Ed Lada

The Grateful Dead; By Far the Most Overated Band Ever

Just to give you an idea of Soak_Ed's taste in general-- the dude likes fat chicks, and has openly admitted that in this forum

That makes him the perfect wingman.

• Like 1

Neil Diamond?

Nobody hates Neil Diamond. it's a universal truth ... If Neil Diamond ran over your dog with a steam shovel while smoking a blunt, pissing out the window and screaming obscenities about your dear mum ... you would still shake his hand and tell him how much you loved his writing chops on Red Red Wine.

If he did that, we'd have to elect him President!

But I would still hate him. OK, maybe not *hate*, but I'd really rather not have to listen to him.

Went to see the Doobie Brothers, Journey and Dave Mason last night. It was okay............I thought the Doobie bros were the closest to original form and enjoyed the old hits, Long Train Running etc.

Interestingly, nobody has mentioned the Guess Who in any thread yet. (That I have noticed). Or Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Never did much for me, either of them, but they were big at one time.

They weren't big when I saw them as Chad Allan and the Reflections in 1967 or so.

Any thread that references the Main Point has my undivided attention. The Main Point and a shop called Critters were my haunts in Bryn Mawr long ago. My other favorite venue from that era was the Brandywine Club - saw Thorogood there a couple of times before he hit it big.

As for the Dead: I saw one show as a spectator (Easter 85) and worked event EMS at several. I'll cop to listening to a combination CD from time to time but the live shows at which I was in attendance got really tedious. I worked a couple of Phish shows years later and it was kinda the same thing; maybe it was my lack of recreational chemicals on board or my ADDor something. [shrug]

One thing that this thread has me remember is that I enjoy the company of Deadheads, always something good to discuss, not necessarily music, just similar life experiences. They linger a bit, share a smoke and some time. I like their pace of life.

Any thread that references the Main Point has my undivided attention. The Main Point and a shop called Critters were my haunts in Bryn Mawr long ago. My other favorite venue from that era was the Brandywine Club - saw Thorogood there a couple of times before he hit it big.

As for the Dead: I saw one show as a spectator (Easter 85) and worked event EMS at several. I'll cop to listening to a combination CD from time to time but the live shows at which I was in attendance got really tedious. I worked a couple of Phish shows years later and it was kinda the same thing; maybe it was my lack of recreational chemicals on board or my ADDor something. [shrug]

Critters.... what a blast form the past...

there be music

15 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

This deserves the version by a pretty girl.

From my very first Emmylou album.  Smitten I was and smitten I remain.

Just have to listen to one of their shows from 1976-1978, particularly Spring Tour 1977, to know they were the band beyond description. No one matched up during that run, no one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Just have to listen to one of their shows from 1976-1978, particularly Spring Tour 1977, to know they were the band beyond description. No one matched up during that run, no one.

So you are saying it was the worst show you have ever seen?  Bad beyond description, no other band could possibly be that bad? Because I agree wholeheartedly.

3 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

I saw them during that period a couple of times and they were great. Lada - keep your opinions to yourself.

1 minute ago, Rum Runner said:

I saw them during that period a couple of times and they were great. Lada - keep your opinions to yourself.

I could say the same to you. Both are equally valid.

The most common thing said at a Grateful Deal concert when the weed is gone... " boy this music sounds shitty " 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ovb said:

The most common thing said at a Grateful Deal concert when the weed is gone... " boy this music sounds shitty " 

Be careful.  Those deadheads are a touchy bunch.

Deadheads are quite a bunch, at least the traveling ones were....kinda like the gypsies but with no particular talents. Petty crime always went up when the Dead came to town as the itinerant deadheads arrived and set up “camp”. However one night that the Dead were playing at a local outdoor venue things got out of hand. I’d guess it was late 80’s.....we got a couple calls of car fires in the parking lot of the venue. On arrival we found that because of some ticketing snafu a number of people who thought they had tickets.....did not. They set about overturning cars in the very big parking lot and setting them and some buses on fire. Some of the fires were extending from one car to another. Things looked pretty mean. I told the cop Lt. I was not sending my engine companies in there till they got control of the still very unruly crowd. He said they were about to. Shortly after, car after police car from surrounding communities arrived, each one with two to four cops all looking for trouble. Amongst conversations of “wood shampoos” and “hippie beatings” I gleaned enough about what was about to happen to request more units and paramedic units and set up a small multi casualty area a short way away. Sure enough, about 15 minutes after the column of cars departed they began to bring back, a few at a time, a number of deadheads who definitely were on the losing side of the encounter. In about 30 minutes the thing was over and the engines were able to move in and extinguish the various burning vehicles. The Dead never played that venue again.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Allmoeste as touchey the Bossheads                                      :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

So you are saying it was the worst show you have ever seen?  Bad beyond description, no other band could possibly be that bad? Because I agree wholeheartedly.

they were the best American band ever...bar none

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Deadheads are quite a bunch, at least the traveling ones were....kinda like the gypsies but with no particular talents. Petty crime always went up when the Dead came to town as the itinerant deadheads arrived and set up “camp”. However one night that the Dead were playing at a local outdoor venue things got out of hand. I’d guess it was late 80’s.....we got a couple calls of car fires in the parking lot of the venue. On arrival we found that because of some ticketing snafu a number of people who thought they had tickets.....did not. They set about overturning cars in the very big parking lot and setting them and some buses on fire. Some of the fires were extending from one car to another. Things looked pretty mean. I told the cop Lt. I was not sending my engine companies in there till they got control of the still very unruly crowd. He said they were about to. Shortly after, car after police car from surrounding communities arrived, each one with two to four cops all looking for trouble. Amongst conversations of “wood shampoos” and “hippie beatings” I gleaned enough about what was about to happen to request more units and paramedic units and set up a small multi casualty area a short way away. Sure enough, about 15 minutes after the column of cars departed they began to bring back, a few at a time, a number of deadheads who definitely were on the losing side of the encounter. In about 30 minutes the thing was over and the engines were able to move in and extinguish the various burning vehicles. The Dead never played that venue again.

US parrotheads just show our displeasure by putting on even uglier hawaiian shirts. 

57 minutes ago, dacapo said:

they were the best American band ever...bar none

Not even Top 20.

Without that Deadhead cult thing they would have been long forgotten.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Not even Top 20.

Gladisse Nitte and Ps our a sollide top 15 bande.                                                     :)

4 hours ago, ovb said:

Nobody at a dead concert ever ran out...

15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Not even Top 20.

Forgotten? Bullshit

1994 Induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/grateful-dead

Fare thee Well "Tour"in 2015

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grateful-dead/6641779/grateful-dead-farewell-concerts-total-earnings

The Levi Stadium shows June 27-28 grossed $21.5 million from attendance of 151,650, and the Soldier Field shows July 3-5 grossed a whopping $30.7 million from a Soldier Field record attendance of 210,283. The Fare Thee Well total of $52.2 million is close to Billboard's prediction back in April of a $50 million event. Fare Thee Well was produced by Peter Shapiro and Madison House. 

Additionally, the five-night live broadcast of "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Year of Grateful Dead" was officially the largest syndication of a live music event in history, according to broadcast producer Live Alliance. FTW set the record for the biggest music pay-per-view event of all time, with more than 400,000 cable/satellite subscriptions and online streams, a number that will continue to grow as the event remains available to both satellite and cable subscribers via Video-On-Demand until August 2.

Dead Blogger Research Estimate of Career Tour Revenues....just tour revenues....doesn't even count record sales.

http://gratefulseconds.blogspot.com/2016/01/grateful-dead-touring-revenues-1965-1995.html

Per my research of shows (from Deadbase), ticket sales and concert attendance, the Grateful Dead sold about 23 million tickets and generated about $386 million in ticket revenues over 2,314 performances during their entire career.

Discography - 140 albums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead_discography

1 hour ago, See Level said:

Nobody at a dead concert ever ran out... of weed. 

FIFY

They had their moments of brilliance. I never got the 'space' thing. But they could play. The only artists that nailed it every time were Prince, Beck, the CSO and Dave Brubeck.

The Dead could bring it sometimes though and it would be crazy good. They had a great sound system. Not loud but big and rich.

55 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

They had their moments of brilliance. I never got the 'space' thing. But they could play. The only artists that nailed it every time were Prince, Beck, the CSO and Dave Brubeck.

The Dead could bring it sometimes though and it would be crazy good. They had a great sound system. Not loud but big and rich.

Wynton Marsalis said they were the best band he ever played with. I really wish I had gone to see them one of those nights...... probably would have involved quitting my job though. I did see them with Bruce Hornsby several times.

The Dead were masters of every kind of popular music from ragtime to disco. Take the same song from honty-tonk to funkadelic to rock'n roll, just wait a while until it comes around on the guitar again. I have seen them have an "off" night but most nights they were unbelievable magic. FWIW I generally went and got something to eat, or hit on hippie chicks during "space." The audience was almost as entertaining as the music

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:
7 hours ago, ovb said:

There's nothing so good that somebody won't hate it. There are people who hate sex. If you all hate the Grateful Dead's music, I've got a deal for you....... you don't have to go another one of their concerts, ever. Happy now?

-DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Wynton Marsalis said they were the best band he ever played with. I really wish I had gone to see them one of those nights...... probably would have involved quitting my job though.

I caught that. It was Branford though. Yes, they could play very well. $27.50 per ticket and 1 for $3, 2 for $5 grilled cheeses in the lot.

6 hours ago, Point Break said:

Not a Dead fan so it starts there for me.  But, maybe if they got it right the first time they wouldnt have to release 140 albums.  Following your link shows the following:

Studio albums 13
Live albums 10
Compilation albums 9
Video albums 10
Singles 27
Box Sets 6
Retrospective live albums 58
Dick's Picks 36
Road Trips 17
Dave's Picks 26
Digital Download series 15

Out of 140 albums you claim, you basically have 13 actual albums with original content.  The Live albums, Retrospectives, Dick's picks, Road Trips, and Dave's picks are all compilations or recordings of live shows.  The same people that would travel across the country listening to the same show over and over are the same people that would then buy all of the "new" material.

Only band MORE over rated than the Dead is Rush and they just announced their retirement.  There really is a God....

MS

The Dead are the only band ever that made a career and gained cult following by playing the same song over and over.  Dead fans love to geek out.  They get together and revel in tales of how during so and so song at such at such and such concert, Jerry played a different note at such and such a time, and the last time he played that sequence that way, was at such and such concert 6 years ago.   I wouldn't be surprised if Dead fans are all baseball fans too.  I have never heard fans of any other band discuss stats the way the Dead fans do.

Everybody likes what they like, Justin Bieber has a huge following FFS.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not even Top 20.

coming from a guy who's entire country swoons over the Tragically Hip  ;-)   

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

The Dead are the only band ever that made a career and gained cult following by playing the same song over and over.  Dead fans love to geek out.  They get together and revel in tales of how during so and so song at such at such and such concert, Jerry played a different note at such and such a time, and the last time he played that sequence that way, was at such and such concert 6 years ago.   I wouldn't be surprised if Dead fans are all baseball fans too.  I have never heard fans of any other band discuss stats the way the Dead fans do.

Everybody likes what they like, Justin Bieber has a huge following FFS.

Correction: The most over rated band ever? uh that would be Led Zeppelin.  Also winner of most over produced.  Thank you and don't forget to thank your server.

8 hours ago, austin1972 said:

I caught that. It was Branford though. Yes, they could play very well. $27.50 per ticket and 1 for $3, 2 for $5 grilled cheeses in the lot.

Thanks for the correction, and for the tune. The studio version of that is one of my father's favorites although he doesn't know it's the Grateful Dead.

One of the thing this old fart misses is listening them slowly wind their way into a song and suddenly realizing it's a Dylan of a Beatles tune. You kind of expect them to fuck around with their own material but................ a bunch of people have tried to play recorded examples of the Phish "doing the same thing" for me, but it's nowhere near the same IMHO.

Dacapo, thanks also for Scarlet Begonias, one of my favorites.

A million stoned hippies could easily be wrong, but in this case, they're not

-DSK

• Like 1

Hey, I'm no Deadhead...I have a couple albums which I enjoy listening to from time to time. I like their music in in occasional moments as part of a wide palate of musical enjoyment. I couldn't listen to them album after album all day like some artists but I really enjoy their style and songs when in that mood. I have a few Springsteen albums..there is a time and place for that. Beatles....some people hate them but I could listen to those for quite a while. Eagles? Doors? Hell yes! Love the music. But, I'd never disagree with anyone who says they don't enjoy the music........musical tastes vary. There' are many artists that I go.......really???.........when people say they enjoy their music. For instance...Prince.....his music NEVER resonated with my tastes. That does not mean he was a crappy musician. 

So don't like the Dead...okay. The Dead were without musical talent and an inconsequential blip only enjoyed but a few "cult" members? Stop being silly..............

In fact, I have a bit of a drive this morning to an appointment....think I'll play the "Touch of Grey" album on the way in honor of this thread.

5 hours ago, dacapo said:

coming from a guy who's entire country swoons over the Tragically Hip  ;-)   

step outside, asshole  ;>)

8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

The Dead are the only band ever that made a career and gained cult following by playing the same song over and over. 

In the 90's when the Rolling Stones toured North America I had the pleasure to see them in Philadelphia, New York, and Los Angeles...  Guess what... it was the same phucking show with the same set of songs for all three shows...  If it wasn't for the "uber access pass" my brother got me for the LA show I would have walked out half way through the performance.  The same was true when U2 did their Pop-Mart Tour... Same frigging songs and theatrics each night.

There are only so many song in their catalog and the Stones like many others really don't do covers... That said... having been to a few Dead shows in my day I will say no two shows were alike, and they would do few covers in their sets... 

Your observation about "die hard" Dead Heads is pretty much spot on, and I agree it can be nauseating..  But with just about everything, fans will be fanatical... Just look at how many Patriots fans have already dismissed the Eagles for this year and are looking at the 2019 Superbowl... 

1 hour ago, chester said:

step outside, asshole  ;>)

heh heh heh

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

In the 90's when the Rolling Stones toured North America I had the pleasure to see them in Philadelphia, New York, and Los Angeles...  Guess what... it was the same phucking show with the same set of songs for all three shows...  If it wasn't for the "uber access pass" my brother got me for the LA show I would have walked out half way through the performance.  The same was true when U2 did their Pop-Mart Tour... Same frigging songs and theatrics each night.

There are only so many song in their catalog and the Stones like many others really don't do covers... That said... having been to a few Dead shows in my day I will say no two shows were alike, and they would do few covers in their sets... 

Your observation about "die hard" Dead Heads is pretty much spot on, and I agree it can be nauseating..  But with just about everything, fans will be fanatical... Just look at how many Patriots fans have already dismissed the Eagles for this year and are looking at the 2019 Superbowl... 

I am not really a  fan of the Stones (I mostly like their early work), in spite of my growing up with them, the Beatles and other greats of the time.  Nor do I care much for U2, they can be awfully pretentious in my opinion.  Now Bruce Springsteen is another story.  Bruce and the E Street Band have a huge catalog of songs and it is impossible for them to play every hit that the fans want to hear in any given show.  They do a few covers, but not many.  Plus it is common for them to play for 3 1/2 hours or more.

I think the main reason the Dead shows are all different is because they couldn't remember how to play the song the same way twice due to the influence of weed and LSD.  Although I say that somewhat tongue in cheek, I think there is more than a little truth to it.

6 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Correction: The most over rated band ever? uh that would be Led Zeppelin.  Also winner of most over produced.  Thank you and don't forget to thank your server.

I beg to differ on both counts. Like many people I wasn't a big fan of Led Zeppelin, I found Robert Plant's voice to be rather annoying.  Then by some interesting events, I managed to get two 15th row, center, seats to a concert of theirs in Cleveland in 1977 and I came away a true believer.  They played all of their hits and in those days the live concert sounds were not manipulated like today where they can make a live show sound virtually like a studio recording if they want to.  After Springsteen, it was definitely the best major live concert I have ever seen, and I have seen some great ones, more than 3 hours of incredible blues and more.  

Possibly one of the greatest love songs ever written. Bruce would drive all night again, just to buy his lost love some shoes (and 'to taste her tender charms').

Led Zephloid was phenomenal BITD - I couldn't get enough of their first two albums - but they haven't held up all that well.

Page is one of the all time Guitar Gods though.

The Dead were more of a phenomenon than great musicians IMO.

Eric Clapton great guitarist what hog shit? Jeff Beck wipes his ass with Clapton !

1 minute ago, HuronBouy said:

Eric Clapton great guitarist what hog shit!!!! Jeff Beck wipes his ass with Clapton !

oops corrected 

56 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Led Zephloid was phenomenal BITD - I couldn't get enough of their first two albums - but they haven't held up all that well.

Page is one of the all time Guitar Gods though.

I have to agree with all of that.  But Stairway to Heaven will never grow old for me.  Too, too many memories...

33 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

Eric Clapton great guitarist what hog shit? Jeff Beck wipes his ass with Clapton !

Um dude, Clapton is god  What the hell have you heard of any consequence from Beck Lately?  Like in the last 40 years?  Clapton just keeps getting better with age.  I saw him for the third time during his 50th year of touring tour, a few years ago.  He played better then than I have ever heard him.  He and his guitar have melded into one being.  It isn't music, it's an existential event and an out of body experience all rolled into one big guitar driven aural orgasm. 

Jeff Beck.  snort

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

OK....  why not google Phil Lesh and Micky Hart... both are pretty well respected musicians... not to mention both were pretty well grounded in musing from an early age...  like I said earlier...  look at their collaborations....  if their peers wanted them, there had to be a reason.. 

Bob Weir.. Guitar Player did an article on him way back...  Seem to remember there was something they noted that he had sort of re-revolutionized the the the chord progression... or something, but it was pretty noteworthy as Tommy Tedesco I believe wrote the article..

You are free to like or dislike a band. I remember CSNY (I think it was Crosby) saying that The Dead could play like mofos but CSNY could sing.

I have to agree with all of that.  But Stairway to Heaven will never grow old for me.  Too, too many memories...

I hated it from the first time I heard it. :D

Now Dazed & Confused.......

Jeff Beck.  snort

Just by itself, "Truth" with Rod Stewart on vocals makes Beck one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Plus he builds really cool hot rods.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

I hated it from the first time I heard it. :D

Now Dazed & Confused.......

Are we talking about your mental status or Led Zeppelin?   :P  

Fuck.  I can't believe two men in their 60s are trading barbs and emoticons over the internet.  Please don't tell my daughter.  Please.

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Lada said:

Are we talking about your mental status or Led Zeppelin?   :P 

Fuck.  I can't believe two men in their 60s are trading barbs and emoticons over the internet.  Please don't tell my daughter.  Please.

Both - I liked it so much because it reflected my mental state so well at the time.

• Like 1

Just now, SloopJonB said:

Just by itself, "Truth" with Rod Stewart on vocals makes Beck one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

There are a fair amount of great guitarists out there that have had outstanding moments.  Some even for a time.  I don't think there is anyone with a such consistent career of an incredible amount of those moments both with some very good bands and as a solo artist, going on almost 60 years now.  And he is versatile, I think his forte is blues (in all of its permutations) but he can play almost any extremely very well. That to me, is what makes Clapton above the rest.  As I said earlier, just watching him play is seeing a master at work, every movement so fluid and sure and the sound so pure.  He closes his eyes and puts his head down and he and the guitar become one.  That's what happens when you've been playing at an incredible level for that many years.

No argument here - I have regarded Clapton as one of the best since the 60's - Crossroads on Wheels of Fire. :blink:

My sister saw Cream in a small venue in Bristol England before they were big. '66 IIRC.

I put Santana right up there too - he has the most distinctive sound of anyone - a couple of notes and I know it's him.

109 MILLION views ..........................

The thread has drifted away from the unique culture of the Grateful Dead to a boring list of Air Guitar hits. Your pop guitarists are certainly great, but they come up short in heart and soul. Playing the high notes technically perfect and real fast over and over is not the same as deep emotional expression (while completely saturated with acid). While not always hitting the right note, Jerry Garcia is definitely one of the most expressive guitarists of the genre. It shows in certain live recordings and in his independent, non-Dead, work. Hendrix, Garcia, Santana...those are the musicians on my list.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No argument here - I have regarded Clapton as one of the best since the 60's - Crossroads on Wheels of Fire. :blink:

My sister saw Cream in a small venue in Bristol England before they were big. '66 IIRC.

I put Santana right up there too - he has the most distinctive sound of anyone - a couple of notes and I know it's him.

He definitely owns that sound of his.  Carlos is another one that plays on some kind of astral plane when he gets in the groove.  

When I saw Clapton the last time, in Berlin  he played several Cream songs including Sunshine of Your Love and Badge, one of my favorites.  It was the first time I heard him play so many Cream songs in the three times I saw him.  On Badge, rather than end the song where you always wait to hear the iconic lick but you don't, this time he paused a few seconds and then played it and launched into a jam.  I think I came in my pants a little at that moment.

5 minutes ago, daddle said:

The thread has drifted away from the unique culture of the Grateful Dead to a boring list of Air Guitar hits. Your pop guitarists are certainly great, but they come up short in heart and soul. Playing the high notes technically perfect and real fast over and over is not the same as deep emotional expression (while completely saturated with acid). While not always hitting the right note, Jerry Garcia is definitely one of the most expressive guitarists of the genre. It shows in certain live recordings and in his independent, non-Dead, work. Hendrix, Garcia, Santana...those are the musicians on my list.

Sure, whatever.

If all those talented folks can have some appreciation for and draw from the creativity of one another....................how is it we mundane mere musical mortals fuss and snivel about such meaningless comparisons of genius........

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

OK....  why not google Phil Lesh and Micky Hart... both are pretty well respected musicians... not to mention both were pretty well grounded in musing from an early age...  like I said earlier...  look at their collaborations....  if their peers wanted them, there had to be a reason.. 

Bob Weir.. Guitar Player did an article on him way back...  Seem to remember there was something they noted that he had sort of re-revolutionized the the the chord progression... or something, but it was pretty noteworthy as Tommy Tedesco I believe wrote the article..

Jerry was a highly respected musician and guitarist...not to mention banjo....

if he sucked guys like Vassar Clements, David Grisman and Peter Rowan wouldn't of played with him

40 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Jerry was a highly respected musician and guitarist...not to mention banjo....

if he sucked guys like Vassar Clements, David Grisman and Peter Rowan wouldn't of played with him

I was going to bring up his bluegrass roots... with Old And In The Way...  Peter Rowan (guitar, vocals), Vassar Clements (fiddle), Jerry Garcia (banjo, vocals), David Grisman (mandolin, vocals), and John Kahn (string bass).. but these names are lost on many..  Went on to be one of the best selling Blue Grass albums ever...

Dacapo... get yourself down to the Philadelphia Folk Festival sometime..  I think you'll enjoy it...

8 hours ago, nacradriver said:

I was going to bring up his bluegrass roots... with Old And In The Way...  Peter Rowan (guitar, vocals), Vassar Clements (fiddle), Jerry Garcia (banjo, vocals), David Grisman (mandolin, vocals), and John Kahn (string bass).. but these names are lost on many..  Went on to be one of the best selling Blue Grass albums ever...

Dacapo... get yourself down to the Philadelphia Folk Festival sometime..  I think you'll enjoy it...

i'd like my band to PLAY the Philadelphia Folk Festival  :-)

"Always more fiddle"

The late great Jerry Gracia.

Dacapo is correct, greatest American rock and roll band ever. When they were on, they were really on.

Jack Straw Barton Hall Spring 1977. The absolute apex that week.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Look Beck has been continuously putting out music for 40 years that changes all the time. He does not play "Layla" over and over 

Clapton never got close to this level 

Clapton and Beck toured together a few years back and Eric was blown off the stage each night 

1 hour ago, HuronBouy said:

Look Beck has been continuously putting out music for 40 years that changes all the time. He does not play "Layla" over and over 

Clapton and Beck toured together a few years back and Eric was blown off the stage each night 

If you knew anything about Clapton, you would know that he doesn't play Layla over and over and also that he really doesn't like the song, hasn't for many years and doesn't like playing it.  Every time I have heard him play it, that was obvious.

I am not sure why there can only be one guitar god in rock, it is just an extension of the times we live in now, the binary world of "My opinions are better than yours."  I think Clapton is better, you think Beck is better.  Maybe one of us is right, maybe we are both wrong.  On the other hand, this statement is simply ludicrous:  "Clapton never got close to this level."  I don't mind agreeing to agree to disagree but when you say stupid shit like that, there really isn't anything to discuss anymore.  Showing a video clip that is almost 20 years old certainly doesn't go far toward your proving Beck's relevance in the music world today.  All I hear in that clip is a bunch of pedal effects and cheap tricks.  

Here is a guy that probably no one here has ever heard of.  I think he completely blows away that Beck performance in this video.  I could go an and on posting many videos of guitarists that are as good or better than Jeff Beck in my opinion.  I met McGarvey after a show and talked to him for a bit, a very nice guy and a hell of a guitar player.  He is good enough that Eric Clapton chose him to play at his Crossroads festival and he has caught the attention of Joe Bonamassa.  So what.  We like what we like.  I'll bet you get in endless Chevy vs Ford vs MOPAR bar arguments all the time too.

One thing about their live shows, they were always like they were just jamming....which they were....they didn't like the studio as much as touring. How about Uncle Johns Band......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HuronBouy said:

This way old stuff is better IMO.

50 years old.

Plus he has all these.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=jeff+beck+hotrods&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA761CA761&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMpu3w9vbYAhUBFmMKHXrvCusQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974

11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

If you knew anything about Clapton, you would know that he doesn't play Layla over and over and also that he really doesn't like the song, hasn't for many years and doesn't like playing it.  Every time I have heard him play it, that was obvious.

I am not sure why there can only be one guitar god in rock, it is just an extension of the times we live in now, the binary world of "My opinions are better than yours."  I think Clapton is better, you think Beck is better.  Maybe one of us is right, maybe we are both wrong.  On the other hand, this statement is simply ludicrous:  "Clapton never got close to this level."  I don't mind agreeing to agree to disagree but when you say stupid shit like that, there really isn't anything to discuss anymore.  Showing a video clip that is almost 20 years old certainly doesn't go far toward your proving Beck's relevance in the music world today.  All I hear in that clip is a bunch of pedal effects and cheap tricks.  

Here is a guy that probably no one here has ever heard of.  I think he completely blows away that Beck performance in this video.  I could go an and on posting many videos of guitarists that are as good or better than Jeff Beck in my opinion.  I met McGarvey after a show and talked to him for a bit, a very nice guy and a hell of a guitar player.  He is good enough that Eric Clapton chose him to play at his Crossroads festival and he has caught the attention of Joe Bonamassa.  So what.  We like what we like.  I'll bet you get in endless Chevy vs Ford vs MOPAR bar arguments all the time too.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I love many awesome guitar players. I’ve been lucky enough too work with a few. 

• Like 1

My favorite guitar players, besides being technically off the charts invented their own sound.

Jimi stands alone on top of the mountain but the others I like;

Brian May, Mick Ronson, Jerry Garcia, Duane Allman, SRV, Robert Johnson, Keith Richards.

For more modern guys I'll take Kurt Cobain, Dan Auerbach and Jack White

Most overrated musician is absolutey Bruce Springsteen, what dumbass named him "the boss"? On second thought he probably gave it to himself

37 minutes ago, 2slow said:

My favorite guitar players, besides being technically off the charts invented their own sound.

Jimi stands alone on top of the mountain but the others I like;

Brian May, Mick Ronson, Jerry Garcia, Duane Allman, SRV, Robert Johnson, Keith Richards.

I agree completely and would not subtract or contest any you mentioned. I'd add Clapton to Hendrix's stature and include a number more including Mark Knopfler....oh and Dick Dale.........B)

Love Clampton, but does not make my cut.  Google when Clampton met Hendrix.  "He killed God!"

Totally agree on Dick Dale and Knopfler

Probably should include Glen Campbell and Roy Clark as well...............I know its on the other side of the fence (I occasionally wander over there) but both of those are considered pretty darn good. 

David Gilmore................

God there are some awesome guitar players..................

Just found the story;

There was also curiosity from the emergent powerhouse of British blues: Cream and Eric Clapton. There was a particular night when Cream allowed Jimi to join them for a jam at the Regent Street Polytechnic in central London. Meeting Clapton had been among the enticements Chandler had used to lure Hendrix to Britain: “Hendrix blew into a version of [Howlin’ Wolf’s] ‘Killing Floor’,” recalls Garland, “and plays it at breakneck tempo, just like that – it stopped you in your tracks.” Altham recalls Chandler going backstage after Clapton left in the middle of the song “which he had yet to master himself”; Clapton was furiously puffing on a cigarette and telling Chas: “You never told me he was that fucking good.”

PB, you are right.  So many great musicians.  We are lucky to be alive in the .000001% of time man has been on the earth with recorded music