• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
bjp

Production MORC boats

Last sail of the season for Details. Digging a MORC hole in the water ;-)!

IMG_3247_zps3mjr07kx.jpg

Plenty curvy... gotta love the tumblehome.

IMG_1365_zpsqdmweoud.jpg

Have to ask... why didn't you open the tranny up?

Funny you ask about opening the transom. We discussed it a lot over the winter and decided not to for 2 reasons.

First being I have 2 small children (1 and 3 years old) and keeping them closed in the cockpit for now is a good thing...!!

Second is we didn't want to confuse people as to what the boat is. Details is a MORC division B design like the Santana 30/30 etc.

Almost all of the Division A boats regardless of designer were open transom, one of the few exceptions being the MH J 29.

Funny you ask about opening the transom. We discussed it a lot over the winter and decided not to for 2 reasons.

First being I have 2 small children (1 and 3 years old) and keeping them closed in the cockpit for now is a good thing...!!

Second is we didn't want to confuse people as to what the boat is. Details is a MORC division B design like the Santana 30/30 etc.

Almost all of the Division A boats regardless of designer were open transom, one of the few exceptions being the MH J 29.

Quite a few 30/30's went with open transoms:

P1010478_zpscaksl3pc.jpg

P1010479_zpsndjkeqiq.jpg

I've sailed on Details a number of times and when I saw it languishing in Sausalito last year I thought it would be cool to completely redo the boat with the open tranny. Understand the kid issues but it would have looked even better. The boat looks great and is a rue piece of MORC history.

-Snap

Measured up this super cool Andrews 30 last night for sails, very cool boat. Amazing how different it is than mine....I have "stern envy" lol!IMG_1308_zpsnmqwwv7p.jpg[/url]

Is that hoop apparatus on the boom for the spinnaker pole? If so, why not use a sleeve?

Measured up this super cool Andrews 30 last night for sails, very cool boat. Amazing how different it is than mine....I have "stern envy" lol!IMG_1308_zpsnmqwwv7p.jpg[/url]

Is that hoop apparatus on the boom for the spinnaker pole? If so, why not use a sleeve?

Eric,

Yup, that's for the spin pole. I did bow on an O30 that had it set up that way and liked it a lot. Did it on my Evelyn before this. My foredeck likes it this way too. Never considered the sleeve.

--Matt

I have cockpit envy!

post-30457-0-76448700-1476244404_thumb.jpg

At least one Capo26 was built with an open transom, comes in handy when you spill your pre-race Dark and Stormy. B)

Oh wait ^^^^^ there it is. :P

Eric,

Yup, that's for the spin pole. I did bow on an O30 that had it set up that way and liked it a lot. Did it on my Evelyn before this. My foredeck likes it this way too. Never considered the sleeve.

--Matt

I added the spin pole sleeve on my 27 and it has cleaned things up immensely and I don't have to listen to the pole go thump on the deck. Just a looks things I guess, both get the job done, big difference is with the sleeve you just shove it in and don't have to worry about locking in the inboard end. Also, doesn't it interfere with the he outhaul exiting on the stbd side of the boom or did you move it?

I added the spin pole sleeve on my 27 and it has cleaned things up immensely and I don't have to listen to the pole go thump on the deck. Just a looks things I guess, both get the job done, big difference is with the sleeve you just shove it in and don't have to worry about locking in the inboard end. Also, doesn't it interfere with the he outhaul exiting on the stbd side of the boom or did you move it?

I moved the outhaul cleat to the bottom of the boom inside the vang triangle.

Egon,

With the J29s and Project Mayhem how many other MORC boats do you have down there? Did Kelly ever replace his 911?

MORC fleet for Red Grant perhaps??

Egon,

With the J29s and Project Mayhem how many other MORC boats do you have down there? Did Kelly ever replace his 911?

Sailman,

Mayhem was totaled on the delivery to Annapolis back in the spring and Kelly never got a new boat. It's just me against the J29s now.

There are a bunch or MORC B boats that could have a decent class, but they aren't really raced. I wish someone would buy my Evelyn (26 OD) and Buzz Lightyear (25). Cheap boats to run and lots of fun.

--Matt

Egon,

I might make the trip for that!

Egon,

i'd bring my 9.1

Egon,

i'd bring my 9.1

You will get crushed! ;)

Egon,

i'd bring my 9.1

You will get crushed! ;)

perhaps....only one way to find out

I had posted that 911 ad in another thread with the comment that there is something screwy with it. The ad calls it a Pacific Boats built Ericson/Olson 911 which is incorrect in of itself, but then shows exterior pictures from at least two different boats, one of which is an Ericson built boat. The interior shot is of an Ericson built boat.

The boat for sale is probably a Pacific Boats built 911. The above is a bit OCD on my part, but If that were my boat for sale, I'd be pretty annoyed at the broker.

Donovan 30. 3300 pounds. 20 knots and 240 miles/day. Built in the 80's. Pretty amazing.

31655191079386543819.jpg

There were many "rules be damned, I'll be 1st to finish" designs that were 29.99 feet long and claim to be designed to the MORC rule, but in fact paid no attention to it. This is an example of one of those. I would say this is not a MORC typeform.

may not be a MORC type form. but it is a bloody cool boat. fits in with todays "Fast" boats. maybe a newer keel and this should be the TPs at their game?!?!?!??

Another Capo 26 comes to town!  Closed transom, inboard engine, probably the shorter rig, original foils.  Heard it rates 159.  

9B839CF1-C570-4C85-88A6-F06C02F95185.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Mulligan said:

Another Capo 26 comes to town!  Closed transom, inboard engine, probably the shorter rig, original foils.  Heard it rates 159.  

9B839CF1-C570-4C85-88A6-F06C02F95185.jpeg

In ECSA it would be 171

14 minutes ago, jesposito said:

In ECSA it would be 171

Scooter rates 135.  Open transom, tall rig, updated foils, outboard engine. 

C & C 30 Mk 1 with a Peterson type rudder and keel. Won the Internationals and another in the NW was very successful.