albatross

Rapido 60' Trimaran, Morelli and Melvin design, launched!

I'm hoping to go sailing on her next week. I'll post a report if so.

You sure know how to make a guy jealous.

R60 launched and gorgeous: (pix from R60 facebook page)

uvqk0.jpg

Gorgeous boat, but hope that's a vinyl wrap!

R60 launched and gorgeous: (pix from R60 facebook page)

uvqk0.jpg

Wow, that looks much better than the earlier renderings...

Congrats to Paul!

Bye, Paul.

Some newb questions for the racers and designers here... will a rapido 60 flip as easily as a MOD70? Is it too heavy to be capsized or pitchpoled by 30 knots of wind? How much more forgiving will it be?

I appreciate how much thought went into safety with 13 watertight bulkheads, collision zones, a survival room, and 3 escape hatches, but it's all a little unnerving for a cruiser. It feels a little like buying a family car that needs racing seats and five-point harnesses for the kids.

Some newb questions for the racers and designers here... will a rapido 60 flip as easily as a MOD70? Is it too heavy to be capsized or pitchpoled by 30 knots of wind? How much more forgiving will it be?

I appreciate how much thought went into safety with 13 watertight bulkheads, collision zones, a survival room, and 3 escape hatches, but it's all a little unnerving for a cruiser. It feels a little like buying a family car that needs racing seats and five-point harnesses for the kids.

This is not an all out racer. The risk of flipping it is about the same as a monohull hitting a submerged object and sinking from rudder post failure. You will be sailing however in double digits speeds and have the capability to ride weather systems.

I don't think MOD70s flip easily. When racing, they're being pushed to the limit so occasionally limits are exceeded.

The faster you go, the higher the risk, there's no avoiding that. I'm sure that new foilers are safer than previously but if you're foiling you need 100% concentration on steering and sail trim. If extremely experienced, professional sailors get it wrong, so can casual cruisers.

Foiling might be exhilarating, but it's not a relaxing way to sail. So it makes sense to design the boat to sail very well without foiling but be able to foil when appropriate.

Sack the graphics designer.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! Actually looks pretty good when you see the full profile , but we can only please some of the people some of the time , if you want one you can have whatever graphics you want :mellow:

Hi Tennesseejed ,

All multihulls can flip if driven hard enough or caught in a freak squall , hurricane situation , we had the ability to design some extra safety aspects in to the boat so why not ! We hope they are never used , but it is better than building a fat heavy cruising cat that will sink like a monohull when holed .

Really I think that safety standards for production multihulls have slipped to unacceptable levels in recent years .

Too much emphasis on condo space and not enough on seaworthiness , safety and sailing ability .

A Rapido 60 is way under powered compared to a Mod 70 but will still be extremely competitive against any other genuine cruising multihull . Same sail area as a Gunboat 60 and maybe 60 % of the weight !

Time will tell , but it is looking extremely good !

Will be sailing in a couple of days so will have more to report then .

Nice looking boat, sure it'll be a lot of fun to sail. Certainly follows the stated desire to move away from condomaran sailing, so limited appeal for the those less hardy but very appealing to those interested in high mileage, probably can use a bimini or something

I don't think MOD70s flip easily. When racing, they're being pushed to the limit so occasionally limits are exceeded.

Spindrift capsized when a 25 knot breeze gusted to over 30, and another capsized from less wind than that. Comparatively speaking, I'd say they capsize easily.

All multihulls can flip if driven hard enough or caught in a freak squall , hurricane situation , we had the ability to design some extra safety aspects in to the boat so why not ! We hope they are never used , but it is better than building a fat heavy cruising cat that will sink like a monohull when holed .

That's essentially my question. Does it take a freak squall of hurricane force winds to flip a Rapido 60 like a cruising cat would take, or can it flip in 30 knots like a MOD70 or foiling cat can?

I guess the answer is somewhere in the middle and there's no exact answer yet?

Looking forward to hearing reports from you and soma on how she sails and hopefully how tender she is.

Sack the graphics designer.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! Actually looks pretty good when you see the full profile , but we can only please some of the people some of the time , if you want one you can have whatever graphics you want :mellow:

Paul it looks like a cereal box toy! I'll have mine in with a dark grey / silver wrap & all white topsides thanks. I'm just waiting for a Nigerian prince to forward some family money - but I'll be in touch.

Freakin' awesome boat, wish I could afford it. Can't wait to hear about the sea trials!

What is that round hatch cover that looks like a fan thing on the starboard side of the main hull? Might make a good urinal.

What is that round hatch cover that looks like a fan thing on the starboard side of the main hull? Might make a good urinal.

Its usually a re-entry hatch, if you ever go over, and allows you access to the interior, of your floating multihull.

Splitting hairs Keith but from the manufacturer

"There are three emergency escape hatches"

Splitting hairs Keith but from the manufacturer

"There are three emergency escape hatches"

I think you'll also notice the ability to open the hatch, we can see, from the outside....

Or, you could take a piss out one if you like, as well. ;)

But please, have a good look first, an make sure no ones watching... lol

Same sail area as a Gunboat 60 and maybe 60 % of the weight !

How does the righting moment and beam compare?

Looking at the specs, upwind sail area ~ 80%, beam ~ 130% and lightship displacement ~ 60%, so capsize wind should be comparable.

I don't see how it can be compared with a mod 70 like TJ does. It is like comparing a race car on a track with a sporty family car on a day out to the beach. Doesn't make sense unless you are trying to stir up trouble.

Looking at the specs, upwind sail area ~ 80%, beam ~ 130% and lightship displacement ~ 60%, so capsize wind should be comparable.

If that's true, then the "survival room" seems to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

If she can flip like a MOD70, call it a survival room. But if she can flip like a regular cruising cat, then start calling it a "watertight bilge compartment" or something so we have a chance in hell of selling it to our wives and kids.

If that's true, then the "survival room" seems to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

If she can flip like a MOD70, call it a survival room. But if she can flip like a regular cruising cat, then start calling it a "watertight bilge compartment" or something so we have a chance in hell of selling it to our wives and kids.

Are you really in the market for a boat like this, Tennesseejed from Philly? Serious question.

Are you really in the market for a boat like this, Tennesseejed from Philly? Serious question.

Probably not at this point. Sorry, if you were waiting to give me a sales pitch.

I'd like to see how forgiving it is. If it's as stable as a cruising cat, it would definately suit me better than those. I like tris.

Its usually a re-entry hatch, if you ever go over, and allows you access to the interior, of your floating multihull.

Escape hatches are required in most multi safety regs. You will even find them on cruising condomarans.

From ISAF safety regs:

3.07 Exits and Escape Hatches -

3.07.1 Multihulls Exits Mu0,1,2,3,4 3.07.1

A) In a multihull of 8m (26.2ft) LOA and greater, each hull which contains accommodation shall have at least two exits. Mu0,1,2,3,4

B) In a multihull of less than 8m (26.2ft) LOA each hull which contains accommodation shall have at least two exits. Mu0,1,2,3

3.07.2 Escape Hatches, Underside Clipping Points & Handholds

A) In a multihull of 12m (39.4ft) LOA and greater each hull which contains accommodation shall:-

i have an escape hatch for access to and from the hull in the event of an inversion; Mu0,1,2,3,

ii when first launched on or after January 2003 have a minimum clearance diameter through each escape hatch of 450mm or when an escape hatch is not

circular, sufficient clearance to allow a crew member to pass through fully clothed;

tennesee.... you will be able to crash anything

from opti to ?

on some boats you have to be crazy to do that .... some boat owners are crazy

can I flip my F 33 ... maybe

can I reef my F 33 ...surely

my boat is MUCH better than me, do I trust my boat. ..absolutely

would I trust the Rapido ... yes I would as well

now I only find somebody to send me money ? anybody ?

Cool Boat Paul congrats ...

Awaiting Soma's or any sailing reports, Agree graphics could be much more complimentary, Shape looks good, congratulations Paul. Cheers.

Awaiting Soma's or any sailing reports, Agree graphics could be much more complimentary, Shape looks good, congratulations Paul. Cheers.

We are still setting up systems and doing final rigging adjustments but we hope to be sailing Monday !

We will report back then but I can report that the North 3Di sails fit perfectly and look great !

Graphics were designed to stand out in a crowd and make the boat easily recognizable , we knew that they would not please everyone but that's life .

Al least you will know what boat just sailed past you .

Rapido 60 in the Dong Nai River

The graphics are awesome, as is the boat.

No temptation to add semi-lifting foils, rudders on the amas?

Any info on the sea trials yet?

Just saw it in Langkawi at the fuel dock and stopped by, but nobody was there. After our lunch, they had left already, presumably in the direction of Phuket.

Those guys were off like a prom dress. They launched and hit the ground running. Testament to the build quality I guess.

Been a busy couple of weeks sea trialing the Rapido 60 !

Have to say we are ecstatic with the way it sails in so far . Conditions have been mostly light but we found a few thunder storms and had one sensational afternoon sailing in 12 to 14 knots of wind .

Sea Trials consisted of 5 days of test sailing off Vung Tau , Vietnam followed by a 3 day non stop passage to Batam Island , Indonesia ( just a 30 minute ferry ride to Singapore ) , 4 day photo and video shoot which you will see soon while based in Nongsa Marina , Batam .

We then set sail with our customers for hull number 2 to Port Dickson , Malaysia , took a couple of days due to not much wind on the nose .

Next stop was Langkawi and then on to Phuket with one overnight stop on Koh Roc Nok island .

One great afternoon of sailing , beam reaching at up to 25 knots in max 15 knots of wind ( no white caps )

, like a magic carpet ride , super stable and fast !

We are extremely pleased with the performance and the comfort , ticks all the boxes if you want a fast offshore cruising yacht that is relatively easy to handle .

Freakin' AWESOME!

disturbing lack of life lines but the boat looks good.

Standard bow nets and pulpit, I am restoring same currently on a 31, should suffice.

Nice looking boat. Just out of curiosity what does it cost?

The Specs and Price List are on our web site .

Base Price for a well equipped boat with a Alloy rig is USD 1,350,000

Our Demo boat hull number 1 , shown in the photos , fully equipped for world cruising with lots of extras like a Southern Spars high modulus carbon wing mast , EC6 Diamonds , torsional Karver Furlers , North 3Di sails is available for sale for USD 1,650,000

Incredible value for a boat of this quality , size and sailing ability !

Solar panels are always a problem as to where to put them . They are most efficient where they are but the extra weight aft is annoying .

That's why we are moving them and getting rid of the Davits . Came up with a great way to pick up the dinghy with a retractable carbon boom sprit thus eliminating the Davits and the extra weight aft . Solar panels are going on a rail at the back of the rear beams which has the added benefit of stopping some one getting flicked out the back at speed .

Great benefit of doing 1500 mile sea trials and living on the boat for a few weeks is the ideas for improvements you get along the way .

As I'm going through the same challenge, did you consider "walk on" panels on the floats?

I am curious why you didn't add aft tramps, and increase the size of the bow tramp? On a pure racing boat I get it, but I am not sure I understand the decision here.

I am curious why you didn't add aft tramps, and increase the size of the bow tramp? On a pure racing boat I get it, but I am not sure I understand the decision here.

We already have 50 sq M ( 550 sq ft ) of dynema nets with 600 metres of lashing . Maybe we got tired or maybe we felt that having nets out the back was a bad idea . Don't want to encourage people out there where they are vulnerable to getting flicked out the back at speed .

The bow nets are actually quite large enough for safety . We are adding a safety rail at the rear beam for more security .

Paul,

Not a criticism, I wa S just curious if there was a structural issue. The leeward forward tramp is our favorite place to nap while day sailing. I think I would miss it even on a bigger boat.

Our Demo boat hull number 1 , shown in the photos , fully equipped for world cruising with lots of extras like a Southern Spars high modulus carbon wing mast , EC6 Diamonds , torsional Karver Furlers , North 3Di sails is available for sale for USD 1,650,000

Not too bad. That's round about what I was quoted for a Tag 50.

Paul,

Not a criticism, I wa S just curious if there was a structural issue. The leeward forward tramp is our favorite place to nap while day sailing. I think I would miss it even on a bigger boat.

The forward tramp is still big enough for at least 3 people to lounge there comfortably while sailing ! about 3 metres x 2.5 metres wide .

Not too bad. That's round about what I was quoted for a Tag 50.

And it would sail better than a TAG

Standard bow nets and pulpit, I am restoring same currently on a 31, should suffice.

That might be OK on your C31 but if you show up to a Cat 1 or 2 offshore race with just a bow pulpit and nets they will send you home with a letter to mummy

That might be OK on your C31 but if you show up to a Cat 1 or 2 offshore race with just a bow pulpit and nets they will send you home with a letter to mummy

How much of a lifeline set up is required for a multihull?

How much of a lifeline set up is required for a multihull?
Depends. Not much. The rules are impossible to enforce as written for most Multis. Most inspectors shrug and say "stay safe". They know that making a spider web of lifelines that sailors and sails have to go over/around ends up less safe.

Last I checked it was usually bow nets, maybe after ones also, rigged to pulpit railing, nothing outboard on floats, yes stern railing or lines, I think but can be pretty minimal as usually not much area or need there so I am missing what's missing?

Looks great. Definitely more of a cruiser than the G4 and about as fast.

Nice video, very, VERY nice boat!

• 12+ knots boat speed in 8 knots true wind.
  • 25+ knots boat speed in 20 knots true wind.

Cockpit looks higher than I would like (floor/seats), probably for headroom in the aft cabin?

rapido60_p1.jpg

rapido60_p2.jpg

rapido60_p3.jpg

rapido60_p4.jpg

truly boat porn.

Damn, I wish I was a 1%er

Yup...

Pretty incredible video...

Pretty incredible boat!

Where's the tender?

At the marina actually , but it could be on the the transom , on the nets , or deflated in the floats , take your pick , plenty of space everywhere !

Where's the tender?

At the marina actually , but it could be on the the transom , on the nets , or deflated in the floats , take your pick , plenty of space everywhere !

OK, so here's the important bit. As I currently have a 45 ft cat, I am rather used to having a fast 11ft alloy RIB as a tender - in fact it's non negotiable. Tender also needs to be quick and easy to launch.

Possible?

I thought the apocalyptic soundtrack offset the removal of a piece of cheese from the fridge quite nicely.

Seriously, who produces these marketing excretions anyway? I suspect the target market is somewhat more informed than the average Oyster or Hinckley customer, and somewhat more resistant to this level of pretension.

For this type of boat, wouldn't an actual informative video be much more effective?

Reminds me of the effluvia our local maggots produce to market "prime opportunities in Real Estate®".

I thought the apocalyptic soundtrack offset the removal of a piece of cheese from the fridge quite nicely.

Seriously, who produces these marketing excretions anyway? I suspect the target market is somewhat more informed than the average Oyster or Hinckley customer, and somewhat more resistant to this level of pretension.

For this type of boat, wouldn't an actual informative video be much more effective?

Reminds me of the effluvia our local maggots produce to market "prime opportunities in Real Estate®".

I thought it was a good video. Only the chick needed DD's and a tiny Bikini...

It showed me what I needed to know. It has a Fridge, Goes fast, looks cool and has those cool Auto closing cupboard things.

If I wanted to know more, I'd get on a plane and go and look at it.

If your the type of person that judges a boat by a video I'm not sure your the target market their looking for.

If your [you're] the type of person that judges a boat by a video I'm not sure your [you're] the target market their [they're] looking for.

My god, what has happened to the world, everything is reversed, I have entered bizzaro land.

A Seppo correcting grammar, and getting it right! They will start spelling colour correctly soon.

Curious about the rudder... Is it driven by a bar off the stbd side through a port in that side of the rudder enclosure? Also, does the flange at water level significantly cut down on ventilation?

Curious about the rudder... Is it driven by a bar off the stbd side through a port in that side of the rudder enclosure? Also, does the flange at water level significantly cut down on ventilation?

It is a dagger rudder in a carbon case with a wing on the bottom . It has a tiller on the stb side that is connected to a large push rod that is driven from a Jefa 5:1 gearbox which in turn is turned by a rotating shaft from the wheel . 1.5 turns lock to lock , light very direct with lots of feedback .

Finger tip control at any speed up to 23 knts so far . No issues with ventilation !

Rapido 60 Rudder

More importantly, the video appears to be filmed with the thumper cranking.

The throttle is pushed forward near the start and its still there at 1:34. Does anyone else notice this?

The speed /motion/heel/ wavelets don't add up for me. Anyone one else?

Admittedly the editor has done a great job of getting rid of most throttle shots . And for very good reason.

Happy to be wrong though :) .

Looks fine to me, but then I am not a troll. I will let Paul come on and tell you whether they were cheating, I would think not given it will sail way faster than it will motor.

Also, does the flange at water level significantly cut down on ventilation?

The "flange" appears to be to stiffen the case, there's also one at the top. It's well above where the waterline will be at planing speeds so has no effect on ventilation (good or bad).

From another forum , possibly from "someone in the know"....

"Honesty in advertising is the only reason we say that the boat is not all carbon . In fact the only glass is only used on the outer hull skins for main hull and floats . This was done to comply with CE cat A requirements . All other structural components of the boat are carbon ."

Ok , why is Carbon not permitted in the outside skin of a CE cat A compliant laminate?.

Interested.

"Honesty in advertising is the only reason we say that the boat is not all carbon . In fact the only glass is only used on the outer hull skins for main hull and floats . This was done to comply with CE cat A requirements . All other structural components of the boat are carbon ."

Ok , why is Carbon not permitted in the outside skin of a CE cat A compliant laminate?.

Interested.

The "someone in the know" is a partner in the project. So yeah - suspect he might be in the know.

Interested.

I've got a reasonably well educated guess why there'd be glass in the outer skin. CE requirements have minimum skin thickness. There's enough carbon to do the carbon work. The glass is used to reach the minimum thickness because it's lighter. CE requirements need to be updated.

Interested.

I've got a reasonably well educated guess why there'd be glass in the outer skin. CE requirements have minimum skin thickness. There's enough carbon to do the carbon work. The glass is used to reach the minimum thickness because it's lighter. CE requirements need to be updated.

Soma nailed it . Minimum skin thickness meant that having that much carbon on the outside skin was really no benefit and just added massive cost if we wanted to comply with CE cat A requirements . Virtually all the rest of the boat structure is either infused carbon or prepreg carbon as in beams and foils , chain plates/and their bulkheads which are cured in a Autoclave . YES CE requirements need to get with the 21st century .