• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
ku3kyc

Hydroptere abandoned - Available for $20,000

So I was visiting Hawaii on vacation and came across Hydroptere after a tourist booze cruise. Since I followed this boat for years I decided to come back when I was sober and take some pictures. What I found was an Abandoned Vessel notice. The boat was obviously not in use and not being kept up.

After I took pictures I found the Harbor Master and he told me the story from his perspective.

The boat arrived around TransPac and had no planned berth. They were denied by many harbors including this one. But after begging and promising to be out at the next record attempt, they are granted permission. The crew docked, tied up, and left. That was the last contact the Harbor Master ever had with anyone involved in the boat. No money ever showed up and all attempts to contact the owner(s) went unanswered. He even tried calling the sponsors who refused to have anything more to do with the boat.

So the Abandoned Vessel notice went up months ago. The rigger and crane are scheduled to pull the boat, dismantle it and place all the parts on the hard, out of the way of upcoming events.

Abandoned vessels cannot be sold as boats because there is no title. However the harbor has the right to dismantle the boat and sell it for parts and scrap the rest. This is the plan. He hopes to recover his legal, rigger, crane, back storage, etc. by selling the hydraulics and mast. Everything else is probably too unique to be of value. The crane is scheduled. This should happen soon.

So I asked how much he was hoping to get, how much he would take if someone walked up to him today with cash? If someone walked up with $20,000 today the boat and all its legal issues would be theirs as long as it left the harbor.

Is this how boats die? It's so sad.

Thanks for the info. I find it sad and unbelievable that the grand old lady of foiling could meet such an end!!

Picture by Francis Demange-

33yg9k1.jpg

Come on Doug, fly over there and buy it! You can sail it back home for cheap.

That's hilarious! Just imagine... Doug sailing a real boat! I'm dying laughing.

As long as it took them to sail the Hydroptere from CA to Hawaii, I'm not surprised the crew never looked back. It had lost its funding a couple of years ago while in San Francisco and had been almost abandoned there. I met the skipper and he was owed a good bit of back pay I think. I was surprised that the Kiteboat record attempt came about as it was. The boat got a bit of sponsorship from a company called Finesse on the West Coast. Enough to put their logo on it but not get it home. Call them up and ask WTF!

http://finesse.com/company/press-room/news/2015/07/finesse-sponsored-hydropt%C3%A8re-arrives-in-honolulu/

Maybe they should send the bill to Prince Albert of Monaco

GLP-004-.jpg

In any case, it is a shame.

They had an amazingly slow trip to Hawaii, but it wasn't the boat's fault. There was no wind for most of their route--it took hours to get from Koko Head to Diamond Head. We were warned in advance that the boat has a history of showing up and being abandoned for lengthy periods of time. The harbor master took them in as they promised to move before Transpac. Everyone associated with it disappeared and there it sat- right where we needed to put the deep draft vessels coming over in the race.

Can't sell it because it has no American title?

Can't it be seized & sold complete. You yanks have some whack rules. Maybe you should have accepted British rule 😀

I actually took the the time to read that and while puzzled about its origin, I read it twice before noting the cross post apology. No prob.

I think I know who you are talking about.

If cakewalk really bought it, that's awesome! Thank god he did too because that boat could have been my financial ruin!

Sure - with a big enough 'dozer pretty much anything can fit into a container. Once.

This "boat" has had the screwiest 'management' possible - it sat on the west coat for how long ? Like a year + ? was not entered in Transpac, so they could pick a weather window of best opportunity, and then they pick a utterly crap launch date, slog out here at a snail's pace and like 2 weeks later Lending Club has the window to set a passage record ?

Sounds like they must have stiffed the router too.

Hawaii's ports have the reputation for being a pain-in-the-ass, but you gotta know - this kinda crap happens all too often - just not with full exotic machinery like this - who would have believed they'd bail on so much investment ?

Look, there are 67,312 total members of SA. So why not have SA charge all of its members $1 or 50 cents. BOOM community racer.

Hell, I'd pay 2 bucks! And forgo a bottle of "2 Buck Chuck" wine from Trader Joes!!

so, who is this user "Cakewalk" and did he really buy it?

What an EXTREME VERY COOL BOAT!!

Sure - with a big enough 'dozer pretty much anything can fit into a container. Once.

This "boat" has had the screwiest 'management' possible - it sat on the west coat for how long ? Like a year + ? was not entered in Transpac, so they could pick a weather window of best opportunity, and then they pick a utterly crap launch date, slog out here at a snail's pace and like 2 weeks later Lending Club has the window to set a passage record ?

Sounds like they must have stiffed the router too.

Hawaii's ports have the reputation for being a pain-in-the-ass, but you gotta know - this kinda crap happens all too often - just not with full exotic machinery like this - who would have believed they'd bail on so much investment ?

Someone trying everything they can to keep their dream afloat. Can't blame them for that. I'd even ring him & ask if he wants to get involved.

I got a complete tour of the boat when it was here in Long Beach. Everything very well done. Have a collection of photos in a file if you want to see them.

SCANAS - I'm not sure who or what you are referring to "someone trying to keep the dream afloat" - from what we're told the folks that left it have fucked off, not paid wharfage and aren't returning phone calls - that is NOT being a responsible mariner there.

It's an interesting concept/vessel, to be sure - but biting off way more that you can afford isn't ever a wise move and sticking someone else for your ownership costs...well - say hello to my little friend, the chainsaw... - which to be SURE, would be a shame - but it's not the fault of the Harbor master that has been jerked around now, is it ?

Ship it to Bermuda (or sail it) and Sell the MoFo

to a fool that would expect to make millions with it during the event formerly known as the AC

SCANAS - I'm not sure who or what you are referring to "someone trying to keep the dream afloat" - from what we're told the folks that left it have fucked off, not paid wharfage and aren't returning phone calls - that is NOT being a responsible mariner there.

It's an interesting concept/vessel, to be sure - but biting off way more that you can afford isn't ever a wise move and sticking someone else for your ownership costs...well - say hello to my little friend, the chainsaw... - which to be SURE, would be a shame - but it's not the fault of the Harbor master that has been jerked around now, is it ?

It's isnt the first boat to be chained to a dock & it won't be the last. Personally I more respect for someone who is busting his gut for sponsorship to keep his dream alive & who looses it all than someone who never gave it a go. Somewhere there is a very disheartened frenchman watching his dream machine being sold off for "parts" because he can not raise $20000 more out of the millions that have been spent on this thing.

It's isnt the first boat to be chained to a dock & it won't be the last. Personally I more respect for someone who is busting his gut for sponsorship to keep his dream alive & who looses it all than someone who never gave it a go. Somewhere there is a very disheartened frenchman watching his dream machine being sold off for "parts" because he can not raise $20000 more out of the millions that have been spent on this thing.

I'm not so sure. I thought they had plans for the next generation. If so, the current is worthless. Like the Trimaran in the Oracle lagoon

Dude, get your soul back. Seriously, mariners have existed 90% based on a man's dreams. These guys rode out that dream much longer than most. They left us with what would be a museum piece if it could fit on a wall. I think the owners hit a point where they had that deep, dark conversation where they realize they've spent everything. I hope someone picks this up with the ability to fund it and have fun with it. It's a legendary craft. Without dreams and craziness li,e this, we would all aspire to sail 1977 j24s and the sport would have died in 1979...

10 bucks says the boat, or at least parts of it will end up in jeff lansdown's boat junkyard down on sand island. honestly even if you just pulled all the hardware off the boat you could still easily duble, if not triple your money, kind surprised scavengers haven't started picking away at the boat yet.

She was a lot more than $20k, and she will not be taken apart.

As far as I am concerned everyone should get a ride!

Cool. Very cool.

If you have actually bought it you are by far the coolest person I know of!

I got nothing but respect & admiration for Thebault. He's on Clean's shit list so he won't get much love around here

Mock him if you've done 56 knots in an ocean going vessel. Hands up?

Oh wait....

More or less than the G4 bid, LOL!?

And good luck if its you Cake. Heck of a history. Hope its got a future, but Lord knows what that would be.

Could be one heck of a weekend racer in San Fran... I gotta be the first to ask:

* What's it rate?

Cheers,

Wess

If it was sold back for back fees, it must have been with the agreement to get it out of the way. The guy was adamant that he wanted it gone. Where will it go?

Cakewalk,

You can't just drop that bomb and provide no details. What's the scoop, this place runs on rumors and half truths after all.

Btw if you are looking for crew I am happy to voltmeter the entire A-Class fleet for the trip home. :D

Is that some sort of height sensor at the bow?

They are using cameras on it for height sensing if I remember correctly.

They don't need a "height sensor" since the boat uses surface piercing foils whose altitude is controlled automatically with speed.

Maybe an infrared "object" detector?

Oh, so they CAN return a fucking phone call afterall, and pay the dock fees like everybody else.

Neat.

I guess I can go get my soul back now, eh, MOMP - or do you endorse stiffing creditors as a general rule ?

Sold back to Alain this morning for marina fees.

Wife's happy.

Sounds like one hell of a deal, congrats!

Like everyone else if you need crew..... I'd damn near give my left nut to go for a ride on that thing

To confuse more everybody :

https://twitter.com/Alain_Thebault/status/720670518815432708

"Hydroptère history shows that it's never completely finished"

..noice try :lol:

......''the story of the # Hydroptere has often shown that it is never quite finished ;)''

....methinks they're referring to the story,,not the boat!

They don't need a "height sensor" since the boat uses surface piercing foils whose altitude is controlled automatically with speed.

At 40 plus knots, fuck off Doug, you're being a fucking idiot. Again!!

Well, it IS good news to hear that the boat sounds like it'll make good on it's basic debts, clear out of valuable, much-needed wharf space AND be going back to some of the very few people that can operate it ( this is not your fathers 60' offshore racing tri ).

That's all great.

Should we be impressed that someone pays their bills or pleased with the impression they have made here ?

I don't care if it's "the fastest boat in the world" - (as claimed by them) - they still need to take care of business.

Well, it IS good news to hear that the boat sounds like it'll make good on it's basic debts, clear out of valuable, much-needed wharf space AND be going back to some of the very few people that can operate it ( this is not your fathers 60' offshore racing tri ).

That's all great.

Should we be impressed that someone pays their bills or pleased with the impression they have made here ?

I don't care if it's "the fastest boat in the world" - (as claimed by them) - they still need to take care of business.

they're french. what can you do?

I actually talked to the guy who developed it and although I cannot recall all the details they used it to measure the immersion of the boards to control their settings, because they can be moved with the hydraulic rams.

That's all great.

they're french. what can you do?

Already entered.....

Crazy, no known cure..

So is Hydroptere now know as The Spirit of Mr Floatie 2?

S/V Foily McFoilface

What is the name of the Harbor that has it?

Kewalo Harbor

Dude, get your soul back. Seriously, mariners have existed 90% based on a man's dreams. These guys rode out that dream much longer than most. They left us with what would be a museum piece if it could fit on a wall. I think the owners hit a point where they had that deep, dark conversation where they realize they've spent everything. I hope someone picks this up with the ability to fund it and have fun with it. It's a legendary craft. Without dreams and craziness li,e this, we would all aspire to sail 1977 j24s and the sport would have died in 1979...

In 2016, Hydroptere - as cool and awesome as it is - basically IS the '1977 J-24' of foiling. Just sayin'.

On the other hand, pretty awesome that it's not gonna be chopped up, I hope they can find the budget to bring it back to it's full glory and continue to campaign it.

Hardly, how many ocean going foilers are there?

The Flyin Hawian & a GunBoat were Foiled by going out in the ocean

jus sayin ;)

This is the Only one Ever to make it somewhere else across an ocean

Faster than the current ^_^

neuronz - I was told by the crew, while standing aboard the boat that the foils, once down - were not movable under load. This, that said was one the problems with the light-air passage - the boards are massively draggy when deployed and not foiling.

Oh, so they CAN return a fucking phone call afterall, and pay the dock fees like everybody else.

Neat.

I guess I can go get my soul back now, eh, MOMP - or do you endorse stiffing creditors as a general rule ?

Yes Shark, way to interpret. Same skill as my ex wife...... Impressive......

To confuse more everybody :

https://twitter.com/Alain_Thebault/status/720670518815432708

"Hydroptère history shows that it's never completely finished"

..noice try :lol:

......''the story of the # Hydroptere has often shown that it is never quite finished ;)''

....methinks they're referring to the story,,not the boat!

In the original French sentence it doesn't refer to the story nor the boat. If you prefer "Hydroptere's story has often shown that things are never quite finished."

It could mean anything.