Sign in to follow this  
The Shadow

Most Over-rated big name rock bands

Prince

troll

Maybe a troll, and maybe not; How many here praising his talent up one side and down t'other were active Prince fans before he unexpectedly passed on?

I raise my hand high.

Me too. I don't consider myself a big fan of his music. But I am a big fan of his talent and do enjoy his music. Long before his death I would praise and defend him as a great musician.

In all seriousness, he clearly was a talented musician. Really, you rarely get to that level of financial success without talent far above the vast number of musicians in the world. My wife's nephew is a heck of a musician and played back to the Chili Peppers on some stuff (toured as well). He just couldn't break through. He is still in the business doing road work managing for another pretty popular band and is still a pretty amazing musician. Until I started trying to play a stringed instrument since I retired (still taking lessons with Mrs PB as well) I had no frigging idea how unbelievably hard it actually is and have developed a whole new respect for people who have and develop the gift of making music.

So...........I am not a Prince fan............I have no Prince music..............nor will I.............but yes, I'm sure he was a remarkable musician. Boring...............but remarkable...........remarkably boring...........

I can't help myself..........

You guys are cold. Ronnie Van Zandt over rated? He was only 29 when he died.

Where do you put Men At Work?

right with all the other Aussie bands :ph34r:

I know, I know. Crowded House ,INXS and a few others were pretty good

overrated:

Arcade Fire

Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Greenday

Maroon 5 (or buffoon 5 as I like to call them)

Radiohead

The Talking Heads

Oasis

Hey Cap - you didn't like "New Orleans is Sinking"?

i can't help but think AC/DC is now totally and utterly fucked by putting that cock-womble Axl Rose up front.

AMEN! they'd have been much better off bringin' in some new unknown kid (like Journey did to replace Steve Perry) than the fat, monotone fuckin' Axl Rose.

there are some Hip songs I like, but I just think they are overrated...Day For Night is the only album I like from them.

I like just about anything and there's not much I hate in the way of music....this is the reason why music is so great. There is no good or bad, it's everyone's own opinion and you can;t take that away from somebody

bull shit. There absolutely is good and bad.

Don't make me go on Dacapo.

I count over produced in with over rated. Still #1 in that category: Led Z. Was very impressed when first heard them, down hill since then. Not a fan of whiny singers either.

Last few years got a chance to catch some acts and Bruce S and Elton John both friggin awesome. great shows, you can tell they love to perform and live are better than any recordings. I was dragged to both and was most surprised.

edit:

Never was a Prince fan but recently saw some video of his guitar playing. Most impressive and based on what I saw (which wasn't much) would put him in the elite.

Tom Petty: I like a lot of his stuff, biggest disappointment seeing him live was how f'in loud they played. ouch.

I count over produced in with over rated. Still #1 in that category: Led Z. Was very impressed when first heard them, down hill since then. Not a fan of whiny singers either.

Last few years got a chance to catch some acts and Bruce S and Elton John both friggin awesome. great shows, you can tell they love to perform and live are better than any recordings. I was dragged to both and was most surprised.

I never got to see Elton John live, but Tumbleweed Connection is one of my all time favorites. Still have the vinyl. Somewhere....I think.

Bands I fucking loath that somehow became popular;

38 Special

Chicago

(I really actually never liked Prince's music but realize he is an epic musician)

Phil Collins or anything related to Phil Collins

Eagles

Jefferson Starship, Airplane etc..

Joe Cocker

B-52s (I am from Georgia and still think they sucked)

Green Day (fake punk)

Chili Peppers (fake punk)

Offspring (really bad and fake punk)

Billy Idol

Are you 90 years old? Nothin' but Elvis Presley is Rock-n-Roll? Lyrically illiterate?

nope. I am in my 40's. Those bands all just suck. I love real punk and hate the fake shit with a flaming passion. And 70's soft rock ala Chicago is one of the vilest musical styles ever recorded.

'Nuff said. Punk != rock 'n roll - punk is all about expression of angst, musicality is a distant 3rd consideration, at best. Nuttin' against it, but, if that's where your tastes lie, if helps to afford the appropriate consideration to your opinion on differing musical gendres.

BTW - I like Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Dropkick Murphys, etc - but, they aren't musical by any stretch.

Gotta say that I think some of you just don't like rock and blues....

And to the fugger who said Mellencamp was over-rated? You probably liked Milli Vanilli. (or however the hell that lyp-synching mess was spelled).

I'd say that most of the bands mentioned here had some good tunes, that people liked. Isn't that the point of music after all, to play something that makes people feel? Anybody who is capable of doing that is due the recognition they get for doing so.

Fark - I even like Buckeye Rooster and The Buicks!

fuck mellencamp,. there's an overrated pop-hack if there was one. i dont know who milli is but i suppose i'll keep it that way.

You must be unaware. My basis? Mellencamp was up and coming (playing Co fairs and such) when I was a young teenager. Saw him live several times before "I need a lover" was produced. Good lyricist, decent band, but, the combination has been enjoyed by several generations over the past 35 years. You don't like him? Cool. hack? Not at all.

Ahhhh. Well this thread has me all misty and nostalgic (sounds like a Led Zep song title). I'm currently remodeling our master bath and have the room torn to studs and subfloor and doing the rough wiring today (setting the boxes and running the wire) which involves some attic work. It also happens to be raining so I'm gonna head up there, fire up some Zep, Stones, Hendrix, Janice, the Dead and lots of other dead guys on my Bose as loud as I can get it and run romex while the rain hits the roof. Should be trippy...........

(I hate pulling 12/3..........its so stiff.)

So..................

overrated:

Arcade Fire

Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Greenday

Radiohead

The Talking Heads

Oasis

i can't help but think AC/DC is now totally and utterly fucked by putting that cock-womble Axl Rose up front.

AMEN! they'd have been much better off bringin' in some new unknown kid (like Journey did to replace Steve Perry) than the fat, monotone fuckin' Axl Rose.

there are some Hip songs I like, but I just think they are overrated...Day For Night is the only album I like from them.

I like just about anything and there's not much I hate in the way of music....this is the reason why music is so great. There is no good or bad, it's everyone's own opinion and you can;t take that away from somebody

I never really heard Tragically Hip played or pumped very much - always considered them a kind of obscure group. I like lots of stuff - try not to hate on most of it. I guess trying to be a part-time musician myself makes me a bit more inclined to appreciate the effort that goes into any performance, whether it's a style I like or not.

38 Special

Chicago

(I really actually never liked Prince's music but realize he is an epic musician)

Eagles

Joe Cocker

Green Day (fake punk)

Billy Idol

Are you 90 years old? Nothin' but Elvis Presley is Rock-n-Roll? Lyrically illiterate?

nope. I am in my 40's. Those bands all just suck. I love real punk and hate the fake shit with a flaming passion. And 70's soft rock ala Chicago is one of the vilest musical styles ever recorded.

'Nuff said. Punk != rock 'n roll - punk is all about expression of angst, musicality is a distant 3rd consideration, at best. Nuttin' against it, but, if that's where your tastes lie, if helps to afford the appropriate consideration to your opinion on differing musical gendres.

BTW - I like Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Dropkick Murphys, etc - but, they aren't musical by any stretch.

I love regular rock n' roll as well! Beatles, Stones, David Bowie, Queen, Black Keys etc... all mainstream rock and fantastic.

38 Special

Chicago

Eagles

Joe Cocker

Green Day (fake punk)

Billy Idol

I love regular rock n' roll as well! Beatles, Stones, David Bowie, Queen, Black Keys etc... all mainstream rock and fantastic.

We play a lot of that in my band, as well. ( I keep a couple guitars tuned to Open E and Open G)

If you enjoy stuff a little raw, have you ever listened to Rival Sons?

and I thought I was the only mufucka on earth who even knew who Gentle Giant (was?/is?)

Fleetwood Mac were fairly good up until they quit playing blues. If you can find it, try "English Rose."

We play a lot of that in my band, as well. ( I keep a couple guitars tuned to Open E and Open G)

If you enjoy stuff a little raw, have you ever listened to Rival Sons?

had not listened to them yet but am on my third song on youtube now. Thanks Guy

NP - bought tickets for Ozzy @ Nissan this summer, solely because Rival Sons is opening. Not planning to stay for Ozzy.

they had 3 billboard top 100 hits....someone liked them they had 3 gold record (1 million records sold) someone bought the music....my opinion is that sucks ass, but to someone else, maybe not?? see ....

ps..you sound like my students who don't get the whole.....like/dislike thing is an OPINION and not a fact

and that's my opinion ;-)

and I thought I was the only mufucka on earth who even knew who Gentle Giant (was?/is?)

At least 3 or 4 of my friends are into 'em too, so maybe we're up to half a dozen ?? <_<

Gotta say that I think some of you just don't like rock and blues....

And to the fugger who said Mellencamp was over-rated? You probably liked Milli Vanilli. (or however the hell that lyp-synching mess was spelled).

I'd say that most of the bands mentioned here had some good tunes, that people liked. Isn't that the point of music after all, to play something that makes people feel? Anybody who is capable of doing that is due the recognition they get for doing so.

Fark - I even like Buckeye Rooster and The Buicks!

Mellencamp=vanilla

Crowded house is more nz than aus.

Saw colin hay perform. Excellent song writer.

Fleetwood Mac were fairly good up until they quit playing blues. If you can find it, try "English Rose."

The original Fleetwood Mac were a great blues band. They morphed into one of the world's most solid, talented pop bands when Buckingham and Nicks joined up.

NP - bought tickets for Ozzy @ Nissan this summer, solely because Rival Sons is opening. Not planning to stay for Ozzy.

Don't be so quick to dismiss Ozzy. I saw him a couple of years ago and I have to say my expectations weren't high but for nostalgia's sake I went. I was pleasantly surprised, I think he sounded better then he did when he was younger. He did all the Black Sabbath classics and it was a very good show.

overrated:

Arcade Fire

Tragically Hip

Barenaked Ladies

Greenday

Radiohead

The Talking Heads

Oasis

OK ED, that's enough posting from you today. Besides the earbug threads several doors down the hallway.

Well this is probably a whole other thread....

But there are some really great songs......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTqMuspVCbc

Hey Hobot, guess who is playing bass? Hint, he often played bass on McCartney's albums since McC was busy running the show.

Hold on for a minute, S'Ed has wrecked my mind for a bit.

OK, Herbie's on bass?

Ding, ding, ding.

Many, many years ago I went to see The Moody Blues. Now pretty much anyone who knows of The Moody Blues knows that John Lodge has been their forever bass player, right? So I go to see this show, Michael Pinder, who was the founding keyboard player/songwriter didn't wish to tour for personal reasons. The episode lead to lawsuits and all that and Patrick Moraz (who replaced Rick Wakeman in YES) took over on keyboards. John Lodge sat out that tour because of the turmoil surrounding the band. Wanna guess who played bass? In fact if you look up the discography of The Moody Blues, good old Herbie Flowers has a lot of Moody Blues music to his credit.

If the category in Jeopardy final question was Musicians and Songs and you hadn't a clue what the correct answer was, you would stand a pretty good shot answering "Herbie Flowers"!

Well this is probably a whole other thread....

But there are some really great songs......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTqMuspVCbc

Hey Hobot, guess who is playing bass? Hint, he often played bass on McCartney's albums since McC was busy running the show.

Hold on for a minute, S'Ed has wrecked my mind for a bit.

OK, Herbie's on bass?

You need to be pissed of at Dacapo, not me! He asked for that.

Here, maybe this will help you fell better.

Stop being a dick Ed.

All this stuff is highly subjective and all are entitled to their opinions. But we don't need you purposefully trashing what other wise is a solid subject that we can discuss and all have a mutual interest in.

Now go get another glass of red wine and mellow out a bit.

I am a bit surprised that no one said The Beatles were overrated. It is a hard one for sure. They sort of lead the British Invasion and changed music for the better. No doubt and big props. But were they all that good? They grew to be a pretty solid band, but they couldn't really play any of it live.

Stop being a dick Ed.

All this stuff is highly subjective and all are entitled to their opinions. But we don't need you purposefully trashing what other wise is a solid subject that we can discuss and all have a mutual interest in.

Now go get another glass of red wine and mellow out a bit.

Lighten up Francis. It's not like I Rick Rolled you. You can see the artist and song title, you don't have to click on the play button. I agree the subject is subjective but I want to make the point that if you are older than 13, some music is just plain bad. I'll stop now.

I am a bit surprised that no one said The Beatles were overrated. It is a hard one for sure. They sort of lead the British Invasion and changed music for the better. No doubt and big props. But were they all that good? They grew to be a pretty solid band, but they couldn't really play any of it live.

Well, you've hit a great point. Musician? Live musician - the Dead, Stones? Studio - Beatles, Beach Boys? I saw ZZ Top a year or two ago............they came out and crushed 2 or 3 classics and then Dusty stepped up to the mic and said........."4 decades built on 4 chords and still selling out concerts........go figure".....then they crushed another classic set with Gibbons as good as ever. Great guitarist but the music was not complicated, just plain ole Texas Boogie........and loud........

I think the problem with/for the Beatles was a lot of it was contrived music. Made great not on the stage but by folks like George Martin in the studio. They, the band, got to the point where they knew they couldn't deliver any of that in a live show. Live shows were their roots and foundations so that was as much as a problem as personality conflicts and wives etc.

I often (okay once in a blue moon) wonder what would have happened if The Beatles had stayed together. That the concept of touring with a full orchestra had come to be. What would have The Beatles been like touring with a full orchestra, like the Eagles did with Hotel California or ELP did with FanFare for the Common Man/Works. Those were some amazing shows to see and frankly it didn't matter the band at the center of it. It was the production, the show, that magnitude of it all. I think the Beatles would have thrived in such a setting.

Nobody said cuz it would be mighty difficult to over rate The Beatles. They grew as a band every album, mastered or invented many styles of rock and were never afraid to experiment or push boundaries. When they did innovate the results were consistently excellent. They also left us wanting more and never put out a bad album.

Any band where George Harrison could be over shadowed by two people....

Fully agree.

Absolutely. From Meet the Beatles to SGT Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in a few short years. One of their talents was to keep reinventing themselves and evolving and innovating.

Well, you've hit a great point. Musician? Live musician - the Dead, Stones? Studio - Beatles, Beach Boys? I saw ZZ Top a year or two ago............they came out and crushed 2 or 3 classics and then Dusty stepped up to the mic and said........."4 decades built on 4 chords and still selling out concerts........go figure".....then they crushed another classic set with Gibbons as good as ever. Great guitarist but the music was not complicated, just plain ole Texas Boogie........and loud........

I saw ZZ Top last summer at a small outdoor venue, no more than about 3-4,000 people in the audience. I was expecting a campy type nostalgia show. They played 1 1/2 hours of solid, down and dirty Texas blues rock and they were great.

The Beatles were masters. As Malcolm Gladwell wrote, they put in their 10,000 hours of practice in a four year endless stream of concerts in Hamburg. As an aside, Outliers is a very cool book and worthwhile read.

Saw Colin Hay live last year. I really enjoyed his show. They guy is a pretty good songwriter and entertainer. I'd go see him again in a minute.

Im not reading this whole thing.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Foo Fighters

I change the station as soon as i recognize the band.

They suck.

OK, the ones I think were overrated (more fame/fortune than their musicianship should allow):

Aerosmith

Beach Boys

Rolling Stones

Styx

Journey

AC/DC

Metallica

Bon Jovi

Grateful Dead

Eagles

Bruce Springsteen

Bob Seeger

ELO

Fleetwood Mac

Foreigner

Paul McCartney (as a solo act)

Def Leppard

KISS

10 CC

Supertramp

Ted Nugent

Bad Company

REO Speedwagon

Lynyrd Skynrd

The ones I think deserved more attention :

Gentle Giant

King Crimson

Brand X

Gong

Pat Metheny

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Horslips

Happy the Man

Steely Dan

Dixie Dregs

Hawkwind

Robin Trower

Alan Parsons

Camel

Steve Hillage

Jade Warrior

Obviously my age and musical preferences are on display here...

O Joe, O Joe, there are a few names on your first list that I love and some on your second list that I despise (I'm looking at you in particular Steely Dan). I guess that what makes the world interesting, we all have different tastes.

I dislike Steely Dan intensely.

Of course I've never liked Yes, either. That's why ice cream comes in flavors I suppose.

Don't be so quick to dismiss Ozzy. I saw him a couple of years ago and I have to say my expectations weren't high but for nostalgia's sake I went. I was pleasantly surprised, I think he sounded better then he did when he was younger. He did all the Black Sabbath classics and it was a very good show.

He's a good showman. I'd love to catch the final Sabbath tour when it comes through this part of the world, but it's hard to justify.

Saw Colin Hay live last year. I really enjoyed his show. They guy is a pretty good songwriter and entertainer. I'd go see him again in a minute.

As long as his wife stays home!

I suppose nobody likes Roy Orbison, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash or Johnny Horton either!!!!

<_< Sheesh..........

I'm not a huge fan of the others. But I loves me some Johnny Cash!

Prince

+1

+2 considering many of his fans feel he is the greatest musician since Beethoven, yea, I would rank him as maybe THE most overrated

Prince

+1

+2 considering many of his fans feel he is the greatest musician since Beethoven, yea, I would rank him as maybe THE most overrated

Overrated by whom, exactly? Sure, there are some over-the-top fans who are making wild claims, but I think the general consensus is that Prince was a brilliant musician, composer, and performer. I think this is a fair assessment.

Ranking like this is odious. Jeff Beck is a way better guitarist than Beethoven. Beethoven couldn't sing worth shit, but he could probably sing better than Neil Young. Sure, some musicians are objectively better than others. I am objectively and subjectively a lower-tier bassplayer. But after a point it just becomes preference.

Fully agree.

Absolutely. From Meet the Beatles to SGT Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in a few short years. One of their talents was to keep reinventing themselves and evolving and innovating.

Reinventing themselves or growing into who they were to be? I sort of think the latter. Once they decided they could please themselves musically, rather than fit some record company vision of what they should be, that made all the difference.

Over rated...? I'm wondering what the criteria is.

Hotel California would have to be one of the most pretentious and sickly songs ever written.

Apart from that..What does Overrated mean?

Some bands are not virtuoso musically but are hugely enjoyable.

The Ramones

Billy Idol

The Pixies

fall into this catagory

Joe Cocker over rated ??? while I was too young to appreciate his talent at the time and find his mainstream hits a bit meh..his early blues stuff is amazing.

Elvis Costello..great songwriter.

Ditto Talking heads and they were great performers.

I feel there's an underapreciation of Punk going on here :D

I suppose nobody likes Roy Orbison, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash or Johnny Horton either!!!!

<_< Sheesh..........

Johnny Cash is a god!

Waylon? Willie?

Listening to a little Jack Johnson and Zac Brown right now....having a gin & tonic and getting ready to steam a BIG bucket of littlenecks on the BBQ for the kids and Mrs PB. Baguettes are ready to dip. Our son-in-law who is a professional brewer is bringing over some of his new Belgian sours........

Ya'll should lighten up, Shadow hit it a while ago. Lotsa musical tastes.................I have a VERY diverse playlist (no Prince though..... :lol: ). Life is too short not to...............

Nir-fucking-vana.

They were a brief, admittedly influential, blip in the history of music as pioneers of grunge but we have a radio station (MMM) programmer in this town who is totally fucking obsessed with them and we hear their tracks incessantly, every day. Talk about over representation!

I did like their stuff back when but now I just switch off at the first recognisable note. I would really like to take Cobain's shotgun to the next MMM program content meeting and put it to good use - Cunts!

Not one mention of Boston? they had only one sound, every song sounds the same....

I'll put

Billy Joel

Guns N' Roses

Oasis

Beck

Crosby Stills & Nash without Young

Sting, not the Police

Bon Jovi

Kansas

Genesis

Hootie & the Blowfish

Journey

Iggy Pop

Not one mention of Boston? they had only one sound, every song sounds the same....

Genesis

Agree 1000% on Boston.

Gabriel's Genesis was phenomenal, Collins fucked up the group's legacy.

How the fuck can I read through 160 posts and none of you wankers has the sense to mention the single most over rated band of all fucking time - Rush.

I fucking hate Rush.

Did I mention I fucking hate Rush.

MS

i don't recall seeing anyone mention Nickelback, either.

Complete drivel.

50,000,000 twats have bought their albums.

"the second best-selling foreign act in the U.S. of the 2000s, behind The Beatles"

holy fuck!

i don't recall seeing anyone mention Nickelback, either.

Complete drivel.

50,000,000 twats have bought their albums.

"the second best-selling foreign act in the U.S. of the 2000s, behind The Beatles"

holy fuck!

That is frightening.

You know what I mean. More hype than hip. More noise than sound. More marketing than music.

This ought to be fun.

Led Zeppelin

Really? Did you ever see them play live? Awesome performance, never seen a better concert, and I have seen a few. Ah well, each to their own.

Yes. Page was too f'ed up to even stand. One of the worst shows I have ever seen actually.

Although I did see him with The Firm as well and he was very good but nothing spectacular..

Why all the Eagles hate??

And PS- yes Prince was YOOOOGELY overrated.

I think most people, deep down in their hearts, really like the Eagles,

but wont admit it, since the 4th or 5th time they watched The Big Lebowksi

Yes. Page was too f'ed up to even stand. One of the worst shows I have ever seen actually.

Although I did see him with The Firm as well and he was very good but nothing spectacular..

Oh well. I saw Led Zeppelin in Cleveland in 1977, they were fantastic. I am pretty sure the band wasn't too fucked up but I was so high or the first hour of the show I don't remember much about what they were playing except it was some really good blues. We were in about the 10th row center and before the show started people were passing joints down the rows pretty much constantly. I think I overindulged. It was a 3 hour concert and I came down enough to enjoy the last 2 hours very much.

Gabriel's Genesis was phenomenal, Collins fucked up the group's legacy.

Probably not overrated, I just don't like the music... a big difference... Now, Peter Grabriel, one of his concerts was one of the best I've seen and I have seen quite a few bands...

Has anyone mentioned the Grateful Dead yet? Most overrated band, like, ever.

Poking the bear...........

Poking the bear...........

I saw what you did there...

chunky_magnet_95060_nmr_grateful_dead_be

Journey, how could they go unmentioned in this thread while Perry was still with them.

Journey, how could they go unmentioned in this thread while Perry was still with them.

I don't think Journey was the greatest of all time by any stretch, but they were pretty decent for their era. They were the first live concert I ever saw, so I'm a but biased.

The one's I do think of that era and genre that were a bit over-rated are: Styx, REO Speedwagon and Kansas.

The Beetles. I'm not a fan..... :ph34r:

Not a single mention of the drivel released these days - "5 Seconds of Summer" WTF is that crap!

Kayne West now lets talk overrated, this guy is the king.

The Beatles stopped touring and went to the studio because they saw no point in playing to a crowd of screaming people who did not hear the music anyway, they figured they could achieve more in the studio, which I think they did. By now way are the Beatles overrated, they where the leaders in change for the music industry.

thankfully, that clown does not even rate a mention in this thread, given that it is far from 'rock'

I have no idea how you would classify the product from this buffoon, other than to say that a teenager's unwashed wank-sock is a better musician on all levels.

You know what I mean. More hype than hip. More noise than sound. More marketing than music.

This ought to be fun.

Led Zeppelin

when the levee breaks, tonight, on repeat, entire race, 120 decibels......just for you spanky garcia!

I don't think Journey was the greatest of all time by any stretch, but they were pretty decent for their era. They were the first live concert I ever saw, so I'm a but biased.

The one's I do think of that era and genre that were a bit over-rated are: Styx, REO Speedwagon and Kansas.

Post #91 boys...

thankfully, that clown does not even rate a mention in this thread, given that it is far from 'rock' music

I have no idea how you would classify the product from this buffoon, other than to say that a teenager's unwashed wank-sock is a better musician on all levels.

FIFY

• If we are going down the Kanye and Beyonce cute then we can't ignore MArron 5- th kings of over rated shite.