• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
IStream

Origami Boat Thread

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

Meanwhile, many 30-year-old Bob boats sell for more than their original purchase price.

Inflation...and it cuts both ways. A Brent Swain Frankendumpster that cost $20K to build 30 years ago, if selling for $30K today is selling for less than it costs.

But Brent isn't bright enough to figure that out.

3 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Inflation...and it cuts both ways. A Brent Swain Frankendumpster that cost $20K to build 30 years ago, if selling for $30K today is selling for less than it costs.

Not only inflation.  Some wait years for the right boat and will pay whatever it takes to snap it up.  I've lost a few opportunities in the past couple years that went for more than the asking price.  Brent boats and common production boats don't do that.

5 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Any Frankendumpster that sells for $30K probably cost more than that to build, without even accounting for labor and overhead.

I get paid for what I do. I probably made more this summer than Brent did. I can draw a passable boat in CAD in 20 minutes. Brent hasn't drawn one in 20 years. 

Brent would't know a fair hull if it sailed up and dropped anchor in his cockpit. 

To copy Bob, 

Brent can't do this:

img5.JPG

Or this 

img2.jpg

Or this...

Capture1.JPG

Or any of this. 

Capture.JPG

img1.jpg

render5.JPG

3 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:
6 hours ago, Brent Swain said:

With the market flooded with stock plastic boats ,for less than the cost of materials , and advice from people with many miles and decades of hands on   building, and cruising experience ,wiling to do `Consulting`for free ,this looks like the equivalent of training someone to be a typewriter repair man, or a  Newfie cod fisherman.

This is a disgustingly low blow.  Don't drag a nice, talented kid into murk and mud of your life.

You really expect better from Brent?

6 minutes ago, willp14335 said:

img5.JPG

img2.jpg

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

img1.jpg

render5.JPG

Too bad you aren't allowed to post your school work...

Very nice work Will. OK, the flag on the tug/trawler is a bit small and the daggerboard on the cat is a bit too ripply. But you're young still. 

Our boat in Panama last year - don't have too many shots of her sailing.

597047ef80caf_ceilydh(1of1).thumb.jpg.68c4753348c736b022b7db85ece9e1c3.jpg

7 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Feral hogs and wild boars are 2 different things.  I have only eaten wild boar, I can't speak for feral pigs.

If we're talking about Europe I'd agree with you. Are wild boars native to the Americas though, or were they introduced? I honestly don't know (and am too lazy to google it).

It doesn't take many generations for feral pigs to revert to their ancestral state, I can say. Maybe not as big as that 1000+ pound monster but well over 2.4m long when hung vertically. I've seen the photos.

FKT

7 hours ago, Brent Swain said:

I have noticed,  that those who are useless at manipulating tools and materials, tend to  become over specialized at manipulating people.

I'm surprised you've noticed that. I didn't think you'd have a mirror inside that old boat of yours. Because, God knows (and so do we) that you're bloody useless at manipulating tools & materials, and have conned a few poor people out of their money.

Bob's got you beaten hollow on boat design. That's a fact that obviously sticks in your throat but it's a fact regardless. You're a one trick monkey and that trick is pretty old these days.

I can't design boats but I most certainly can build things. All sorts of things to levels of precision you don't even have the ability to measure. Here's a few pix of an aluminium bronze stern bearing out of a 100+ year old steel sailboat being bored out & fitted with new bronze bearing sleeves on my baby horizontal boring mill. I can bore holes to tolerances of 5 microns if I have to. Ask MikeJohns if you don't believe me.

FKT

HBM2.jpg

HBM4.jpg

HBM5.jpg

HBM7.jpg

Impressive machine work FKT. I think you and Panope would have fun hanging out together.

Nice post Will. I had not seen some of those drawings. You are most certainly correct,  BS can't do that and will never be able to do that. You were a very valuable part of a boat design/build team this summer and for a rookie you could not have done better.  If you had been a seasoned veteran you probably could not have done more. You will be sorely missed at the yard. I heard that more than once today.

6 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I plan on going there soon.  I have a friend that has a flat in Wola, right next to the cemetery there,  I will see when I can visit her and I will let you know when I have a plan.  My friend used to live in Mokotów , there is a Korean restaurant there that I really liked.  I have another friend that lives across the river in Praqa.

So I can show you that we eat beef in Poland /me, actually to much ;) / we've got some polish premium meat, south american, Wagyū. We must only choose the kitchen - Polish? Italian? Thai? Japanese /not necessary sushi ;) / French? American? Fusion? Bistro? À la carte? Street food? You can have more than decent steak 24/7 in Warsaw. Only our Michelin star restaurants are out of question - both have some free tables somewhere in midwinter I'm afraid ;)

9 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

9 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I would say on average about $50-$60.00 for 2 people.

I must visit, Soaky soon Bob, in Warsaw /and other big cities/ it's minimum in decent bistro for two people with two glasses of house wine - rather casual type restaurant.

Decent polish steak starts from $25 and sky is the limit if you like some best class Wagyū, best Angus can be $100-150 in many places.

So yesterday I made for me and my Wife some tatar /raw beef sirloin chopped very fine with some pickles, mushrooms, onion, fresh piper, row yolk and a bit of anchois, veal in rosemary marinate, sweet potatoes and vinaigrette salad plus some grate, organic, chilean red wine and fresh coconut for her. Food was great but she was pissed as I've used all our kitchen utensils and pots. 3 dishwasher cycles, just as usual ;)

1 hour ago, Yigael said:

So I can show you that we eat beef in Poland /me, actually to much ;) / we've got some polish premium meat, south american, Wagyū. We must only choose the kitchen - Polish? Italian? Thai? Japanese /not necessary sushi ;) / French? American? Fusion? Bistro? À la carte? Street food? You can have more than decent steak 24/7 in Warsaw. Only our Michelin star restaurants are out of question - both have some free tables somewhere in midwinter I'm afraid ;)

I spent a few days in Warsaw several years ago. I really loved the city. The food was great.

2 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I spent a few days in Warsaw several years ago. I really loved the city. The food was great.

And all was better day by day. And now... its sad

56 minutes ago, Yigael said:

I must visit, Soaky soon Bob, in Warsaw /and other big cities/ it's minimum in decent bistro for two people with two glasses of house wine - rather casual type restaurant.

Decent polish steak starts from $25 and sky is the limit if you like some best class Wagyū, best Angus can be $100-150 in many places.

So yesterday I made for me and my Wife some tatar /raw beef sirloin chopped very fine with some pickles, mushrooms, onion, fresh piper, row yolk and a bit of anchois, veal in rosemary marinate, sweet potatoes and vinaigrette salad plus some grate, organic, chilean red wine and fresh coconut for her. Food was great but she was pissed as I've used all our kitchen utensils and pots. 3 dishwasher cycles, just as usual ;)

Yigael, are you native to Warsaw?  In my experience, Warsaw isn't so much different than other capitol cities around the world.  Big, often expensive, many people from other countries, and you can find almost anything you need or want there.  Outside of the big cities, as you know, life in Poland is often hard, money is tight, shopping is limited, and luxuries are few.  Where I live in a small town of 18,00 people, we are lucky because of the huge influx of Germans daily coming from as far as Berlin to spend their euros on cigarettes, food, alcohol, and gas, all of which are significantly cheaper here than they are in Germany.  In my town we probably have more nice Mercedes, and BMW cars owned by locals than any other similar sized town in Poland.  The economic impact of all that German money is huge in my little town.  Except for a few, small chain food stores, all of the shops and businesses in my town are locally owned and the nearest shopping mall is 30 miles away.  They finally built a McDonald's here about 4 years ago the only chain restaurant in town, The food is almost half the price there compared to the one across the river in Germany; a Big Mac meal costs about $5.00 here as opposed to almost $9.00 across the river.

Quite honestly, one of the reasons I live here besides the intelligent and beautiful Polish women, is the attraction of the more simple lifestyle here because of the lack of money.  I could barely live on my monthly VA disability compensation in the US, here because of the dollar to złoty exchange rate, I am almost wealthy  People walk all over town, mothers and fathers are on the streets pushing babies in strollers year round, and simple, free or low cost activities such as picking mushrooms in the forest or fishing in the local lakes and rivers are very popular.  People here don't go to restaurants to eat very often unless it is a small informal place with inexpensive, home style, Polish dishes; soup, kielbasa, pork shoulder, pierogi, etc.  They usually offer a variety of daily specials for $4.00-$5.00, homemade pierogi can be had for about $.50 each.  Some of the wealthier locals eat in the restaurant in my building, but the majority of the customers are Germans. It is slowly changing as Polish people are adopting the conspicuous consumption habits of the wealthier countries in Europe and unfortunately it isn't too unusual to see overweight children here now, but especially in the rural areas, I imagine life isn't too different than it was 50 years ago.  Except everybody has a mobile phone nowadays.

Yigael, you and your wife are welcome to visit anytime and I'll treat you to dinner downstairs and they don't mind if I bring my own wine.  The Warsaw to Berlin express train stops several times a day, in a small town about 15 km from here, it takes about 4 1/2 hours.  Although the autostrada from Warsaw goes right past my town, with the tolls and fuel cost, I think the train is easier and maybe even a little cheaper, especially for one or two people.  I get a 30% 'senior' discount, so for me it's perfect.  There isn't much else to do here though, although Berlin is only 90 km away.  By the way, I know Polish people love tatar but I won't eat it, I hate eat raw onions on anything.  I do like carpaccio though, Aneta downstairs makes it very well with Argentinian beef. 

44 minutes ago, Yigael said:

And all was better day by day. And now... its sad

Without getting too political - what's going on? Just explain the state of affairs in terms of sausage.

Just now, smackdaddy said:

Without getting too political - what's going on? Just explain the state of affairs in terms of sausage.

Think; A Polish Trump.  Only worse.

4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'm surprised you've noticed that. I didn't think you'd have a mirror inside that old boat of yours. Because, God knows (and so do we) that you're bloody useless at manipulating tools & materials, and have conned a few poor people out of their money.

Bob's got you beaten hollow on boat design. That's a fact that obviously sticks in your throat but it's a fact regardless. You're a one trick monkey and that trick is pretty old these days.

I can't design boats but I most certainly can build things. All sorts of things to levels of precision you don't even have the ability to measure. Here's a few pix of an aluminium bronze stern bearing out of a 100+ year old steel sailboat being bored out & fitted with new bronze bearing sleeves on my baby horizontal boring mill. I can bore holes to tolerances of 5 microns if I have to. Ask MikeJohns if you don't believe me.

FKT

Brent could never be in the league of true workmanship. I shudder at the thought of him trying to do precision work. He's the worst steel fabricator and welder that I've ever seen, and I've seen some bad ones.

Brent collects ideas from others, pretends they are his own. and makes up a lot of fiction to bathe in the glory of sheep. If a sheep doesn't adulate him he moves to character assassination and his other sheep are expected to back him up.

It's good to hear that on the yahoo site he's being called out on the BS about build time. As one person there posted recently;  Brent leaves once the easy part is done. 

Bob's got him beaten on boat design and persistence. Normally BS just grinds his victims to silence through endless cycles of posting falsehoods.

6 hours ago, willp14335 said:

I get paid for what I do. I probably made more this summer than Brent did. I can draw a passable boat in CAD in 20 minutes. Brent hasn't drawn one in 20 years. 

Brent would't know a fair hull if it sailed up and dropped anchor in his cockpit. 

To copy Bob, 

Brent can't do this:

img5.JPG

Or this 

img2.jpg

Or this...

Capture1.JPG

Or any of this. 

Capture.JPG

img1.jpg

render5.JPG

Funny thing is, I can't do any of that. I don't have the skills or experience. I wouldn't call you a loser or con man for that...

Good luck in life, hope you don't get a bad BS type infection in yours

40 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

Yigael, are you native to Warsaw?  

I was born here ;) On Prague, on the right bank. I know the differences, but you can believe me - that country changed a lot since '89. A lot. With all the benefits and some minuses to ofc.

I, can visit you on our way to Berlin, I'll head on our "autostrada" instead of plane, it's not cheap for many people unfortunately, but with my Land Rover on it's lifted suspension and 37 inch tyres let's not talk bout the costs, pushed flat on motorway if somebody is brave/stupid enough it'll drink 28 liters of diesel per 100 km ;) Fortunately going 120 km/h it'll drink 15 ;)

PS You don't need to put onion to tatar - it's up to you, she people take only pickles and mushrooms, many can't stand anchois. 

20 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

As Soaky said. Worse. At the moment I'm going to the parliament building protest against destroying our Supreme Court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/thousands-in-poland-protest-government-moves-on-judiciary/2017/07/16/f6d18e06-6a3b-11e7-abbc-a53480672286_story.html?utm_term=.a9d337192261

1 hour ago, Yigael said:

As Soaky said. Worse. At the moment I'm going to the parliament building protest against destroying our Supreme Court.

+ 1000! 

I have been in Poland some few times, since end of 1970-ies. Was in Warsaw new year 89/90 - that was something! Arriving mid Dec 1989, regulations and all, and then leaving in Jan 1990 with very few regulations.  And then 1990-ies ...

To see this now being destroyed, sad is too weak a word.

//J

2 hours ago, Yigael said:

PS You don't need to put onion to tatar - it's up to you, she people take only pickles and mushrooms, many can't stand anchois. 

Some people Soaky. Some ofc. ;)

2 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

Brent leaves once the easy part is done. 

Mike:

I have noticed that. BS logs on, takes a few semi cohenerant, vacuous swipes and then runs for cover when someome replies with reality.

He's a runner, not a fighter.

46 minutes ago, Jaramaz said:

+ 1000! 

I have been in Poland some few times, since end of 1970-ies. Was in Warsaw new year 89/90 - that was something! Arriving mid Dec 1989, regulations and all, and then leaving in Jan 1990 with very few regulations.  And then 1990-ies ...

To see this now being destroyed, sad is too weak a word.

//J

Thanks, mate! Maybe not all is lost yet. The hope dies in the very end...

15 hours ago, Whisper said:

You appear very stressed in your suburban world.

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

In other emusical news, My buddy has Sam Cutler coming over for lunch and to pick up some concert tickets for a festival. 

I was invited over but I can't make it, I'm stepping masts...

I hope they have a good time and don't get too whacked out!

Nice guitar, dude 

IMG_4881.JPG

Thanks Beer. That has been my downstairs "go to" ax for about 5 years now. If it's good enough for Elvis it's good enough for me. This one came out of the Gibson custom shop and is a very nice example of the model. Stop by and play it some time.

1 hour ago, Yigael said:

Some people Soaky. Some ofc. ;)

3 hours ago, Yigael said:

I was born here ;) On Prague, on the right bank. I know the differences, but you can believe me - that country changed a lot since '89. A lot. With all the benefits and some minuses to ofc.

I, can visit you on our way to Berlin, I'll head on our "autostrada" instead of plane, it's not cheap for many people unfortunately, but with my Land Rover on it's lifted suspension and 37 inch tyres let's not talk bout the costs, pushed flat on motorway if somebody is brave/stupid enough it'll drink 28 liters of diesel per 100 km ;) Fortunately going 120 km/h it'll drink 15 ;)

I love anchovies!   

My little Mitsubishi Pajero (4x4) with its mighty 1.9 liter motor gets about 6-7 l/km at 120km/h, which is also just below its maximum speed.  The fastest I have driven it is 130 km/h and I wouldn't want to go any faster, it is an off road vehicle, not a highway cruiser.  I would rather spend my money on good food and wine!   ;)    On typical Polish roads a Land Rover is a good choice as well, and how else will you find the best places for mushrooms in the forest!  My best friend has a Range Rover with a twin turbo diesel.  On the highway at 200km/h you can almost see the needle on the fuel gauge go down as you watch it.

Next time you head to Berlin, just get off at the last exit before the border and you are 10 minutes from my place.

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If we're talking about Europe I'd agree with you. Are wild boars native to the Americas though, or were they introduced? I honestly don't know (and am too lazy to google it).

It doesn't take many generations for feral pigs to revert to their ancestral state, I can say. Maybe not as big as that 1000+ pound monster but well over 2.4m long when hung vertically. I've seen the photos.

FKT

That 1K Lb. hog is a fake - I've seen it debunked somewhere on the Interweb. Apparently 800 Lbs is freakishly large for them.

I dunno if wild boar are native to N.A. but the feral hogs effectively become them as you note.

Nice drawings, WillP. You're right, BS can't do that. Actually, he can't do much at all except sit on the mudflat collecting the dole and make up self-aggrandizing stories. That's the endgame in the life path he chose for himself. You've chosen a better path.

4 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I thought you got that out of your systems with Jaruzelski

Native American horses went extinct during the Ice Age. Current horses, cattle, sheep, and pigs  all were introduced by Europeans. Largest domesticated animal native to the Americas is the Llama.  I don't know about goats. 

Native crops brought back to Europe include corn and potato.

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That's the endgame in the life path he chose for himself. You've chosen a better path.

That could be said to be damning with faint praise. :D

I think I found where BS got his yacht drawing skills. Not so sure about the engineering aspects though. 

Will, you should tell your buddies back at Southhampton that you interned with this guy over the summer...

At least his customer has a smile on his face!

28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I thought you got that out of your systems with Jaruzelski

Oh my ....

Did the polish vote on Jaruzelski?

//J

6 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Yes.  Anyone with interest in things world-political,  and wondering the extent of Russian involvement in the 2016 US presidential campaign would be well-advised to learn all about the story involving recordings of Polish politicians in Polish restaurants, (saying things not so PC)  - that dripped out over the course of about 2 years and brought down the more pro-Western government.  It is an interesting study in how Russia seems quite adept at weaponizing information to dupe an electorate. 

Will - nice stuff !  Thanks for sharing - you seem to be on the way to developing your own, original style.   I'm impressed.

I like the big cat with the nice loge waterlines,  but I think that second one is more my budget - how much more did you develop that one & can you give any further insight to it ?   I love a performance pocket cruiser.

The cat is a model of a boat that already exists. The powerboat is not my hull but I modelled the details. The pocket cruiser is 100% mine though, and is an 8.5 m cruiser. I can't share the drawings publicly due to rules at Solent, but I can show them individually if you send me a PM. 

11 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

33795Re: Speed

Expand Messages

• opuspaul
    Nov 10, 2016

I meant to answer this but missed it.....here goes.

As long as I wasn't hard on the wind or on a dead run, I used to sail at 6 knots in 12 knots of wind on my BS 36 foot single keeler.  I struggle to do that now with my tired out old mainsail.  

I have twice gone over 1000 miles in just over 6 days.  This was largely close or beam reaching using a huge over-lapping genoa.  This genoa was great on a reach and the reason for some fast passages but very poor to windward.  On one of the passages I left a day later but still caught up and passed a 65 footer and beat him to port by night.  On the other passage, I was close hauled in a sloppy sea and passed a Fantasia 35 in 12 hours despite them leaving two days before me.  The fat and heavy Fantasia was just hobby horsing and couldn't make any progress against the trade wind slop.  This has convinced more than anything of the need of having a boat that cut through seas and sail to windward. 

I have hit 8 to 9 knots under sail many times.  The max speed I have ever seen is 11 knots but I had some waves and probably some current helping me.  Those ideal conditions only lasted a few hours. 

If I can generalize, I normally sail up with the typically heavily loaded 42 to 45 foot cruisers.  I am loaded down too with a 90 gallon fuel tank and a 120 gallon water tank and plenty of books so I think this is excellent.    The wind is never like you read about in the books.  It  seems all I get is either El-Nino or La-Nina.   I think anyone who thinks it is all downwind has never been offshore in the Pacific.   When I sailed from Canada to Fiji in 96-97, I had only 8 days with the wind aft of the beam.   I am still waiting for a classic downwind trip in the trades to see what she can really do.

I think performance under sail has a lot to do with how well a boat steers.  The windvane self steering gear keeps the boat on a rail, with the tell-tales hardly flickering.  I use the windvane most of the time but sometimes I find that a electronic pilot does better.   A windvane may not hold you to the wind but if the wind is variable it is better to just go straight at a slower speed and follow a compass rather than follow every wind shift and add to the distance sailed.   I met one guy who arrived in tears in Samoa.....his boat yawed 20 to 30 degrees all across the Pacific.  He had almost totally given up on his windvane and was mentally and physically exhausted from having to handsteer.
    (Quote)

1,000 miles in six days is more than 5 knots .Not exactly slow to windward, for a heavily loaded 36 footer.

You've posted this shite before. We know it's delusional nonsense - there us no way he sailing with or passing these boats. And it's NOT talking about going upwind.

Think about it...he said he passed a boat in 12 hours that left 48 hours ahead of him. Do the math on that...even if that Fantasia was doing on three knots, it had gone 144 miles in two days. By the time he passed it 12 hours later the Fantasia would have sailed 180 miles. That means this clown is claiming to have sailed 180 miles in twelve hours on one of your little steel pigs.

Hell, if the Fantasia was making TWO knots, it would have traveled 120 miles before this guy says he passed it in twelve hours. That means that Opuspaul is claiming to have sustained ten knots for twelve hours to pass this Fantasia 35 if it was only averaging two knots.

That is flat-out bullshit and lies.

Fuck why did I fucking read that and reply?
Walk Away From The Keyboard. Stay Away from the Troll.
I'm going to have to build a boat. Out of steel. I'll name it TROLL BAIT.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

You've posted this shite before. We know it's delusional nonsense - there us no way he sailing with or passing these boats. And it's NOT talking about going upwind.

Brent believes every fish story he hears on the Internet--especially if it's spewed by one of his victims.

2 minutes ago, Whisper said:
4 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Brent believes every fish story he hears on the Internet--especially if it's spewed by one of his victims.

Not true. He believes any fish story about one of his own boats that make them not look like the sluggish pieces of shit that they are. He can and will conveniently discard any facts or stories that don't support his world view.

4 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

Big flat spot on the trailing edge of that keel . Far more drag than all my chine ends combined,by a wide margin.

I realize it would be impossible to  roll out fibreglass on a thin trailing edge there, but that would be a nice place to bolt on a stainless keel cooler for the engine, fairing the keel , cooling the engine ,and eliminating salt water intake, salt water pump ,heat exchanger , and strainers.

On Metalboatsociety.org , a Port Townsend diesel mechanic was quoted  as saying;

"If everyone went for keel cooling and dry exhaust , us mechanics would all be out of work."

My boats have been using skeg cooling for decades, eliminating the most common cooling problems other boats have.

Your lump POS boats have more drag than a boat 4X their size. You don't do "fair" or "smooth".

And you haven't the faintest idea how to analyze any shape for drag.

7 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Not true. He believes any fish story about one of his own boats that make them not look like the sluggish pieces of shit that they are. He can and will conveniently discard any facts or stories that don't support his world view.

Correct.  I was sloppy.  I should be spanked.

12 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I am of the considered opinion that Opuspaul is merely a BS sock. The syntax is nearly identical and the bullshit is totally identical.

8 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

Here are a couple of reviews of my book.

(Quote)

2 reviews for Origami Metal Boatbuilding–A Heretic’s Guide

1. 3aaf1c34c7786dd4da5ad9e45ce03d24?s=60&d=
    5 out of 5

R. Hill. – February 27, 2015:

An awesome book!! Lots of boat building and money saving ideas. Full of practical sailing & cruising tips too. My best boating book by FAR!!

2. 07a13398e35650a70d96184fdb86af11?s=60&d=
    5 out of 5

Paul Schweikert – February 27, 2015:

This is a very useful and unique book. It is practical in the extreme. Very useful for a sailor fitting out, modifying or building. I’ve worked with boats for a long time and still learned many things from Brent.

Your Review *

Name *

Email *

When you posted your two reviews, perhaps you should have spread them out over a few weeks.

9 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

(Quote)

5 out of 5

An awesome book!! Lots of boat building and money saving ideas. Full of practical sailing & cruising tips too. My best boating book by FAR!!

5 out of 5

This is a very useful and unique book. It is practical in the extreme. Very useful for a sailor fitting out, modifying or building. I’ve worked with boats for a long time and still learned many things from Brent.

Your Review *

Name *

Email *

Wow...two reviews of a thirty year old book that you can't actually buy on the same day. Did you make them both? Did you need two e-mail addresses to do that?

3 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

Compared to what ?The vast brentboat cruising experience of my  critics here, most of whom have never even seen a brentboat, let alone ever cruised on one?

Ya sure!

Best get your advice on any boat, from those who have cruised on one ,not from armchair experts. Winston's assessment was similar,as were many others,  and he ended up building three of them, after extensive offshore experience, and his daughter has one.

Weren't you just claiming Bob's keel had too much drag?  Did you sail it?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:
17 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I am of the considered opinion that Opuspaul is merely a BS sock. The syntax is nearly identical and the bullshit is totally identical.

That makes a certain amount of sense.

Like Brent, the numbers don't add up.

8 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

(Quote)

5 out of 5

5 out of 5

Your Review *

Name *

Email *

Did either of them actually USE your book or just read it and comment?

If either actually used it, how about some pics & info on the boat(s) they built - real info like pics and commentary from them - not more of your "my friends cousin told him that....." anecdotes.

1 minute ago, Whisper said:
5 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

Compared to what ?The vast brentboat cruising experience of my  critics here, most of whom have never even seen a brentboat, let alone ever cruised on one?

Ya sure!

Best get your advice on any boat, from those who have cruised on one ,not from armchair experts. Winston's assessment was similar,as were many others,  and he ended up building three of them, after extensive offshore experience, and his daughter has one.

Weren't you just claiming Bob's keel had too much drag?  Did you sail it?

Good point, Whisper.

Come on Brent, you keep criticizing boats you've never sailed and never seen!

From what I can tell, your ONLY experience sailing is with that ferrocement reef you left in the SoPac, and your own shitty Frankendumpsters. You are qualified to comment on ZERO other boats, by your own rules.

5 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

Winston's assessment was similar,as were many others,  and he ended up building three of them, after extensive offshore experience, and his daughter has one.

Is he the one who had to give his last one away in San Francisco because no buyers would even look at it?

On the other passage, I was close hauled in a sloppy sea and passed a Fantasia 35 in 12 hours despite them leaving two days before me.  The fat and heavy Fantasia was just hobby horsing and couldn't make any progress against the trade wind slop.  This has convinced more than anything of the need of having a boat that cut through seas and sail to windward. 

This is from guy who has been cruising  a long time in  his brentboat, criticized by a guy who has sailed nowhere in one,but who claims to  know  more about he subject!

How "Donald Trump" of you!

Fantasias have a  lot in common with Bob's designs.

Do the fucking math, you moron.

Your sock Opuspaul is claiming he passed a boat with a 48 hour head start in twelve hours. That is pure bullshit, just like everything else you post.

I wouldn't sail one of your shitty boats if you paid me, I'm quite content on my current boat which is neither a reef magnet or a pokey-assed bumpy little tub.

A gaslighter and known liar like you might want to lay off the Trump references in this apolitical subforum.

The carbon cutters will sail circles around any PIS BS boat any day any conditions. There is no "big flat spot" on the keel. But as we know BS has not the eye to determine such features. That keel section is a NACA foil to a precise thickness ratio and exactly what I want. BS has zero experience with any performance boats and is talking out of his ass when it comes to performance. He never tires of parading his ignorance.

For the record, I have seven books. Beat you again BS. Yo must be getting tired of getting your ass kicked here,.

The FANTASIA design has zero in common with anything I have done. That boat is a pig. So you beat a Fantasia, big fucking deal. Your pig beat another pig. That's all that says.. But again you demonstrate that you can't tell one design from another. You don't have the eye even non designers have.

I was sailing closehauled in a Bob boat in 35 kts and suddenly a whale appeared in front of me.  My heart skipped a beat, but I acted swiftly.  I was able to trim a little closer, timed with the crest of a wave, and I was able to launch that boat clear out of the water, seven foot keel and all, and clear the whale by at least three feet.  I tossed a drogue while airborne and  billowed the genny to act as a parachute, and stuck a perfect landing without a hint of pounding or mast pump.

I know this is true because I sail and cruise a Bob boat.  Brent cannot challenge this.

Keep this in mind

Regardles of whether Brent eat at home or out,

He eats out of a dumpster 

Unlike Bob ,or Smack, the design  equivalent of a Maytag repairman or type writer repairman.

You don't have the balls to face me here,  Bob.

:lol:

BS, read slowly. There is no flat trailing edge on the keel. You can say it over and over like the rest of your BS but that does not make it so. It just makes you a fool.

AMATI6_zpslam2ir3l.jpg

Poor poor little BS who is vastly outnumbered here. Uh, maybe because nobody else is stupid enough to spew your bullshit?  Or back you up so you depend on all your "friends" who tell you their "stories" and who won't post here because they are too smart?  Brent, you realize by your own words that all your friends are smarter than you are.  Which isn't saying much. 

5 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I was sailing closehauled in a Bob boat in 35 kts and suddenly a whale appeared in front of me.  My heart skipped a beat, but I acted swiftly.  I was able to trim a little closer, timed with the crest of a wave, and I was able to launch that boat clear out of the water, seven foot keel and all, and clear the whale by at least three feet.  I tossed a drogue while airborne and  billowed the genny to act as a parachute, and stuck a perfect landing without a hint of pounding or mast pump.

I know this is true because I sail and cruise a Bob boat.  Brent cannot challenge this.

I did that twice, drunk as shit on Beer while posting about real important shit here. Not the canned shit Brent loves.

And flat trailing edges are great for producing lift and reducing drag! Right?!

back to the Beer 

They built more Tayana 37's than all BS ever will be built. But origami boat building is dead so you are stuck with a handful of pig boats.

Wild%20horses%20%20anchored_zpsdknpp5ix.

Do you realize how stupid yo sound criticizing my designs? You simply have no idea what you are talking about. You have never designed a boat.

Loon%20close%20up_zps35cln64o.jpg

Usually, those intending to ground out, choose a flatter beach. This one looks like it ended up aground due to its inability to sail off  a lee shore.

No surprise, given that grossly outdated keel shape.

In calculating the  effective ballast on a high  buoyancy keel like that  one, subtract the buoyancy of the keel from the ballast  weight.

Good thing it landed on sand . Any rocks would have punched thru ,unlike with a steel hull.

So much for the theory that plastic boats never go aground!

Oh, I'm quite certain you're correct.  Fortunately, he was prepared with a can of bottom paint and tools to make the best of this surprise grounding.

Fuck, Brent, you not only lack the eye for design, but you can't read an obvious story from a picture.

There are NO flat beaches in many parts of the world.  Leave the mudflat and you MIGHT notice that.

2 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

Usually, those intending to ground out, choose a flatter beach. This one looks like it ended up aground due to its inability to sail off  a lee shore.

No surprise, given that grossly outdated keel shape.

In calculating the  effective ballast on a high  buoyancy keel like that  one, subtract the buoyancy of the keel from the ballast  weight.

Good thing it landed on sand . Any rocks would have punched thru ,unlike with a steel hull.

So much for the theory that plastic boats never go aground!

Funny, the only problem with this old wooden gem was to the 1/34" stainless rudder stock and the 1" monel propeller shaft. The metal failed on the shallow sand beach, all the dead vegetable did really well.

And that was after it was recovered and dropped out of the slings by a guy in a big metal machine...the wood is fine 

Fuck off

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

15 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

This is from guy who has been cruising  a long time in  his brentboat, criticized by a guy who has sailed nowhere in one,but who claims to  know  more about he subject!

How "Donald Trump" of you!

Are you really so ignorant or arrogant that you don't realize the knowledge and experience levels you are "arguing" with on this forum? There are any number of people here with decades or lifetimes of experience in designing, engineering, boatbuilding, world cruising, racing, etc. etc. Do you actually think they are incapable of estimating the performance of one of "your" boats? Do you really think you are smarter than all of them?

Really?

That would put you in the Dunning-Kruger company of those criminals who taunt the police because they "are smarter than any cop".

Also, you are the last person who should bring the subject of, or comparison to, Trump. Virtually everything you post or ever have posted has been a lie or a gross exaggeration.

The bow roller on ICON is removable you fool. Again, you know nothing about performance boats. ICON raced the Sydney-Hobart Race. You can't say that about any of your boats.

ICONbeats_zpsb50eb2bc.jpg

4 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

Heeling 25 degrees in a faint breeze ! Impressive stability on this one!

25 degrees?  If that's how you read that, it explains a lot.

17 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

I am grossly outnumbered, and would have to  spend more than 24 hours a day to respond to all the crap the mob posts here. Unlike my critics,  I have other things to do,  than sit  and respond instantly, every few minutes, all day long.

Unlike Bob ,or Smack, the design  equivalent of a Maytag repairman or type writer repairman.

Bob sets you down a dozen rungs every time he answers you. You come here, spew crap, bullshit and lies...then act all defensive when people call you on it. Tough shit, you are a worthless turd of a person from what I can tell. You come and attack Bob constantly, then accuse him of attacking you. There is something wrong with you.

Haven't you figured out your role here yet?

61eim-d3FkL._SY355_.jpg

Just now, Brent Swain said:

There is a sucker born every minute, and  when one such as Dave gets ripped off, they find it easier to  justify it ,than admit it.

You are projecting again BS. You have preyed on suckers your whole life. You are so comfortable fleecing the gullible you assume other people are. 

NIGHTRUNNERjan2_zps182b055f.jpg

18 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

How many airplanes do you see with flat trailing edges on their wings?

How many airplanes do you see trailing a wing through the water, you nitwit.

Do you think that MAYBE the viscosity and density characteristics of the medium a foils travel through may affect it's optimal shape?

You have neither the the with or the training to speak in an intelligent fashion on well, pretty much anything except how to stretch wear on a pair of boxer shorts out to two full weeks.

2 minutes ago, Whisper said:

25 degrees?  If that's how you read that, it explains a lot.

It's well settled that he has less than a nodding acquaintance with numbers.

B.J.:

The more BS attacks me the more stupid he looks. I am the perfect vehicle for him to use to display his ignorance.

I use a chamfered trailing edge for all my keels as do just about every designer of performing boats. It's a common feature. I am quite confident BS does not even know what a chamfered trailing edge detail looks like.

Time for the weasel walk BS. You are in over your head here.

Saga48Guy_zps23e8420b.jpg

28 minutes ago, Brent Swain said:

I am grossly outnumbered, and would have to  spend more than 24 hours a day to respond to all the crap the mob posts here. Unlike my critics,  I have other things to do,  than sit  and respond instantly, every few minutes, all day long.

Brent, 

You wouldn't be bombarded if you simply answered the logical questions truthfully, without embellishment. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

B.J.:

The more BS attacks me the more stupid he looks. I am the perfect vehicle for him to use to display his ignorance.

Saga48Guy_zps23e8420b.jpg

Brent paints his attacks with such a broad brush that he's also hitting Bruce King, Gary Mull, Doug Peterson, Bill Garden, Charlie Morgan, Al Mason, Olin Stevens, Gary Grant, German Frers, Bruce Farr, Bill Lee, Bruce Butler, Bill Crealock and on and on, in no particular order.

He knows better than all.  I bow to the great BS.

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Are you really so ignorant or arrogant that you don't realize the knowledge and experience levels you are "arguing" with on this forum? There are any number of people here with decades or lifetimes of experience in designing, engineering, boatbuilding, world cruising, racing, etc. etc. Do you actually think they are incapable of estimating the performance of one of "your" boats? Do you really think you are smarter than all of them?

Really?

That would put you in the Dunning-Kruger company of those criminals who taunt the police because they "are smarter than any cop".

Also, you are the last person who should bring the subject of, or comparison to, Trump. Virtually everything you post or ever have posted has been a lie or a gross exaggeration.

Even without the extensive experience...Brent seems to lack a fundamentals grasp of secondary education level physics and science. It doesn't take a genius or a yacht designer to see that Brent is completely full of crap on about 99.8% of what what he asserts.

Whisper:

I am honored to be held in such esteemed company as those other designers. I am flattered to be considered a "peer". Lots of brilliant work from that group.

Gosh! All of a sudden I feel special. Hey Ruby! Read this.

When  is Bob going to volunteer to build the boat for Dave he paid a fortune for pictures of?

You have gone incoherent again BS.

Wrong once again BS. Yves-Marie and I remain very good friends and understand and appreciate each others work. You will never be on Yves-Marie's level. Ever.

new%20ph_zpsauw72noe.jpg

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

Even without the extensive experience...Brent seems to lack a fundamentals grasp of secondary education level physics and science. It doesn't take a genius or a yacht designer to see that Brent is completely full of crap on about 99.8% of what what he asserts.

It's evident that Brent quit school at a young age to persue his dream of being a deadbeat, living in a Frankendumpster on a mudflat, collecting govt dole. 

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

It's evident that Brent quit school at a young age to persue his dream of being a deadbeat, living in a Frankendumpster on a mudflat, collecting govt dole

Yeah, but he has had a lot of experience doing it.

Little%20Wing%20profile_zps9u5lct2w.jpg

BS you can show us NOTHING that is impressive. Zero.

You want impressive. The Valiant 40 will be remembered. You will be forgotten.

Valiant%2040%20Kuhner%203_zpshexy4hjs.jp

4 decades of extremely successful steel and aluminium cruising boats  proves otherwise.

Bobs steel boats  are how many ? 6?

Including a 36,000 lb 37 footer?

Impressive!

WRONG. You've had a handful of boats build by gullible people who pretty much all agree your time and budget estimates are bullshit. You have one design you cribbed from someone else, turned into a picture that is less detailed than the stuff my kid left on the back of paper placemats when he was ten, and that's pretty much it.

"Extremely Successful?" - Brent, no one has ever heard of you except your marks and the people that gather to mock you.

You lie about the 37 footer, and completely ignore the body of Bob's work.

You are even more delusional than you are stupid.

7 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

You have gone incoherent again BS.

Wrong once again BS. Yves-Marie and I remain very good friends and understand and appreciate each others work. You will never be on Yves-Marie's level. Ever.

The worse offense there is BS even remotely hinting at equivalence between himself and Yves-Marie.

12 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

he worse offense there is BS even remotely hinting at equivalence between himself and Yves-Marie.

Yes, that is disgusting. I've worked with Yves-Marie and he is very competent and talented yacht designer. and a great guy. I learned a great deal working with Yves-Marie.  BS is none of these things. BS is a liar. There is nothing I can learn brom BS other than the extent of stupidity.

CT%2065%20in%20ice_zps57w3gfuu.jpg

1 hour ago, Brent Swain said:

I'm still here. Seems you did the weasel walk. You are a runner, not a fighter.

Frank_zpsya2fojmi.jpg

1 hour ago, Brent Swain said:
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Is he the one who had to give his last one away in San Francisco because no buyers would even look at it?

No, he is the one who sold his last one for $47K.

Dove IV had been listed at $35K - see the old listing below.

http://rubiconyachts.com/yachts-for-sale/details/5811831/

And this had been posted on the Oragami site:

---In origamiboats@yahoogroups.com, <rockrothwell@...> wrote :

Re: Folks Boats

Hi guys,

I'm looking at at 39' steel Flolks boat. She's properly spray foamed & looks good on photo's.
I had heard that some were not properly painted or spray foam insulated & the results were horrific, but 
IF properly dealt with were fine. But all of this is hearsay.
Anyone familiar with these?
Anything specific that I should look for?

Also, on a rather sad note, Dove IV went down to Sanfransisco & was on the market for "some time".Not a nibble. Eventually, last December, given away to the Boy Scouts for a tax write off. Break your bloody heart. 

And Brent had responded to this post on June 27, so Brent should have known better.

3 minutes ago, slap said:

Dove IV had been listed at $35K - see the old listing below.

http://rubiconyachts.com/yachts-for-sale/details/5811831/

And this had been posted on the Oragami site:

And Brent had responded to this post on June 27, so Brent should have known better.

That assumes that Brent has any interest in being truthful. I am beginning to think he hasn't got an honest bone in his body.

Share on