• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Ajax

The Discarded- Rescuing a Tartan 33

803 posts in this topic

Far+Side+Dog+Hose.jpg

I bow to your superior Google skills.

How is the knee?

Ouch. I can shuffle along with the walker pretty well.

Just think of it this way; every day it gets a little better, maybe just a little but better. The worst pain is already behind you. A month from now it will still hurt but not like it is now.

Ish, Pain keeps you awake and interferes with healing. Take the feckin' pain meds. As you know, I had a total knee replacement last summer, and had almost no pain, because I took the feckin' pills.

BC

I'm on it. Dilaudid every 4 hours, Tylenol every 4 hours, offset by 2 hours.

I was outside yesterday boosting my car and forgot I was supposed to be using my walker. Got about 6 steps in before I realized and went back for it. My wife thinks I'm pushing it a bit.

I was outside yesterday boosting my car and forgot I was supposed to be using my walker. Got about 6 steps in before I realized and went back for it. My wife thinks I'm pushing it a bit.

When you start the PT you will find out what "pushing it" is.

When you start the PT you will find out what "pushing it" is.

I was afraid of that.

Keep pushing it Ish, the folks that get into trouble are the folks who don't push it, because it hurts. And they suffer the rest of their lives because of that. Push. And keep pushing until a Doc tells you to back off some...

Question:

The boat came with a kevlar racing sail in pretty good condition except for a split near the head, along a stitch line. I think it could be repaired by a professional, with little effort.

However, the sail has been bagged for years, and has mildew all over it. I believe the mildew is permanent, under the laminate. Is this just unsightly or does it damage the sail?

shouldn't affect the sail much. someone posted a cleaning solution in fix it anarchy for laminate sails

Cool, I'll search for it. Thanks!

No bleach -- it dissolves aramids like Kevlar. Challenge Sailcloth has a mold & mildew soak that supposedly is safe for all fabrics.

http://www.sailcleaner.com/

May need to pose as a marine professional to get it. By now, you qualify! ;)

Look up a nz product called Wet and Forget. The guy that makes it is a boatie, and knows his shit. Bomb diggity.

Spray and Forget is one of the North American versions of same.

Wet and Forget is available from Amazon and Costco in the US. I use it around the outside of the house but have not used it on the boat yet.

Spray and Forget is one of the North American versions of same.

Just be aware of imitators, i used to think it was all the same shit and bought whatever 30secs crap was on special, but wet and forget is quite different. A mate had a roller cruising-laminate genoa and it looked like crap, however a spray with the good stuff and it has looked sweet ever since. 2 years ago now.

Wet and Forget is available from Amazon and Costco in the US. I use it around the outside of the house but have not used it on the boat yet.

Yep, seems easily available here. I'll give it a go.

The mildew probably means the ssil is toast. It can't be fixed, so just use it until it blows up.

Good reading, thanks.

"Not everywhere is flat."

I know. We have hills here, and are able to conveniently locate our water storage tanks on them. Depending on the water source, we may or may not use the whirly-things called pumps to get the pressure up to the level of the storage tanks.

re: pushing it:

You need to know what your pain tolerance is. If you are prone to holding back because of pain, then yes push it. If you are prone to damage yourself because you push it when you shouldn't, then don't push it. I didn't think the rehab for my knee replacement was that bad. In many ways it was a relief to be actually doing something to help the healing process, instead of the seemingly interminable waiting for it to heal.

Pics dammit! We need more pics!!

Of the boat?

Splash was supposed to be this past Friday. Fail.

My boat is parked in the "Land of Misfit Toys," way in the back. It's a quagmire back there. I was told that the yard had some gravel brought in and would launch me on Friday. I showed up a week later on Friday, as per my two earlier phone conversations with the yard scheduler, but when I inquired at the office, no one knew what the hell I was talking about and the gravel was still in a big pile. The yard scheduler was out to lunch. They decided the ground was too wet for the travel lift anyway. The scheduler told me to call back Monday.

I called today, as directed. The answer? "We're going to spread some gravel around and launch you on Friday."

So, I have no new pics and no real news except that everything below the waterline has been inspected, repaired or replaced as necessary.

New anti-foul, and I've polished and waxed the topsides, I nuked the massive wasp nest in the anchor locker and bent on the mainsail.

I've installed the 2nd new battery in the battery bank, and then for good measure, I swabbed out some suspicious looking skid marks in the fuel tank before filling it with 10 gallons of fresh diesel. Turns out the skid marks were nothing. I thought they might be snotties that could clog the fuel pickup, but they were nothing to be concerned about. The tank is really pretty clean.

Hopefully I'll have better news this weekend.

Ajax

If you had wasps up there, did you check the fuel tank vent, bilge pump discharge?

Ajax

If you had wasps up there, did you check the fuel tank vent, bilge pump discharge?

I replaced all cockpit and bilge pump discharge hoses and yes, they had wasps. They're clear now. I'll check the tank vent.

I replaced all cockpit and bilge pump discharge hoses and yes, they had wasps. They're clear now. I'll check the tank vent.

Well, that's how it goes with a new boat ...you have to work the bugs out. :ph34r:

Ajax

holding tank vent too. And inside the mast and boom are likely wasp nest spots.

I'll ream the holding tank vent out with a stiff wire and see what happens.

I've been banging and moving around the boom and disturbing the mast and nothing came out so I think I'm ok there.

When I was replacing the cockpit drain hoses and the bilge pump discharge, I was down in the lazarette which is accessed through a cockpit locker. I'm down in the belly of the boat with no quick and easy escape, unscrewing hose clamps. The first hose was rotted so badly that it simply tore off, leaving a stub on the skin fitting. I heard an angry "BZZZZZZZZ!!!!" and wasps began crawling out of the hose. I hollered to my spousal unit outside the boat to blast water in through the skin fitting to drown the bastards while I was slapping them down with a section of hose.

The boat is on a concrete pad surrounded by a quagmire and a tall, grassy field. Paper wasps are simply migrating to the boat from the field and crawling into cozy, dark places to nest. We watched them do this. I expect to find more when I arrive on Friday.

I've been banging and moving around the boom and disturbing the mast and nothing came out so I think I'm ok there.

When I was replacing the cockpit drain hoses and the bilge pump discharge, I was down in the lazarette which is accessed through a cockpit locker. I'm down in the belly of the boat with no quick and easy escape, unscrewing hose clamps. The first hose was rotted so badly that it simply tore off, leaving a stub on the skin fitting. I heard an angry "BZZZZZZZZ!!!!" and wasps began crawling out of the hose. I hollered to my spousal unit outside the boat to blast water in through the skin fitting to drown the bastards while I was slapping them down with a section of hose.

The boat is on a concrete pad surrounded by a quagmire and a tall, grassy field. Paper wasps are simply migrating to the boat from the field and crawling into cozy, dark places to nest. We watched them do this. I expect to find more when I arrive on Friday.

Wait, wait, time out here. I call BS.

You are married and you are a two boat owner?

I thought that defied the laws of physics and could not happen in this universe?!

You better more fast and get second wife before Einstein find out.

Geeze, next you will be telling me the thing planes...

Ajax

Try to check vent line before launch!

From experience a Universal 5424 will run +/- 20 min at low RPM with a clogged fuel tank vent. Then the lift pump will be unable to draw fuel out of the tank and the engine will stall.

Quick fix is to open fill cap while you motor to the slip.

Wait, wait, time out here. I call BS.

You are married and you are a two boat owner?

I thought that defied the laws of physics and could not happen in this universe?!

You better more fast and get second wife before Einstein find out.

Geeze, next you will be telling me the thing planes...

Simple solution, she owns one, you own one

The Pearson is up for sale. I've already received the obligatory offers from Nigerian scam artists trying to have the boat shipped and pay via fake Paypal accounts.

There's only going to be one keelboat.

I get to keep the Hobie. She has two kayaks of her own, so I ain't the only one suffering from Polynavicular Morbus.

Snore- thanks for the tip on the fuel vent.

Re: Infestations. It's weird, the paper wasps never showed much interest in Arcturus, even when it was on the hard for a year, next to a shed that they love. I mean 12" diameter nests all over it. They usually get in to everything around here. I figured they just don't like plastic.

At the old marina, mud-daubers would build a few small structures on board every year. Nothing where it's moored now.

Lately, we get a lot of visits from honey bees, taking a rest in mid-river. (What? You mean the Queen sent you all the way over to that bush on the other side of the river? What a b___!)

When I got my boat, there was a bird's nest in the boom which is, of course, hollow and open at the aft end. The mud wasps were new during my ownership. All my paper wasp friends are at my house.

The birds that nest under the YC porch sit on my lifelines and shit on the boat.

Birds and mud wasps are a problem in the great White North as well (p.e. it snowed last Monday @#$%^&). I put a balle dup black garbage bag into the end of the boom to keep the birds out.

Re: Infestations. It's weird, the paper wasps never showed much interest in Arcturus, even when it was on the hard for a year, next to a shed that they love. I mean 12" diameter nests all over it. They usually get in to everything around here. I figured they just don't like plastic.

Ah. What you have there is Polistes brentswainus. Might check to see if the nests have been welded.

A sponge in the end of the boom helps!

Ah. What you have there is Polistes brentswainus. Might check to see if the nests have been welded.

Excellent. Good thing I had swallowed my wine before I read that.

A sponge in the end of the boom helps!

Or a honey badger. They eat anything.

Ajax, you can wrap the shaft with a sheet of Mylar and add a grease fitting.

Of the boat?

Splash was supposed to be this past Friday. Fail.

My boat is parked in the "Land of Misfit Toys," way in the back. It's a quagmire back there. I was told that the yard had some gravel brought in and would launch me on Friday. I showed up a week later on Friday, as per my two earlier phone conversations with the yard scheduler, but when I inquired at the office, no one knew what the hell I was talking about and the gravel was still in a big pile. The yard scheduler was out to lunch. They decided the ground was too wet for the travel lift anyway. The scheduler told me to call back Monday.

I called today, as directed. The answer? "We're going to spread some gravel around and launch you on Friday."

So, I have no new pics and no real news except that everything below the waterline has been inspected, repaired or replaced as necessary.

New anti-foul, and I've polished and waxed the topsides, I nuked the massive wasp nest in the anchor locker and bent on the mainsail.

I've installed the 2nd new battery in the battery bank, and then for good measure, I swabbed out some suspicious looking skid marks in the fuel tank before filling it with 10 gallons of fresh diesel. Turns out the skid marks were nothing. I thought they might be snotties that could clog the fuel pickup, but they were nothing to be concerned about. The tank is really pretty clean.

Hopefully I'll have better news this weekend.

It's funny but people want pics of anything boat related myself included. You could have posted pics of the wasp nest!!

I found and find it really hard to photo something while I'm working on it. I just don't think that way.

Looking forward to seeing your boat in the water! Very exciting!

When I moved my old boat from outside Hamilton to Lake Simcoe (~150km? including an explosive tire failure on the 407, good thing the trailer was 2-axle) we discovered a surprised and unhappy mother racoon and her kits under the cockpit.

I called a local exterminator with coon experience, he said, "Leave the hatch open and I'll be she's gone by tomorrow!" ... I was lucky and he was right.

You could also move the hasp to be on the cockpit wall and the staple/latch portion to the hatch. That way when the hatch slams shut the hasp won't slam over the staple. The line around the winch is probably less work though and just about as effective.

That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in.

You could also install a gas strut to hold the hatch open. Verrah nice

15002_output.jpg?t=1189699593

Gee that's a great idea. (Sarcastic font see post 89)

I've seen the struts on caravan boats before, why is it such a bad idea?

Well mine is 80 - requires a healthy reduction valve.

We have about 90 psi water pressure here. I live just down the street from the water plant. They don't have a tower. Giant pump, I guess.

In other water related news, yesterday I received notices that a new water main is to be installed down my driveway, then it will turn and run down my mother's property line next door and out through about 1,000 of swamp to the creek. That should be interesting. They'll basically be doing construction on pudding that is overgrown with vegetation. Airboats and specialized swamp machines can go there but nothing else can.

/h2o hijack

When I moved my old boat from outside Hamilton to Lake Simcoe (~150km? including an explosive tire failure on the 407, good thing the trailer was 2-axle) we discovered a surprised and unhappy mother racoon and her kits under the cockpit.

I called a local exterminator with coon experience, he said, "Leave the hatch open and I'll be she's gone by tomorrow!" ... I was lucky and he was right.

Oh...so lucky I didn't have THAT problem.

In other news, one of my neighbors has sailing experience and seems interested in buying my Pearson 30. That would be terribly convenient.

I stressed that I'd be happy to answer any questions that arise after the purchase and maybe even help with certain maintenance but not to depend on me as his personal mechanic. He seemed to get it.

The week is going by far too slowly. I'm ready, the boat's ready, the rain has finally stopped and it's a holiday weekend that's coming up. I'd really, really like to get it in the water now.

Hoping for a good timely launch for you Ajax!

It will all be worth it first time you take a cruise on the Tartan!

You could also move the hasp to be on the cockpit wall and the staple/latch portion to the hatch. That way when the hatch slams shut the hasp won't slam over the staple. The line around the winch is probably less work though and just about as effective.

That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in.

James, Alcatraz had posted the same idea in post 89 and I had missed it. Hence the sarcasm The struts were on the boat when we bought it and they work like a charm

Oh! Oh! I recently replaced the hood struts on the Beemer, and saved the one that wasn't flat "as a spare." New weekend project! (Also don't forget to add a LED dome light down in there.) Thanks, guys.

Good luck with the launch, Ajax. Assign someone to take some pics, and have fun!

(Also don't forget to add a LED dome light down in there.) Thanks, guys.

!

Screw the dome light. Get some led strip lighting and glue 4-5 feet of LED strip lighting down there. You don't go into the laz often, but when you do, having it lit up like Times Square is handy.

Helps you find all the shit that rolls into the nooks and crannies.

Mr. Johnson,

I design pipelines for a living. I hate dealing with soup posing as soil. I hope your house foundation doesn't decide it wants to join in on the fun once the trench walls start collapsing.

Shu

That was cold!

Having done a fair amount of construction in SFLA, it is most likely sand so they can probably get by with a 4' ditch, and no shoring. At the worst they will probably drag a trench box.

Karma is a bitch. Don't get PJ riled :)

I'll swing by mid week and report on the gravel and any improved ground conditions.

Some gravel down and two more loads at the ready. Still pretty soft looking (was on a conference call so couldn't get out of the car and walk around any). Yard appears to be trying hard to not screw it up again.

Possible t-storms in the afternoon now. I'm going to call them and ask to be splashed around 10am, so they'll need to keep the heat on and spread that rock.

Not a replacement for a proper positive closure device (e.g. hasp or better), though.

That's the way C&C set it up. Still hurts when it slams down on you, but at least you don't get locked in

Not a replacement for a proper positive closure device (e.g. hasp or better), though.

Looks a lot better than a piece of lastic round the primary though, and you get the nice whoosh noise

LOL @ the "whoosh" noise.

My spies have informed me that the yard has finished filling in the travel lift path with gravel, so there should be no impediment to splashing tomorrow.

Once it's in the water though, it all comes down to whether or not I did my maintenance right. I need 3 things to happen tomorrow:

-Water stays on the right side of the hull.

-Jib goes up without a fuss (roller furling)

-Engine runs as well as it did during the demo.

Luff groove cleaned and lubed?

I don't have the little groove cleaning thingy that you attach to the halyard but I do have a plan.

What Sailman says...but use the oldest, rattiest jib first....then switch the the good one, and spray that one to...

LOL @ the "whoosh" noise.

My spies have informed me that the yard has finished filling in the travel lift path with gravel, so there should be no impediment to splashing tomorrow.

Once it's in the water though, it all comes down to whether or not I did my maintenance right. I need 3 things to happen tomorrow:

-Water stays on the right side of the hull.

-Jib goes up without a fuss (roller furling)

-Engine runs as well as it did during the demo.

Fingers crossed for you and the Teal Wonder!

Ajax, Congrats on the new boat, boy am I late to this party! When I have some time I'll start at the beginning and get caught up.

No longer "discarded," this boat is owned with love and will be for a long, long time.

There was some more fuss at the yard when the travel lift sank again, even after genuine, solid efforts to fill the whole area in with gravel. We've had that much rain. The yard folks persevered, got the lift free and got me out, and into the water (frankly, I think they just wanted to see my stern disappear into the sun, never to return).

I had some water pump issues which I have sorted out just this morning and with some help. Finally got the 5-6 year old engine oil changed as well. The boat sails really sweetly. A small jib is a joy to tack.

Stuck again:

2nsc5uc.jpg

Free, and moving at last:

j5v6f5.jpg

Wet after a very long dry spell:

2liwnd5.jpg

Sailing... still lots of work to do, so ignore the vang disaster going on there. That's PO repair.

29ypkas.jpg

Safe at a "layover port" before I bring 'er home.

33mrfbn.jpg

Very cool, very very cool, good going Ajax.

33mrfbn.jpg

Ajax, I'm a uni student in the uk who's about to do what you did. Me and my bbuying partner are doing the same as you, tahnkyou foer the confidence to do it!

Glad for you. Looks like all is going well. Thanks for the pics.

I have and on occasion fly a 150 Genoa, but the 135 is a perfect size on the boat. T-33's are a joy to sail.

Thanks for the play by play. I had fun watching from the cyber bleachers. Sweet boat in the right hands.

33mrfbn.jpg

Is a sideways slip like that less expensive than the normal kind? Isn't it a bit awkward adjusting the docklines?

FB- Doug

33mrfbn.jpg

Yep. Layed over real good. ;)

Congratulations on a successful launch and a good first trip.

Now, all you have to do is to get rid of the old boat.

Ajax, glad to see your new boat is floating! Good luck!

Mr. Johnson,

I design pipelines for a living. I hate dealing with soup posing as soil. I hope your house foundation doesn't decide it wants to join in on the fun once the trench walls start collapsing.

The proposed route is hundreds of feet from my house. The part they will be trenching is sand.

The acquisition guy on the phone said that when they got to the swamp and creek, which is about a mile wide, they plan to drill a hole under the creek. He said it would be 30-40 feet under the surface. There's limestone down there.

Cool beans!

... Hmm. I've never seen a travellift operator dressed quite like that. I guess they don't have OSHA back east? Back where the people who make up these laws live...

Cool beans!

... Hmm. I've never seen a travellift operator dressed quite like that. I guess they don't have OSHA back east? Back where the people who make up these laws live...

He's good! (gummint inspectors don't work on holiday weekends....)

So I'm going to have to be the one eh? No one else here going to mention it?

Swap the jib sheets over ffs.

Happy for you my friend, looks good and looks like it'll sail very nicely.

So I'm going to have to be the one eh? No one else here going to mention it?

Swap the jib sheets over ffs.

Happy for you my friend, looks good and looks like it'll sail very nicely.

Lol, yeah yeah, I know! I was in a hurry. For some reason, my jibs don't have UV covers sewn on them so I'll fix it when I take the jib down.

Congratulations- great to see that boat make the water. Have fun.

Congrats Ajax...very solid!!!

Thank you for sharing this project online, really inspiring for the rest of us! I'm like you, I can't swing 5 figures for a boat so I try to bring abandond dreams back to life...

Think when I finally pull the trigger on the next "bring out another thousand" I'm gonna have to try this "help advise me on getting my project boat seaworthy" thread idea...

If someone does want to emulate AJax, here is a candidate vessel:

00f0f_5eXpOyLj4IG_600x450.jpg

1980 O'Day 30' $2000 or FREE with SLIP - $2000 (Clinton, CT)

1980 30' Sailboat ABANDONED at Cedar Island Marina. Engine in working condition when winterized 4 years ago. Interior needs work. Boat sold AS IS.

We will give the boat for free with the signing of a summer slip at Cedar Island Marina, Clinton, CT. Contact Kris for more details.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/5595387568.html

Your schedule from purchase to splash was awesome, Ajax. Here when the thick, cold morning marine layer tempts me procrastinate, I think, "What would Ajax do?"

Your schedule from purchase to splash was awesome, Ajax. Here when the thick, cold morning marine layer tempts me procrastinate, I think, "What would Ajax do?"

The motivation was caused by hemorrhaging money to a boat yard and a boat over an hour away, plus missing sailing days. Well, plus I really want to sail this boat.

Still plenty of work to do, you know.

The electrics look like something Lucas Industries did in a drunken fit. Depth and speed don't work. The toilet is...a nightmare. Needs replacement.

Water tanks need scrubbing out, sterilization and recommissioning.

Toilet needs replacement.

LPG system for the stove needs total replacement.

Toilet needs replacement.

Cabin sole needs replacement.

Please post here on the cabin sole replacement. As soon as I get the starboard tank replaced or 100% thigh I need to do that.

Oh yeah-- the starboard tanks are notorious for leaking just enough to f-up the sole.

The sole failed because the cockpit flooded, then water ran down into the cabin, eventually filled the bilge and sogged up the sole. Luckily, it was stopped before reaching the engine.

It seems fairly straightforward except for a small, curved section up near the head door. Probably (hopefully?) just some kerfs cut in the underside.

Hah, John Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. You have to admit, the boy did something right. To get the lights and ignition to consistently not work in Jaguars, MG's, Triumphs, BSAs and Austins.... that took some doing. Perhaps it's a dubious achievement, but it's an achievement nonetheless.

BTW, in your work list, you mention twice that the toilet needs to be replaced. It must really be awful to have to replace it twice. ;-D But seriously, nice boat. Congrats on getting her splashed. There's a T-33 in my marina. I was looking at it this weekend... it's a nice looking boat but not as prettily painted as yours.

Hah, John Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. You have to admit, the boy did something right. To get the lights and ignition to consistently not work in Jaguars, MG's, Triumphs, BSAs and Austins.... that took some doing. Perhaps it's a dubious achievement, but it's an achievement nonetheless.

BTW, in your work list, you mention twice that the toilet needs to be replaced. It must really be awful to have to replace it twice. ;-D But seriously, nice boat. Congrats on getting her splashed. There's a T-33 in my marina. I was looking at it this weekend... it's a nice looking boat but not as prettily painted as yours.

Actually, that was three times. Suggests a certain... Urgency.

(Actually, since our pump-out is closed six months of the year, I just train myself not to use the head. With... Mixed results. )

3X because it's fuggin' disgusting. I'm a 20 year Navy man and scrubbed my share of nasty shitters and this is bad.

Brits drink warm beer because Lucas makes their refridgerators :lol:

Get some of this for your "Lucas" electrical system.

post-95343-0-54993900-1464726277_thumb.jpg

The beer wouldn't be consistently warm if Lucas made their fridges. It'd be warm sometimes (mostly when you wanted it cold) and cold other times (mostly when you wanted it room temperature) and the lights would only come on when the door shut, and you'd have to try five times to get the door shut, ten times if you had company. I prattle on but it's the voice of experience. I had a 1967 MGB. It was like dating a redhead with bipolar disorder. Wonderful when it worked, but apt to leave you in the hurt bucket at the worst possible times... like driving home at night in a rain storm. Did I mention the windshield wipers were apparently Labourites that would go on strike whenever they were asked to do some work? At least it was fast, it handled well and the engine really howled, the dual Weber carbs worked great, at least when they weren't dripping gas onto the engine block daring it to catch fire. I could always find it in a mall parking lot though - just walk in a circle, then follow the smell of leaking gas and deteriorating rubber.

Funny car. My grandmother owned a Mercedes 220D of the same vintage and it worked fine for 25 years until she sold it. Teenage me used to take that car out for "maintenance purposes," and to answer the question you're thinking, roughly 105 MPH on a downhill. The lights always worked, as did the brakes, and it always started on time and nothing leaked. It didn't seem like a proper car after driving the MG.

I always get a chuckle out of the grief poor Lucas gets...I had a '77 MGB, and once I got the wiring mods "undone" and things back to the way Lucas intended, it was a very reliable car, particularly from an electrical standpoint...just had to keep the grounds clean...and there were a good 1/2 dozen or more of them too...

But I drove the car as a daily driver for 11 years, rain, snow, whatever. Took the car to Spain with me when the Navy sent me there. Drove it up and down I-64 and I-95 between DC and Norfolk for 4 years (at 70mph with a standard 4 speed). As long as you looked after it, it did fine...

Lucas gets a lot of well deserved grief for making such abortions as positive ground electrical systems and for their less than stellar quality but they also carry the can for a lot of problems caused by British manufacturers and workers.

Missing grommets on the firewall causing wires to chafe through? Lucas's fault.

Engine designed with the distributor under the thermostat housing where it catches condensation drips with subsequent hard starting? Lucas's fault.

Badly installed windshield seal allowing water to leak into the dash and short things out? Lucas's fault.

And so on and so forth.