Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcbsheb

Charleston Race Week

What has this place come to when there is no thread for what Clean pumps up as the biggest and best regatta of the year in the US?

What has this place come to when there is no thread for what Clean pumps up as the biggest and best regatta of the year in the US?

I think it's a couple of things. It's just a great regatta, but it's far more about participation than viewing.

That said, I have been watching the races in one particular class on the SAP viewer. It's actually very good. I only care because I have an association with one boat, otherwise I don't care about any of the other fleets. Star Worlds of far greater importance this week anyway.

...aah no, thing$ have devolved to the point that if you want 'im to $ay $omething ni$e, yer have to pay him :mellow:

One PHRF race in 2 days for the biggest regatta?

The conditions were understandably challenging for the offshore race committee.

OMG that looks so fun for the competitors!

OMG that looks so fun for the competitors!

Getting out of the jetties with a ripping out going tide in a kick ass North East breeze is like rounding Cape Horn. Once you get clear it's not too bad but damn it's nasty for those few minutes.

What's wrong with that?

If you don't like sailing on days like that, buy golf clubs!

What's wrong with that?

Why cante he perminentley borrowe sailmans clubbes licke you dide? :)

What's wrong with that?

If you don't like sailing on days like that, buy a bicycle ![/quote

Hes talking about the RC you fkn goomba.

Not the sailors.

Nice conditions for a J105 though.

What's wrong with that?

Or take up road riding.

What's wrong with that?

If you don't like sailing on days like that, buy a bicycle ![/quote

Hes talking about the RC you fkn goomba.

Not the sailors.

Nice conditions for a J105 though.

I can't wait to see your finishes next weekend at AYC.

Should be good

This may have been the guy that had a heart attack. Medical team on the water revived him and he's going to be ok, but he was flat lined when they got to him. A horror story that became a testament to good planning and execution of the medical aid plan.

That said, if we'd been offshore again he would not have made it as no one would have been able to get to him in those conditions.

What's up with all the RET's in PHRF sport class today?

Henderson broke a runner

Red ran over kite and then had all sails down in middle of course

The other 280 ran aground with the kite up

It was stadium sailing on a short course

The report from Clean, was that the guy that had the heart attack was on the pursuit course.

Don't think the 88's sailed that course.

Was NOT the pursuit course. Was on Circle 5 PHRF course. If he'd been offshore he would have died. No one would have been able to get to him in those conditions.

I'm pretty sure it was an 88. We heard the radio chatter.

The person who had the heart attach was indeed on the J88.

A member of our YC and a good Viper sailor.

My guess is early 40ish.

Going to be OK.

Good thing there were people on the boat who knew CPR.

Henderson broke a runner

Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Why did Red have 3 RET? Shrimped it 3 times?

Henderson broke a runner

Sucks?

Henderson broke a runner

They were all sails down drifting in middle of course and then I never saw them again. Either something broke or the kite was shredded in prop/rudder

Red seemed to have a gear on the rest of the 280's. Maybe having a guy named Bertrand on board helped with that

Henderson broke a runner

Sucks?

RED sucks? Perhaps it's time to abandon that antique slug you "champion" and give the Farr280 a shot. Might give you something to think about other than how good you believe yourself to be.

The person who had the heart attach was indeed on the J88.

A member of our YC and a good Viper sailor.

My guess is early 40ish.

Going to be OK.

Good thing there were people on the boat who knew CPR.

PM'd you!

I never said it was pursuit class. we were actually on the J88 course when the call went out and were over there standing by within 4 minutes, EMT was already aboard and administering CPR in less than 3. We stood by for a while. Amazing story. I interviewed the doc who put the paddles on him here. https://www.facebook.com/CharlestonRaceWeek/videos/10153655305739895/

If they were offshore, would most likely have been a worse outcome. Story is also in the final CRW press release here.

If you have any questions about it after you watch the interview, ask.

UPdate: On Facebook. Holy shit.

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 12.38.33 PM.png

It sort of was, but IMO they made the best out of a bad situation. The locals were just as out of touch with that area as the out of towners. We NEVER sail up there.

For us the key was playing a side going up to stay out of the way of the chutes coming down and the shore lines had nice shifts running with them. The left side by the island worked well, but you had to come in on the right side of the current line that was right off the starting line. Being on the left of that was not good. This made all the starts way boat favored.

We did have a couple of successful dig outs on port after the start, but we never held those long.

Being the last fleet to start we did get the advantage of being able to watch how things played out for the first couple of fleets.

did u see what happened to Red? We were already on the J/88 situation by then and missed it until we heard them call in their withdrawal. Heard two different reports - 1 that they grounded hard (although the ground is all soft there) and 1 that they destroyed a new spin.

Henderson broke a runner

Sucks?

RED sucks? Perhaps it's time to abandon that antique slug you "champion" and give the Farr280 a shot. Might give you something to think about other than how good you believe yourself to be.

If the j80 in KW crushed them, and a poorly sailed one to begin with, why would I buy a POS like that, when I can go out with the so called slug and make you all sorry you are out there?

why would I buy a POS like that, when I can go out with the so called slug and make you all sorry you are out there?

You do realize that boat won with all bullets when it was sailed by a decent Melges 32 crew

seems you handicap guys don't realize how many seconds there are between different crew levels. hint: It's a hell of a lot more than 6s/mi

I never said it was pursuit class. we were actually on the J88 course when the call went out and were over there standing by within 4 minutes, EMT was already aboard and administering CPR in less than 3. We stood by for a while. Amazing story. I interviewed the doc who put the paddles on him here. https://www.facebook.com/CharlestonRaceWeek/videos/10153655305739895/

If they were offshore, would most likely have been a worse outcome. Story is also in the final CRW press release here.

If you have any questions about it after you watch the interview, ask.

UPdate: On Facebook. Holy shit.

We're all so glad you were there! SA (and team?) IN ACTION!

It's nice that the FP credited the creators of CRW's Safety Plan, but...

... can we get a link to the plan? I couldn't find it on CRW's site (makes it kind of hard for racers to follow...) and I'd sure like to look at one which was actually and successfully implemented, since I was involved in writing one for our club last year.

did u see what happened to Red? We were already on the J/88 situation by then and missed it until we heard them call in their withdrawal. Heard two different reports - 1 that they grounded hard (although the ground is all soft there) and 1 that they destroyed a new spin.

Jessie on the Farr boat ran aground with kite up. Looked like mud as they spun it around and got off on their own.

All in favor of moving the offshore courses inside to the "middle ground" with more room and setting up a 5th course up the Wando. That would save the PHRF boats hours each day and be easier on the RC.

I didn't see RED. However, saw a couple of boats hit ground. Hell, we hit as well, but it is soft around there.

We went by RED while they were having their issue. The guys on the boat yelled over that they had no steering. We went to weather of them, between them and the shallower water. They were floating at that time.

All in favor of moving the offshore courses inside to the "middle ground" with more room and setting up a 5th course up the Wando. That would save the PHRF boats hours each day and be easier on the RC.

During Thursday's practice, we spent a little time in the that area north of the Ravenel Bridge and used the R2 buoy off of Remley Point as a weather turning mark. We decided it was too shifty and unpredictable and moved south to practice east of Patriots Point. I think that bit of experience helped us on Sunday.

We were unprepared on and Sunday left our chart of the area ashore, so we made a few assumptions about the depths, most of them wrong, and were lucky not to have run aground.

For a one-off solution, moving Circle 5 to the area worked out this time. If the wind direction was 15º either way, if there was any less wind, or if there was more commercial traffic it wouldn't have worked out so well.

I thought it was fun sailing up the river, but I would feel differently it we hadn't done so well.

post-66960-0-31951000-1461161886_thumb.jpg

During Thursday's practice, we spent a little time in the that area north of the Ravenel Bridge and used the R2 buoy off of Remley Point as a weather turning mark. We decided it was too shifty and unpredictable and moved south to practice east of Patriots Point. I think that bit of experience helped us on Sunday.

We were unprepared on and Sunday left our chart of the area ashore, so we made a few assumptions about the depths, most of them wrong, and were lucky not to have run aground.

For a one-off solution, moving Circle 5 to the area worked out this time. If the wind direction was 15º either way, if there was any less wind, or if there was more commercial traffic it wouldn't have worked out so well.

I thought it was fun sailing up the river, but I would feel differently it we hadn't done so well.

Bill's right we had just the right conditions for sailing in that area. We also lucked out with commercial traffic. There is no way the port would postpone or alter the traffic coming up to the Wando Terminal and various terminals up th Cooper River so that we could race. I do support trying to find an alternative inshore location for the big boats.

My thought is to put the big boats in the middle of the harbor. We race there on W/L's a lot already. Move a smaller OD fleet to the Wando or even on the JIYC side of the Ashley. No commercial traffic over there, just the ICW.

This issue with the harbor is it's already full with circles 1, 2, and 3 dedicated to large OD groups.

The locations they show on the SI's actually move around a little depending on wind direction to the point the 3 circles use up the whole harbor.

While the alternate circle 5 location was a lot of fun it's unlikely that location could be used over 3 days due to traffic and wind direction.

However, the area between CYC and the Ravenel bridge could be a possibility as it would work for SW and NE breeze directions. The channel runs deep there and current would be a bitch, but the only ships that come in and out of there are cruise ships and some car carriers. That area does not get the traffic like the Wando location. If boats could sail the right side, (city side) of that course they could largely stay clear of the shipping channel.

Sailing up the Ashley river would be a possibility, but you're limited to easterly and westerly breezes to get W/L courses. Sort of like the Wando in that respect, but no shipping traffic concern.

Red's till broke when they luffed around the other farr280 during a downwind battle. They could have continued on, but were worried about losing steerage again in the tight quarters of the river.

[/quo

We were on the J 111 Wooton on course 5

Practiced Thursday outside and it was manageable , Friday we stayed in. Saturday we got out sailed the first race with a # 2 ( maybe a tad too much sail)

We changed to a 3 but the racing for the day was called due to a injury and RC taking water. They tried on Sunday and it was worse than Saturday and cold. My self , I was very happy they got 3 great races in .

Great job Charleston