Sign in to follow this  
bushsailor

ew B&G system

I am setting up a new boat and wish to install a B&G system with the end game being a top autopilot capable of driving a 50' racing catamaran at high speed.

Unfortunately budgets are limited so I will build the system up over time.

The critical early items are Depth, speed, mast rotation and wind for the initial system. Also Zues GPS would be useful to gather the information. (I do not need autopilot initially)

The final system would consist of H300 Hercules processor, GFD display to drive the system, gyro compass, hydraulic linear autopilot.

Questions: Which masthead wind instrument must be used to run the system? Is there any difference? (I realise I need an extension to get the wind gear up away from turbulence.)

Do I need the processor to deal with mast rotation?

Will the Zues GPS be able to process the depth wind, mast rotation etc on its own or does it need a triton display or processor?

Will the original (old) Zues GPS still work with the system. (as opposed to the newer Zues 2)

Is the Zues 2 much better than the original?

Who in Australia really know their stuff with regards to this type of thing?

All suggestions welcome.

Are you using used parts? The H3000 CP was discontinued long ago and doesn't support features in latter Zeus model MFD's. The CP processes the data in a CP system not the transducer or the displays and is obviously more sophisticated and has more transducer input options than a system without it. In a system without a CP the specific head/display processes the data for display or use by another head/display ie boat speed and heading is used by wind head/display unit to calc TWS and TWD. The quality of on the ground tech support for B&G worldwide really depends where you are in that country, Australia is no different ie Sydney is good elsewhere it gets harder.

I am not an expert on marine instruments, but I have managed technology for a while.

Usually the most limiting piece of tech will be your oldest generation item. Your upgrade cycle will be pressured by when that device is no longer compatible with new gear.

I would only buy end-of-life or end-of-upgrade gear if it were a full set at a special price, and if I were prepared for earlier incompatibility with new gear.

Good luck!

No I will be installing a new system. Just that the Zeus gps is on sale for half price.

No such thing as a Zeus GPS. Zeus is their line of MFD's or chart plotters not a GPS, though some models do have inbuilt GPS. If new and your getting a H3000 processer then your paying for discontinued gear that is many years old and in the case of the processor not forward compatible with all features in current MFD line.

I meant to say H5000 hercules processor. It was recommended that the Hercules could drive the autopilot on a cat very effectively.

I really have no idea though hence the questions.

H5000, autopilot, good compass, x amount of displays and MHU of your choice. VMHU would be best but maybe on a fast cat with AWA forward a 213 MHU would be enough?

I meant to say H5000 hercules processor. It was recommended that the Hercules could drive the autopilot on a cat very effectively.

I really have no idea though hence the questions.

OK not a H3000 that solves that puzzle..and you seem pretty keen on a decent AP...if so and particularly for a pitchpoler I would defer more towards NKE not B&G. I have zip fast multi AP experience but would think your better off having two switchable deck/pole mounted wind sensors at aft end of each float instead of one mast mounted.

Getting a good compass is often the key to getting the pilot to perform well. Don't scrimp here.

We are about to have completed our B&G 5000 upgrade from the 18 year old B&G Hydra system that worked VERY well. Several things:

o We have a hydraulic system. Our J/160 (especially with the 2,000 SF asymmetric can power-up pretty fast. Instead of using the B&G unit, we used an oversized Hynautic ram which is much more robust. (We didn't replace the ram which has been working flawlessly since we purchased the boat in '98.)

o B&B now makes a Precision 9 compass which is supposed be twice as accurate and fast as the prior H5000 compass (and is the same price). If you're driving a racing multi-hull, you'll be using the apparent wind function.

o In the case of the new H5000 system, you can more readily adjust the True Wind function to account for affect to flow deviation. That way you will have better awareness of the True Wind Angle. (It's less important that the apparent wind, which you'll be steering too, but situational awareness is situational awareness.) I'm not sure if the algorithms are impacted by that fine tuning. More importantly,

o The H5000 pilot computer has some adjustments and sensitivity adjustments for apparent wind that should be useful to you. (Though I'm not sure how much you can "walk-away" from the helm offshore in anything but lighter winds and calm seaways in a racing multi-hull?)

I'm about to invest in an entire instrument system, and am going with B&G.  I'd be interested to hear how the op made out with his.  We're just finishing up our 15m (50 feet) catamaran.  It should be pretty quick as it weighs about what your normal 40 footer weighs.  Totally loaded at the dwl, just over 9 tonnes.

Any other info regards B&G H500 or Triton 2 autopilots would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Paul.

On 1/2/2018 at 4:47 PM, svquintana said:

I'm about to invest in an entire instrument system, and am going with B&G.  I'd be interested to hear how the op made out with his.  We're just finishing up our 15m (50 feet) catamaran.  It should be pretty quick as it weighs about what your normal 40 footer weighs.  Totally loaded at the dwl, just over 9 tonnes.

Any other info regards B&G H500 or Triton 2 autopilots would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Paul.

The pieces of the system are all good. 

Make sure your installation is as good;

• quality wiring and connectors so you don't have flaky connections
  • your sensors are positioned for best effect on boat
  • Network is partitioned for sensible loading (e.g. AIS on own NMEA 0183 leg) 
  • Expansion is planned for

H5000 Autopilots are very capable, I'm running one with a Lewmar cable drive to my quadrant, 20,000 full keel boat. 

Get the Hercules level software and 3rd generation Zeus MFD.