Sign in to follow this  
snowinstrctrguy

6th Annual CT River Dinghy Distance Race

I would love to be there, unfortunately stuck on the wrong continent. Fingers crossed for next year.

I enjoyed the event last year, interesting course (what I saw of it) and fantastic host club at Pettipaug. The boats that show up are all sorts of weird and wonderful and the sailors are even better!

60 boats would be amazing!

Just went through the list and we have had 33 unique classes of boats over the years. They are:

1. 420 2. 470 3. 505 4. Blue Jay 5. Buccaneer 6. Cape cod Gemini 7. Contender 8. Delaware Ducker 9. Flying Scot 10. Force 5 11. Hobie 14 Turbo 12. Hobie 16 13. Hobie 17 14. Hobie Miracle 20 15. International Canoe 16. Jy15 17. Lark 18. Laser 19. Manta 20. MC Scow 21. Melges 17 22. Nacra 5.7 23. NS14 24. Nutshell Pram 25. Peapod 26. Prindle 18 27. Scorpion 28. Sidewinder 29. Sunfish 30. Tornado 31. Trac 16 32. Vanguard 15 33. Vanguard Nomad

We already have two more to add to the list this year.

Need some foilers on the course this year!

....if it's a reach the whole way.

I must have tacked at least 100 times at last year's race.

DRC

This year I _might_ be able to make it. I hope. Been too long.

Okay add a Holder Hawk One Nine to the list with a Portsmouth rating *marginally* lower than a clawfoot tub with the feet removed. Tried to talk some Hobie Fleet 448ers into it but everyone's gone to the boonies... Madcatter is that weekend.

It'd be the Nutshell. Didn't get in the water at all last summer. Hobie trailer isn't registered and I want to try the new sail locally before I take it on the road. Have to see what's up - there's a 3gun that weekend just south of me. Also have to see if the #1 son is up for it. He's got a bit bigger - he's 19 now.

Just over a week away! The forecast right now is calling for a "Chamber of Commerce" weekend. Skies will be clear and temperatures will be approaching 70 degrees. We have 46 boats signed up right now. With current entries, there will be a OD class for MC Scows, Force 5s, and JY-15s. The others will be broken up into two Portsmouth classes.

We would really like a full count by Monday for the party food, so if you're on the edge sign up now. Looks like it will be another great day for the Dinghy Distance Race.

Humph. Here on the Delmarva peninsula tis supposed to be awesomely crummy starting Friday and finishing Sunday. Usually you get what we get 8-10 hours later. Iffn' it's gonna be crummy I'm being lazy and staying home.

Kid can't come - he promised to coach one of his friends in calculus

Humph. Here on the Delmarva peninsula tis supposed to be awesomely crummy starting Friday and finishing Sunday. Usually you get what we get 8-10 hours later. Iffn' it's gonna be crummy I'm being lazy and staying home.

Kid can't come - he promised to coach one of his friends in calculus

Shush, you!

The forecast isn't looking as nice as it was earlier in the week, but the rain is supposed to hold off until 10 pm. Breeze looks relatively light, but at least there will be some. The good thing about being overcast is we won't have to worry about a transition zone where the breeze goes from a Northerly to a sea breeze,

I hope the weather works out as well as it did last year, that made the whole event go from amazing to stunning.

Well, life intruded. Have a great time folks! Hope the weather and wind cooperate.

Pics or it didn't happen😀

Well, life intruded. Have a great time folks! Hope the weather and wind cooperate.

Pics or it didn't happen

Helping a friend move some cabinets to a job site this afternoon, and it was quite the parade.

pP6La26.jpg

Matt and James were legged out in the Thistle.

The event was a blast ! Thank you Dan and also all the great folks at PYC, what a great day. Weather could have cooperated a little better but that's the nature of the beast. At least the rain held off. I'll be back next year for sure... with a bigger boat! Might have to dust off my grandpa's sunny if craigslist doesn't spit out any gems. Lol.

Pics or it didn't happen

Helping a friend move some cabinets to a job site this afternoon, and it was quite the parade.

pP6La26.jpg

Matt and James were legged out in the Thistle.

What is the graphic/dark area on the leech of those F5 sails?

Sail Numbers? Or an artifact of the photo compression.

Details! Details! I want to know the details! Conditions, racing, etc. But more importantly, how was the party?

Overcast, cool, intermittent wind, minimal chop unless you count the yahoos in speedboats buzzing by. GREAT party, enough delicious poached salmon I'm surprised the eagles didn't come investigate.

Sail Numbers? ?

Oh yeah, sail numbers. I've seen those somewhere before. Come to think of it, my F5 has them too.

Very rare to see them.

I actually saw the compression artifacts and took a closer look as I thought something was up with the sails (sort of a dark-ish outline of the sails).

Sigh. I got needful stuff done. Not as rainy here as anticipated but relentlessly obnoxious.

Needs moar pix pls

Pics are up on the FB page. I even got the drone up in the air at least for the starts. The rest of the time I was busy with other things.

Link, man, LINK !!

Nobody want to hunt thru a bunch of lame ass Facebook stuff... you would not believe some of the mind-draining crud there.

https://www.facebook.com/4thAnnualConnecticutRiverDinghyDistanceRace/?fref=nf

FB- Doug