Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Airwick

Why is there no thread about this BigKanu "thing"?

This is definitely an interesting design, it's seriously outside the box (like half way around the block from the box): anyone know the scoop?

I'm not sure what to think, it looks like it was designed mostly by feel but it seems to be done with much higher standards the infamous Flyin'Hawayan or Tincan...

Lots of pics here: https://www.facebook.com/BigKanu-641266259314479/

12342614_10153379899938940_6112723195377

Was hoping for flyin Hawaiian redux. Clearly a better outcome here but still lots of potential. Where is this fine vessel?

Just another sign of the decline and soon to fail Sailinganarchy.com. When the Milenium Falcon class tri-moron has not already been launched but sailed and there is not at least 500 posts something is very wrong with this website.

I blame BJ Porter.

This is definitely an interesting design, it's seriously outside the box (like half way around the block from the box): anyone know the scoop?

I'm not sure what to think, it looks like it was designed mostly by feel but it seems to be done with much higher standards the infamous Flyin'Hawayan or Tincan...

Lots of pics here: https://www.facebook.com/BigKanu-641266259314479/

12342614_10153379899938940_6112723195377

One of the comments:

BigKanu Jesus fuck me dead. Sea trials should be renamed sea tribulations. ....another sleepless night ahead..as we limp towards Permuteran in Bali, with fucked fuel filters, and prop sounds like we caught another something.

Fucking fisherman in Indo scatter n

ets like like Loatian cluster bombs, in pursuit of fish so infantile, that breed stock are surely just about over.

Not another grovel in the engine room filters, pehlleeese.

We bought sly diesel...,1000/litres please, via a nighttime siphon hose to out old waterworld freighter neighbours. Caaarnts of course had shit fuel.

Ever looked down the bottom of an Indo coffee cup? Their fuel tanks are the same.

How the fuck ya get chook feathers in ya fuel bowl is , well, only something Indonesia can provide.

I'm not sure but I think that translates to "the fuel we stole sucked!"

What's it rate?

Keep your friends close .

Keep your life ring closer!

12047100_830931980347905_477917875249105

Keep safe BOSS!

Just another sign of the decline and soon to fail Sailinganarchy.com. When the Milenium Falcon class tri-moron has not already been launched but sailed and there is not at least 500 posts something is very wrong with this website.

I blame BJ Porter.

you mean the ship that made the kessle run in 12 parsecs??

There's a picture of the single rutter on there somewhere, it's pretty small and very low aspect ratio (to keep the draft down)

I like the fact that it has an "offspring" tender, that's a nice touch!

Here's the rutter:

12072620_837520133022423_111354112291107

It's a bit like FH meets Mad Max with a pinch of Waterworld

Don't forget tin can.... Those welds look suspiciously familiar. ;):rolleyes:

Big Punt 7: Is it true, that a sloppy traditional dhow sail provide almost double the driving power of a sail on a vertical mast? Does a sail and rig that rotate together, suspended in an "A" frame,overcome the problem of shifting the sail around the stub mast of a dhow or lanteen canoe, to go about, or will it all go horribly wrong? Will this sail and rig not put heavy overturning motion on the smaller than usual outriggers, used in traditional Asian sailing canoes?

Errrr....

What could possibly go wrong?

At least it will be more stable upside down than right side up!

Wtf is the round hole above the Rutter? Escape hatch.

Underwater viewing windows.

did they really recycle Cell Towers as masts?

that is just the most heinously ugly abortion i've ever seen. I've taken shits after iron manning offshore races that had more grace than that thing.

Looks like this boat may have eaten a pontoon boat at some point.

1274455_915869591854143_2599617061415193

I literally thought a hurricane had dumped it there. What a lemon.

At least Big Kanu is metal so it ought to have the grace to sink when it's gunboated. Oops, I mean abandoned.

My 6 year old son just saw it. Loved it, and charged off to make a better version in Lego.

Still wondering how it came from this:

perspective-04-small-1.jpg

to this:

10633386_641277319313373_223217090240758

Even the bottom drawing is better than the actual result.

Are there any interior pics anywhere?? For those of us that are Facebook challenged??

It looked cool in the aerial view, so I wondered why all the hate. But the part the water sees? Just hideous.

It looked cool in the aerial view, so I wondered why all the hate. But the part the water sees? Just hideous.

It actually would make a fine powerboat for cruising the lagoons and archipelagos. I just don't see the sailing performance and stability making the rig of much use.

Can someone post a photo of it with sails up, please. I want to see how that works....but I suspect it might not!

I looked back a year and a half in the fb page, and didn't see any pictures of the sail up or even bent on to the spars.

Which is probably the point of his yammering about stolen fuel.

From this web page:

Owner Rod, deeply passionate about all things old Asia, hopes the BigKANU makes more waves in the West, than the boat’s knife blade hull, inviting cruisers to revisit the wisdom of the traditional Asiatic fisherman. At the same time, even in the most exotic parts of equatorial Asia, the BigKANU promises to confront and compliment bemused village fisherman, with the very best of green-tec, expedition design. Rod, (trybrid@gmail.com) will be welcoming the curious and adventurous aboard in late 2015.

From this web page:

Owner Rod, deeply passionate about all things old Asia, hopes the BigKANU makes more waves in the West, than the boats knife blade hull, inviting cruisers to revisit the wisdom of the traditional Asiatic fisherman. At the same time, even in the most exotic parts of equatorial Asia, the BigKANU promises to confront and compliment bemused village fisherman, with the very best of green-tec, expedition design. Rod, (trybrid@gmail.com) will be welcoming the curious and adventurous aboard in late 2015.

The boat does copy many aspects of the Indonesian double-outrigger native boats. But imo there's a lack of naval architecture needed to make it safe and functional as a sailing vessel. Probably fine as a motor boat.

The inside is pretty too!

12065522_837522296355540_334738534798869

All things considered, that's not half bad from the inside. I expected far stranger, as in disco balls, pinatas, shag carpet, etc.

From this web page:

Owner Rod, deeply passionate about all things old Asia, hopes the BigKANU makes more waves in the West, than the boat’s knife blade hull, inviting cruisers to revisit the wisdom of the traditional Asiatic fisherman. At the same time, even in the most exotic parts of equatorial Asia, the BigKANU promises to confront and compliment bemused village fisherman, with the very best of green-tec, expedition design. Rod, (trybrid@gmail.com) will be welcoming the curious and adventurous aboard in late 2015.

No Mention of "sailing"; calls it a motorboat....

What wonderful shitheads you all are. Most of you can't afford or even have the guts to take a 10 foot dinghy for a row around the duck pond yet you have all of the means needed to dis someone who is doing what you bastards are too fucking scared to even consider.

What wonderful shitheads you all are. Most of you can't afford or even have the guts to take a 10 foot dinghy for a row around the duck pond yet you have all of the means needed to dis someone who is doing what you bastards are too fucking scared to even consider.

That's not true. I have considered feeding a pontoon boat to a big trimaran.

Well, that was inspirational. I'm going down to the beach and shoot some clams.

...yet you have all of the means needed to dis someone who is doing what you bastards are too fucking scared to even consider.

Have you only just worked that out?

Mind you the internet mocking mob is scarcely an SA only phenomenum.

That rig looks a small bit dodgy.

I saw the video of how it's supposed to work. I can get my head around it, but why would you possibly want a rig that is that over complicated?

That rig looks a small bit dodgy.

I saw the video of how it's supposed to work. I can get my head around it, but why would you possibly want a rig that is that over complicated?

And that makes you hope the whole aluminium lateen construction doesn't drop on your head.

Here's the rutter:

12072620_837520133022423_111354112291107

XFLOW results call for vortex generators on the trailing edge...impressive!

The owner's name is Rod? As in Hot Rod? Looking at the similarities of the "rig" between the Hawaiian and Kanu. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Brothers from another mother separated at birth?

. I'm going down to the beach and shoot some clams.

Make sure you have enough gun. They charge when they're wounded.

Now it just needs a sail (or a large tarp might do...)

11707369_918104374963998_198824336942415

I think it needs a couple more turns on the port inboard aft starboard D1. Or perhaps it might be the other one....

We traded money for common sense. Care to bet on who got the better deal?

i would call it the worlds first pentamaran.

but i think it must be a scale model.......or the rabbit in the picture is the worlds largest.post-38780-0-56067700-1458439188_thumb.jpeg

It's Easter. Don't you have a giant bunny on your boat? Heathen.

I was gonna ask if it was built in Indo... then i found the engineer's pic.

To me, it all makes sense now. Sail on.. or motor... or whatever

1510596_916904278417341_3868196129570241

I am running a large project in Indo.. they're really good people to work with and its an amazing country. Jakarta rocks.

I am running a large project in Indo.. they're really good people to work with and its an amazing country. Jakarta rocks.

....was someone holding a gun to yer head when you typed this? :huh:

....was someone holding a gun to yer head when you typed this? :huh:

I haven't been there, but I suspect they're hard working and do a decent job. I think the issues with the tri are related to the owner/designer having a case of Dunning-Kruger.

I found this to try to see what he was getting at with the rig. It's a similar looking rig on a Hobie

Here's a slide show of what looks like that same Hobie rig being setup:

The more I read about this guy, the more I am inspired.

He's building a cool looking boat for what I'm imagining is the same cost as a suburban California home.

He's living in the tropics paying a crew whatever and getting to be a big shot. In a city of 2.7M it seems likely he could find some skilled people for fairly reasonable, esp. to western eyes. The guys building it get to work on a heck of a project. It'd be cool to be a welder on that project.

When he's done, if it works, he'll be able to take 10 folks out at probably about $200/night on little sailing cruises around tropical islands. Probably enough to sustain him until the end of his days. Maybe it's all motor, like the Caribbean tall ship cruises, but whatever. I can think of worse vacations than spending $1400 island hopping in Indonesia on some wacky trimaran for a week.

I wonder who his architect is, or who designed it. If it was him, I'd be a bit more leery,

Maybe there is something to the rig http://proafile.com/archive/article/rig_options_crab_claw

Here's a little more on the guy. Looks like managing projects and tourism is his thing, and he's familiar with the area: http://roddavis.org/rodsblog/rod-davis-the-australien-abroad/

Here's the rutter:

XFLOW results call for vortex generators on the trailing edge...impressive!

I would imagine that you would have to be running the prop at all times, to get any steerage at all

The more I read about this guy, the more I am inspired.

He's building a cool looking boat for what I'm imagining is the same cost as a suburban California home.

He's living in the tropics paying a crew whatever and getting to be a big shot. In a city of 2.7M it seems likely he could find some skilled people for fairly reasonable, esp. to western eyes. The guys building it get to work on a heck of a project. It'd be cool to be a welder on that project.

When he's done, if it works, he'll be able to take 10 folks out at probably about $200/night on little sailing cruises around tropical islands. Probably enough to sustain him until the end of his days. Maybe it's all motor, like the Caribbean tall ship cruises, but whatever. I can think of worse vacations than spending $1400 island hopping in Indonesia on some wacky trimaran for a week.

I wonder who his architect is, or who designed it. If it was him, I'd be a bit more leery,

Maybe there is something to the rig http://proafile.com/archive/article/rig_options_crab_claw

Here's a little more on the guy. Looks like managing projects and tourism is his thing, and he's familiar with the area: http://roddavis.org/rodsblog/rod-davis-the-australien-abroad/

I think he designed it himself. His weight calculation appears to have been way off and the boat floats much lower, necessitating extensions to the stern and part of the foredeck raised. And he had to splice several feet into the middle of the Amas. The rig looks pretty useless and problematic. The spreaders are just but-welded to the masts, and will probably chafe the sail. The rudder is probably too small to be effective under sail. I haven't seen a business plan, but I have a hunch it's based on a lot of wishful thinking. IMO, its a Flyin' Hawaiian on a bigger budget.

On a positive note, he's spending his own money, employing local workers, and having a good time. Credit for that.

It seems he started with a fairly well know NA firm in Australia or NZ who borrrowed heavily from Nigel Irens power tris. They had a nice 3d model started but I thing Rod took that and wandered off into the woods on the design a bit. Won't be the last time this sort of de-railment happens.

Not a so bad design to motor around a little in shallow, protected waters and feed rum drinks to tourists. The inside looks like a floating bar already.

It seems he started with a fairly well know NA firm in Australia or NZ who borrrowed heavily from Nigel Irens power tris. They had a nice 3d model started but I thing Rod took that and wandered off into the woods on the design a bit. Won't be the last time this sort of de-railment happens.

I have sort of an idea of how that happens. If similar, I've worked with a guy like that before. Not a pretty thing to happen, really.

Dudes.

Radical works.

See my www.bigkanu.com

See my www.bigkanu.com

Dudes.

Radical works.

See my www.bigkanu.com

See my www.bigkanu.com

Fuck off and show us your wife or girlfriends' tits.

Dudes.

Radical works.

See my www.bigkanu.com

See my www.bigkanu.com

Fuck off and show us your wife or girlfriends' tits.

no beating around the bush here

We're A-ok with bush pics!

(just as long as there's no heifers rumbling through......TALKIN' TO YOU AMRO!!)