• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
ku3kyc

Hydroptere abandoned - Available for $20,000

If anyone really needs it, I can give the contact information of the Harbor Master. I have his card. But the basic contact information for the harbor is on the abandon notice.

The problem here is that the story is not consistent

- the abandoned vessel notice is dated 03/15/16

- the picture was taken on 04/05/16 a few weeks after

- this thread was started on 04/13/16 one month after the abandoned notice

- a french guy published it yesterday morning and it generated a few comments on twitter..

- a few hours later the @TeamHydroptere twitter account (managed by a PR company) published a tweet saying the boat was sold AND was going back to San Francisco soon (

- and now a french magazine is saying the boat is sold for parts for $20K I thought she was going back to SF???

- and guess what there is a NDA signed by the seller and the buyer.

NDA is an easy way to avoid tough questions isn't it?

Why did they react and said the boat was sold only after the abandoned notice was made public?

This whole story is a shame.

I posted the pictures after I got home from vacation.

The french magazine just asked me for permission to use the photos a couple hours ago. I suspect they are a bit behind in the story.

I also suspect I was used by the Harbor Master just to gain publicity and get things moving. I wonder how much of his story was true? Maybe he was in contact with owners all along and spun the story to get things moving. I don't know.

There is some big fishing tournament based out of the harbor coming up in a short time, like weeks. The boat is parked at the weigh in station and really doesn't have another location to go to. That is the deadline to get it out of there.

I informed them (=Course au Large) yesterday afternoon about this forum topic

Hope to see this boat flying again soon...

The problem here is that the story is not consistent

- the abandoned vessel notice is dated 03/15/16

- the picture was taken on 04/05/16 a few weeks after

- this thread was started on 04/13/16 one month after the abandoned notice

- a french guy published it yesterday morning and it generated a few comments on twitter..

- a few hours later the @TeamHydroptere twitter account (managed by a PR company) published a tweet saying the boat was sold AND was going back to San Francisco soon (

- and now a french magazine is saying the boat is sold for parts for $20K I thought she was going back to SF???

- and guess what there is a NDA signed by the seller and the buyer.

NDA is an easy way to avoid tough questions isn't it?

Why did they react and said the boat was sold only after the abandoned notice was made public?

This whole story is a shame.

Probably not as nefarious as some might think. The project floundered for whatever reason and after the HI attempt (why they left when they did is the real mystery) things fell apart. The harbormaster wants to get paid and took the usual action of posting the notice. The notice stirred things up and some kind of deal seems to have been made. Apparently the boat will relocate, harbormaster has been (or will be paid) and life moves on. I'm glad the boat has been spared the chainsaw. L'hydroptere was (is?) a grand experiment and the boat deserves a place to rest in display as a part of nautical history when she's done sailing.

Now, more importantly: show us some tits, newb. This place has gone so fucking soft...

Just speculation, but maybe my thought about the LendingClub CEO is closer to the truth than I thought.

I also suspect I was used by the Harbor Master just to gain publicity and get things moving. I wonder how much of his story was true? Maybe he was in contact with owners all along and spun the story to get things moving. I don't know.

....methinks you did a great job of waking, shaking things up. Looks like a good result. :)

....thank gawd for booze cruises! :lol:

If it was a DLNR harbor I still doubt they could legally remove it to the moorings at Keehi Lagoon ( where boats go to die ) without some legal exposure ( which to a public employee is like daylight to a vampire) - let alone the initiative to actually DO SOMETHING...

All I can say is how glad the private clubs are that they didn't get stuck with it.

Looks like this is the primary source on the sale, the french Tip & Shaft newsletter.

The google translation looks quite good:

tl;dr: Alain ran out of money and stuff to sell.

# 1 A NEW LIFE FOR HYDROPTÈRE

Alain Thébault is never short on superlatives. Since a contributor to the forum Sailing Anarchy has cracked Wednesday a post announcing, photo support, as the Hydrofoil ,"abandoned" was "available for $ 20 000," he says be confronted a "media riot".
What exactly is it? Always very finicky reputation on social networks and the web,Alain Thébault has agreed to meet us several times on Friday. "The Hydrofoil comes this morning to be sold to someone who loves "and says the skipper. Run by a confidentiality agreement, it does not wish nor disclose the identity of the purchaser, or the amount of the transaction. The prototype , built in 1994, was immobilized since July 2015 marina Kewalo Basin Harbor in Honolulu after a Pacific crossing from San Francisco in ten days.
Without being able to find a lead partner for l'Hydroptère, Thébault turned to new adventures. "On returning from this voyage that cost me personally 300,000 euros - I sold my apartment in Paris for the fund - my daughters, to whom a Swiss patron had offered a ticket to Hawaii, told me:" dad, it's nice to do something that flies, but it's been twenty years that you do it, is what you can make yourself a little more helpful to thecommunity? "this is how, says the person , he launched into the Sea bubbles , a project of "electric flying bubbles", to decongest major cities by facilitating a clean river navigation, which involves several cities.
Remained in Hawaii, l'Hydroptère became cumbersome for local marina, to the point of being seized by the state and said "abandonned vessel." "I could not pay up at the port," admits Alain Thébault which ultimately first found a mysterious patron to pay thebill of $ 16 000 (about 14 000) and a purchaser, without doubt US. Now in the hands of the latter, the boat will be flying, according Thébault, out of the water and rehabilitated,"probably in the shed currently occupied by Solar Impulse 2" (solar airplane has to resume these days its journey around the world) before joining San Francisco and start anew life "traveling". With or without Alain Thébault? "For now, I'm a power break, but I will probably come back. Let's say I like the short cuts, I think I have found one,"concludes the interested in a great laugh.

Would make a great thrill ride for Larry's new resort:

Lanai’s Four Seasons resort gets mega-makeover from Larry Ellison

http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Lanai-s-Four-Seasons-resort-gets-mega-makeover-6885477.php

By Jeanne Cooper © San Francisco Chronicle, Friday, April 15, 2016

http://www.fourseasons.com/lanai/

DLNR harbormaster who couldn't get DOT ports to take it?

Keewalo is a private marina owned and operated by Almar, a division of Howard Huges Corp.

dlnr lease

Just think the possibilities had they lined up for this years Newport two Enchilada Race B)

Still there...

they did the N2E so fast no one noticed !!

are you asking a question or making a statement ??

Still there...

I am looking at it. It is still there.

Still there...

Are you posting on yer smart phone ???

NightFlyFishing1.jpg

Still there...

NightFlyFishing1.jpg

No, from iPad why? I can see it from my apartment.

Still there...

NightFlyFishing1.jpg

Good enough

Take and post sum Damn PIX

Hook-Up !!!

Still there...

NightFlyFishing1.jpg

Good enough

Take and post sum Damn PIX

Hook-Up !!!

Ya, maybe. An abandoned boat doesn't change much from day to day, until it does change. They will look very similar to the original pictures. I was with C. Hawk when he took his pics!

^^^^^^^^ Yawn ....... Pix or it never ........?

Still there...

NightFlyFishing1.jpg

Getting any Woody?

Today I decided to take some new photos of L'Hydroptere. As you can see, not much has changed since C. Hawk's pictures, although some advertising has been removed by someone.

What is the latest news/rumors/lies?

post-66345-0-99419300-1463554159_thumb.jpg

post-66345-0-71297100-1463554161_thumb.jpg

post-66345-0-54871600-1463554162_thumb.jpg

post-66345-0-43791600-1463554163_thumb.jpg

post-66345-0-55426100-1463554164_thumb.jpg

post-66345-0-33144800-1463554165_thumb.jpg

What a sad saga. We admired this boat up-close several times while it was berthed in San Pedro last year, near the free pump out station. I took several pictures and explained to my family what an awesome boat it was. I am among the "glad to see it spared the chainsaw" group.

It is no longer at Kewalo Harbor. Does anyone know where it went? I will check the harbor tomorrow, but it is not where it has been since last Jule!

^^^^^^^ Foiled again !!

rumored to be getting a glue on deck coating as punishment for not moving on - a Hawaiian thing i guess :wacko:

Seen last night riding a mooring ball on the back row down in Keehi Lagoon - no doubt getting sized up for picking clean by the Lagoonatics.

They finally raised the big GRP ketch TACIT that sat on the bottom for a couple months...and left her right on the mooring, the hull covered in dried fouling growth...nice introduction to anyone entering Keehi: "Abandon all hope..."

Seen last night riding a mooring ball on the back row down in Keehi Lagoon - no doubt getting sized up for picking clean by the Lagoonatics.

They finally raised the big GRP ketch TACIT that sat on the bottom for a couple months...and left her right on the mooring, the hull covered in dried fouling growth...nice introduction to anyone entering Keehi: "Abandon all hope..."

...what!?.... still in Hawaii!!??

.....don't tell Rimas :lol:

You have got to be kidding. A machine like that sitting on death row in Keehi Lagoon? It'll be a homeless encampment for at least 20 people by the end of the weekend.

I'm not sure they will all fit with their tents, shopping carts, bicycles, etc.. But you are probably right! I may check it out this weekend. I won't take my bicycle!

Hey Great Red Shark- is the tri still in the Lagoon? I can make out one extra tall mast with my telescope but the hull(s) is blocked by an on-land fuel tank.

Was there on Sunday. Had a meeting this week, missed the Wednesday nighter - but yeah, it was still there on the back row then.

...all stripped now?

It is a shame to see Keehi this way, when we were there it was part of the Hickam AFB Pacific YC course that we would race on Sunday's and other races. Of course you can't get to Keehi from there anymore.

It is a shame to see Keehi this way, when we were there it was part of the Hickam AFB Pacific YC course that we would race on Sunday's and other races. Of course you can't get to Keehi from there anymore.

Yeah, there's kind of a big runway there now. They frown on transiting from the AFB side to the Keehi side.

Yeah, there's kind of a big runway there now. They frown on transiting from the AFB side to the Keehi side.

Yeah, early construction was starting when we left.

For the Reef runway ? What was that, mid-60's ?

Had to get it done in time for Jack Lord to set that 747 down with a rubbery cloud of tire smoke

January of 1973. In some of our old home movies you can see where they were doing survey or core sampling work out on the reef

Hard to understand how this could go on for so long. The NDA might well be to hide the selling price. But leaving it, especially with the recent hurricanes that have hit the islands, seems foolish; not to mention the normal problems leaving a boat moored in tropical waters.

Hard to understand how this could go on for so long. The NDA might well be to hide the selling price. But leaving it, especially with the recent hurricanes that have hit the islands, seems foolish; not to mention the normal problems leaving a boat moored in tropical waters.

People have been dumping boats in HI for a very long time. Arrive, act enthusiastic, pay a few months dockage/mooring in advance, disappear forever.

People have been dumping boats in HI for a very long time. Arrive, act enthusiastic, pay a few months dockage/mooring in advance, disappear forever.

Same can be said for lots of other places. South Florida comes to mind. Georgetown is known for a place where folks leave their boats after basically day sailing from South Florida to Bimini, and through the Bahamas to as far South as they can go before crossing the Thorny Patch; the first real passage they will encounter.

My point was not that a lot of boats are abandoned all over the world; rather that this boat in particular is one that would attract a lot of potential buyers at the price point it was being offered.

this boat in particular is one that would attract a lot of potential buyers at the price point it was being offered.

Do you really think so? I don't. I think it would be a money pit only a fool would take on.

Yep. the Get-in fee is only the Camel's nose under the tent. Keeping that experimental 60-footer in talent and operating condition would get expensive quickly, and stay that way.

$ / hour of time enjoyed ? - you'd likely be better off buying a used Space Shuttle.

Yep. the Get-in fee is only the Camel's nose under the tent. Keeping that experimental 60-footer in talent and operating condition would get expensive quickly, and stay that way.

$ / hour of time enjoyed ? - you'd likely be better off buying a used Space Shuttle.

you sould make a stabin cabin out of a space shuttle - well most of them anyway

I would guess that a couple KEY parts have been saved from the 60'er keeping it from ever being used by anyone else

• Downvote 1

Even if it was free; would be like a free race horse, who can afford to feed, house and exercise it..

During the last spectacular run to HI.

Nearly outpacing a FT10m

They might have heard "That" sound

And limped it in before it collapsed

Owners may have got the Last mile out of it

I can't see it finding insurance to cover

So perhaps they pulled the bits for the next one

rather than scuttling it close to shore

Someone could take it and have "The Baddest IceBoat"

But the season is short in HI.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, tiketitan said:

Is she still floating or sinking ?

Still floating.  And Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. (If you get that reference I know when you went to college.)

Does anyone know what the legal situation/status on the title is?

The rig alone I expect would be worth something to someone. Foiling bits, yeah I could see how their might be some critical missing parts and broken bits too expensive to replace for 99% of the population.

Didn't they step in & pay the bills? I think you need an aircraft engineer on the payroll to run it. Sad they didn't have a good run. That video of them getting the original record hunched around that  ridiculously small wheel cracks me. 

Here are a couple shots of Hydroptere from my trip a few weeks ago still on the back row of Keehi Lagoon.  Her hulls seem much cleaner after a couple years moored in Keehi than the rescued Sea Nymph's after a five month drift.  

Hydroptere1.JPG

Hydroptere3.JPG

On 4/14/2016 at 6:47 PM, Doug Lord said:

They don't need a "height sensor" since the boat uses surface piercing foils whose altitude is controlled automatically with speed.

Maybe an infrared "object" detector?

Fuck off, the foils on that aren't even close to resembling those "uptips" you keep preaching about.