• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
IStream

Origami Boat Thread

13,755 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2017 at 1:39 AM, Sail4beer said:

I did go over to the yahoo group last week to check it out and everyone there seems happy and cozy. If he stays there it will be good for all involved...

IMG_4122.PNG

"...  banned me from Sailnet, Cruisers Forum and Sailing Anarchy..."

The saying goes:  "If you have a problem with everyone, maybe the problem isn't *everyone*"

14 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

So, I'm right. Right?

Well, he's still lashing out and libeling Bob.  Not so happy and cozy.

For him, that is happy and cozy.

You know that I'm kidding..

BP could never go after libel, let alone slander, due to...Bob replied let me check it out

Say I won in court over BS. What would I get? That stinking POS boat he lives on? I promise you that is the last thing I want. I'm happy enough that he is gone from here.

You could sink it and make it into an artificial reef in front of your house - might improve the fishing. ;)

26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You could sink it and make it into an artificial reef in front of your house - might improve the fishing. ;)

But then BS might come and live under a bridge near you..... I think that his exile to a personal 'safe space' on an irrelevant forum works well for everyone.

Wonder if my old account there is still valid. Could be possibilities here.

FKT

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Say I won in court over BS. What would I get? That stinking POS boat he lives on? I promise you that is the last thing I want. I'm happy enough that he is gone from here.

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

But you couldn't win anything more than a token amount.  You could never prove he damaged your reputation and quantify any monetary damages.  His words are actionable, yet harmless because nobody relies on his BS.

5 hours ago, Kirwan said:

"...  banned me from Sailnet, Cruisers Forum and Sailing Anarchy..."

The saying goes:  "If you have a problem with everyone, maybe the problem isn't *everyone*"

My favorite version:

If you smell dog shit everywhere you go, look at the bottom of your own shoe. 

Mr Perry = what is the antenna on the stbd spreader?

I was waiting for something like that!

Really - I still remember the first time a gas jockey called me "Sir" - made me feel so old.

And I was only 38. :D

Mr. Longy:

The second done is for the Iridium sat com.  The radar system we are using allows mounting both units close.

39 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Mr. Longy Sir

The second done is for the Iridium sat com.  The radar system we are using allows mounting both units close.

FIFY

On 9/9/2017 at 11:53 AM, Bob Perry said:

No worries. I have my comfortable reality while he lives in BS land.

Awesome.

I have to say, I love it but I'd love it more if the rudder was underneath instead of behind.

I know, customer yada yada.

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I have to say, I love it but I'd love it more if the rudder was underneath instead of behind.

Why?  Slight loss in efficiency maybe but this solution offers the benefits of one less hole in the boat and failure mode (rudder post bearings) and makes it easier to rig emergency steering/rudder.  Kinda like it for an offshore boat.

Wess is correct on this. The beauty of that rudder design with the single titanium "pin" is that the pin can be removed from the top. The lower bearing in the strut allows enough movement to rock the rudder back to clear the gudgeons and with some effort the rudder can be removed at sea. A client requirement.

That said, I like outboard rudders. I like the look and I like having the rudder as far aft as possible. It also suits the aesthetic of the BCC model. On my options for future versions I have moved the rudder under the boat as tiller steering was not possible with the arrangement changes. I'm good either way. Give the client what he asks for and make it work.

I'm craving halibut Fish 'n' Chips.  Served in origami newspaper, or even aluminum.  Don't forget the malt vinegar.

"Slight loss of efficiency, maybe"?

I would agree with the "maybe" part of that statement.

Outboard rudder?

Let's take a look at that statement:

RED ROOSTER by Dick Carter had an outboard rudder. Won the Fastnet

IMPROBABLE, outboard rudder, by Gary Mull, too many wins to list.

TERRORIST, Bruce King One Tonner, two outboard rudders, so fast the IOR rule was changed.

I'm very comfortable with that level of "inefficiency".

So we cross the Baltic to Bornholm on our carbon Dinghy. 16 hours, no wind for 12 hours /max 4 knots/ later in the night 40 knots. It was fun to plane 11 knots on waves under gennaker. Nothing special, slow time, and couple days before one guy swim the distance with rib assistance. Tourist escapade ;)

No wind at all...

21314447_1682831851728308_7997443516374421891_n.jpg

21371007_1682831861728307_7343072664655032886_n.jpg

haven't poked my head into this thread in a while. am I correct in my understanding that retard brent finally got banned?

42 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Frozwen:

Yes. BS is gone for good.

finally! good fucking riddance. 

Btw Bob - the biggest rigid non-carbon part on this boat is tiller extension ;)

3 hours ago, Yigael said:

So we cross the Baltic to Bornholm on our carbon Dinghy. 16 hours, no wind for 12 hours /max 4 knots/ later in the night 40 knots. It was fun to plane 11 knots on waves under gennaker. Nothing special, slow time, and couple days before one guy swim the distance with rib assistance. Tourist escapade ;)

No wind at all...

You guys are looking good, but you call that light air???

43 minutes ago, valis said:

you call that light air

For couple hours gennaker hasn't even try to lift sheets from the water. ;)

44 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Yigael:

40 knots? That must have been exciting.

Oh yes, ofc. it was after dark, but the boat is very stable and safe /for her size/ thanks to her swinging keel with 37 kg of lead in the bulb and bending carbon mast spilling wind pressure from the mainsail top in the squalls. Great ride.

1 hour ago, valis said:

You guys are looking good, but you call that light air???

Looks like a typical summer day around here.

"Wind variable 5 to 15" :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like a typical summer day around here.

"Wind variable 5 to 15" :rolleyes:

Looks more like steady 0 kts, with gusts to boat roll.

Around here the announced "5 to 15" translates as "No Wind Whatsoever".

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Around here the announced "5 to 15" translates as "No Wind Whatsoever".

Ah, in So Cal that meant nothing until about noon.  Then 25 knots when you want to dock, anchor or pick up a mooring ball in the late afternoon, and nothing at all once you're secured.  I think they average 0-25 as 5-15.

Here, yesterday only one boat out of more than 20 finished singlehanded regatta Battle of Gotland. Brave, young german skipper of Mini boat left the race to find a shelter... 12 mile before finish line, after 500 miles of struggling, on sheltered waters of Bay of Gdańsk already - because of 50+ knots head wind and very steep seas. Autumn.

3 hours ago, Whisper said:

Looks more like steady 0 kts, with gusts to boat roll.

The wind is clearly blowing straight down.

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

The wind is clearly blowing straight down.

No no no, we call that gravity.

On windless days like that in the Pacific Cup, I think that we would go faster if we shrimped the kite and let the current pull us towards Hawaii.

Windless races can be interesting.  On one Three Bridge Fiasco the wind died after we crossed the start line and were heading for the Blackaller buoy mark (near the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge).  There was a building flood current, so we dropped the anchor and had lunch.  We "passed" quite a few boats while we were eating.

We've also spent a day or two bobbing around near the Farallon Islands after the start of a Pacific Cup.  Even if we're drifting backwards or sideways, we at least try to keep the bow pointed at Hawaii, if only for the sake of morale.  We got to see a lot of marine life, including whales spyhopping and checking us out, and being charged by a small pod of whales (who dove under the keel at the last moment).  The swells can be pretty sloppy and a lot of boats suffer rig damage from the boom, etc, slatting around.  Smart people drop the sails in those conditions, but we racers take whatever microscopic fraction of a knot we can get.

Once the middle of the pacific and going crazy with all the noise, I launched the tender with 300' line. Sat in it with a book and few beers watching her roll rail to rail.

10 hours ago, Yigael said:

Here, yesterday only one boat out of more than 20 finished singlehanded regatta Battle of Gotland. Brave, young german skipper of Mini boat left the race to find a shelter... 12 mile before finish line, after 500 miles of struggling, on sheltered waters of Bay of Gdańsk already - because of 50+ knots head wind and very steep seas. Autumn.

first autumn storm and you guys go sailing...

you are lucky it lost most of it's power on the way, we had BF 11 in the german bay.

18 minutes ago, Simon75 said:

first autumn storm and you guys go sailing...

you are lucky it lost most of it's power on the way, we had BF 11 in the german bay.

Not quite so... That 50+ knots was on sheltered waters of the bay, it was force 12 during night on east-south part of Baltic sea. But the last two guys manage to finish/withdrawbefor the worst whether. The rest of the pack withdraw because of technical problems /mostly autopilots and rigging/ or /most/ giving "safety first" reason when it has been already clear that they can't finish before the storm. They stopped on Gotland or in Lithuanian ports. Fujimo, Reichel-Pugh 50 footer with full crew which was an assist vessel in this regatta couldn't risk entering Hel port /they can't stay between floating y-booms but must stay longside to concrete pier/ so they fight last 12 miles to Górki Zachodnie in storm force head wind for 7 hours with engine assist... Morten Bogacki, that german skipper of mini boat Mojo was to exhausted for that after hand steering for more that 50 hours since total blackout on his boat. Brave guy. Everybody wanted him to finish the race and take his hard gained win.

This are annual regatta road the Gotland. Nobody says, it will be easy...
Last year winner finish and win for second consecutive time. On Dehler 41. His name is Mirosław Zemke. Tough guy.

All you guys are tough to do that!

They are tough. I only gone for some dinghy beach sailing with my buddy ;) 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:00 AM, Bob Perry said:

Frozwen:

And with him the fun

I think after all this time that every one of us here recognize one immutable fact:

Brent Swain has the type of brilliance that the world just refuses to recognize....

...probably because it's really just stupidity.

(PS - Brent, you can dishonestly use that first part above on your yahoo site if you want.)

On 15/09/2017 at 1:00 AM, Bob Perry said:

Frozwen:

Gone...but not forgotten. 

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Gone...but not forgotten. 

The stench still lingers. 

1 hour ago, hobot said:

And another has chosen to pick up the sword.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
  Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
  And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
  The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
  And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
  The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!