybody wakes up to the fact that the my team/you team football game mentality just isn't working.

"Okay... It it was fun... but look what it got us. Now we are really fucked. Let's stop the nonsense and get to work."

Trump is the political equivalent to of your Mom/Dad saying, "You want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about!"

That's about as succinct as it gets, right there.

Quite some time ago, in another thread, I suggested the same thing. A Trump/Palin ticket, if I recall correctly.

Right here on this forum, you read the rantings of the raving lunatics on both sides claiming that the other side are demons from hell sent up to destroy the country. Ginned up hatred by the talking heads that are making a buck off of it. Nobody working together.

I think we need a wake up call. A bumbling administration so bad, so inept, that everybody wakes up to the fact that the my team/you team football game mentality just isn't working.

"Okay... It it was fun... but look what it got us. Now we are really fucked. Let's stop the nonsense and get to work."

indeed.

It's the best post I've ever read...other than my own.

Yep this all makes perfect sense. Just listening to NPR how on national Television (I didn't watch it) a Sitting Senator from Florida made a comment about the size of the leading candidates penis. YCMTSU!! GOP CLOWN CAR ON STEROIDS...

EDIT.. How very "Presidential" of them all!!! Only one even remotely suited for the job is Kasich, except he's a warmonger who wants tens of thousand more US boots on the ground in ME!!!

It's the best post I've ever read...other than my own.

Yep this all makes perfect sense. Just listening to NPR how on national Television (I didn't watch it) a Sitting Senator from Florida made a comment about the size of the leading candidates penis. YCMTSU!! GOP CLOWN CAR ON STEROIDS...

EDIT.. How very "Presidential" of them all!!! Only one even remotely suited for the job is Kasich, except he's a warmonger who wants tens of thousand more US boots on the ground in ME!!!

Is it any less Presidential than a sitting president sticking his cigar in an intern's pussy?

I might support it if I thought we would learn anything from letting Mr. Trump drive the car over the cliff, but history suggests that we would not. You need not look back any farther than October of 2008, when an orgy of stupidity and greed nearly crashed our economy (and the world's). The working class bailed out the people who were too smart to fail, the two parties worked to make sure that the very people who caused the crash got bailed out, while more working people saw their assets transferred to the very people who caused the crash. Yet we went right along with it, and left the same people in place, with ownership of our political parties intact. The only one of those greedy, fraudulent cocksuckers who saw the inside of a jail cell is the one who ripped off the 1%, Madoff. The rest got their bonuses.

We do not fucking learn. I see no reason why we would learn anything from letting another imbecile crash the system.

We do not fucking learn. I see no reason why we would learn anything from letting another imbecile crash the system.

This. Did Vietnam prevent Iraq? Did the Great Depression prevent Gramm–Leach–Bliley?

This. Did Vietnam prevent Iraq? Did the Great Depression prevent Gramm–Leach–Bliley?

Hell no. There's money to be made, by the Right People. All they have to do to make it, is separate the masses and blind them with bullshit.

In other news...

Henry Rollins weighs in... well. American politics is getting the Honey Boo Boo Treatment. http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-american-politics-is-getting-the-honey-boo-boo-treatment-6668773

There are many people that still think GW Bush was competent. Hell, there are a lot that think he was a good president, even after he tanked the economy, killed thousands of our kids and put ten extra screws in the screwed up middle east.

I don't think they'll learn from Trump any more than they learned from Bush II or Reagan.

Is it any less Presidential than a sitting president sticking his cigar in an intern's pussy?

Can you document your allegation, or are you just pissing in the wind?

This is the official testimony of Ms. Monica Lewinsky in the Starr Report, not my piss.

This is the official testimony of Ms. Monica Lewinsky in the Starr Report, not my piss.

Did it happen in private, between two consenting adults?

Or was it in public, on national TV in front of millions of prime time viewers...and the world.

Trump just pulled out of his planned CPAC performance scheduled for tomorrow. Seems he caught wind of a planned walk out of the audience during his speech. That's too bad.

Did it happen in private, between two consenting adults?

Or was it in public, on national TV in front of millions of prime time viewers...and the world.

Are you a better person if you are a scumbag behind closed doors? (And can't manage to keep it private) Or honest in front of national tv audience? Mouth fucking a subordinate employee half your age and sticking a stogie in her cunt and then your mouth and lying about it on national television is considered normal in liberal democrat land I guess.

Small hand joke? Ohh My!!!

LOL...... Only in America.... lol carry on..........

While I emotionally admire what is said in the OP..

Be careful what you wish for.

Allowing the troglodites to run the show will cause a lot of pain for the moderates.

EG in an economic down turn with a centralist government, I'm sitting pretty. Own my own home and work in an industry where economic downturns hugely increase our client base.

But give things like library funding, education, industrial relations etc over to a bunch of people that can't seemingly think beyond next week, play up to the most willfully ignorant sections of the community and have no wish to look beyond their own picket fence and paycheque..you'd be in deeper shit than you could ever dream of.

Comparing Trump to Hitler is not really the issue..comparing the opportunity to "get thy neighbor" that Hitler gave to the economically and intellectually impoverished masses.. is.

There are many people that still think GW Bush was competent. Hell, there are a lot that think he was a good president, even after he tanked the economy, killed thousands of our kids and put ten extra screws in the screwed up middle east.

I don't think they'll learn from Trump any more than they learned from Bush II or Reagan.

The economy was tanked before Bush took office. Clinton had pretty well trashed the place like a bachelor party. As for Iraq, yeah that was Bush all the way.

If the fucking liberals would get smart about taxes, leave the 2nd alone and get spending under control, they would be just fine. But that will never happen. Never. So that leaves little choice.

Democratic republics aren't fireproof. Fragile as hell, actually. I say let's not melt it down just we can tell pathetic whiners "That'll fix ya!"

Trump represents dictatorship. He either has no idea of the limitations of the office or he is determined to vastly increase the power of it. Either way what he's selling is the concept of one good man can fix everything. This is how all democracies end when things get rough enough on The People that they demand the government save them from their condition.

Allowing the troglodites to run the show will cause a lot of pain for the moderates.

EG in an economic down turn with a centralist government, I'm sitting pretty. Own my own home and work in an industry where economic downturns hugely increase our client base.

But give things like library funding, education, industrial relations etc over to a bunch of people that can't seemingly think beyond next week, play up to the most willfully ignorant sections of the community and have no wish to look beyond their own picket fence and paycheque..you'd be in deeper shit than you could ever dream of.

Comparing Trump to Hitler is not really the issue..comparing the opportunity to "get thy neighbor" that Hitler gave to the economically and intellectually impoverished masses.. is.

Honey, the idiots running education right now can't see three minutes ahead, much less next week. Their idea of industrial relations is shut anything that produces down and give money to anyone with a unicorn fart for an idea. Those two things alone are a plague on this nation that is spawned by the likes of Saturday morning cartoons and after school specials of the 1970's.

The economy was tanked before Bush took office. Clinton had pretty well trashed the place like a bachelor party. As for Iraq, yeah that was Bush all the way.

If the fucking liberals would get smart about taxes, leave the 2nd alone and get spending under control, they would be just fine. But that will never happen. Never. So that leaves little choice.

wow - there is some tasty revisionist history.

Did Bill set up the tax breaks that had money sloshing around chasing returns?

Honey, the idiots running education right now can't see three minutes ahead, much less next week. Their idea of industrial relations is shut anything that produces down and give money to anyone with a unicorn fart for an idea. Those two things alone are a plague on this nation that is spawned by the likes of Saturday morning cartoons and after school specials of the 1970's.

It's not about left wing or right wing or even centralist policy..It's about a president who would do anything to create and KEEP a popularist power base.

I don't know how one labels this demographic either here in Oz, the USA or anywhere else.

but they usually

.in local government they want to reduce funding for parks, libraries, museums.

At a state level they are for increasing police powers for stop and search operations, such things as three strikes policy and increased sentencing and incarceration , reducing access to public hospitals, want a "back to basics" curriculum in schools. Want more surveillance in any public place. Are very keen on citizens neighborhood policing ideas.and think all Art Galleries are a waste of money and even dangerous.

Federally they are anti all non northern European immigration, would like to see all refugees kept out.

Usually want all labour unions made illegal.

Want all people of non christian religions to conform in dress, practices and education (including Jews, Hindu's, Buddhists and especially Muslim.

They'd like a return to military conscription. And big increases in military funding.

They are pro censorship of print and other media.(but get a little confused about the principles of freedom of speech)

They usually have no more than high school education and are in the upper working class/ lower middle class income bracket and feel politically unheard.

In short they are people that yearn for power in small ways and big..they want to force their world on their neighbors but lack the energy or political knowledge to do it themselves..so people like Trump, Hitler, Pol Pot or any other dictator you could name do it for them.

You want a government that panders to this? really?

Exhibit A ^^

Can you name any POTUS who hasn't screwed up the Middle east, the USA doesn't have a great track record in the ME.

There was no IS in Libya before the Kenyan's Arab spring, Libya abandoned their WMD program when they saw what Bush did to Iraq, I have had Iranians ask me why the CIA didn't put a bullet in Khomeni's head to prevent the Islamic revolution in Iran.

Trump or Hillary, great choice you have there.

Can you name any POTUS who hasn't screwed up the Middle east, the USA doesn't have a great track record in the ME.

There was no IS in Libya before the Kenyan's Arab spring, Libya abandoned their WMD program when they saw what Bush did to Iraq, I have had Iranians ask me why the CIA didn't put a bullet in Khomeni's head to prevent the Islamic revolution in Iran.

I voted for Bernie.

Carter

Yes, I can; Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Mossadegh..

Mossadegh..

We're still paying for Operation Ajax to this day. But to Ike's credit, he resisted the British Royal family and the Dulles Brothers for a while.

Carter

Disagree. He failed miserably. He was given a unique situation where the stars and planets all aligned. Where Israel would give a great deal to be recognized as a state by an Arab nation. At the same time Egypt was sorely wanting to get back the occupied lands of The Sinai. Carter's mistake, when he had all the leverage in the world, was to not demand a Palestinian homeland on a sliver of Sinai land adjacent to Gaza. In exchange, The Palestinians would surrender claims to the West Bank and recognize the State of Israel. If Carter had grabbed this opportunity, he would indeed have overcome all the other nonsense and failures of his presidency and the world would be a vastly different place.

Carter

Disagree. He failed miserably. He was given a unique situation where the stars and planets all aligned. Where Israel would give a great deal to be recognized as a state by an Arab nation. At the same time Egypt was sorely wanting to get back the occupied lands of The Sinai. Carter's mistake, when he had all the leverage in the world, was to not demand a Palestinian homeland on a sliver of Sinai land adjacent to Gaza. In exchange, The Palestinians would surrender claims to the West Bank and recognize the State of Israel. If Carter had grabbed this opportunity, he would indeed have overcome all the other nonsense and failures of his presidency and the world would be a vastly different place.
If it was a layup, as you seem to think, he would have done it. Nothing is easy n the ME. Carter did an awful lot to improve the geopolitical situation in the ME, to call his efforts a failure is absurd.

Carter, May 1977 -

"We have had no contact with the Palestinians, with PLO. But I have concluded meetings with the Prime Minister of Israel, the President of Egypt, the President of Syria, and the King of Jordan. At the conclusion of this series of meetings, I feel better than I did before. At the end of the Hussein meeting my own hopes were improved.

I don't want to mislead anyone. The chances for Middle Eastern peace are still very much in doubt. We have a long way to go. But I do believe that there's a chance that the Palestinians might make moves to recognize the right of Israel to exist. And if-so, this would remove one of the major obstacles toward further progress.

Our Government, before I became President, promised the Israeli government that we would not recognize the PLO by direct conversations or negotiations, as long as the PLO continued to espouse the commitment that Israel had to be destroyed.

I would like to see this resolved. There's a chance that it will be done. We are trying to add our efforts to bring this about. But I have no assurance that it will be accomplished."

http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/foreignpolicy/mfadocuments/yearbook2/pages/211%20press%20conference%20with%20president%20carter-%2012%20may.aspx

The very fact that he did not include the Palestinians is the failure. Egypt wanted the Sinai back badly. Bad enough that Egypt would officially recognize Israel. Which was huge. Israel was willing to deal with Egypt. In fact they were willing to surrender the Sinai, which too was huge, all that real estate. wow! So far so good. The remaining problem is Palestine. Israel would have dealt because they would get The West Bank and a Palestinian peace accord. Arafat would have had no choice because he would have been ousted had he not gone along with a homeland and peace. So you are back to Egypt needing to sign off on the deal. 90% of Sinai is better than 0% of Sinai. Sadat would have gone that far because he would be seen as the man who brought peace to the Palestinians. The other Arab states, rather than thinking he sold out and climbed into bed with the Israelis, would have heralded Sadat as the peacemaker. It would have been a huge coup for Carter. I think he just didn't see it or recognize how much leverage he actually had..... you know, because he was a peanut farmer.

The very fact that he did not include the Palestinians is the failure. Egypt wanted the Sinai back badly. Bad enough that Egypt would officially recognize Israel. Which was huge. Israel was willing to deal with Egypt. In fact they were willing to surrender the Sinai, which too was huge, all that real estate. wow! So far so good. The remaining problem is Palestine. Israel would have dealt because they would get The West Bank and a Palestinian peace accord. Arafat would have had no choice because he would have been ousted had he not gone along with a homeland and peace. So you are back to Egypt needing to sign off on the deal. 90% of Sinai is better than 0% of Sinai. Sadat would have gone that far because he would be seen as the man who brought peace to the Palestinians. The other Arab states, rather than thinking he sold out and climbed into bed with the Israelis, would have heralded Sadat as the peacemaker. It would have been a huge coup for Carter. I think he just didn't see it or recognize how much leverage he actually had..... you know, because he was a peanut farmer.

You have once again exposed yourself as the partisan hack that you are. As you probably know, Carter was very much a proponent of a Palestinian homeland, your problem is, I suppose, that he had a "D" associated with his name.

No. You are way off base. I don't play for any team politic. None of them really tick enough boxes for me.

I am aware that Carter favored a Palestinian state. But he ignored that, didn't he?

What I think is like every other politician, Carter was more focused on his own legacy. That he would be heralded by just getting Egypt and Israel to agree and sign an accord. That, for his legacy, was good enough. So why risk going for the bigger deal?

I think there are politicians in either party that would have done exactly the same thing. That doesn't mean it was not a blown opportunity. An opportunity for greatness as a leader, peacemaker, statesman.......

Greatness of the act is secondary..... and that is the problem and that is what Carter went for. It was all there, just needed the courage to see beyond how he would appear were it to go tits up.

That said, I don't think it would have. I think they would have all lined up. The four of them as the greatest leaders of a generation, if not eternity.

No. You are way off base. I don't play for any team politic. None of them really tick enough boxes for me.

I am aware that Carter favored a Palestinian state. But he ignored that, didn't he?

What I think is like every other politician, Carter was more focused on his own legacy. That he would be heralded by just getting Egypt and Israel to agree and sign an accord. That, for his legacy, was good enough. So why risk going for the bigger deal?

I think there are politicians in either party that would have done exactly the same thing. That doesn't mean it was not a blown opportunity. An opportunity for greatness as a leader, peacemaker, statesman.......

Greatness of the act is secondary..... and that is the problem and that is what Carter went for. It was all there, just needed the courage to see beyond how he would appear were it to go tits up.

That said, I don't think it would have. I think they would have all lined up. The four of them as the greatest leaders of a generation, if not eternity.

An error of omission is not the same as an error of commission.

I've read the books on the negotiations. Carter was shuttling back and forth as the 2 protagonists wouldn't be seen together. It was on the brink of collapse many times. I highly doubt Israel would have bent on any sort of endorsement of a Palestinian homeland. Like, they still haven't.

Carter's mistake, when he had all the leverage in the world, was to not demand a Palestinian homeland on a sliver of Sinai land adjacent to Gaza. In exchange, The Palestinians would surrender claims to the West Bank and recognize the State of Israel.

Sort of like giving California back to Mexico, and moving all the californians to a new bit of alaska which was gifted from canada?

Mossadegh..

We're still paying for Operation Ajax to this day. But to Ike's credit, he resisted the British Royal family and the Dulles Brothers for a while.

You may find this article interesting, and the later part of Chapter 6 here.

Mossadegh..

You may find this article interesting, and the later part of Chapter 6 here.

Thanks for the link, I read as much as I could comfortably on my phone, I may buy the book.

So far it mostly jibes with my understanding of it, is there an historical bombshell in there?

I've read the books on the negotiations. Carter was shuttling back and forth as the 2 protagonists wouldn't be seen together. It was on the brink of collapse many times. I highly doubt Israel would have bent on any sort of endorsement of a Palestinian homeland. Like, they still haven't.

I think you are wrong about that. The big sticks Carter had to use were the US endorsing and recognizing a New Palestine and the mountains of aid we were giving to Israel. The selling point of it all was peace with their Arab neighbors. I think ultimately Jordan could have been brought in as an endorser of Israel because they loathed the Palestinians just about as much as the Israelis and desperately wanted to see the refugee camps close.

I think you are wrong about that. The big sticks Carter had to use were the US endorsing and recognizing a New Palestine and the mountains of aid we were giving to Israel. The selling point of it all was peace with their Arab neighbors. I think ultimately Jordan could have been brought in as an endorser of Israel because they loathed the Palestinians just about as much as the Israelis and desperately wanted to see the refugee camps close.

You are aware you are just imagining stuff, right? And that you've never read up on the region or the actual events, I hope.

It's not about left wing or right wing or even centralist policy..It's about a president who would do anything to create and KEEP a popularist power base.

I don't know how one labels this demographic either here in Oz, the USA or anywhere else.

but they usually

At a state level they are for increasing police powers for stop and search operations, such things as three strikes policy and increased sentencing and incarceration , reducing access to public hospitals, want a "back to basics" curriculum in schools. Want more surveillance in any public place. Are very keen on citizens neighborhood policing ideas.and think all Art Galleries are a waste of money and even dangerous.

Federally they are anti all non northern European immigration, would like to see all refugees kept out.

Want all people of non christian religions to conform in dress, practices and education (including Jews, Hindu's, Buddhists and especially Muslim.

They'd like a return to military conscription. And big increases in military funding.

They are pro censorship of print and other media.(but get a little confused about the principles of freedom of speech)

They usually have no more than high school education and are in the upper working class/ lower middle class income bracket and feel politically unheard.

In short they are people that yearn for power in small ways and big..they want to force their world on their neighbors but lack the energy or political knowledge to do it themselves..so people like Trump, Hitler, Pol Pot or any other dictator you could name do it for them.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by any of that. I honestly think you are a bit confused about how our government works. First, the Feds have very little to do with local education, arts and other local spending. The exception is called "pork." Pork is local spending by the federal government for special or pet projects that will allow congressmen and senators to keep the good favor of their constituents (the people they represent.) Basically it is a way to take federal money for local projects. Aside from that, the local government spends its own money on its own projects. The allocation of tax money and criminal laws are two different functions.

I do agree that there are plenty idiots that want complete and total control. Everybody has their pet control issue. I happen to love liberty. I do not want the government lurking over my back shoulder or keeping me from doing as I wish on my own land. However, that taken to extreme can lead to health issues or worse for other people. It is there that we draw the line. Murder/rape are perfect examples. Theft is another. You seem to dislike firearms. From my vantage point you think there should be laws that prohibit people from attaining firearms, or to some extent there of. You want to exert your own personal control over everyone else. You likely think that this is not so much control as it is an issue of safety. Even so, those laws would reduce the freedom of American citizens to enjoy a freedom protected by our Constitution. That is not a freedom granted by our Constitution, but protected by it. That is a huge difference.

The US Constitution was written expressly to limit what the government controls, not to give the government control.

I live in a small town in a conservative state. We have invested heavily in the arts. We have invested heavily in education. We have nice parks and work to upgrade when possible. The reason is simple. With these advantages come jobs. Jobs is our greatest need. A well kept neighborhood and arts like music, theater and the like tend to attract the people who create jobs.

wow - there is some tasty revisionist history.

Did Bill set up the tax breaks that had money sloshing around chasing returns?

No sir. The economy was crashing before Bush took office. Anyone who followed Clinton was in for a bad time. We can argue about the causes, but the fact is simple. The crash began in 1998. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-bill-clintons-balanced-budget-destroyed-the-economy-2012-9

The IRS under Clinton was so bad that Congress had to reign it in in 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Revenue_Service_Restructuring_and_Reform_Act_of_1998

These two were simultaneous, so one did not start the other. The Tech bubble was unsustainable. Asia was having bad problems. The hangover started before Bush took office.

Whoa hold on.. So Bush and Gore held numerous debates discussing how to spend or save our budget surplus. Republicans constantly credit Gingrich for said surplus. Bush gave it away $600 at a time and the economy crashed because of Clinton? You have got to be kidding me.

By the way, let it be known that China is in rough shape right now and it's going to get worse for awhile. Future President Trump will likely take credit for that by saying he "made a good deal for the US" and now we are "Winning" against the Chinese. And PL and his elk will say see, see!

You need to back that up old mate. China isn't in rough shape, it's the Asian century.

Commodity prices (Iron ore specifically) mad a huge leap based on new Chinese projections.

You're saying they're in "rough shape" is BS.

but they usually

I'm not at all sure what you mean by any of that. I honestly think you are a bit confused about how our government works. First, the Feds have very little to do with local education, arts and other local spending. The exception is called "pork." Pork is local spending by the federal government for special or pet projects that will allow congressmen and senators to keep the good favor of their constituents (the people they represent.) Basically it is a way to take federal money for local projects. Aside from that, the local government spends its own money on its own projects. The allocation of tax money and criminal laws are two different functions.

I do agree that there are plenty idiots that want complete and total control. Everybody has their pet control issue. I happen to love liberty. I do not want the government lurking over my back shoulder or keeping me from doing as I wish on my own land. However, that taken to extreme can lead to health issues or worse for other people. It is there that we draw the line. Murder/rape are perfect examples. Theft is another. You seem to dislike firearms. From my vantage point you think there should be laws that prohibit people from attaining firearms, or to some extent there of. You want to exert your own personal control over everyone else. You likely think that this is not so much control as it is an issue of safety. Even so, those laws would reduce the freedom of American citizens to enjoy a freedom protected by our Constitution. That is not a freedom granted by our Constitution, but protected by it. That is a huge difference.

The US Constitution was written expressly to limit what the government controls, not to give the government control.

I live in a small town in a conservative state. We have invested heavily in the arts. We have invested heavily in education. We have nice parks and work to upgrade when possible. The reason is simple. With these advantages come jobs. Jobs is our greatest need. A well kept neighborhood and arts like music, theater and the like tend to attract the people who create jobs.

Huh?? I like our firearms laws but I usually make a point of keeping out of the endless Gun threads..your country, your culture,your problem as far as I'm concerned.

I was talking about ANY elected official pandering to a type. Trump just being the current federal dog whistler with the power to enable and entitle the thinking of such types .

You need to back that up old mate. China isn't in rough shape, it's the Asian century.

Commodity prices (Iron ore specifically) mad a huge leap based on new Chinese projections.

You're saying they're in "rough shape" is BS.

MSM is constantly stating China is in rough shape with large empty new cities, very high unemployment and now contemplating shutting down large Government owned industries laying off thousands more. This was on NPR radio yesterday morning....

MSM says a lot of things Billy.

The value of iron ore rallied the most on record Monday night after steel prices in China jumped on the belief Beijing's pro-growth policies would boost sluggish demand.

The benchmark price rose $US9.99 or 18.5 per cent to $US63.74 a tonne, according to Metal Bulletin, the largest gain since daily pricing began in mid-2008.

China GDP february 6.5%. USA 0.7%. Indonesia 5.5%. India 7.8%

Hmmmm...

Australia 2.6%

I see from Billy's quote that the resident crossing guard is trying to get my attention. Well from where I sit right this moment I don't need to use google to back anything up. I'm here, I see it, I'm living it and being a commodity based economy is not great right now. Ask Saudi Arabia. Also check the hints that China is watching Japan's negative interest and QE. They say they are not there yet but even hinting isn't a sign of good things to come. Do you think more companies are moving into China or moving back out? Like back to Taiwan or even.. Gasp.. Florida?

The value of iron ore rallied the most on record Monday night after steel prices in China jumped on the belief Beijing's pro-growth policies would boost sluggish demand.

The benchmark price rose $US9.99 or 18.5 per cent to $US63.74 a tonne, according to Metal Bulletin, the largest gain since daily pricing began in mid-2008.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/mining/iron-ore/iron-ore-surges-185pc-on-china-steel-price-rally-20160307-gncyzx#ixzz42J7Ckw42

Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Billy has to start listening to other sources, not just National Pinko Radio.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/mining/iron-ore/iron-ore-surges-185pc-on-china-steel-price-rally-20160307-gncyzx#ixzz42J7Ckw42

Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Billy has to start listening to other sources, not just National Pinko Radio.

Spoken like a real mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, REGRESSIVE! You lot would have women not voting, barefoot in the kitchen making your babies. Reminds of the Muslims who consider their daughters like chattel, and kill them if they want to marry someone poorer than they want them to. Look up "The Girl in the River"

but they usually

Huh?? I like our firearms laws but I usually make a point of keeping out of the endless Gun threads..your country, your culture,your problem as far as I'm concerned.

I was talking about ANY elected official pandering to a type. Trump just being the current federal dog whistler with the power to enable and entitle the thinking of such types .

If my observations are wrong, I apologize. I picked up somewhere that you were afraid of firearms in the US.. my bad.

I do not like Trump. I did not vote for Trump last Tuesday. If it ends up Trump vs Clinton, then I have little choice but to vote for Trump. This is because Hillary is the worst of the two evils.

As far as pandering to a "type" goes, that is pretty much how our population breaks down.