Sign in to follow this  
sails call

Force 5

I'm the second owner of a 1978 Force 5. It's in really nice shape. The first owner had it for 20+ years and rarelyused it. I've owned it for 5 years and have maybe sailed it 10 times. The sail is still crisp. I liken it to a

barnyard find.

Are there are Force 5 enthusiasts left? It's nice enough to sell to someone who would appreciate it. If there

aren't, I'll put it on Craiglist. What do you think? The boat is located in Western New York.

I don't know if they have a class organization still or not - but I remember when those were 'the new thing' - and aside from the sucky Sunfish rudder, they really are decent boats - hope you can find someone that will appreciate it - certainly should be able to.

I've got one, re-did everything when I traded a sunfish clone for it a couple years ago.

There are a few F5 fleets around the NE.

There is a class forum at force5.us, fleet lists, regatta calendar and some articles about trouble spots and likely updates.

They are active as a class here how much?

A friend of mine offered me $1,000.00 for it to become a beach boat for his kids. I thought the offer was a little low, but then again I have no idea of what it's value is. I'd hate like heck to see this boat get destroyed by a bunch of teenagers. In my time my friends and I destroyed a couple of Hobie 16's, Laser's, and a 14' motor boat with a 25HP Evinrude hanging off the stern. I'd hate like heck to see this boat get beat on by a bunch of teenagers.

Undoubtedly there are isolated fleets of them where the value would be greater. It's a matter of finding them and the length of the drive.

Does the class still use the original AMF Sunfish-derived rudder with its rigidity of cooked pasta, or did they come around and permit use of a decent one ? The only Force5 that I sailed (long ago) was seriously betrayed by that lousy component.

Does the class still use the original AMF Sunfish-derived rudder with its rigidity of cooked pasta, or did they come around and permit use of a decent one ? The only Force5 that I sailed (long ago) was seriously betrayed by that lousy component.

The F5 head is the same/very close to Sunfish but the blade is bigger, better shaped and more vertical.

The SF assembly swaps right on so a few boats can be found with the wrong rudder. You may have just been unlucky and sailed one with a SF rudder swap.

No argument that the rudder head design isn't great though.

They are active as a class here how much?

A friend of mine offered me $1,000.00 for it to become a beach boat for his kids. I thought the offer was a little low, but then again I have no idea of what it's value is. I'd hate like heck to see this boat get destroyed by a bunch of teenagers. In my time my friends and I destroyed a couple of Hobie 16's, Laser's, and a 14' motor boat with a 25HP Evinrude hanging off the stern. I'd hate like heck to see this boat get beat on by a bunch of teenagers.

To be worth more than $1000, I would want to see good varnish, the clams all updated to cams, deadeyes changed to deck blocks, a great trailer and/or dolly.

F5s don't bring anything like the $$$ a Laser may bring. The reason there are any fleets is partly due to plenty of sailable $300 boats on craigslist. Those $300 boats need plenty of work but the buy-in is real easy and $1000 will buy boat, a new sail and all new hardware.

No better way to torch the Laser: cost is less than 20% of a laser, much easier on older bodies, midwinters, NAs, club racing, ...

Practically the same boat. But is is more stable with it's hard chines, a cockpit you can actually sit on the bottom in, double ended control systems. Sell your laser, buy a Force 5, and still have enough left for a night on the town with the wife/girlfriend win,win.

The Force 5 is simply an awesome boat. Lorain OH used to have a fleet of these, with 15 + boats on the line for Wednesday and Sunday racing. AC veteran and all around good guy Phil Trinter taught me how to sail in big air on in Force 5's. Much of those lessons I still use 20 years later with my J24.

I have many fond memories of that boat, from learning the racing game and getting my teenage butt kicked by the Parker clan to taking girls out for a leisurely sail, I always enjoyed being on the '5. I sold it a few years ago and wish I would have kept it for those days when I have only a couple hours to sail, and need to get on the water quick. At least the boat went to some kids in a junior fleet who showed promise of being able to sail and they enjoyed it.

Chris

I'm the second owner of a 1978 Force 5. It's in really nice shape. The first owner had it for 20+ years and rarelyused it. I've owned it for 5 years and have maybe sailed it 10 times. The sail is still crisp. I liken it to a

barnyard find.

Are there are Force 5 enthusiasts left? It's nice enough to sell to someone who would appreciate it. If there

aren't, I'll put it on Craiglist. What do you think? The boat is located in Western New York.

The north Americans are in the Toledo so not hellaciously far from you so must indicate there's some volume in the area. I have a bro who was a muckety muck in the class and he's always up in Indiana and northern Ohio doing regattas. If you can get $1000 for it from somebody who's going to race it then that's a good deal. Unless I'm misreading your post your 25 year old sails while crisp are probably not race ready but old hulls like yours are probably still competitive as you do see the old 70s paint jobs in a lot of FF regatta photos.

The Force 5 is simply an awesome boat. Lorain OH used to have a fleet of these, with 15 + boats on the line for Wednesday and Sunday racing. AC veteran and all around good guy Phil Trinter taught me how to sail in big air on in Force 5's. Much of those lessons I still use 20 years later with my J24.

I have many fond memories of that boat, from learning the racing game and getting my teenage butt kicked by the Parker clan to taking girls out for a leisurely sail, I always enjoyed being on the '5. I sold it a few years ago and wish I would have kept it for those days when I have only a couple hours to sail, and need to get on the water quick. At least the boat went to some kids in a junior fleet who showed promise of being able to sail and they enjoyed it.

Chris

+1. Weeks Yard might also be a helpful source.

My brother and I went through a bunch of Force 5s throughout the 90s. They were a great boat for what they were. More stable and more technical than the Laser was at the time.

They are crazy cheap now and would be a great way to start fleets by pulling a group of friends at $300-$700 a piece.

There was a bunch of infighting with the class and Weeks a while back. Not sure if that's done.

Cool boats.

There was a bunch of infighting with the class and Weeks a while back. Not sure if that's done.

Cool boats.

Ive had mine a few years now.

I think that tension between class and builder has gone away, or at least not an issue. Just a guess but may have been specific individuals v builder more than an ongoing problem.

You guys are sure using "builder" loosely!