• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Guitar

Treasure Hunt

Don't know if any remember my posts of hunting for the Forrest Fenn treasure. Old guy in New Mexico hid a chest full of gold and gems.

treasure-chest.jpg

Anyway, I went off the deep end on this and became obsessed, six 2,000 mile trips (or was it seven) two solo as I ran out of family and friends that wanted to go. Obviously I thought I was on the right track. The treasure is hidden somewhere in the Rockies north of Santa Fe. When I mean north, I mean all the way north until the Rockies come to an end.

The poem.

As I have gone alone in there

And with my treasures bold,

I can keep my secret where,

And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt

And take it in the canyon down,

Not far, but too far to walk.

Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,

The end is ever drawing nigh;

There’ll be no paddle up your creek,

Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,

Look quickly down, your quest to cease,

But tarry scant with marvel gaze,

Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go

And leave my trove for all to seek?

The answers I already know,

I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,

Your effort will be worth the cold.

If you are brave and in the wood

I give you title to the gold.

Just to bring you up to speed the "where the warm waters halt" was described as not a structure like a dam.

So my research pointed me to northern NM, just over the state line around Farmington. Some argue that the area is not "in" the Rockies but I didn't let that deter me.

Found a river that had an appropreately named lake to start at and I'll give you my answers to the poem so you can decide.

Forrest states that you need a good map and I found one that only a few places online had it posted, it shows the names of fishing holes (he is an avid fisherman). He states that if you can't figure the first clue out you are lost and that it is so easy a child could figure it out.

So, warm waters halt; just above the "put in" is an area called "kiddie pool". We all know that you don't put little ones in a cold pool, you warm the water for them. Once of age they can play in the big kids pool which has colder water.

"Too far to walk" was because he wanted you on the other side of the river, you could walk there but it was miles to cross a bridge and come back up.

"Put in below the home of Brown" was pretty straight forward, look for a put in for launching a boat or raft. Check, this location had one just below Kiddie Pool and the house of Brown was a fishing hole that had thousands of Brown trout, the highest concentration in the whole river system.

"From there it’s no place for the meek," you will be tasked later.

"The end is ever drawing nigh;" fishing hole name again, "Death Row"

Just past Death Row, on the far side of the river is a dry creek.

"There’ll be no paddle up your creek,

Just heavy loads and water high." I took this clue as pulling your boat out of the water, above water line.

"If you’ve been wise and found the blaze," now this is the tough one but while walking the trail alongside the river I found this between Death Row and the dry creek.

Blaze%20sm.jpg

Now looking quickly down you see a big rock extending out from the shoreline and under that rock is a large cave-like opening. This is where I thought the treasure chest to be.

Nada. Metal detector didn't pick up any signal. I dove in 40° water (no shirt, short john pants) with a mask on to take a look, nada, too dark. GoPro Hero 4 nada, too dark.

So I gave up.

Great adventure, went with my brother, brother-in-law, again with BIL and SIL and wife. Funny story was I stayed and the same little motor lodge each trip and when with my bro and BIL we shared a room. The guy behind the desk was beginning to look at me weird after about the fourth trip.

Moab was in the loop so had a good time going through there, seeing the parks and views along the way.

A coworker was big into last year, found the remains of some old cabin by the name of Brown and canoed some mountain stream, searching for the "blaze" (a strand of bright red autumn aspen trees) but found nada, like everyone else. He enjoyed getting outdoors, now he's neck to brewing microbrews.

Just in case anyone is interested, I have a copy of "The Thrill of the Chase" for sale.