• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
bjp

Production MORC boats

This one just missed the production mark by Islander not going through with the project, "Details" the Andrews 30.

We're in the process of a full restoration at the moment.

Should be a great family cruiser racer, we'll see. :)

Details%20reduced_zpsohbgy7ca.jpg

Details%20at%20MORC%20Internationals%201

Details%20at%20CalYC%20dock%20with%20Ear

Is this another safety restoration like the evelyn 32?

Nah just leave the 34 year old boat alone and take your family out sailing on it & wait for things to break. Sounds like a great idea..... :rolleyes:

just trying to figure out why there's a shortage of carbon fiber

Why don't you just say who you are instead of hiding behind a screen name??

Or better yet just stay out of an other wise positive & productive thread.

John, That would require Jocko having a set of balls, which he obviously is devoid of. His interests list him as the PHRF police, but I always thought that was Espo's job..........What gives?

just trying to figure out why there's a shortage of carbon fiber

So what are trying to say?

I always figured you were Jocko Johnnie..............

Not me, I have 1 alias and it's not Jocko

if I wanted wind this thread up I would do it so you know where it came from, like the Ev 32 thread.

What ever happened to WW?

DEAD!

He only comes out on specail occasions

This one just missed the production mark by Islander not going through with the project, "Details" the Andrews 30.

We're in the process of a full restoration at the moment.

Should be a great family cruiser racer, we'll see. :)

Details%20reduced_zpsohbgy7ca.jpg

Details%20at%20MORC%20Internationals%201

Details%20at%20CalYC%20dock%20with%20Ear

Excellent news. Great boat. Please be a good caretaker. Where will the boat live?

Where is SKIDOO ,she was always a favourite MORC design designed by Chuck Burns

BURNS 30

Burns 30 drawing on sailboatdata.com

Great boat. Not a MORC boat. More in the Santa Cruz mold. England.

Though you might like this, well on her way to looking new again...!

13835653_10208798690198848_1674256150_o_

Time to get cutting and grinding on some Stainless Steel for the floating Genoa Leads.

Won last night's race with a busted Checkstay. It was on the To-Do list, just didn't get to it in time.

post-30457-0-54570200-1469747743_thumb.jpg

Time to get cutting and grinding on some Stainless Steel for the floating Genoa Leads.

Won last night's race with a busted Checkstay. It was on the To-Do list, just didn't get to it in time.

You're overthinking the Genoa leads but the boat looks great

Why not just a friction ring on the sheet that goes up down, and another that goes in and out to barberhaul? Much less hardware and toe stubbing

You're overthinking the Genoa leads but the boat looks great

Why not just a friction ring on the sheet that goes up down, and another that goes in and out to barberhaul? Much less hardware and toe stubbing

Already have the trough with the Harken gear Will run a 6:1 under deckwith almost a 2:1 on the floating ring. Will keep the same height as car is moved.

Nice!

How was the integrity of the structure?

I'm sure it's very safe now ;)

The boat is very solid, structure was and is in great shape. Most of the glasswork on John's boat was related to deck core repair. Some glass was used to clean up keel bolt backing plate pockets (purely peace of mind and appearance) and some glass/bog to create a solid mating surface for the keel.

Beautiful boat with a very loving new owner who will no doubt be the boat's perfect steward.

Photos were loaded carelessly, start at page 10:

http://s375.photobucket.com/user/Tynaje/library/Andrews%2030?sort=3&page=1

Nice!

Yes it is, the floor of the boat being 2" thick & solid glass is a pretty big part of it. And yes John it came that way .... :rolleyes:

The boat is very solid, structure was and is in great shape. Most of the glasswork on John's boat was related to deck core repair. Some glass was used to clean up keel bolt backing plate pockets (purely peace of mind and appearance) and some glass/bog to create a solid mating surface for the keel.

Beautiful boat with a very loving new owner who will no doubt be the boat's perfect steward.

Beautiful work, Peter!

Where is your shop?

Beautiful work, Peter!

Where is your shop?

X 100 if you saw the boat up close when it arrived vs now you'd be amazed....!

Beautiful work, Peter!

Where is your shop?

Thank you for the compliment but I can take no credit for the boat. John, his dad Bill and friends did all the hard work, including 3 hours (if no traffic in PVD) travel time to and from the shop. I supplied the shop space and assistance from time to time.

The boat was painted by Yacht Coatings Pete Conary from Warren RI. https://www.facebook.com/YACHTCOATINGS/photos/a.231568090240172.63389.231459336917714/231568143573500/

The shop is in Bristol, former Ocean Scout Marine. A bit of a filthy dust factory.

Nice!

Yes it is, the floor of the boat being 2" thick & solid glass is a pretty big part of it. And yes John it came that way .... :rolleyes:

I am sure it did, I wouldn't have thought ant different :ph34r:

Very cool boat. I wish MORC had gained some traction here BITD - that rule seem to typeform a nice boat.

Very cool boat. I wish MORC had gained some traction here BITD - that rule seem to typeform a nice boat.

Yes. If design was to the typeform it had a fair hull, easily driven, moderate disp, modest SA, and usually adequate stability. Typically a bit faster than IOR of same LOA. In production form made nice weekend racer-cruisers... Back 'in the day' crews would sleep overnight on the boat during race weekends, usually a big party.

I was alway liked the Wavelength 24. Not so production, the Capo 26. Oh and then the Capo 30 is pure brilliance.

Love that boat in the Olson 911s version. All though the best two MORC boats I ever sailed were the N/M 26 "Easy Go" and the N/M 30 "Invincible". However the Andrews 26 may have been the best light air boat ever.
I ran into Easy Go two years ago in Cheboygan MI. Looks like the keel has been changed??attachicon.gifEasy Go.jpg

I was considering buying this boat back in summer of 2013 when it was for sale out of Ohio. It would have been a natural progression for me as my dad had sold the Andrews 30 the fall prior. I decided to buy a J/27 instead and don't have any regrets. Easy Go was a cool little boat though and I'm sure would have been fun.

Don't forget the Hawkfarm 28.

Hawkfarm was an IOR half ton.

yep, I think you're right. What was Moonshadow, or something like that?

Sorry about the late reply, but Tom Wylie's design "Moonshadow" was designed on my kitchen table. It was built to break the 100 hr mark in MORAs SF to San Diego race. Designed to be a maxi MORA boat to no particular rule. Interesting factoid: I blew 0.5 gram of cocaine into the nose area while the boat was being built. Fun times.

Don't forget the Hawkfarm 28.

Hawkfarm was an IOR half ton.

yep, I think you're right. What was Moonshadow, or something like that?

Sorry about the late reply, but Tom Wylie's design "Moonshadow" was designed on my kitchen table. It was built to break the 100 hr mark in MORAs SF to San Diego race. Designed to be a maxi MORA boat to no particular rule. Interesting factoid: I blew 0.5 gram of cocaine into the nose area while the boat was being built. Fun times.

Why is that "interesting"?

TBone how many boats have you built? Each build allways has it's unique stories. But maybe you wouldn't know that.

It would be "interesting" if blow were part of the layup schedule.

My understanding is that there was a shitload of Hobie Cats built in the late '70's built by a bunch of highly loaded characters.

Thanks guys, it was a tough job but the results are worth it. The boat came from CA to CT in November '15 and based on how dry it was (core wise) we decided it was worth a full rehab. We needed an affordable club race boat with room to overnight with 2 kids, a MORC 30 is a good fit.

Our first race is this coming weekend, fingers crossed. We still have lots to do but should be pretty ready by then.

I'll post some sailing pics later this week.

A pic from the test sail saturday to have a quick look at the rig.

8 knots of wind minimal backstay. (haven't built the chestays yet)

IMG_1195_zpsr94ubta6.jpg

This boat was 4 slips down from our Cal 27 pop top for many years in santa cruz. I did a couple wednesday night races on it when dave hodges was a partner in it I think. Anyway its a fast boat for its size as I recall was a bit tender as well in comparison to the cal and ior leadmine I was racing on at the time. I noticed earlier pictures the main had two reef points your beautiful new main has one.

Btw dave hodges a well know west coast sailmaker and probably could tell you a lot about how to make the boat go fast.

This boat was 4 slips down from our Cal 27 pop top for many years in santa cruz. I did a couple wednesday night races on it when dave hodges was a partner in it I think. Anyway its a fast boat for its size as I recall was a bit tender as well in comparison to the cal and ior leadmine I was racing on at the time. I noticed earlier pictures the main had two reef points your beautiful new main has one.

Btw dave hodges a well know west coast sailmaker and probably could tell you a lot about how to make the boat go fast.

Thanks for the info. I spoke to David last fall about the boat, he was cool & sent over some old MORC certs that were very helpful.

I'd imagine the boat will be on the tippy side, but considering the low average windspeed here it should be ok.

If we need 2 reefs the boat will not be leaving the dock....!

She looks great John. Well done.

--Matt

Thanks for the info. I spoke to David last fall about the boat, he was cool & sent over some old MORC certs that were very helpful.

I'd imagine the boat will be on the tippy side, but considering the low average windspeed here it should be ok.

That boat sounds perfect for where you are then. Glad you made contact with dave. Nice job on restarting its life.

yeah, tough day indeed, but your boat looked amazing. Sailing FIYC next weekend?

Thank you, yes we will be there, Trying to get some races in despite our VERY late launch this year.

Espo is shaking in his Italian loafers right now............

That's a very safe looking boat.

Espo doesn't give a shit about sailboat racing anymore, just bought another bike.

PHRF comm are a joke with what they let go on and how the rate boats

Espo doesn't give a shit about sailboat racing anymore, just bought another bike.

Stay on the bike

Stay on the bike

Rest day today, resume tomorrow

Looks great John! sweet boat!

Thank you, it was soooo much work! Nearly killed me. Feels great to bring back a former champion to the start line though.

Article on FP sounds like Bob Evelyn is alive and crewing on this boat? Didn't he pass away many years ago???

Bob is still kicking! Was great having him on the boat, he'll be back this weekend for Fisher's Island.

okay, my bad. I always thought that if Bob had had a marketing brother like Rod Johnstone did, Evelyn boats could have been a contender!

okay, my bad. I always thought that if Bob had had a marketing brother like Rod Johnstone did, Evelyn boats could have been a contender!

Formula?

It is quite safe at 7200 lbs it's very stable which is what I wanted to get my kids involved in sailing.

Hey John,

All ball breaking aside, the boat looks great, good luck with it and much success racing her.

I can not believe it weighs 7200lbs, that's sick.

John

Formula?

Contender with J-Boats.

It is quite safe at 7200 lbs it's very stable which is what I wanted to get my kids involved in sailing.

Hey John,

All ball breaking aside, the boat looks great, good luck with it and much success racing her.

John

Thanks John, it's very excting to have a boat again.

Especially now with 2 kids, really looking forward to getthing them out on the water.

Beleive it or not Details is actually that heavy. A big part of what helped the boat rate in MORC was its weight.

As it sits now the boat is 1k lbs heavier than a 30/30 GP.

Unfortunatley there was a good chunk of weight added in the restoration.

The boat was made over a male mold & had a lot of fairing compound on it (since it was intended to be a plug for production tooling).

When we removed the failing paint we had no choice but to add more fairing compound and re-fair the entire boat.

It just wasn't possible to get the old paint off without digging into the original fairing in spots. So we had to add more.

Good thing is the boat is very fair again now :-).

Hey John,

John

Thanks John, it's very excting to have a boat again.

Especially now with 2 kids, really looking forward to getthing them out on the water.

Beleive it or not Details is actually that heavy. A big part of what helped the boat rate in MORC was its weight.

As it sits now the boat is 1k lbs heavier than a 30/30 GP.

Unfortunatley there was a good chunk of weight added in the restoration.

The boat was made over a male mold & had a lot of fairing compound on it (since it was intended to be a plug for production tooling).

When we removed the failing paint we had no choice but to add more fairing compound and re-fair the entire boat.

It just wasn't possible to get the old paint off without digging into the original fairing in spots. So we had to add more.

Good thing is the boat is very fair again now :-).

Squalamax takes his kids out on the 29, unfortunately they can't be learning much :P

Here's a shot to give you an idea just how much fairing is on Details.

This is before we had to add more & re-fair, we did a number of test spots like this one and they are anywhere from 3-6mm.

Makes sense as this is a "sailing plug" and was going to be the Islander 30 a, which is the original reason I posted it in this thread.

It just missed out on being a production MORC boat....

IMG_0853%20copy_zps4trjiqfw.jpg[/url

Easy go was on the Clinton river (lake st clair) for a minute last season. I never saw it out on the water and haven't seen it this season.

Perfect Timing, Andrews 26 (#1?) is going thru a refit. Currently in a slip at Caralina Anchorage. Lots of good MORC boats wasting away.

Two reefs isn't for leaving the dock, it's for coming back!

Perfect Timing and Easy Go, both great boats. We had one race in the MORC North Americans in MDR on Perfect Timing in 5-6 knots of wind and had the 2nd fastest elapsed time on the course behind the Davidson 30 Star Dancer. But Easy Go was easily the best all around boat, possibly even better than the 30 foot Invincible.

Perfect Timing and Easy Go, both great boats. We had one race in the MORC North Americans in MDR on Perfect Timing in 5-6 knots of wind and had the 2nd fastest elapsed time on the course behind the Davidson 30 Star Dancer. But Easy Go was easily the best all around boat, possibly even better than the 30 foot Invincible.

I actually have an original paper copy of the Easy Go sailplan in my office, very cool! Had some photos around from when the keel was changed but can't seem to find them. Just happened to be in town when they were doing the work and stopped over to have a look.

Yes, a very nice boat. The various S2s designed for MORC are nice too.

No one has mentioned the Soverel 27? Wasn't Nitro an S27 that won the MORC championship a time or 2?

Soverel 26 won, and Soverel 30 won. AFAIK the 27 never won. They weren't fast for their rating. One raced in Tampa Bay briefly in PHRF, modified by removing the IB/saildrive and putting a small bulb on the keel. That boosted them up to mid pack.

Measured up this super cool Andrews 30 last night for sails, very cool boat. Amazing how different it is than mine....I have "stern envy" lol!

IMG_1308_zpsnmqwwv7p.jpg[/url]

Measured up this super cool Andrews 30 last night for sails, very cool boat. Amazing how different it is than mine....I have "stern envy" lol!

IMG_1308_zpsnmqwwv7p.jpg[/url]

What's it rate?

As I recall, the MORC Maxis rated in the 26-27 ft range. PHRF about low 90s to low 100s. They are a good bit faster for the LOA than same size IOR boats.

Awesome boat, bulb keel with over 6.5 feet of draft.

My "stern envy" is coming from this boat being almost 2 feet wider at the transom than mine with a narrower beam and waterline beam.

In another life without kids this one would have been mine....!