Sign in to follow this  
The Shadow

Most Over-rated big name rock bands

Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!

Holy crap you really got it bad. But know this, when Springsteen is dead and gone, no one will give a flyin' fuk. Sure you will shed some tears, the lady who owns the diner where I eat breakfast will be sad for weeks, but it will all pass.

Some 20 years after Jerry Garcia died, the members of The Grateful Dead reunited to celebrate their 50th year. Even without their leaders Garcia, or Pigpen or any number of band members who had untimely deaths, the band keeps playing on to sold out shows with Tres Anistasio of Phish sitting in. Phil Lesh, there long time bass player, didn't want to tour any longer. Set up a restaurant in California and plays there with some friends on a regular basis. So the Grateful Dead have done what they always have done, reinvent themselves. Hire John Mayer and Oteil Burbridge (Allman Bros. Band)....and the band keeps playin' on to sold out venues and without Jerry Garcia.

Tell me Soak_ed, will the East Street Band carry on when Bruce is long dead and buried? How about The Stones when Jagger drops dead? There is something about The Band Beyond Description............

Bruce fuckin' Springsteen, give it a fuckin' rest already.

Like I said, haters gonna hate. I prefer music to the Grateful Dead.

I like the Grateful Dead.............

Bastard! I am going over to PA and change my vote in your bracket!
;)

I like the Grateful Dead.............

Bastard! I am going over to PA and change my vote in your bracket!

Hatteres gonna Hatte!!! :)

Greatful they're gone (dead)

Heavy airship (led Zeppelin)

The coward who milks the fact he was rejected from us army and got a pass from Nam yet thinks he's a vested American (Bruce dunderhead)

Michael jackson (I don't like anyone who at an adult age thinks having slumber parties with children is cool)

pretty much most bands who play dockside tropical cafe/bar marathon Florida, hated going past the place and hearing the noise coming over their P.A. Those yrs I lived there. So glad when my friends left that side the harbor and moved to the west end of the harbor where the classy bars in boot key harbor are...Eric and Kim's bar dockside tropical cafe/bar doesn't impress, too much Monroe county sheriffs calls for service there too!

Kinda feel the same about Bull/Whistle/Garden of Eden in key west, any music they hire seems to blow chunks also...

Greatful they're gone (dead)

Heavy airship (led Zeppelin)

The coward who milks the fact he was rejected from us army and got a pass from Nam yet thinks he's a vested American (Bruce dunderhead)

Michael jackson (I don't like anyone who at an adult age thinks having slumber parties with children is cool)

pretty much most bands who play dockside tropical cafe/bar marathon Florida, hated going past the place and hearing the noise coming over their P.A. Those yrs I lived there. So glad when my friends left that side the harbor and moved to the west end of the harbor where the classy bars in boot key harbor are...Eric and Kim's bar dockside tropical cafe/bar doesn't impress, too much Monroe county sheriffs calls for service there too!

Kinda feel the same about Bull/Whistle/Garden of Eden in key west, any music they hire seems to blow chunks also...

you neede bettere mussice :)

:)

Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!

Holy crap you really got it bad. But know this, when Springsteen is dead and gone, no one will give a flyin' fuk. Sure you will shed some tears, the lady who owns the diner where I eat breakfast will be sad for weeks, but it will all pass.

Some 20 years after Jerry Garcia died, the members of The Grateful Dead reunited to celebrate their 50th year. Even without their leaders Garcia, or Pigpen or any number of band members who had untimely deaths, the band keeps playing on to sold out shows with Tres Anistasio of Phish sitting in. Phil Lesh, there long time bass player, didn't want to tour any longer. Set up a restaurant in California and plays there with some friends on a regular basis. So the Grateful Dead have done what they always have done, reinvent themselves. Hire John Mayer and Oteil Burbridge (Allman Bros. Band)....and the band keeps playin' on to sold out venues and without Jerry Garcia.

Tell me Soak_ed, will the East Street Band carry on when Bruce is long dead and buried? How about The Stones when Jagger drops dead? There is something about The Band Beyond Description............

by your accounts then lynyrd skynyrd is still a great band despite the fact that most of the band is dead... they may call themselves the GD, but they aren't the Dead...

Elvis Presley. Fat,tasteless hick who never really understood rock'n'roll.

The Beatles. Cute little light-entertainment band who wrote some cute little light-entertainment songs. Decades ago. So what?

Madonna. Every musician, artist, designer, couturier who is considered hip or who just created a trend, has one fear: that it could be "discovered" copied, watered down, exploited and finally made ridiculous by Madonna. Never invented anything herself. Turns everything she touches into plastic.

Phil Collins. Doesn't really belong here because everybody knows he's a tool.

Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!

by your accounts then lynyrd skynyrd is still a great band despite the fact that most of the band is dead... they may call themselves the GD, but they aren't the Dead...

I think you completely miss the point (not meant in a derogatory way). Soaked_Eddie contends that Bruce is the greatest of all time. At the same time he thinks The Grateful Dead are a f'ing joke (which might in fact have an air of truth for some). Anyhow, the point and basis of the question is will Bruce Springsteen music live on beyond Springsteen's life? Yes, to some degree I trust it will. Just like many artists they make or place a stake in time that survives beyond their lives. You are very correct that The Other Ones, Further, Phil Lesh and Friends, RatDog, The Dead, The Dead and Company, whatever, are not The Grateful Dead. The Grateful Dead are not The Grateful Dead without their reluctant leader, Jerry Garcia. At the same time Weir and The Rhythm Devils have managed to resurrect the sound and feel of the band beyond description some 20 years after Garcia's death and are doing so to sold out stadiums across the country. This weekend they will preform at CitiField, the home of The New York Mets, two shows, sold out and thus playing to around 100,000+ folks who enjoy Grateful Dead music. I think it is most curious personally. What other band of international stature has such a draw, let alone 20 years after disbanding due to the death of their matriarch? Maybe a Pink Floyd reunion, maybe, were Roger Waters, Nick Mason and David Gilmore were to go out on the road (and that is considering that Rick Wright, while brilliant, was just the guy on keyboards). Paul McCartney certainly draws and if he and Ringo were to hit the road together, not doubt it would be a huge sensation. But when Mick Jagger is gone, will The Stones be able to draw such audiences?

Yes, The Grateful Dead are a phenomenon. They always were. They have a very loyal fan base, arguable more loyal that any other rock band of all time. But 20 years after the death of Garcia? WTF, right?

And you have something very wrong in your post. They are indeed The Dead, they just are not The Grateful Dead and they are the first to admit that. As Bob Weir rightly noted, "The music isn't done with us yet."

Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!

I think you completely miss the point (not meant in a derogatory way). Soaked_Eddie contends that Bruce is the greatest of all time. At the same time he thinks The Grateful Dead are a f'ing joke (which might in fact have an air of truth for some). Anyhow, the point and basis of the question is will Bruce Springsteen music live on beyond Springsteen's life? Yes, to some degree I trust it will. Just like many artists they make or place a stake in time that survives beyond their lives. You are very correct that The Other Ones, Further, Phil Lesh and Friends, RatDog, The Dead, The Dead and Company, whatever, are not The Grateful Dead. The Grateful Dead are not The Grateful Dead without their reluctant leader, Jerry Garcia. At the same time Weir and The Rhythm Devils have managed to resurrect the sound and feel of the band beyond description some 20 years after Garcia's death and are doing so to sold out stadiums across the country. This weekend they will preform at CitiField, the home of The New York Mets, two shows, sold out and thus playing to around 100,000+ folks who enjoy Grateful Dead music. I think it is most curious personally. What other band of international stature has such a draw, let alone 20 years after disbanding due to the death of their matriarch? Maybe a Pink Floyd reunion, maybe, were Roger Waters, Nick Mason and David Gilmore were to go out on the road (and that is considering that Rick Wright, while brilliant, was just the guy on keyboards). Paul McCartney certainly draws and if he and Ringo were to hit the road together, not doubt it would be a huge sensation. But when Mick Jagger is gone, will The Stones be able to draw such audiences?

Yes, The Grateful Dead are a phenomenon. They always were. They have a very loyal fan base, arguable more loyal that any other rock band of all time. But 20 years after the death of Garcia? WTF, right?

And you have something very wrong in your post. They are indeed The Dead, they just are not The Grateful Dead and they are the first to admit that. As Bob Weir rightly noted, "The music isn't done with us yet."

That's all very nice but I think you meant to say patriarch, not matriarch, unless you know something about Jerry Garcia that not many other people know.

Bob Weir can say anything he likes but the music was done with the Dead many years ago. The Dead are dead, get over it.

The most pitiful thing about your Dead worship is you are too young to have experienced them in their prime, you are just another Johnny come lately Dead poseur. Carry on phony.

Yes, my mistake.

No no phony. First started going to shows in the early part of the 70's.

you neede bettere mussice :)

:)

Great stuff Snaggs!

But I swear, I can't understand 68% of the lyrics

Would you mind translating this for us. :mellow:

On 6/25/2016 at 2:14 PM, soak_ed said:

That's all very nice but I think you meant to say patriarch, not matriarch, unless you know something about Jerry Garcia that not many other people know.

Bob Weir can say anything he likes but the music was done with the Dead many years ago. The Dead are dead, get over it.

The most pitiful thing about your Dead worship is you are too young to have experienced them in their prime, you are just another Johnny come lately Dead poseur. Carry on phony.

soak_ed, with the advent of things such as youtube and archive.org, you can listen to a very large amount of full grateful dead shows, from any year that you want. So, when, in your opinion was their heyday, when was their prime? In what year, aww hell bro, during what exact month, I'm interested cause i'd like to listen to the show(s)? Youtube will have it. So, while you have an argument about some of us being too young to actually go to the shows, you don't have an argument about us not being able to listen to the Dead in their prime, because we can listen to an insanely obese amount. In fact, all the points you are trying to make above are weak and can be sloughed off, because they're entirely your own opinion.

Rush.

9 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Seated? At a Dead show? Surely you jest.

Want to listen to another great show from that tour, check out first set at the Palladium in NYC. You can tell they were just having a blast. Garcia laughing and thanking the crowd. Weir telling jokes. My favorite from that stretch, and I was on the road for these, was New Haven. Drums, space is the boys along with Ken Kesey playing harmonic, Hunter was smacking a tambourine and messing about on Mickey's side of the stage. Few others milling about and lending a hand in a menagerie of sounds. Special tour. Glad I was there for it..... too bad it didn't last. Autumn they still had it but you could see it wasn't automatic and soon it was gone. Keith and Donna missed a show in Buffalo and that was that.

Hahaaa the best I can say right now is, I've seen pictures of older shows where the crowd is most definitely in seats, like in an auditorium that has rows of 'em front to back. I will dig through and find some pics for reference, but yeah I jest not, is totally crazy to think about, especially when I'm listening to the show and absolutely cannot fathom having to sit in assigned seats for a 3+ hour show !! Thanks for the comments too Bill, it's great to hear all of the stories of dead shows past ! I'll plug in to the Palladium NY first set too, 04/30/77 .. fuckin awesome man, thanks ! do you have any pics from when you were on tour, cause I'd love to see them ! ? 

2 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

As for seats. Some halls had seats. If they were not attached to the floor it wasn't uncommon come the end of the show for there to just be a piles of folded chairs cast aside. 

I remember one night in Binghamton. Had my camera and went up to lick some boot (an expression a pal used to use for heading up to the retaining wall for a better look). Wall caves from the onslaught of folks also lickin boot. So I step around the wall, sit there on stage right in front of the stacks stage left. No one blinks an eye but both Weir and Jerry mugged a little for me. First set finishes and Ramrod and the local fire marshal are inspecting the damage. Fire marshal says to Ramrod that he is going to order the show stopped and hall evacuated for safety concerns. Ramrod starts to explain how that would be a mistake and looks at me and says, "All as we have to do is ask everyone to step back, they will and we will fix the wall"..... fire marshal not buying it and Ramrod asks me what I think. I laugh and say it is no problem, whatever you folks need and I step back around the crumbled wall onto the floor as Ramrod is asking everyone to move back and lend a hand. Fire marshal had this quizzically amazed look on his face and all the deadheads pulled the wall back up and the roadies reinforced the structural posts.

Great Jack Straw to end that first set BTW.

It is important to remember that in those days they played smaller venues. Often times shows were in halls of 5000-7000 and the tickets sold for $7.00.

Smaller venues for sure, in a lot of the stuff I've listened too, the crowd heckling and yelling at the stage, or back and forth amongst each other can clearly be heard. There's a show they did in NY where the first set was acoustic and the second and third sets were electric and the heckling was so bad during the first acoustic set when in between songs when they were tuning, Bob told the heckler(s) to shut the fuck up ..but then of course the whole crowd cheered. That shit must have been fire

I don't think the Dead were over rated for their fan base, but for people like me....... Meh. Given the alternative between seeing the Grateful Dead in concert, or watching the paint dry..... I'd take the paint.

24 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I don't think the Dead were over rated for their fan base, but for people like me....... Meh. Given the alternative between seeing the Grateful Dead in concert, or watching the paint dry..... I'd take the paint.

Good for you.

I think Phish had a big influence on the continuing popularity of the Dead.

8 hours ago, scottyMO said:

soak_ed, with the advent of things such as youtube and archive.org, you can listen to a very large amount of full grateful dead shows, from any year that you want. So, when, in your opinion was their heyday, when was their prime? In what year, aww hell bro, during what exact month, I'm interested cause i'd like to listen to the show(s)? Youtube will have it. So, while you have an argument about some of us being too young to actually go to the shows, you don't have an argument about us not being able to listen to the Dead in their prime, because we can listen to an insanely obese amount. In fact, all the points you are trying to make above are weak and can be sloughed off, because they're entirely your own opinion.

Well duh, of course it is just my opinion, just as those here who worship the Dead are expressing their opinions.  They are are all valid opinions.  I could wax eloquent about Bruce Springsteen, his epic band, tighter than a frog's pussy (they're watertight) and his incredibly powerful lyrics that touch anyones soul.  Then the Springsteen haters (Yes I am looking at you Nacra dude) will jump  all over my shit.  Opinions are opinions, we all have them and people have different tastes.  Just don't try to cram you tastes down my throat.  Holy shit, that sounded bad.  Anyway, as far as I am concerned, anyone who thinks the Grateful Dead are the worlds best band, in my opinion of course, is dead to me.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

You guys do remember we've done this.............

Yes, and it wase Bosse.... ore wase the Deade.

Ime am notte surre.....                      :)

The Doors.  Sadly, since I really liked them growing up.  And there are a few Doors songs I genuinely like.  But I must say the hype is way way out of proportion to the value of the music.  Boils down to the fact that Jim Morrison was a good looking and charismatic guy and died young making him a much bigger cult figure than he probably had any right to be.

Nirvana, hands down the worst fucking bunch of talentless pricks spewing out albums full of dirge until Kurt blew his head off. Grunge was a short lived genre and has been way over emphasised. It was an exercise in musical wankery that totally sucked in local radio station music programmers who still, to this day, play way more of their shit than should ever have assailed the ears of music lovers everywhere.

Fooeys since then? Great, love em but Nirvana, nah, no way.

4 hours ago, Last Post said:

Nirvana, hands down the worst fucking bunch of talentless pricks spewing out albums full of dirge until Kurt blew his head off. Grunge was a short lived genre and has been way over emphasised. It was an exercise in musical wankery that totally sucked in local radio station music programmers who still, to this day, play way more of their shit than should ever have assailed the ears of music lovers everywhere.

Fooeys since then? Great, love em but Nirvana, nah, no way.

Pearl Jam is another one.  Don't get me wrong, I love their first album but their habit of covering just about any song ever written and the way they take themselves so seriously, well...  Eddie Vedder does have a very unique and interesting voice.

9 hours ago, Point Break said:

You guys do remember we've done this.............

I was quite content to let sleeping dead dogs lie, but I felt I had to defend myself when somebody referred to me , after dredging up an old post.

Just now, soak_ed said:

I was quite content to let sleeping dead dogs lie, but I felt I had to defend myself when somebody referred to me , after dredging up an old post.

I thouht Bosse commenttes woud of spurred you on.....   :)

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

I thouht Bosse commenttes woud of spurred you on.....   :)

Snags, I'm shocked, just shocked!  You, a troll????   

It's OK, no hard feelings.  In the words of The Boss, "You ain't a beauty, but hey you're all right.   ;)

11 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Well duh, of course it is just my opinion, just as those here who worship the Dead are expressing their opinions.  They are are all valid opinions.  I could wax eloquent about Bruce Springsteen, his epic band, tighter than a frog's pussy (they're watertight) and his incredibly powerful lyrics that touch anyones soul.  Then the Springsteen haters (Yes I am looking at you Nacra dude) will jump  all over my shit.  Opinions are opinions, we all have them and people have different tastes.  Just don't try to cram you tastes down my throat.  Holy shit, that sounded bad.  Anyway, as far as I am concerned, anyone who thinks the Grateful Dead are the worlds best band, in my opinion of course, is dead to me.

"strap your hands around my engine"

Touches ones soul, doesn't it?

Not really a band, or "rock"..... But one of the most over rated acts of all time is Melisa "Angst" Etheridge.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Not really a band, or "rock"..... But one of the most over rated acts of all time is Melisa "Angst" Etheridge.

gotta agree.  in 2011 Etheridge toured and in at least in some parts of canada she had Serena Ryder as an opening act.  Ryder has had some significant success in the last few years but, to my ear, she is a direct, un-ironic copy of Etheridge!  same raspy voice, same angst-ridden, chest-clutching songs...it was like WTF?  Etheridge is so vain she hires what is essentially a tribute act to open for her and Ryder is so worshipful she accepts a gig playing in front of her hero?  wierd.

Gotta disagree on Rush though.  Not that i'm  a fan of prog rock in general or Rush in particular but man forty years those guys just kept recording and playing and they created a huge fan base despited limited airplay after the early 80's.  three pretty good players who created a HUGE sound on record and live...and of course lifeson was kidnapped by ricky and bubbles so...

1 hour ago, Mckarma said:

"strap your hands around my engine"

Touches ones soul, doesn't it?

You gotta take it in context. The preceding line is "Wrap your legs round my velvet rims..."  and it's "Strap your hands across my engines".  That's poetry right there!

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Sorry, I can't resist.  I wonder how many folks will hate this:

2 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

Sorry, I can't resist.  I wonder how many folks will hate this:

Oh man.......that is such a softball you lobbed but I'm not swinging...........:D

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Oh man.......that is such a softball you lobbed but I'm not swinging...........:D

:P

Kind of interesting how certain artists have a huge following of fans and a large amount of haters.  They must be doing something right and obviously something wrong, in some folks eyes (or ears).  I think in the case of Bruce, it is simply jealousy. The man and his band are so good, people just want to hate him because... Bruuuuuuuce.

I saw Melissa Etheridge in a little club in Cleveland, OH (Peabody's Down Under) not long after she released her first album in early 1989.  I thought she was quite good.  She is a little short thing.  I was standing right in front of the low stage, I could have reached out and touched her.  Probably a good thing I didn't, I didn't know at the time that she is a lesbian.  NTTAWWT.

Fucking Aerosmith 

Fingernails on blackboards. I'd like to blast those guys with a can of bug spray

I like both artists and own a couple albums of each. Music is so personal and so much goes into why/what you like. I enjoy the heck out of the Traveling Wilburys and Jimmy Buffet for instance........some disdain that music. I have hugely varied tastes......I even like some country music. :lol:

I like bluegrass.

If the girl ain't dead by the end of the song, It ain't bluegrass.

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

I like both artists and own a couple albums of each. Music is so personal and so much goes into why/what you like. I enjoy the heck out of the Traveling Wilburys and Jimmy Buffet for instance........some disdain that music. I have hugely varied tastes......I even like some country music. :lol:

I am not the biggest fan of country, I hate most of it however I like Johnny Cash, of course.  I do like several female country artists, Johnny's daughter Rosanne Cash, KT Oslin and Mary Chapin Carpenter come to mind.

Call me sentimental, but this one gets me every time I hear it.  I am a 6'6, 230 pound softy I guess.

Some songs I like for the music.......other songs for what was happening at the time. The close your eyes and instantly be transported  back kind of song. There are a couple that depending on my mood/susceptibility (and.......sometimes degree of intoxication ;)) can generate "flashback" sorta memories complete with sounds and smells.........funny how the brain imprints all that shit for instant recall when situation is right. 

Stairway To Heaven is exactly one of those songs for me. So is Satisfaction.

BTW - I am particularly fond of Springsteen's "My Hometown".

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

Oh man, I see what you are sayin'. How could I have missed it? Puts to shame lines like, "...Inspiration, move me brightly,  light the song with sense and color, hold away despair". I mean pure gibberish in comparison to that master lyricist Springsteen.

Look, we can get into a lyric war, Springsteen has plenty of beautifully written, powerful songs and I like him.  I'll take Bruce over the drug addled ramblings of a band that doesn't have a single member that could carry a tune in a lunch bag, any day.  Everybody likes what they like, it's all a matter of taste and we all know that de gustibus non est disputandum, so lets's leave it at that.

2 hours ago, soak_ed said:

You gotta take it in context. The preceding line is "Wrap your legs round my velvet rims..."  and it's "Strap your hands across my engines".  That's poetry right there!

Poetry like this?

"Got a big old horse, his name is Clyde"

"Climb on back, we'll ride, ride, ride"

For sheer poetry you need look no further than Jethro Tull's Aqualung.

"Sitting on a park bench. Eyeing little girls with bad intent"

speaks truly to every man of every age

Warren Zevon wrote the ultimate in rock poetry when he penned the evocative and soul stirring lyric: Little old lady got mutilated late last night

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Flatbag said:

Warren Zevon wrote the ultimate in rock poetry when he penned the evocative and soul stirring lyric: Little old lady got mutilated late last night

Months before his death Warren recorded a beautiful song. try not to shed a tear.

I miss-linked the wrong one. Below is the link to his last recording session knowing he would soon die. You might recognize a few of his "friends". I really liked his music. Crazy shit.......

Thanks for posting this.....  his last interview with Letterman was pretty amazing.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

26 minutes ago, IrieMon said:

Thanks for posting this.....  his last interview with Letterman was pretty amazing.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Wasn't that a great interview!

2 hours ago, By the lee said:

Nickelback! ffs....

Grateful Dead. Really? What're you been smokin'? Fish and SCI sure, but not the Dead. geez................

Careful man, them's fighting words around here, dissing The Dead.  I have learned that!

1 hour ago, By the lee said:

81664183.jpg

Re-read my post. Twice if you have to. 

Ahh, I see, you are a Dead Head, I'm sorry.

1 hour ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

The Beatles are like finger nails on a chalkboard. Very vanilla music. Didn't last very long either. 

Pink Floyd.

I know they are some great musicians but I have never smoked enough weed to make me like their pretentious crap.  And believe me I have tried.

3 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:
  • That is funny, a bit like saying you have never drunk enough mineral sparkling water to get into Guns and Roses, or eaten enough cucummber sandwiches to enjoy Beyonce! :)

Wait.....

Are you suggesting I listen to their self-indulgent, Prog-Rock posturing stone cold sober?
What did i ever do to you?

3 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

First off Springsteen would lose badly in a lyric war to either John Barlow or Robert Hunter. They both have a special way with words.

Secondly, you seem to think Springsteen has sobriety cornered. You clearly never saw him prior to Born to Run being released. His nights at The Stone Pony are legendary, your hero Bruce barely able to stand and The Big Man running the show to hold it all together.

I never claimed Bruce was a teetotaler but since he became famous he is quite disciplined and focused.  In his recent autobiography he talks about his early days of insobriety.  I have been to Asbury Park and Freehold many times, but long after Bruce hit it big.  The last time I was in Asbury Park a couple of years ago, I just missed him when he dropped in un-announced to play a set at the Wonder Bar.  I was pissed off, they said it was great.  I made up for it by seeing him at the Olympia Stadium in Berlin last year, I was 30' from the stage and it was a fantastic concert.

Let's be honest, many Deadheads freely admit they can't listen to their idol's music unless they are under the influence of something. I am one of those people that there isn't enough of any mind altering substance to get me though even one of their songs.  Believe me I've tried, and I came of age '60s, I''m no stranger to drugs or The Dead.  But that's just me, you enjoy them, that's cool. 

Bruce.jpg

On 8/4/2017 at 0:30 AM, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Lol, as the kids say "just don`t! can`t even... :)

However if you find some microdots or shrooms then maybe revisit Meddle, just the thing with minimal prog & very few lyrics to disturb you.

Meh...... Sounds like what would happen if the record company told ELO to play something that sucks.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:48 PM, soak_ed said:

I never claimed Bruce was a teetotaler but since he became famous he is quite disciplined and focused.  In his recent autobiography he talks about his early days of insobriety.  I have been to Asbury Park and Freehold many times, but long after Bruce hit it big.  The last time I was in Asbury Park a couple of years ago, I just missed him when he dropped in un-announced to play a set at the Wonder Bar.  I was pissed off, they said it was great.  I made up for it by seeing him at the Olympia Stadium in Berlin last year, I was 30' from the stage and it was a fantastic concert.

Bruce.jpg

Hese gonig be on Braodway in NYC foure 8 weekes, you comming?

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Hese gonig be on Braodway in NYC, you comming?

Holy shit!  If my daughter weren't pregnant with twins, I would be there.  Have to spend my money elsewhere now.

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

So does Springstein think the E street band is over rated then? Since he is going solo on Broadways.

Not even going to bite Bill.  Makes perfect sense if you know anything about The Boss.

Led Zeppelin back to court for new Stairway to Heaven copyright trial

A federal court jury in Los Angeles two years ago found Led Zeppelin did not steal the famous riff from the song Taurus by the band Spirit. But a three-judge panel of the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously that the lower court judge provided erroneous jury instructions that misled jurors about copyright law central the suit. It sent the case back to the court for another trial.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/107477437/led-zeppelin-back-to-court-for-new-stairway-to-heaven-copyright-trial

1 hour ago, Al Paca said:

Beatles

Stones

Doors

Blah. Blah.  Blah.  

Let me guess - born during or after Disco?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Let me guess - born during or after Disco?

Studioe 54 aftere partey overespraye?                        :)

Born around the time when Bill Haley hit the stage.  Ive been on the bus since 1970.  What a long strange trip it's been.

Has anyone mentioned the Grateful Dead?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chester said:

Bruce!

I think Bruce is a decent musician and performer but I'm not a fan, his music just isn't my thing. I will say I find the rabid nature of his fan base offputting.

I feel the same way but to a lesser degree about the Dead. Having been to a few of their shows with friends who were fans and experienced their performances, um, as-intended, I will say I had a situational appreciation for their style. If stone cold sober, not so much. Also an offputting fan base.

Also +1000 to the comments about U2.

Just to add my own to the thread, I think ZZ Top sucks.

39 minutes ago, IStream said:

Just to add my own to the thread, I think ZZ Top sucks.

I can't say that I listen to much ZZ Top -- their songs tend to sound alike -- but I appreciate their place in rock history.  "La Grange" and a few other songs were excellent.  They had a killer rhythm section and Billy Gibbons' guitar work was fairly groundbreaking; he was one of the first to use harmonics and he did it well.  They owned their sound and got lots of airplay.  Overrated?  I think not.

5 minutes ago, valis said:

I can't say that I listen to much ZZ Top -- their songs tend to sound alike -- but I appreciate their place in rock history.  "La Grange" and a few other songs were excellent.  They had a killer rhythm section and Billy Gibbons' guitar work was fairly groundbreaking; he was one of the first to use harmonics and he did it well.  They owned their sound and got lots of airplay.  Overrated?  I think not.

I appreciated their taste in hotrods too... 
https://www.google.com/search?q=cadzilla&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US752&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4h5y8v-jdAhWJt1kKHdr0AXQQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1280&bih=893

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Just saw Dead and Company in July. Along with 35,000 other people. 

16 minutes ago, valis said:

Fair enough. My big beef is what you mentioned, that all their songs are pretty simple and tend to sound alike. I guess I'd put them in the same category as U2. A good start that went on way too long.

I saw a ZZ concert about 5 years ago. Gibbons opened the concert by saying “4 chords and forty years.....who’d a thunk it”. 

That may be the case but it’s 4 very good chords then. Great convertible drive too fast music.....

24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I saw a ZZ concert about 5 years ago. Gibbons opened the concert by saying “4 chords and forty years.....who’d a thunk it”. 

That may be the case but it’s 4 very good chords then. Great convertible drive too fast music.....

Keith Richards said something similar about his guitar playing: "Three fingers and one asshole."  It doesn't have to be complicated to be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valis said:

The worlds greatest bar band.

That locomotive rhythm they have gets into your blood faster than any band I've ever heard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

put a sock (puppet) in in :P

14 hours ago, valis said:

Their music was ruined for me when I was in college because they used to eat at a Mexican place in Memphis where my roommate was a waiter. They acted like they owned the place and treated staff like dirt, which might be OK if they were good tippers. They were not.

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The worlds greatest bar band.

That locomotive rhythm they have gets into your blood faster than any band I've ever heard.

Yup - Sharp Dressed Man followed by Beer Drinkers and Hellraisers is a good combination to keep the bar busy.