Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

The very best of the Good Ol' Grateful Dead

Bill Graham introduces the second 15 years...

Great show, was right there watching the boys blow it up.....

High in the Rockies indeed.

A place for everything and everything in its place... <_<

I want to re-live that part of my life. $200, a Saab 900 with a flathead screwdriver for a key (the key broke in the ignition) and 6 weeks of spring break...well it was only 4 but we made it 6. Spring tour. 1 for 3, 2 for 5 and a miracle.

First tune from my first show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0spDyD9I1M

my first show was september 1980 berkley greek theater, first song they played was el paso(bobby was on fire) and they did a scarlet fire jam that was the best I ever heard, they closed with good lovin and the entire house was dancing. I have it on bootleg along with the rest of the show.

best dead I have on bootleg is with pigpen doing lovelight, 2nd is a cumberland blues from fillmore east 1971

best jerry I have is a jerry show also 1980, after midnight into eleanor rigby instrumental back into after midnight, incredible guitar leads. Same show is also a russian lullaby that is so soulful

that eyes of the world with branford marsalis is awesome

One of the new years shows I went to at the kaiser in oakland ken kesey was lowered from the rafters in a tuxedo and bill graham rode in a huge joint down a cable from right above us in the balcony to the stage, at midnight they filled place with nitrous oxide balloons and played aiko aiko...complete silliness. We caught the tail end of an era. Glad you saw them and thanks for sparking a nice memory.

One of the new years shows I went to at the kaiser in oakland ken kesey was lowered from the rafters in a tuxedo and bill graham rode in a huge joint down a cable from right above us in the balcony to the stage, at midnight they filled place with nitrous oxide balloons and played aiko aiko...complete silliness. We caught the tail end of an era. Glad you saw them and thanks for sparking a nice memory.

Does my voice sound funny?

Wawwawa.

U2 at the Aragon was my 1st concert (Sunday Bloody Sunday tour). REM was the 2nd. The Dead was my 3rd. I then went and saw them 43 more times. I saw the last one in 1995. I also killed off Dave Brubeck, Doc Watson and SRV. I'm not a good omen for musicians, apparently.

I've got some cool SYF hologram ticket stubs. Met a lot of cool people. I also met some I felt pretty bad for. They were washed up.

There was something about a Dead Show though. When everyone got dancing, it was a crazy energy.

I hated the space crap. That was time to go take a pee.

Barton Hall 5/8/77

and if you know, you know what that means....

I find two things outstanding in this version of the song. The first is that everyone is singing like it is their song....not a Jerry tune, not a Donna tune, not a Bobby tune, but everyone.... like they own it (heck if I recall back even Keith was mic'd up this tour).

The second thing is this,if you close your eyes and turn it up really loud, you get the feeling you are right there riding a horse with the boys and girl and good ol' Jack Straw.

Nice Sean. That is the version when Brent Mydland got up and left the stage (remember it like it was yesterday)... The boys had to up their game to cover for the missing keyboards.... the ending in particular is a bit different because of that. Pure Dead, no training wheels from the keyboards.... no filler, no fuss.

It was interesting to see, band looked over as Brent exited with looks of concern.....like they lost another one...

When the camera pulls back, you get that "Missing Man Formation" view.

In the final jam, Phil is playing "Lead Bass" dancing right along with Bobby while Jerry just floats.

Great stuff that most wouldn't understand WTF I am talking about....which is why the dead needed their own thread, eh?

There was a Grateful Dead Movie from1972 that I don't believe they ever officially released, called Sunshine DayDream.

Whole show is MMF, no piano/keyboards....

Here is an excerpt with some heavy colors on top.

Movie is worth checking out if you are a purest who likes your dead straight up.

I want to re-live that part of my life. $200, a Saab 900 with a flathead screwdriver for a key (the key broke in the ignition) and 6 weeks of spring break...well it was only 4 but we made it 6. Spring tour. 1 for 3, 2 for 5 and a miracle.

How much acid did you have?

I was at this show

If you can remember, you were doing it wrong...

None. I never really got into drugs. My first try was mushrooms and they made me nauseous as hell, so that was the end of that.

None. I never really got into drugs. My first try was mushrooms and they made me nauseous as hell, so that was the end of that.

LSD doesn't mess with your stomach like mushrooms can. Different kind of high, too. Except the brown acid. Don't take the brown acid, it's bad. So you can actually go through an entire Grateful Dead concert without mind numbing substances. Amazing. Please tell me you might at least have been drunk.

What did the DeadHead say to his buddy about half an hour after he ran out of weed?

"Dude, this group sucks...."

This was Catherine's first show. I took her...she was 15, and I was 19...

dam that was a long time ago. if i recall the best part was midnight-hour into bertha. (and the rip van something or other motel) #5 deadshow for me

My first show was June 1972 @ Hollywood Bowl. The Dead had just done their Europe 72 tour I think. Or were just about to start the tour. I think the NRPS opened the show, maybe. It was also my first LSD trip- brown window pane. Or was it orange sunshine? Naw, it was the window pane because I remember thinking how could that tiny chip, no bigger than the head of a match do all that. I had just finished my first year of high school too!