• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Presuming Ed

Is this the Figaro III?

233 posts in this topic

Come on Staysail, give it a break. No one has ever rafted up a bunch of foiling monos...there have never been that many in existence! 

Are you really advocating sticking to the a Figaro 2 or similar old design just so we can all park more easily? Okay, you are right the foam slabs they use now will not work, but would you not give up easy parking and skinny fenders for the chance to race 30 of these boats?

Do you really need to argue with a guy who has proven himself to know nothing?

42 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Do you really need to argue with a guy who has proven himself to know nothing?

So what do you know about this Clean? Attended many Solitaire events? Stayed at a Figaro training base through a winter?

(I have, by the way.)

And great to see you still can't resist commenting on my posts!

2 hours ago, Potter said:

Come on Staysail, give it a break. No one has ever rafted up a bunch of foiling monos...there have never been that many in existence! 

Are you really advocating sticking to the a Figaro 2 or similar old design just so we can all park more easily?

So why make it sound so easy when you can't possibly know what will happen handling these things? and I personally think the Figaro 2 is still an ideal boat in terms of finess for its purpose. The figaro III looks like a dogs breakfast and a compromise design to me, and just change for change's sake. I would far prefer people who want to evolve design ideas doing it in things like mini racing. I certainly can't see the sense in imposing a basically untried concept like this boat on an already highly successful and by no means small, racing fleet.

And as to your comment

"Okay, you are right the foam slabs they use now will not work, but would you not give up easy parking and skinny fenders for the chance to race 30 of these boats?"

Assuming thirty of these things get bought fairly soon that is going to consume a significant amount of money, and if i was a young up and coming sailor and not very rich, I think I would far prefer to see the class continue as is.

Okay, well that is your opinion. 

All the Figarists that I know are really excited by the change.

2 hours ago, Potter said:

Okay, well that is your opinion. 

All the Figarists that I know are really excited by the change.

Well I guess you know the ones with rich sponsors. And those who don't own a Fig 2.

57 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Thanks for posting!

Anyone who doesn't think that is a pretty cool 35 footer has got rocks in their head.

4 hours ago, staysail said:

Well I guess you know the ones with rich sponsors. And those who don't own a Fig 2.

I know some with good sponsors, some who have changed sponsors a lot,  some who are just surviving, and most who own their boat. The general consensus is that the time is right for a change, and that the interest is there. 

Obviously it does not suit what you would like. You have been clear about that. It doesn't stop this from being a very cool step in one design offshore racing, in other people's opinions. I happen to fall on the side of the second sentence, so I guess we are the lucky ones getting what we want.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Anyone who doesn't think that is a pretty cool 35 footer has got rocks in their head.

And the Figaro 2 still works and can be sailed by those who prefer them.

8 hours ago, hoppy said:

And the Figaro 2 still works and can be sailed by those who prefer them.

Yes Hopmeister ...and don't forget the Fig 1 for those on whatever it is  that is smaller than a shoestring.

One cool option would be to have a Corinthian class in the Figaro using the Figaro n-1 boat with n the current class number. 

On 28/07/2017 at 4:49 PM, CrushDigital said:

What, like any other foil on a boat? Come on, you can do better than that.

Use your brain...torsional loads on hitting something with the end of the foils are what did for most of the imoca foils, bending loads and impacts are a lot easier to deal with on foils without severe bends or distortions.   Make them bulletproof and then the weight goes out of the window. Savvy?

Are those foils going to need fences to prevent cavitation? I'd imagine there'd be disturbed flow caused by the hull where they enter the water.... but I have an active imagination, and lack a hydrodynamics degree. 

Could be interesting in a big fleet on a short line racking up for a start. Bye Bye foil.

Until there is some real data to convince me otherwise, it seems like a silly design for the new Figaro.  Besides the foils it's a nice looking boat though. 

1 minute ago, r.finn said:

Until there is some real data to convince me otherwise, it seems like a silly design for the new Figaro.  Besides the foils it's a nice looking boat though. 

I'd have to agree with that.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Flippin Out said:

Could be interesting in a big fleet on a short line racking up for a start. Bye Bye foil.

I'd imagine much like a crowded downwind start where you wait to pop the kite until you've crossed the line, the skippers would keep the foils retracted in the pre-start.

6 hours ago, CrushDigital said:

I'd imagine much like a crowded downwind start where you wait to pop the kite until you've crossed the line, the skippers would keep the foils retracted in the pre-start.

You realise these guys are racing for inches at a time...

10 hours ago, JL92S said:

What's the betting that the SIs will mandate foils retracted until after crossing the start line?  A little like the mini transat only allow foils that extend the beam to be deployed after the start.

I am happy to see I am not alone in seeing problems ahead for the F3.

Moral is "When something is not broke, don't try and fix it!"

well it's certainly an expensive option to add in foils like these and how long before they have some failures I wonder.  This pic  surfaced and didn't seem to be that quick either.  Guess there will be a few amendments along the line though

fig3.jpg

40 minutes ago, GBH said:

well it's certainly an expensive option to add in foils like these and how long before they have some failures I wonder.  This pic  surfaced and didn't seem to be that quick either.  Guess there will be a few amendments along the line though

fig3.jpg

They didn't enter one in the Fastnet did they? It would have been interesting to see how it would do against the F2.

2 Figaro II are entered into the 2017 Fastnet. (GBR 21, GBR 85) 
No Figaro III. Would have been too easy. 

16 hours ago, JL92S said:

And like every other start, if they are on the line, powered up, in clear air, at zero, there are no more inches to give. 

You're not going to be deploying and retracting the foils through the maneuvering of a pre-start, there's just not enough manpower when at best you're doublehanded. so in your model, you'd need both foils out, this not only restricts your ability to maneuver but I'd imagine would be very draggy when downspeed.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should (which coincidentally seems to be the opinion of a lot of the people here when it comes to the foils in the first place).

3 hours ago, Chasm said:

....and very public!

11 hours ago, Chasm said:

Are you serious?

It's a totally new boat design and new concept that needs to be tested. I think Beneteau will have more important things to do with the F3 than to get it up to Cat2 and measured for IRC.

The question was if any were entered, they are not.
Having a few of them racing the Fastnet would have been a nice comparison against a very broad fleet of other boats. Since that did not happen we'll have to wait another 2 years. Perhaps some will enter the 2019 edition.

Er..... there's only one in existence at the moment. Why bother to race against other boats, and away from the commissioning yard, when it's designed for OD racing. 

Much better to day sail the prototype and get data and fix problems at home. 

14 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

Er..... there's only one in existence at the moment. Why bother to race against other boats, and away from the commissioning yard, when it's designed for OD racing. 

Much better to day sail the prototype and get data and fix problems at home. 

this. it's a brand new design, this is hull number one. they're going shake down the shit out of that thing before straying to far from the yard. the time to find problems and work out kinks is now before the production line really gets rolling. give it time. 

They will probably have to do a few iterations for the foils, this is still a mix of art and science.