• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Steam Flyer

Trophies... would you like these?

OK you hard-charging serious racers. We've discussed what kind of trophies people like or don't.

Here is something a bit out of the ordinary. As a matter of fact, each trophy is unique!

post-30927-0-63531100-1461456825_thumb.png

And how could you not display thise proudly, if you happened to be the winner

post-30927-0-34790800-1461457028_thumb.gif

The Edward Teach Youth Sailing Association is a group of parents and grandparents who wanted to teach their kids and grandkids to sail. Loosely affiliated with Blackbeard Sailing Club, started about 9 years ago, some of the kids were helping serve dinner after the races today. The 'first round' or founding members kids are driving now. Almost all of them are still into sailing. Having helped start and run the group, I am very proud of their success!

Not sure if we're going to win one of the plates or not.

FB- Doug

I would like them but I also painted my boat bright pink. My theory is sailing is supposed to be fun but I am finding that most racers believe it's very fucking serious, so would probably have a shiny trinket.

We used to have a traveling Laser series in Florida made up of one-day regattas during the off season summer months. Entry fee was $5-$10 to pay for refreshments after racing. With no awards budget, we got pretty inventive. I can remember hand painted pieces of broken spars, refrigerator magnets, dolly tags etc. When we really splurged it was visors or hats.

I say go for it!

These are great. Trophies are just stupid things that sit on a mantle and collect dust, or take up space in a basement. I just threw a big box of them away last fall. I couldn't even find a group to take them. I'm all for things you can use in daily life that bring back good memories of a fun weekend on the water when you get to the bottom of your cereal bowl.

My favorite trophies have been well-made seabags with the event/class/place embroidered prominently.

My least favorite trophies have been crap seabags that come apart after one use.

My favorite trophies are a simple congrats from those I respect. Crew gets the material BS.

^ this ^

But we have come to expect some sort of trinket to remember it by. I kind of like the kid-decorated plates, they're interesting and unique; and would stand out in a trophy shelf of pewter and glass knick-knacks.

The boat I was sailing on did win a nice plate, the skipper was very pleased with it.

Mmm maybe next year

FB- Doug

We celebrated the 80th birthday of a local racer yesterday after Frostbite races. He brought a box old trophies to give away.