Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SailNDive

Kiting in the NE and FL for Beginner

I want to get my husband a kite set for his birthday this year. We'd be kiting in Florida and the NE mainly (check out the wind vectors I got on screenshot on my Navionics app):

windy15Jan16-e1452861270604.png

He's never kited before and I don't know what to get him to start off with.

What do I need to know about picking out gear for him?

Thanks!

Don't buy gear ! (yet)

sign him up for a lesson.

A good instructor will quickly guide you to the proper gear after he's learned the safety and basics of getting going.

Don't buy gear ! (yet)

sign him up for a lesson.

A good instructor will quickly guide you to the proper gear after he's learned the safety and basics of getting going.

I've heard lessons are absolutely necessary for kiteboarding beginners... you agree?

I've heard lessons are absolutely necessary for kiteboarding beginners... you agree?

I am not a kiteboarder but kiteboarding is one of the few things I absolutely would not try without professional instruction. While a big part of this is because instruction will dramatically shorten the learning curve it is more based on safety. I look at it as a safety issue both in having someone by my side initially while being a total beginner but also to learn proper safety from the start to know what to do as I progress beyond having an instructor at my side.