Sign in to follow this  
Happy Jack

No freedom of speech in Germany

A German comedian could face prosecution in his own country for "insulting" Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Jan Böhmermann, a satirical comedian, is being investigated by German authorities under defamation laws for a poem in which he calls the Turkish premier a "goat f*****" and other insults.

He could face up to five years in prison if Turkey's foreign ministers, who were reportedly angered by the programme, decide to press charges and he is convicted, according to Der Tagesspiegel.

"Erdogan is definitely a president with a small tail," says the comedian, in a line where "tail" is understood in German to refer to another part of the male anatomy.

Under paragraph 103 of the German Criminal Code, insulting a foreign head of state can result in a three-year jail term, while an intended slander can stretch to five years.

Such "insult laws" still exist in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain and Sweden, according to a report from Pen International, which campaigns on behalf of imprisoned writers.

http://www.pen-international.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DefamationEurope.pdf

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/german-comedian-jan-b-hmermann-could-face-prison-for-insulting-smear-poem-against-turkish-president-a6972356.html

It appears an immigrant to the US has a problem with Germany's laws.

This will most certainly add to Merkel's popularity...;)

I would have a TON of fun being the defendant. I would put every single person in Turkey on the stand to ask if - in fact - any goats got fucked :lol: :lol:

Half of America would be in Prison if calling O'boy a "goat f*****" was criminal.

No, just you.

A German comedian could face prosecution in his own country for "insulting" Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Jan Böhmermann, a satirical comedian, is being investigated by German authorities under defamation laws for a poem in which he calls the Turkish premier a "goat f*****" and other insults.

He could face up to five years in prison if Turkey's foreign ministers, who were reportedly angered by the programme, decide to press charges and he is convicted, according to Der Tagesspiegel.

"Erdogan is definitely a president with a small tail," says the comedian, in a line where "tail" is understood in German to refer to another part of the male anatomy.

Under paragraph 103 of the German Criminal Code, insulting a foreign head of state can result in a three-year jail term, while an intended slander can stretch to five years.

Such "insult laws" still exist in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain and Sweden, according to a report from Pen International, which campaigns on behalf of imprisoned writers.

http://www.pen-international.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DefamationEurope.pdf

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/german-comedian-jan-b-hmermann-could-face-prison-for-insulting-smear-poem-against-turkish-president-a6972356.html

And there is this:

German Police Instructed to Remove ‘Rape’ from Migrant Assault Reports…

Local officers had produced an internal “important event” memo entitled “rape, sexual harassment, thefts, committed by a large group of foreign people”… According to Cologne newspaper Express, officers received a phone call from the state police control centre ordering them to take down the report “or otherwise delete the phrase ‘Vergewaltigung'” – “rape”.

And this is why this planet needs more Americas.....

And this is why this planet needs more Americas.....

America shows what can happen with free speech.

So does Germany

And people from other countries without a BoR wonders why we are so nutty to protect ours.

And people from other countries without a BoR wonders why we are so nutty to protect ours.

You do understand the history of free speech in Germany right?

I do. But I wasn't just talking about Germany.

My point was that several of the usual suspects around here, whenever we get around to talking about Constitutional rights, routinely say that they also have "freedoms" even though its not spelled out in their constitutions the way it is in our BoRs. And they don't understand why its such a big deal that we trumpet our BoR when they claim they also have "freedom of speech" or "privacy rights" currently. And then of course I respond by saying yes you have "freedom of speech" right up until the point you don't. In many systems of democratic gov't - the parliaments or similar could change the laws almost literally overnight and there's fuck all the people can do about it.

And then we have a select few who don't even think some rights are not inherent to being human and only conferred on man by gov't. The gov't giveth and the gov't taketh away....... But I digress.

Day one of his sentence .... "Hey goat f*****, what-a- ya in for?

Why do you feel the need to **** out goat fucker?

Day one of his sentence .... "Hey goat f*****, what-a- ya in for?

Why do you feel the need to **** out goat fucker?

It's a quote from the article. Could be short for Fancier.

My point was that several of the usual suspects around here, whenever we get around to talking about Constitutional rights, routinely say that they also have "freedoms" even though its not spelled out in their constitutions the way it is in our BoRs. And they don't understand why its such a big deal that we trumpet our BoR when they claim they also have "freedom of speech" or "privacy rights" currently. And then of course I respond by saying yes you have "freedom of speech" right up until the point you don't. In many systems of democratic gov't - the parliaments or similar could change the laws almost literally overnight and there's fuck all the people can do about it.

And then we have a select few who don't even think some rights are not inherent to being human and only conferred on man by gov't. The gov't giveth and the gov't taketh away....... But I digress.

My only point is, if I was German, I'd probably be comfortable not having the American version of free speech. They don't feel they are missing something, because they know what their culture is capable of.

this is only a part of the story.

Erdogan demanded an apology from the German Ambassador about some other satirical piece that he felt was insulting.

Only than Böhmermann gave a demonstration on what is satire and what slander.

on a side note: the Goat Society denies any sexual contact with Mr. Erdogan.

but they also state that there is no such denial from the Sheep Society.

source (german): http://www.der-postillon.com/2016/04/zentralrat-ziegen-bohmermann.html

My only point is, if I was German, I'd probably be comfortable not having the American version of free speech. They don't feel they are missing something, because they know what their culture is capable of.

I get that. But I don't think its just a "German thing". I think any culture is capable of horrific stuff. Hell, look at what some of the shit that Trump is saying.....

I guess what I'm getting at is if a culture thinks the only way to prevent gassing 6 million people in the future is to limit speech, then there are some deeper issues at stake than criminalizing insulting a foreign leader is going to solve. But if the German's are comfortable with it, then that's their issue.

But even that ignores my original point that countries who tout themselves as having equal "freedoms" as we do even though they are not Constitutionally protected rights are deluding themselves. Without the stringent protections of a Bill of Rights type system, those rights can be pretty easily taken away by the fickle whims of a plurality of the people or in some cases just the gov't itself. I just personally like having that extra layer of protection on my freedoms. Without it, I don't trust that just because I have that right today means I will have it tomorrow.

Explain that please? I don't want to misinterpret whatever it is you're implying.

I get that. But I don't think its just a "German thing". I think any culture is capable of horrific stuff. Hell, look at what some of the shit that Trump is saying.....

Pails in comparison to some of the horse shit coming out of your face Jeffy boy.. Is it clown slap time already or should you be cleaning arab toilets and saving up for an arab whore to rub shit in you face? :lol:

Explain that please? I don't want to misinterpret whatever it is you're implying.

Don't be your normal idiotic self

And what is your culture capable of? Idiotic self... :rolleyes:

And what is your culture capable of? Idiotic self... :rolleyes:

bombing the shit out of the jungle and/or desert.

It's hard to believe no one in any of those countries ever insulted Bush or Obama.

It's also hard to believe anyone thinks it should be a crime if they do. Except maybe that goat-fucker, Erdogan.

Perhaps if Turkey wasn't harboring the refugee industry and contributing to the things that caused the failed states to make those refugees in the first place, they'd have a bit more sympathy from the people that are expected to take care of all those dispossessed people.

Fuck Turkey and their "Don't you dare mention genocide" bullshit. That place has been in retrograde since the last days of Attaturk.

It's hard to believe no one in any of those countries ever insulted Bush or Obama.

It's also hard to believe anyone thinks it should be a crime if they do. Except maybe that goat-fucker, Erdogan.

I take it you don't have a Moorings vacay planned to cruise the Turkish Med coast anytime soon...... ;)

Perhaps if Turkey wasn't harboring the refugee industry and contributing to the things that caused the failed states to make those refugees in the first place, they'd have a bit more sympathy from the people that are expected to take care of all those dispossessed people.

Fuck Turkey and their "Don't you dare mention genocide" bullshit. That place has been in retrograde since the last days of Attaturk.

Agreed. I spent a fair amount of time there in the mid-90s. Loved it! Nice people, great food and some cool places to visit, especially if you are a history buff. I always felt safe traveling there and the people were genuinely great folks.

I doubt those good people have changed, but the overall climate there has taken a significant nose dive. Its sad and I feel sorry for their country and what its seems to be headed for.

I take it you don't have a Moorings vacay planned to cruise the Turkish Med coast anytime soon...... ;)

I'm avoiding that whole hemisphere. But for those who are not, remember that you don't just have to avoid Turkey. The topic post is about a person being prosecuted in Germany and apparently that's an option in several countries...

The only one I have any inclination to visit is Portugal. If I do, I'll try to remember to keep my mouth shut about that goat-fucker, Erdogan.

I'm avoiding that whole hemisphere. But for those who are not, remember that you don't just have to avoid Turkey. The topic post is about a person being prosecuted in Germany and apparently that's an option in several countries...

The only one I have any inclination to visit is Portugal. If I do, I'll try to remember to keep my mouth shut about that goat-fucker, Erdogan.

Try the Pastéis de Belém.

Just answer the question arsehole. You don't have the balls to say it do you.

Just answer the question arsehole. You don't have the balls to say it do you.

I think the Germans know they started a world war and tried to commit genocide. I know that history is glossed over in Muslim countries. You buy the revisionist history?

You still haven't answered. Stop being an idiot and grow a set. Say what you mean, don't deflect.

You still haven't answered. Stop being an idiot and grow a set. Say what you mean, don't deflect.[/quote

Umm, they know their culture is capable of starting a WW and committing genocide?

A bit early to be on the sauce, no?

You still haven't answered. Stop being an idiot and grow a set. Say what you mean, don't deflect.[/quote

Umm, they know their culture is capable of starting a WW and committing genocide?

Do you mean "genocide" as in native americans? OK, got it sauce boy... ;)

And still no fucking answer.

I think the Germans know they started a world war and tried to commit genocide. I know that history is glossed over in Muslim countries. You buy the revisionist history?

So what's the reason in all the countries that haven't started any world wars?

Who the fuck knows? I don't see why y'all have a hard on for German laws. They work for the Germans.

As to Grumpy, he's so fucking wasted he doesn't even know what question he asked.

Who the fuck knows?

Not YOU Raz! That's for fucking sure..

Who the fuck knows?

So Fucked Up Joe- are you one of those guys who deny there was a holocaust?

So fuck-wad Raz.. You deny there was ever native Americans?

got a pogo stick up your ass or something? Bounce topics much?

Yep.. Just as I thought. You are a hypocrite and a moron...

dude, it's too early to be drinking.

Who the fuck knows?

So free speech in Germany should be denied because of the holocaust?

no, I said it's understandable given Germany's history.

And, BTW, it's up to them.

And, BTW, it's up to them.

Yes it is up to them.

But I will exercise my guaranteed free speech and say that the German policy sucks, and is a very slippery slope that is much more likely to regress into opression than a policy of guaranteed free speech would.

dude, it's too early to be drinking.

Good argument.. Ass-fuck.

sure thing fucked up Joe. If you have anything to contribute, why don't you try sometime.

sure thing fucked up Joe. If you have anything to contribute, why don't you try sometime.

Dude, it's too early to be drinking..;)

No you didn't.

"They don't feel they are missing something, because they know what their culture is capable of."

No you didn't.

"They don't feel they are missing something, because they know what their culture is capable of."

you don't think the German's know what their culture is capable of?

At least the gov't and folks in majority religions don't deny the holocaust unlike some other countries.

Who the fuck knows? I don't see why y'all have a hard on for German laws. They work for the Germans..

I agree with that. Their country, their rules. It's not for me to judge them. But as I said, it makes me appreciate our Constitution and BoR even more when I read this kind of stuff.

Who the fuck knows? I don't see why y'all have a hard on for German laws. They work for the Germans..

I agree with that. Their country, their rules. It's not for me to judge them. But as I said, it makes me appreciate our Constitution and BoR even more when I read this kind of stuff.

I'll judge them:

Having laws against insulting politicians is stupid. It's stupid in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain and Sweden.

How'd I do?

I'll judge them:

Having laws against insulting politicians is stupid. It's stupid in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain and Sweden.

How'd I do?

You play "ugly American" really well.

I'll judge them:

How'd I do?

Spot on?

Yet when someone says that US gun laws, for example, are fucked up you all get your tits in a tangle.

But thats okay cos you are exceptional.....

I'll judge them:

How'd I do?

What's ugly about my opinion on free expression in other countries?

Would I be a prettier American if I agreed that their censorship is wise and benevolent? Do you think it's wise and benevolent?

it's ok.

we look at some of your state laws and go "WTF"

than we look at some of our laws that come from the the 40's or the 60's (like this one, it actualy became famous with the Shah of Persia (ab-)using it back than)

it was just announced that the gov. allows the case to be brought to court (yes that is a thing with this very special §)

it was also announced to get rid of this § until 2018 (yeah right)

what is the most worrysome to me is that the guy had to be put under police protection because he received some serious death threats.

those are the people who should be prosecuted, not the artist.

Well played

I'll judge them:

How'd I do?

Well played

I'll judge them:

How'd I do?

Well played sir

I'll judge them:

How'd I do?

Would I be a prettier American if I agreed that their censorship is wise and benevolent? Do you think it's wise and benevolent?

Hey man, you have every right to be the "ugly American"

You'd fit right in with all the other tourists.

I'll judge them:

How'd I do?

The holocaust was evil.

I'll judge them:

How'd I do?

The holocaust was evil.

Some forget that inconvenient fact.

Goat fuckers are special. In a raping sort of way.

So what is your point HJ? Everybody in the German government is as much as saying that prosecution is unlikely and that the law is antiquated and needs to be changed.

So what is your point HJ? Everybody in the German government is as much as saying that prosecution is unlikely and that the law is antiquated and needs to be changed.

My point?

That I like living in Our Constitutional Republic.

Where the letter of the Constitution is supposed to limit the power of a simple majority (A simple democracy) or activist judge to subject** the minority.

Knowing as I do, the limited education and poor reading comprehension among many of my detractors I provide this definition to aide you.

verb Subject
səbˈjekt/
  1. cause or force to undergo (a particular experience of form of treatment).

"he'd subjected her to a terrifying ordeal"

synonyms: put through, treat with, expose to "they were subjected to violence"

2. bring (a person or country) under one's control or jurisdiction, typically by using force.

See Obama Care Mandate

Happy thinks Germany is the 51st state

Hey, we kicked their ass in WW II didn't we?

My point?

Where the letter of the Constitution is supposed to limit the power of a simple majority (A simple democracy) or activist judge to subject** the minority.

Knowing as I do, the limited education and poor reading comprehension among many of my detractors I provide this definition to aide you.

verb Subject
səbˈjekt/

2. bring (a person or country) under one's control or jurisdiction, typically by using force.

See Obama Care Mandate

I presume you didn't do your mandatory Mormon mission in Germany then. But please tell me,WTF does the US Constitution have to do with Germany?

My point?

verb Subject
səbˈjekt/

See Obama Care Mandate

I presume you didn't do your mandatory Mormon mission in Germany then. But please tell me,WTF does the US Constitution have to do with Germany?

Sorry no time for hate filled bigots. Especially ignorant ones.

His point is that he loves the Constitution of the country he moved to from Canada.

But, at least he is giving the attacks on Obama a rest.

only after they bombed pearl harbor.

only after they bombed pearl harbor.

Serves 'em right, fukin' Krauts.

. But please tell me,WTF does the US Constitution have to do with Germany?

For as long as I can recall a distinguishing characteristic of left and right is that the Right, in sometimes an obnoxious manner, always affirms their love of American and the so-called American Way. In contrast, the Left almost universally loves somewhere else better.

As a teen during the late 60's Cuba, Albania, the USSR and Mao's little red China book were variously touted as our enlightened superiors. In more recent times it is often one or more European nations that get their admiring glances.

I can't count the number of times, progressive, socialist Europe has been held up as the gold standard of civilized society.

I have to admit I like it when their false idols stumble.

America is great and I feel sorry for any American that is ashamed of that.

. But please tell me,WTF does the US Constitution have to do with Germany?

For as long as I can recall a distinguishing characteristic of left and right is that the Right, in sometimes an obnoxious manner, always affirms their love of American and the so-called American Way. In contrast, the Left almost universally loves somewhere else better.

As a teen during the late 60's Cuba, Albania, the USSR and Mao's little red China book were variously touted as our enlightened superiors. In more recent times it is often one or more European nations that get their admiring glances.

I can't count the number of times, progressive, socialist Europe has been held up as the gold standard of civilized society.

I have to admit I like it when their false idols stumble.

America is great and I feel sorry for any American that is ashamed of that.

You are a very odd man.

Tell me since you love America so much, were you in the service? We had a Mormon in my Basic Training company. The first time we saw him in his long johns we were a little amazed, it was at FT Knox, Kentucky in the summer, not exactly long john weather. He explained they were some secret temple garments or something. We thought he was a bit odd too.