Sign in to follow this  
bjp

Production MORC boats

I'm fairly confident that the keel currently on the Davo is a much newer and deeper one than it would have had in MORC trim. The old rudder looks completely out of place with the current keel.

Snapper alludes to this problem.above. Several owners of local Dash 34's (another lightweight LD design) have replaced the original rudder with a bigger and deeper one, mainly for control. But the rudder on those was even proportionally smaller than the one on this Davo 30.

It's the original keel

-Snap

Found an interesting thread on Wolf Pack with lots of newer photos and some olld ones as well. Very cool boat. Also articles and results on the 1986 and 1987 MORC championships on the lakes. Says she was definitely on the lighter side of the weight spectrum for a MORC boat, but still 3300 lb sounds awfully light. In some of the results it shows she rated at 32.9 which is high as one would expect.

Star Dancer is listed as 10th in 1986, so not too great a result there.

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/showthread.php?3847-The-Wolfpack-IS-Back

I'm fairly confident that the keel currently on the Davo is a much newer and deeper one than it would have had in MORC trim. The old rudder looks completely out of place with the current keel.

Snapper alludes to this problem.above. Several owners of local Dash 34's (another lightweight LD design) have replaced the original rudder with a bigger and deeper one, mainly for control. But the rudder on those was even proportionally smaller than the one on this Davo 30.

It's the original keel

-Snap

Really? Because in the mid 80's, trapezoidal or more likely elliptical keels were de riguer on almost every IOR or MORC boat and MHS/IMS wasn't around then. If she did have this bulb keel originally, then LD was certainly ahead of the curve as it would be the only I can think of in that era.

Found an interesting thread on Wolf Pack with lots of newer photos and some olld ones as well. Very cool boat. Also articles and results on the 1986 and 1987 MORC championships on the lakes. Says she was definitely on the lighter side of the weight spectrum for a MORC boat, but still 3300 lb sounds awfully light. In some of the results it shows she rated at 32.9 which is high as one would expect.

Great find! thanks for posting the link. Very interesting to see how the boats are broken in class 1 & 2. Cool to see Details in the mix :)

3300 lbs sounds light to me...I'd guess 42-4500. The 32 rating sounds about right for a ULDB... the SR27 rated about 31 IIRC. Wasn't designed with MORC in mind at all, took every conceivable penalty and then some.

I never saw the j27 as a morc boat having owned a Kirby 25 and now a j27 the Kirby 25 had a completely different sail plan than it's one design brother smaller main and a 170 Genoa I haver Gerard of anything like that for the j27

I liked the MORC Rule and still like the well rounded abilities of a lot of boats designed to it.

As far as the comment about not planing, anything can plane with enough wind :)

Here's a shot by the great photographer Franz Rosenbaum (dec'd) of my old boat in 1983, racing under MORC. We had definite planing moments have crossed 20 miles of Lake Ontario in 1.5hrs :)

post-5483-0-00527300-1459453271_thumb.jpeg

And on a less windy day......

post-5483-0-94768400-1459453340_thumb.jpeg

There were plenty of MORC boats that planed, but they rarely did well on corrected time unless they had good planing conditions. Most areas of the country where MORC was popular don't have planing conditions that often. The moderate displacement boats with more rocker were nearly as fast in displacement sailing, and rated much lower.

Great find! thanks for posting the link. Very interesting to see how the boats are broken in class 1 & 2. Cool to see Details in the mix :)

That was just the distance race which was a complete crapshoot. SD to a mark off Rosarito Beach, then Mission Bay entrance bouy, then finish at SD entrance. Ugh

But whoooo boy those articles bring back memories.

It's the original keel

-Snap

Really? Because in the mid 80's, trapezoidal or more likely elliptical keels were de riguer on almost every IOR or MORC boat and MHS/IMS wasn't around then. If she did have this bulb keel originally, then LD was certainly ahead of the curve as it would be the only I can think of in that era.

Hence the question to Laurie... with a keel that ahead of its time, why have a rudder that looked like that? He didn't take that question very well. I honestly thought it had come from an Olson 30.

It's the original keel

-Snap

Hence the question to Laurie... with a keel that ahead of its time, why have a rudder that looked like that? He didn't take that question very well. I honestly thought it had come from an Olson 30.
Earlier pics of the boat show an elliptical keel and lower aspect rudder. New keel and rudder by Jim Donovan replaced original Laurie Davidson ones.

It's the original keel

-Snap

Yes, rather an ancient and small looking rudder. Still, better than the ones on the Dash, although I heard a rumour this was not the rudder he intended for the Dash although it kind of has an elliptical shape, but not a very good one. His later monster rig Davidson 29 circa 1990 is much better, although still on the small side and these boats have control issues as well. You can see the similarities in the keels of the D29 and D30.

post-12572-0-85510000-1459457095_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-64650100-1459457129_thumb.jpg

The rudder on the 29 is unsafe at any speed. Seriously.

It would be interesting to see Kodiak (ex-Midsummer) out of the water because the issue may be sectional shape more than area.

From what I've seen, LD seems to like thin 6 series (laminar) foils rather than thicker and more forgiving 4 digits. One thing I've noticed is that most boats have paired keel bolts while every LD boat I've seen has a single row of very thick keel bolts to accommodate the thin keels.

I've taken measurements on Road Runner (Dash 34) and it looks like he used a 64008 at the keel root transitioning to a 64012 at the tip. As you may know, Joe D. built a deeper and larger rudder for RR. My measurements and observation (quite fine leading edge) suggested a 63010 constant section. I ran across Joe and asked him what sectional shape he used on the new rudder and he replied (I am paraphrasing here) "I don't know, I just used the original rudder for templates".

A 63010 would be an effective low drag rudder and works well on higher speed boats like cats, but will tend to stall out more readily than a 4 digit. Certainly have to be on your toes driving I think.

I was onboard said Davo 30 for said spectacular wipeout. I wasn't driving, but from the language I heard from the back of the bus, I'd say the rudder is a bit on the small side.

Earlier pics of the boat show an elliptical keel and lower aspect rudder. New keel and rudder by Jim Donovan replaced original Laurie Davidson ones.

Given that Laurie made no mention of the keel after looking at the pics I'd say that was a stretch. Also, McLaurin only used LD at that time. Everyone's an expert here though.

I was onboard said Davo 30 for said spectacular wipeout. I wasn't driving, but from the language I heard from the back of the bus, I'd say the rudder is a bit on the small side.

How could you hear when you were underwater!

Given that Laurie made no mention of the keel after looking at the pics I'd say that was a stretch. Also, McLaurin only used LD at that time. Everyone's an expert here though.

Agree about MacLaurin only using LD - at least from what I've read

Speaking of said spectacular wipeout - here it is. Which one are you Nice? Red cap?

post-12572-0-66421600-1459471783_thumb.jpg

Capri 30 was MORC I thought. Snap you sailed one in the SoCal MORC fleet didn't you?

We sailed a Capri 30 for the Factory.

Capri 30 was MORC I thought. Snap you sailed one in the SoCal MORC fleet didn't you?

There were several Capri 30's that raced MORC for a while until the maxi- MORC machines came in and blew out the fleet along with Easy Go, which essentially killed MORC in general (cool boat though).

It would be interesting to see what a true MORC boat rates under KMSi...

Agree about MacLaurin only using LD - at least from what I've read

Speaking of said spectacular wipeout - here it is. Which one are you Nice? Red cap?

I believe that's Nice making sure the new carbon pole doesn't break or float away. It was an epic broach trying to gybe. I just remember the helm going away and saying 'hang on!'

Okay,

Pinnacle 30 - Perfect Stranger

Adhara 30 - Creeper (if the transom looks IORish it was because Peterson wanted it to be able to race OK under IOR)

Pinnacle 30 ahead of one of the Pendragons. Shortly after rounding leeward mark I think

A couple of an Andrews 30 in TO that was updated with new foils.

It would be great if someone could find photos of Babe Ruthless.

post-12572-0-92690900-1459483849_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-19592600-1459483865_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-00417700-1459483882_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-53855400-1459483909_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-58483600-1459483927_thumb.jpg

The Davidson "Stardancer" was actually the 2nd boat built to that design by Mclauren. The first effort was so soft it was destroyed & tossed in a dumpster very quickly. About 3-4 yrs later the 2nd boat was built.

Capri 30 and Capri 25. Both will surf for sure.

Not MORC typeforms.

Everything except the rear quarter of the boat was typical of MORC, incuding the sailplan. With some minor tinkering on reducing penalties of the one design spec, they measured and sailed competitively under MORC.

There were several Capri 30's that raced MORC for a while until the maxi- MORC machines came in and blew out the fleet along with Easy Go, which essentially killed MORC in general (cool boat though).

It would be interesting to see what a true MORC boat rates under KMSi...

I remember Easy Go from a WIRW in the late 80's which may have been her maiden regatta (she was built by Don Martin up in Van). The thing that struck me the most was her motion through the water - seemed to have very low pitching moment, or at least well damped.

Going upwind in light air in a bit of slop, other boats bows would bounce up and down a few times after encountering a wave but the bow of Easy Go would blip over a wave, touch down, and carry on.

This thread is great but needs more pics. Come on guys don't hold out...

S2 9.1

post-11311-0-43026400-1459498333_thumb.jpg

Don't forget the S2 9.1 and the venerable Pearson 30. 9.1s were brilliant as MORC Boats. The real problems with MORC started in the early to mid 80s when one off custom boats started coming on the scene. The ensuing arms race killed the class by mid to late 90s. A lot MORC designs live on today because they were decent sailing boats with livable interiors.

They are good sailing boats. I miss that racing.

i love my 9.1 wish there was still MORC racing

No you don't

Don't forget the S2 9.1 and the venerable Pearson 30. 9.1s were brilliant as MORC Boats. The real problems with MORC started in the early to mid 80s when one off custom boats started coming on the scene. The ensuing arms race killed the class by mid to late 90s. A lot MORC designs live on today because they were decent sailing boats with livable interiors.

No you don't

MORC is dead, like PHRF, IRC, ORC, ORR, Americap, IOR..... ;-)

There is a group out in Detroit trying to get a bunch of the 30's going as a class, would be very cool to see them on the start line together.

Scoring would not be MORC of course, so this would be a bit like the revival you see with the IOR boats at the moment.

Nice thing about doing something with MORC boats like this is they are but better boats to sail vs. IOR boats of the same era.

Scooter - Capo 26

If it only had cupholders... Does have a lot of strings below...

post-23512-0-53262400-1459517015_thumb.jpg

post-23512-0-38233000-1459517634_thumb.jpg

post-23512-0-25307700-1459517972_thumb.jpg

Scooter - Capo 26

Interesting array of strings. Any idea what each controls?

Scooter - Capo 26

No clue, they don't let me touch anything at that end of the boat. B)

Mulligan can correct me, but that's the jib leads, checkstays, backstay, and traveller iirc.

Many of the boats in this thread seem to be designed for IOR, but did OK in MORC as well.

What boats were just designed for MORC?

I am thinking of boats like the Tartan 30 here, with a broader stern, shortish overhangs, and bigger main.

They rated as 3/4 tonners on IOR, different to the Yankee 30 which rated as a 1/2 tonner, so seem to have been designed for MORC and IOR be damned.

I would say the vast majority of boats listed above were either designed specifically for MORC or with MORC in mind.

There wasn't really a lot of IOR racing in North America for boats 30 ft and under.

Any of the above with the names Andrews, N/M, G&S, or Peterson attached to it would likely be designed specifically for MORC. I'm sure there are others, but that is a short and simple list.

One of my favourite MORC boats is the Davidson 30. Very much on the light side for a MORC-Maxi at around 4500 lb but had less SA than others. I believe it rated 74 under SoCal PHRF and is now somewhere in the 80-90 range in PNW.

The Davidson looks very cool! Do you have any more photos of it?

In fact I do . I believe she was built in the 80's for John MacLaurin (various Pendragons). Wood boat. She was called Stardancer when she was on the market some 5 years ago and bought by a sail maker in Seattle and is now known as Dangerous When Wet. I'm sure you know who the owner is since he has had several Dangerous When...(Wet, Striped) but the name slips me at the moment.

Apparently a bit short of SA in her MORC config so the rig was bumped up another couple of feet. I is now 38 ft so I guess it was around 36 ft originally which is pretty short for a MH MORC-Maxi. There is a spectacular shot somewhere of a wipeout during WIRW around 2011

I've got about a dozen photos from her old ad but these give you a better idea. The rudder looks original but the keel looks like a fairly recent addition.

Keel on the Davidson 30 looks a lot like the Davidson Keel on my Ross 930...

post-12572-0-36478900-1459439682.jpg\

1799997_10153921704485377_160790077_o.jp

post-12572-0-21492800-1459439674.jpg

1965650_10153921703740377_43265805_o.jpg

1654922_10153922711720377_2126547069_o.j

Vs. the Cleft Foot of the Davidson 29 that gave us a solid beat down on a light air 98 miler on the weekend...

10363614_10156702396590302_5360284119670

Does anyone have any pics of the '94 Canada;s Cup trials & finals?

I have an old Sailing World with a cool shot of Champion Eagle & Absolute, will try and scan it later today.

Many of the boats in this thread seem to be designed for IOR, but did OK in MORC as well.

I am thinking of boats like the Tartan 30 here, with a broader stern, shortish overhangs, and bigger main.

They rated as 3/4 tonners on IOR, different to the Yankee 30 which rated as a 1/2 tonner, so seem to have been designed for MORC and IOR be damned.

I would say the vast majority of boats listed above were either designed specifically for MORC or with MORC in mind.

There wasn't really a lot of IOR racing in North America for boats 30 ft and under.

Any of the above with the names Andrews, N/M, G&S, or Peterson attached to it would likely be designed specifically for MORC. I'm sure there are others, but that is a short and simple list.

One of my favourite MORC boats is the Davidson 30. Very much on the light side for a MORC-Maxi at around 4500 lb but had less SA than others. I believe it rated 74 under SoCal PHRF and is now somewhere in the 80-90 range in PNW.

In fact I do . I believe she was built in the 80's for John MacLaurin (various Pendragons). Wood boat. She was called Stardancer when she was on the market some 5 years ago and bought by a sail maker in Seattle and is now known as Dangerous When Wet. I'm sure you know who the owner is since he has had several Dangerous When...(Wet, Striped) but the name slips me at the moment.

Apparently a bit short of SA in her MORC config so the rig was bumped up another couple of feet. I is now 38 ft so I guess it was around 36 ft originally which is pretty short for a MH MORC-Maxi. There is a spectacular shot somewhere of a wipeout during WIRW around 2011

I've got about a dozen photos from her old ad but these give you a better idea. The rudder looks original but the keel looks like a fairly recent addition.

Keel on the Davidson 30 looks a lot like the Davidson Keel on my Ross 930...

Not too surprising. K. Palmer bought that Ross 930 in the early 90's and one of the first he did was have LD design a new keel to replace what he said was a rather odd section the PO had fitted.

I understand this Ross has had the keel "detached" from the boat several times in the interim, but quite likely kept the same shape

Vs. the Cleft Foot of the Davidson 29 that gave us a solid beat down on a light air 98 miler on the weekend...

10363614_10156702396590302_5360284119670

Better view of the D29 keel. Not wildly different IMO One reason for the difference between the keels is I think the D29 was perhaps designed with MHS or IMS in mind. Plus a lot heavier - 2700 lb total lead/bronze vs maybe 1700 lb lead on the Ross.

The D29 is definitely one of the most powered up boats out there. Enormous rig.

post-12572-0-60245000-1459534273_thumb.jpg

I recall Stardancer came to the MORC nationals in Erie PA when she was brand new. She was the talk of the town given the scratch rating, the rumored cost and having trailered from CA. The boat was supposed to take line honors every race.

The first race, perhaps it was the practice race was windy and had some savage chop. The boat broke on the first upwind leg, the rig went slack. The frame at the leading edge of the keel pushed a nice bulge that was visible from the outside of the boat.

This sort of thing, breakdowns and such, happened all the time in IOR and back at the bar the MORC old guard was satisfied that the rule did not favor exotic lightly built boats.

The Davidson "Stardancer" was actually the 2nd boat built to that design by Mclauren. The first effort was so soft it was destroyed & tossed in a dumpster very quickly. About 3-4 yrs later the 2nd boat was built.

^^ beat me to it.

Scooter - Capo 26

Still kicking myself for not buying that boat...

Well, the purchase price of the boat was low. But it has taken a fair bit of time, effort, and money to get it back up near where it should be. Took the bottom all the way down and redid the barrier coat, then sprayed on a hard vinyl. Lots of new strings. A few new sails. The deck needs a full paint job in the next couple of years. It's a 30 year old boat, and needs it's attention. It does sail to it's rating quite well, especially when we got the driver to let it rumble.

Scooter - Capo 26

Genoa Leads In & Out, Backstay, and Checkstays purchases are under the cockpit floor. Genoa track is in an athwartship trough on deck.

Where is SKIDOO ,she was always a favourite MORC design designed by Chuck BurnsBURNS 30Burns 30 drawing on sailboatdata.com

it is reported to be in britain someplace.. And no.. It never was a MORC boat.. But did race under MORA.. Thats any boat less than 31 ft and was PHRF.

The problem with the Rule designed boats (MORA/MORC) is when a good one comes out and dominates the Designers change the rule to kill it.

Bruce King hit the nail on the head with the Zap 26 and they killed the boat from a real production run.

Probably one of the best small boats I have sailed. It could use a bit more sail area but it is easily handled by almost any level of sailor.

Low wetted surface, easily driven and a keel that keeps the boat pointing high.

Nice wide decks and a big cockpit. (old photo)

MORA WAS PHRF WITH BOATS THAT WERE 31 FT OR LESS.. IT WASNT A MEASUREMENT SYSTEM..

Whatever it was the good boats always get screwed by those in control.

Every single rating rule changes.

Have one on Tampa Bay, still around the club, not sure how well she did. Does well in PHRF still.

Have one on Tampa Bay, still around the club, not sure how well she did. Does well in PHRF still.

We beat it boat for boat with a J-30 when there was wind...and they owed us a couple feet of rating. Probably better in light air.

We beat it boat for boat with a J-30 when there was wind...and they owed us a couple feet of rating. Probably better in light air.

I didn't think it was a good fit to the rule, and the 25 sailed the same way in big air, wide bow flair that slams a lot of water in chop. Low freeboard was probably hit pretty hard.

I didn't think it was a good fit to the rule, and the 25 sailed the same way in big air, wide bow flair that slams a lot of water in chop. Low freeboard was probably hit pretty hard.

Flat water, 18-20. OH was driving so they were fairly well sailed. May have been an OB model, which raises the rating about a foot. I'm sure they took penalties for FB and light disp, and probably didn't get any interior credit. J-30 rated pretty well, as long as you had over 12 kn wind...still, we beat them boat for boat every race, including one where we ripped Genoa in a tacking duel with them, broke off the cover to change to Lt #1, tacked on a header, and still crossed them. Look on OH's face was priceless.

Scooter - Capo 26

There's a Capo 26 at Spurgeon Port of Call in Stockton, Missouri. I know nothing about it, just saw the listing.

All these posts about MORC boats and no one has mentioned the Harmony 22?

Scooter - Capo 26

There's a Capo 26 at Spurgeon Port of Call in Stockton, Missouri. I know nothing about it, just saw the listing.

Is it possible there is a reason for that?

Scooter - Capo 26

It's possible. Puget Sound a couple of years ago?

I'm also sure there were lots of other successful MORC boats built that haven't been mentioned. The glamour boats during the MORC heydays of the 80's- the Maxi-MORC boats - seem to have dominated this thread.

To stretch things, one could also mention the Mumm 30 and Soverel 33 - but they came later when MORC was dying and they started allowing boats up to 33-34 ft LOA.

I sailed in the '83 MORC Internationals in Tornonto. The "star" of that regatta was a 30' N/M MORC-maxi from California named Cowboy. Owned by a Cali attourney who also played in the custom IOR yacht arena IIRC.

I sent this image to John McLaurin and he confirmed that this is the original keel. Pretty forward think by Davidson, but one does have to question that rudder!

post-354-0-57153400-1459707410_thumb.jpg

post-354-0-57153400-1459707410_thumb.jpg

I sent this image to John McLaurin and he confirmed that this is the original keel. Pretty forward think by Davidson, but one does have to question that rudder!

That is interesting and at least partially explains to me why she had a relatively short rig.

This keel looks to have quite a bit less WS than the typical keel of the day. Add in my view that LD preferred laminar foil sections adds up to a low drag (albeit finicky) keel.

With the rudder, it looks to be on the small side too - again less WS. Although elliptical foils were becoming more common place in the mid 80's, it has to be realized that you don't have to have an elliptical plan form to achieve an elliptical lift distribution, which is what you actually want.

With regards to elliptical keels, part of the reason for their existence was partially to attain an elliptical lift distribution, but like I mentioned above that can be accomplished with a trapezoidal plan form. The real benefit was reduced interference drag due to the smaller volume of the keel root. Nowadays with pretty much all the lead volume contained within a bulb rather than the keel one can make the strut pretty much as thin and small volume as you want.

The Davidson 29 seen in earlier posts has a lead keel with smaller blended bulb and it looks to me like LD went to great effort to minimize keel volume at the root. In fact, the keel is attached to a bronze keel stub (shown below) via a single row of 4 enormous keelbolts. In the drawing below, you can see just how thin this keel is at the root. I think LD refers to it as a bronze keel top in the drawing, which is probably a better description.

post-12572-0-97942600-1459711379_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-19198100-1459711393_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-97942600-1459711379_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-19198100-1459711393_thumb.jpg

Scooter - Capo 26

Very true. I looked at the size of the sail plan on SailboatData.com and decided that it was another one of those inexpensive boats that aren't affordable.

Must mention the Merit 28- A NM design- it was a fast boat. Two of my friends still own Capo 26's. One is the original hull, and one is the former "plain wrap". Most MORC boats had quite a bit of "headroom". and make good little sailing boats.

Must mention the Merit 28- A NM design- it was a fast boat. Two of my friends still own Capo 26's. One is the original hull, and one is the former "plain wrap". Most MORC boats had quite a bit of "headroom". and make good little sailing boats.

I sailed a stock one a bit, both MORC and PHRF. Pretty nice boat. There was also a modified one from Annapolis that spent a little time in Florida...Stingray...had a different deck, I think from a Santana 30/30?

What's the story on Flags? Seems like a good deal for someone looking to rekindle MORC dreams.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Andrews-30-Racing-Sailboat-/201555165271?nav=SEARCH

The Andrews 30s were pretty quick. Good boat for W-L courses. I'd estimate PHRF about 90-96, which is pretty quick for a 30' displacement boat. Price seems very reasonable, if the boat is structurally sound.

What's the story on Flags? Seems like a good deal for someone looking to rekindle MORC dreams.

The Andrews 30s were pretty quick. Good boat for W-L courses. I'd estimate PHRF about 90-96, which is pretty quick for a 30' displacement boat. Price seems very reasonable, if the boat is structurally sound.

I think you'll find that boat to be slower than 90-96 as it's an older Star 30 Turbo VS the later boats like Flak, Freestyle etc.

There was a listing that showed the keel that appears to have been taken down, it has a new fin & bulb vs the original one.

A customer of mine was looking at buying it but passed. He had certs for it that ranged from 114-108 in PHRF.

I think you'll find that boat to be slower than 90-96 as it's an older Star 30 Turbo VS the later boats like Flak, Freestyle etc.

There was a listing that showed the keel that appears to have been taken down, it has a new fin & bulb vs the original one.

A customer of mine was looking at buying it but passed. He had certs for it that ranged from 114-108 in PHRF.

Okay, I was thinking it was like Flak. Even 108-114 isn't slow...that's similar speed to mid to late 80s 3/4 tonners like DB2 and X-boat, which are 4' longer.

I spent a lot of time on that boat! My dad and Tony Shepherd bought it from the insurance after a spill on I 75 in 89'. Put it all back together and we raced that boat a lot after that. Did the 94' Canadian Canada's Cup on it. Only boat to beat Absolute that year! We did a new Glenn Henderson Keel for the 94' year. We also did a new lighter rig for it that same winter. After the keel job and the new sail configuration we were actually quite competitive with the newer boats like Flak and Zoo II. Invincible and Zoo III were faster so was Absolute. The boat was built very well back then, not sure how it has aged as I don't the current owner did much.

I spent a lot of time on that boat! My dad and Tony Shepherd bought it from the insurance after a spill on I 75 in 89'. Put it all back together and we raced that boat a lot after that. Did the 94' Canadian Canada's Cup on it. Only boat to beat Absolute that year! We did a new Glenn Henderson Keel for the 94' year. We also did a new lighter rig for it that same winter. After the keel job and the new sail configuration we were actually quite competitive with the newer boats like Flak and Zoo II. Invincible and Zoo III were faster so was Absolute. The boat was built very well back then, not sure how it has aged as I don't the current owner did much.

Makes total sense, thanks for that update. I knew from looking at the photos & listing the keel was newer & rig was quite a bit taller vs the original.

Makes total sense, thanks for that update. I knew from looking at the photos & listing the keel was newer & rig was quite a bit taller vs the original.

We actually did not go up in the rig when we went new. We did a longer boom and longer spinnaker pole. I and P stayed the same.

We actually did not go up in the rig when we went new. We did a longer boom and longer spinnaker pole. I and P stayed the same.

interesting, E & SPL looked longer for sure. Do you remember what the I was?

The "star" of that regatta was a 30' N/M MORC-maxi from California named Cowboy. Owned by a Cali attourney who also played in the custom IOR yacht arena IIRC.

Larry Harvey (IOR boat was Brooke Ann, later renamed Crazy Horse after the divorce...)

interesting, E & SPL looked longer for sure. Do you remember what the I was?

P= 36.33

E= 13.33

I= 41.56

J= 12.00

SPL=13.17'

I sailed a stock one a bit, both MORC and PHRF. Pretty nice boat. There was also a modified one from Annapolis that spent a little time in Florida...Stingray...had a different deck, I think from a Santana 30/30?

Stingray is pictured above at the internationals. I remember it having the stock deck unless the owner, Paul Awalt (?) changed it up later.

How many Merit 28's are floating around? l only know of two.

Stingray is pictured above at the internationals. I remember it having the stock deck unless the owner, Paul Awalt (?) changed it up later.

How many Merit 28's are floating around? l only know of two.

He changed the deck after having the boat about a year, as I recall. It was a clean and professional job. He brought the boat to Tampa Bay area approx fall of '91? Def was sailing the boat here in spring '92. It already had the new deck then. I was sailing a stock Merit 28 here at the time. We had some good races against each other. That's the only 2 28s I know of, not many were built before Merit closed shop. The boat I sailed, Witch Doctor, ended up in Melborne area a few years later. Paul Awalt had a NM30 built, Frog Legs, not long after bringing Stingray back to Annapolis.

These are great thanks! I use photobucket and load them to my account there and then paste in the img to the thread here, works well a bit more work though.

Any chance you have any photos of Green Jeans out of the water?

Curious to compare with Details.

Jeans is in her 3rd rig, this one is a year old Hall carbon, long story. 2nd keel and 3rd rudder I think. I can try to go to the YC and take a few.

Jeans is in her 3rd rig, this one is a year old Hall carbon, long story. 2nd keel and 3rd rudder I think. I can try to go to the YC and take a few.

That would be awesome, Would love to get a hold of the owners e-mail to chat with them.

Wasn't the Hotfoot 32 also a MORC design?

MORC had a max loa of 24' until the early 60s. Then it was extended to 30'. It remained at 30' until about 2000 or so, when it was extended again.

Just because a boat was under 30' didn't mean it was a MORC design. Generally it would have to show at least a little consideration of the rule.

Hotfoot 31 was shorted to the Hotfoot 30 to be a MORC boat. There might only be one of those (named X-S)?

Source: I've been curious about a Hotfoot 31 that is for sale and have read everything (which isn't much) that I can find about them on the internet. The Hotfoot 30/31 is a lot lighter than the other production MORC boats mentioned in this thread like the Olson 911S and S2 9.1.

I think there was also a MORC flavor of the Yankee 30 that was shortened a couple of inches.

Yes, X-S was a one off using the HF31 hull and deck molds. So more built for MORC, but not designed to MORC. But she fit into the rule fairly well. Kind of did a J/30 to J/29 thing with her. Chopped down freeboard and reduced cabin height, Less displacement and a bit more SA than HF31 and only 5'4" headroom. The HF31 is actually a pretty decent cruiser. 6'2" headroom or so. A fair bit faster than a J/30 especially in light air, but interior finish not as polished. Definitely on the light side at 4600 lb. D/L of 117 and SA/D of about 27, but being a frac kind of distorts that in comparison with a MH, Here is some data on X-S: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=917

IIRC, X-S was built for and sailed in the 1984 MORC regatta in SD. Not sure how they did, but I thought reasonably well. Not sure if she was officially scored since the boat was launched late and wasn't measured in time so sailed with a provisional rating, or so the guys from X-S told me years ago.

I took some photos of X-S a few years ago when she was unofficially on the market. Over the years, the OB was removed and a scoop was added,bringing her up to probably 32 feet. plus a keel shoe added. You can see where the original transom was. Personally, I think she looked better without it and I don't think the scoop helped much or at all. Some interesting rig mods. The mast tip can be pulled forward some 4 ft to help control downwind.

post-12572-0-76649000-1459906605_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-39145600-1459906618_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-76649000-1459906605_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-39145600-1459906618_thumb.jpg

Don't forget the Hawkfarm 28.

Hawkfarm was an IOR half ton.

yep, I think you're right. What was Moonshadow, or something like that?