Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gouvernail

Laser /Sunfish Rumors

A person who I consider to be reasonably well informed told me, "they said the molds all have been sent to China. I want to see pictures of the molds over there. Otherwise I think it is just smoke."

He also suggested it would take a lot of oversight to get Lasers built just like they are built elsewhere.

He is convinced it is hard for dealers in the USA to get Lasers or Sunfish right now.

I posted this as rumor because I have no ide what of it is real.

Considering my source, I am reasonably certain some or all of it is true,

Anybody know anything??

They can build computers and tools that are way more difficult to get right than a little boat but laminating polyester reinforced fiberglass just like it is done elsewhere demands same resins, same glass, same gelcoat

.. Close is still different and different screws the Laser game.

I am concerned

Given the correct and proper materials and constant experienced supervision, the Chinese should be capable of building a Laser and / or Sunfish that meets class specs. Other boats are successfully built in China or other place in Southeast Asia (Mach 2 Moth?).

The challenge is 1) correct materials and 2) constant experienced supervision. If this is really done properly the next question is "how much is saved by building in China vs. North America (or similar). Many people doing business in China are finding that if quality matters the cost to achieve quality erases a lot of the perceived advantages of working there in the first place.

Success in China is still possible but it requires really knowing what's going on.

Wait, Gouv, you mean its true? BK is building his Torch in China and I can finally buy one after so many years of waiting?! I just assumed it was an unfounded rumor.

I am not going to buy a boat made in China.

I am sick and tired of all sorts of businesses taking jobs away from loyal workers in the countries where most of their customers are, and shipping the jobs out to Asia to make a quick buck.

Every boat I have ever bought was made in the USA or the UK (where I was born and lived for the first 40 years of my life.)

Yeah, I know you can't buy a Laser sail, legal or not, made in the USA any more.

But I draw the line at the boat itself.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Laser-Standard-Laser-One-Sailboat_296156358.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.1.PJbrZB

Laser Standard Laser One Sailboat FOB Price: Get Latest Price Min.Order Quantity: 3 Piece/Pieces Supply Ability: 10 Piece/Pieces per Month Port: Qingdao Payment Terms: T/T
Quick Details Type:
Monohull
Hull Material:
Carbon Fibre
Condition:
New
Length (m):
4 - 8m
Draft:
0.5 - 1.5m
Place of Origin:
Shandong, China (Mainland)
Brand Name:
Dafman
Model Number:
laser standard(laser one)
name:
Laser Standard Laser One Sailboat
Packaging & Delivery Delivery Detail: 30days

Given the correct and proper materials and constant experienced supervision, the Chinese should be capable of building a Laser and / or Sunfish that meets class specs. Other boats are successfully built in China or other place in Southeast Asia (Mach 2 Moth?).

The challenge is 1) correct materials and 2) constant experienced supervision. If this is really done properly the next question is "how much is saved by building in China vs. North America (or similar). Many people doing business in China are finding that if quality matters the cost to achieve quality erases a lot of the perceived advantages of working there in the first place.

Success in China is still possible but it requires really knowing what's going on.

+1 and there have been some major (and minor) defaults of late, good luck on recovering

Wait, Gouv, you mean its true? BK is building his Torch in China and I can finally buy one after so many years of waiting?! I just assumed it was an unfounded rumor.

The rumor is about LP moving molds and allegedly the source got his info from LP

I have neither heard nor read anything about Kirby building Torches anywhere

RS learn a hard lesson when they tried to offshore their production (or it may have been one of their hull builders but it was definitely RS boats). The phrase 'having a Brazillian RS' had a very different meaning.

Give RS their due they did sort out all the affected boats but it was a headache they could have done without and a cost they wouldn't have wanted.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Laser-Standard-Laser-One-Sailboat_296156358.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.1.PJbrZB

Laser Standard Laser One Sailboat FOB Price: Get Latest Price Min.Order Quantity: 3 Piece/Pieces Supply Ability: 10 Piece/Pieces per Month Port: Qingdao Payment Terms: T/T
Quick Details Type:
Monohull
Hull Material:
Carbon Fibre
Condition:
New
Length (m):
4 - 8m
Draft:
0.5 - 1.5m
Place of Origin:
Shandong, China (Mainland)
Brand Name:
Dafman
Model Number:
laser standard(laser one)
name:
Laser Standard Laser One Sailboat
Packaging & Delivery Delivery Detail: 30days

I love it. So is BK making the Torch out of carbon fiber as stated above? I would like to report suspicious activity, LOL.

Geeze fishing trips are fun. What will Gouv catch on this one?

Actually Wess.....

I am hoping to get honest information from one of the Laser dealers who reads these threads.

The LP guys are responsabke for their own quality control decisions and whether they care to build any product wherever they choose to build it.

I simply wonder whether the North American / European supplier of thevtwo toys my local fleets use Wednesday nights is moving production to China.

Gouv,

That was the word going around at the Sunfish Masters & Midwinter's a couple weeks ago. Paul-Jon Patin gave a briefing on the status, which unfortunately I did not attend. I do know that available charters through dealers were few and that one had hulls, but no race blades or race sails. That said, quite a few of the competitors had new race sails.

That particular Chinese website has been around for a few years, and the Laser picture was pulled straight from Wikipedia. Not saying LP isn't trying to move production to China, but I don't think that website has anything to do with LP. Just some guy in China doing a bunch of cut and paste from the internet trying to drum up some business in knock-off boats.

I will confirm that the plant in Portsmouth RI has been closed.

They had not built Lasers there for several years.

SHC

Actually Wess.....

I am hoping to get honest information from one of the Laser dealers who reads these threads.

The LP guys are responsabke for their own quality control decisions and whether they care to build any product wherever they choose to build it.

I simply wonder whether the North American / European supplier of thevtwo toys my local fleets use Wednesday nights is moving production to China.

Not used to a serious Gouv... Gouv.

As Steve said there has not been anything made in US for years and would not be surprised to see the boats go to Asia. Didn't our sails go there long ago... class legal and generic. If true then this would just more of the same. You have generally been about grass roots sailing (as am I). While not a fan of off-shoring I have to admit that if built to the same standard (construction manual) and its more affordable, then it benefits grass roots sailing so...

I will confirm that the plant in Portsmouth RI has been closed.

They had not built Lasers there for several years.

SHC

I thought I saw some new boats at regattas with "made in the USA" stickers instead of "made in the UK". Personally, I don't care where the boats are built as long as they come from a reputable builder who supports the class. However, I don't think a reputable builder would outsource the hulls to China.

Building labor intensive things (sailboats or iPhones) has seen a lot of production move to China and other places in Southeast Asia. It's not a great thing in my opinion but a sign of the times for those of us living in North America or similar. Done right (and that's a major stipulation) a Laser or iPhone built in China (or similar) will be just as good as one built in the USA or Australia or similar.

As for reputable builder, check out this link (in this case not necessarily "outsourced" to the lowest Chinese bidder but actually running their own factory with their own supervision, i.e. "done right"):

http://www.mcconaghyboats.com/company-history.html

I don't think I'm giving away any trade secrets here:

LP has shipped FJ, 420 and Sunfish production to China.

I don't believe the Portsmouth factory has closed yet, but, it will very shortly if not already.

(The move to China for Sunfish has happened at an especially terrible time - there are effectively no Sunfish to be available this summer).

All the Lasers we've gotten recently have been built in the UK - I have not heard anything about Laser production moving to China.

Could happen for sure, but, not something that is even in the plan as far as I am told.

--

Moral compass aside, the builder in China is solid. I've been there, it's a good facility.

I'm not a composites engineer at all, but the fit and finish has generally been quite good.

Facility is modern and well lit, and frankly better than many locations around the world I have toured that produce fiberglass boats.

I will be quite curious if they switch Laser production there as well. At this point, I have heard nothing other than FJ/420/Sunfish made in China.

I don't think I'm giving away any trade secrets here:

LP has shipped FJ, 420 and Sunfish production to China.

I don't believe the Portsmouth factory has closed yet, but, it will very shortly if not already.

(The move to China for Sunfish has happened at an especially terrible time - there are effectively no Sunfish to be available this summer).

All the Lasers we've gotten recently have been built in the UK - I have not heard anything about Laser production moving to China.

Could happen for sure, but, not something that is even in the plan as far as I am told.

--

Moral compass aside, the builder in China is solid. I've been there, it's a good facility.

I'm not a composites engineer at all, but the fit and finish has generally been quite good.

Facility is modern and well lit, and frankly better than many locations around the world I have toured that produce fiberglass boats.

I will be quite curious if they switch Laser production there as well. At this point, I have heard nothing other than FJ/420/Sunfish made in China.

Damn you with your facts. How can we speculate? :P

Are they building carbon fiber Torches there too?

Some misconceptions: Laser require extensive labor to produce (funny they look pretty plain and simple to me), shipping large boxes of air around the world is cost effective, all resins and reinforcements are equal (tried the Chinese biax lately?), QC can be controlled through hands off supervision....

Thanks Steve Clark and WestCoast for providing substance to these rumors.

Sad for the employees in the Portsmouth RI facility. No idea how many were (still) working there.

I am sick and tired of all sorts of businesses taking jobs away from loyal workers in the countries where most of their customers are, and shipping the jobs out to Asia to make a quick buck.

Every boat I have ever bought was made in the USA or the UK (where I was born and lived for the first 40 years of my life.)

Yeah, I know you can't buy a Laser sail, legal or not, made in the USA any more.

Thank you Mr. Trump

Sure sounds that way for sunfish. Guess not a big surprise in retrospect. Highlights potential problem for laser class if most boat sales are not to racers.

And Sunfish are going to be "injection molded"?

No, he used the wrong words, he meant infused. (As in resin infused)

jesus talk about wanky consultant double talk: fulfillment, fuck me then I'll be fulfilled.

offshoring a low labor product, stupid lazy and greedy

resin infusing a solid laminate part without strict weight limits in a country with a competitive advantage in pollution, stupid and deluded

onelaser right... all for one and all for me

Thanks for clearing that up. So basically the Sunfish is still going to be a fiberglass boat - just a different way of making it?

Thanks for clearing that up. So basically the Sunfish is still going to be a fiberglass boat - just a different way of making it?

Correct.

The North American market has not been this open for a new affordable singlehanded one design since 1972

Maybe someone should tell the guys at RS Sailing?

They could well be using injection molding. Infusion is done under vacuum with a main mould and a bag and the resin "infuses" because of the vacuum while injection uses the same materials, but with an inner and outer mould, with or without vacuum but with pressure injection of the resin. Where you are using old school CSM laminates which require a high resin ratio, this ensures enough resin, whereas the vacuum bag can over consolidate CSM leaving the laminate too dry and thin.

Wait till you find out where the computer you typed that on was made.

They could well be using injection molding. Infusion is done under vacuum with a main mould and a bag and the resin "infuses" because of the vacuum while injection uses the same materials, but with an inner and outer mould, with or without vacuum but with pressure injection of the resin. Where you are using old school CSM laminates which require a high resin ratio, this ensures enough resin, whereas the vacuum bag can over consolidate CSM leaving the laminate too dry and thin.

Ive never seen an infused part that has been too dry from oveconsolidation (rather than dry spots caused by poor routing of the outlets etc) they are usually swimming in resin!

Wait till you find out where the computer you typed that on was made.

Good point.

That comment was totally illogical of me.

I plead guilty to being more emotionally attached to my boats than I am to my computer.

I think you can count the number of executives in modern multinational businesses who have any kind of loyalty to their production staff on the fingers of no hands. LPE would appear to be going where many others have gone long before.

Kind of ironic that as recently as 2013, LaserPerformance was moving production of foils back from China to Rhode Island. I see that they even announced back then that they were "in the process of transitioning the method for making their hulls from an open-mold system to an “infusion,” closed-mold system similar to how the foils are made."

http://shorelinesailboats.com/2013/11/laserperformance-blade-manufacturing-moves-to-usa/

Also interesting to see the observation by Steve Perry in the recent Sailing World article about Zim Sailing at http://www.sailingworld.com/small-craft-hustlers. "Perry says the company’s U.S.-based manufacturing is growing, and at some point the economics of building domestically instead of abroad will swing back to favor the United States. In the past five years, the cost to import a boat from Asia has doubled on a cost-per-boat basis."

What if the guy who first drew the Laser 45 years ago on the back of an envelope (or whatever it was) and the guy who owns the companies that actually still build Lasers today sat down together over a couple of beers (they are practically neighbors) to work out how to help Lasers be sold in high quantities for the next 10, 20 years and make both of them (or their heirs) even richer than they are already?

What if the guy who first drew the Laser 45 years ago on the back of an envelope (or whatever it was) and the guy who owns the companies that actually still build Lasers today sat down together over a couple of beers (they are practically neighbors) to work out how to help Lasers be sold in high quantities for the next 10, 20 years and make both of them (or their heirs) even richer than they are already?

That meeting was set up. One party pulled out without giving reasons. Same party has refused to co-operate with any arbitration. One has to suspect it suits that party for the case to go on as long as possible.

It is a mess. The courts aren't doing shit to resolve it either. I blame the system not the individuals

I think you can blame the judge for sitting on the case for 7 months and not coming up with a frigging decision on the simpler issues. Your legal system really is a joke.

Trump will bring all the jobs back

It is a mess. The courts aren't doing shit to resolve it either. I blame the system not the individuals

I think you can blame the judge for sitting on the case for 7 months and not coming up with a frigging decision on the simpler issues. Your legal system really is a joke.

Not so sure about that. Judge didn't cause the dispute the underlies the case, file the case, refuse arbitration around the case, or seek to delay the case. Neither of the litigants seems in a rush to actually have the case heard. I think (?) both at one stage or the other refused arbitration. Kirby first and then LPE (less sure about that) if I recall. Sort of explains why the class association has always said they did all they could do to have the dispute resolved and were essentially forced to find their own way out of the middle. Pure speculation on my part but looks like both litigants wanted discovery to look for smoking gun, found no smoking gun and realized nobody has full winning hand here, with LPE being somewhat stronger by virtue of holding the trademark. No judge or legal system can fix that or force both parties forward faster than they are willing to go.

Best thing the class can do is continue to grow at grass roots level so racers buy boats and the builder who holds some rights and the trademark has financial reason to work with the class and racers. Or they will make it not as stated in agreed construction manual but via most economical process ala Sunfish to bring it back to thread title and focus.

And I hear you on the China thing Gouv, but where does it end? I don't want to buy from Canada? I don't want to buy from CT (being in MD)? I don't want to buy from the next town as I want to buy from my neighbor and folks I know? Truth is if you blocked all imports there are a WHOLE LOT of things you could not get anymore. Including a lot of basic food and drugs. Global economy is a reality like it or not.

Love the last post... Trump can fix it! :blink:

Edit to add.. yikes this is going the way of PA. Eject, eject!!

Not so sure about that. Judge didn't ...

There was a hearing 7 months ago. The Judge made no decisions and "Took under advisement". So the whole thing is stalled waiting for the judge to bring in some decisions.

Not so sure about that. Judge didn't ...

There was a hearing 7 months ago. The Judge made no decisions and "Took under advisement". So the whole thing is stalled waiting for the judge to bring in some decisions.

Yea have not followed closely for a while but there was there not some recent noise about settlement discussions (no clue how real or likelihood of success) which would impact that? Neither litigant seems to be aggressively pushing forward. Honestly, once it was clear the class was not going to get crushed and successfully got out of the middle I lost interest. Just doubt the whole delay is caused by the judge/court. Anyway, its a tangential rabbit hole relative to the point of the thread about production and process changes (from which there may be some learnings for the Laser class).

LP is investing heavily in opening a new production facility in communist China and has already closed its production facility in the part of the world where there can be websites like this one.

There is no way in hell we should be purchasing Sunfish, 420s or any of the other boats produced in the Communist country unless we are somehow being mightily rewarded for doing so.

If the communist Sunfish cost $500 at the dealership I might accept the loss in the manufacturing competition and begin planning my inevitable pauperism life in my third world home country.

My new shop compressor is a Quincy..... Made in the free world

I bought about a hundred c clamps built by Adjustable before the tooling was sent from Chicago to China by the greedy fuckers who own the company.

I should have a lifetime supply but I can still buy Proto from Canada

I just cannot see myself buying a communist sailboat.

The fact LP has moved most of its production to a communist country makes their England operation tainted.

If I buy another Laser I will figure out a way to get a nearly new one shipped here from Australia.

The only way to save the western economy is to refuse to keep sending all our money away.

Take it to PA, most of the rest of the world doesn't look to kindly on the way the USA bombs the shit out of other countries for their oil....

The fact LP has moved most of its production to a communist country makes their England operation tainted.

If I buy another Laser I will figure out a way to get a nearly new one shipped here from Australia.

The only way to save the western economy is to refuse to keep sending all our money away.

Fred I love your convinctions and I agree with you. I still have my Vanguard-built Laser, and the next addition to my backyard fleet may just be an RS boat. Keep up the good fight.

Fred I love your convinctions and I agree with you. I still have my Vanguard-built Laser, and the next addition to my backyard fleet may just be an RS boat. Keep up the good fight.

The U.S. imports more goods from China than any other country in the world. Sad, but true. I would certainly pay more for a domestic-made Laser. Same with most of my purchases.

you kid yourself, iraq was invaded and occupied because wyoming and texas oilmen wanted to secure 6th largest reservoir, thats it

Insert "control of " before 6th and you have well described why oilmen supported the invasion but the bombs dropped 48 hours after Saddam said he was going to sell using other currencies.

LP wants to build Sunfish somewhere else.

That crosses a certain line for me.

So killing thousands of innocent people is ok but building Lasers in China isn't?

Enjoy Trump as your next president, you get what you deserve.

So killing thousands of innocent people is ok but building Lasers in China isn't?

Enjoy Trump as your next president, you get what you deserve.

What?

As far as I know LP are not building Lasers in China.

They are building Sunfish in China.

LP make Lasers in England. (Not communist. Not in Asia.)

Sorry to intrroduce a touch of sanity. I forgot where I am.

I do think the protectionist sentiments seen in this thread are highly hypocritical. The world is a global market. And don't forget that China is the USA's 3rd largest export market worth $180bln. And while China does sell more to the US than it buys, if the US stopped buying Chinese goods, the US economy would crash, because China supplies many components that are not made in the USA without which whole industries would fail.

In addition, if the US wants to become more protectionist, maybe they should stop "exporting" its influence.

Yes, i know. Take it to PA.....

What is the size of the market for new Sunfish relative to new Lasers? I would imagine they probably sell in similar numbers, but the Sunfish is skewed towards recreational sailing while the Laser is skewed towards racing. Also, does the Sunfish class have strict builder control like the Laser class via a construction manual or something similar?

I'm trying to determine LaserImpotence's desire to offshore Sunfish construction while keeping Laser production in the UK. If there is less class control, that would definitely make it easier to outsource Sunfish construction to China. I also wonder if they are using the Sunfish as a guinea pig before doing the same with the Laser.

We are talking about Sunfish!!!

Sunfish made in China!!

What is next?

Flags??

Oh yeah

Never mind

Gouv - Do you by chance take medication for high blood pressure (don't answer that)? Want to take a guess where it came from if you did? Wess

The President of the Sunfish Class recently visited the Chinese facility that is now manufacturing Sunfish.

His observations are at https://www.sunfishclass.org/news/article/update-from-class-president-paul-jon-patin

I am so happy the LP family of companies has invested heavily in the creation of a facility in communist China to entirely replace rather than retrofit their Rhode Island facilities.

It is truly wonderful we can now purchase our play toys from people who live in a country where there is no freedom to participate in websites of this sort and where the people are protected from what they might see if they visited Google and searched for "sailboat Repair Austin."

I am ecstatic knowing those who used to work all day in Rhode Island building our toys now have plenty of free time.

Whatever it is you do for a living, dear reader, I look forward to the day the Communist Chinese can do your job and you can sail all day instead.

If the Chinese don't take your job a robot will, get used to it.

Sailing Anarchy works in China, at least the last time I was there in late 2015.

I think Trump will pull the USA out of all the wars as they cost too much

Hillary will start more

When they announce the laser is out of the olympics Rastegars trademark wont be worth much

Ive never seen an infused part that has been too dry from oveconsolidation (rather than dry spots caused by poor routing of the outlets etc) they are usually swimming in resin!

If their swimming in resin, somebody has fucked up the infusion, big time.

"Global economy: a term used by those whose passion for personal wealth blinds them to abusive governments, slave labor, and destruction of the environment. "

Sounds like the American dream😛