• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
sshow bob

Cone of Silence

Returning to SA after a long absence, much is the (unfortunate) same, but there is no news of the Cone. What's the story with it these days?

Go

The

Cone

Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone Go The Cone

The fuck is the cone?

Noobs... <_<

It's for sale. They're taking offers but the boat and sails are in rough shape after kicking around Boston for a few years.

I know everone's gonna pile on, but the cone was a bit before my time. Any sane being want to share some details, size, designer, results, etc so i can get up to speed. Was Aussie, no?

It's for sale. They're taking offers but the boat and sails are in rough shape after kicking around Boston for a few years.

Got a link to the advert?

I know everone's gonna pile on, but the cone was a bit before my time. Any sane being want to share some details, size, designer, results, etc so i can get up to speed. Was Aussie, no?

It was a tricked out and turboed FT10M with a used farr40 stick

Used to kick Ass in DAGO till phrf found out and Scot sold it

GTC. RP 31.GTC. Wicked fast, obscenely large assy spinnakers, rated thru the roof but sailed by a bunch of Aus guys in the early 2000s who didn't give a shit about that or much else apart from a couple of German Sausage girls they met at a regatta down in Geelong. GTC.

As legend goes, they drove the girls as hard as they drove the boat but time may have embellished the memory on that particularly sordid story. GTC. Cone was a giant killer of the highest order and rightly reached legendary status on these pages.GTC. Interior decor was way ahead of its time. GTC. Sold to the States and largely disappeared from the scene - subsequent owners needed much bigger niagaras to drive it near as hard as the original crew.GTC.

Anarchist Tuf Luf has/had the serious hots for the boat. GTC. Disturbingly so. GTC Maybe he can chime in with more detail.GTC

post-25217-0-31814100-1462858836_thumb.jpg

GTC

PS, I utterly refute any notion of sanity.

GTC

post-25217-0-31814100-1462858836_thumb.jpg

RP 31.Wicked fast, obscenely large assy spinnakers, rated thru the roof but sailed by a bunch of Aus guys in the early 2000s who didn't give a shit about that or much else apart from a couple of German Sausage girls they met at a regatta down in Geelong. As legend goes, they drove the girls as hard as they drove the boat but time may have embellished the memory on that story.

Cone was a giant killer of the highest order and rightly reached legendary status on these pages.Interior decor was way ahead of its time. Sold to the States and largely disappeared from the scene - subsequent owners needed bigger balls to drive it as hard as the original crew.

Anarchist Tuf Luf has/had the serious hots for the boat. Disturbingly so.

attachicon.gifJoico2003N49LR.jpg

GTC

Great now the next question = who was tuf luf :-O

RP 31.Wicked fast, obscenely large assy spinnakers, rated thru the roof but sailed by a bunch of Aus guys in the early 2000s who didn't give a shit about that or much else apart from a couple of German Sausage girls they met at a regatta down in Geelong. As legend goes, they drove the girls as hard as they drove the boat but time may have embellished the memory on that story.

Cone was a giant killer of the highest order and rightly reached legendary status on these pages.Interior decor was way ahead of its time. Sold to the States and largely disappeared from the scene - subsequent owners needed bigger balls to drive it as hard as the original crew.

Anarchist Tuf Luf has/had the serious hots for the boat. Disturbingly so.

GTC

Great now the next question = who was tuf luf :-O

Those who need to know who Tuffy is, know. That is all. GTC bb

These days you'd knock some weight off the bulb, weight out of the hull & reduce the sail area a bit & it would be faster.

Have to agree, the vids the subsequent owners have posted don't seem to push it very hard.

The Cone has been in heated storage for the last 3 seasons. Owner has two young kids and is in the midst of getting a start up off the ground, so not much time.

I wouldn't say he's actively looking to sell it, but everything is for sale for the right offer.

She's got a new upwind Code 0 and #1 from Evo which came out OK. We only had half a season of tweaking with them so can't say for sure how they'll be. The downwind sails have been updated over the years and has a pretty large inventory.

At the end of the day, there aren't many downwind style races in New England and we only use PHRF in Boston which makes it a tough place to have a 30' sport boat. I can't think of a team that's had more fun over the years, though.

If anyone wants to make a real offer on the boat I can put you in touch with the owner, or maybe he'll jump in the thread, but I think there have been lots of tire kickers... PM me if you want more info.

Cheers,

Murphness

The Cone has been in heated storage for the last 3 seasons. Owner has two young kids and is in the midst of getting a start up off the ground, so not much time.

I wouldn't say he's actively looking to sell it, but everything is for sale for the right offer.

She's got a new upwind Code 0 and #1 from Evo which came out OK. We only had half a season of tweaking with them so can't say for sure how they'll be. The downwind sails have been updated over the years and has a pretty large inventory.

At the end of the day, there aren't many downwind style races in New England and we only use PHRF in Boston which makes it a tough place to have a 30' sport boat. I can't think of a team that's had more fun over the years, though.

If anyone wants to make a real offer on the boat I can put you in touch with the owner, or maybe he'll jump in the thread, but I think there have been lots of tire kickers... PM me if you want more info.

Cheers,

Murphness

I'll start. $15,000. I'd pay $30k if it could sail upwind. But it's a one way boat.

The fuck is the cone?

SmartConeofSilence-e1436276204414.jpg

rates about -31 in phrf

a little orange paint and it would be faster

CONE!

1304977282085.cached.jpg

DId the board die after the Transpac thread on The Cone, or does it exist somewhere? That was a hell of an adventure.

This should keep you suitably entertained for a few minutes.

Elliot 35SS transpac

DId the board die after the Transpac thread on The Cone, or does it exist somewhere? That was a hell of an adventure.

Elliot 35SS transpac

Gesus christ that is frigging awesome. Me want.... ;) As an asside, so I can feel better about my choices in life, how much did it cost to run that race, all in....??

The original sportboat....

Only if you have been living under a rock. And the Cone is more in the sportyacht class rather than a sportboat.

Not trying to detract anything from the Cone.........................it is certainly a rare breed

Loved the Cone updates and stories on SA along with the videos and photos. There are some Cone of Silence videos on the tube.

GTC. RP 31.GTC. Wicked fast, obscenely large assy spinnakers, rated thru the roof but sailed by a bunch of Aus guys in the early 2000s who didn't give a shit about that or much else apart from a couple of German Sausage girls they met at a regatta down in Geelong. GTC.

As legend goes, they drove the girls as hard as they drove the boat but time may have embellished the memory on that particularly sordid story. GTC. Cone was a giant killer of the highest order and rightly reached legendary status on these pages.GTC. Interior decor was way ahead of its time. GTC. Sold to the States and largely disappeared from the scene - subsequent owners needed much bigger niagaras to drive it near as hard as the original crew.GTC.

Anarchist Tuf Luf has/had the serious hots for the boat. GTC. Disturbingly so. GTC Maybe he can chime in with more detail.GTC

GTC

PS, I utterly refute any notion of sanity.

GTC

I always thought the prod was a bit on the short side!

Elliot 35SS transpac

Gesus christ that is frigging awesome. Me want.... ;) As an asside, so I can feel better about my choices in life, how much did it cost to run that race, all in....??

I'm not connected to the boat at all. The guy who posted the video on YouTube is on here with the same name (BooBoo) and there are some great vids of crusader on his channel.

But the boat is going to set you back about a mill new with sails in a canter. You could buy its older smaller brother for $123K NZD. http://www.elliott-marine.com/brokerage/overload-elliott-9-super-sport/

The saddest story out of the Cone is the slow decline of two of the funniest hard charging Australian crew.

Their Facebook posts now have 40th birthday party shots, their morning Lattes, puppy photos, engagement parties, afternoon naps and walker frames.

Who would have thunk.

Raced against the Cone a lot and on it a few times, despite much hype based on a few outstanding and epic downwind races, it was not much of an all rounder and never really did much in Super 30's at the time. I think would be owned by a Melges 32 in all but heavy downwind. But then try doing Transpac in a M32.

In her day, Cone of Silence was a revelation, an absolute rocket ship. That was few years ago now and later designs like RPs Melges 32 would probably have her measure.To put it in (Aussie) perspective, she was the 'Little Nico' of her time.

What those newer designs don't have is the Cone of Silence attitude which is largely what built the legend. I remember racing against TCoS at Skandia Geelong Week in 2005 where she blitzed everything on the water but wound up nowhere on the result sheets. That didn't slow the lads down one bit in their endless quest for gun smoke, alcohol and poon tang.

It was at that regatta that I asked one of the Cone guys if I could hop on board for a look. I had my wife with me at the time and he said quite seriously "you can; she can't". It was then that I snapped the photo of the magnificently decorated interior that has repeatedly graced S A's pages for more than ten years. Here's a few shots from 2005:

post-449-0-32242000-1462938997_thumb.jpg

post-449-0-40078100-1462938806_thumb.jpg

post-449-0-05804500-1462938819_thumb.jpg

post-449-0-65710400-1462938830_thumb.jpg

Who owned the TCoS in oz & are they still campaigning a boat?

Jamie Neill out of RPAYC, After the RP31 TCoS he had a Beneslow 47.7 cruelly called the Crone of Silence then an MC38 also called TCoS. After that, no idea.

The original sportboat....

Nah mate. THIS from 1986 (or 87......or something)

http://www.elliott-marine.com/assets/Uploads/Elliott8.5-racing-gorillabiscuits-yacht-design-marine-GregElliott-sailboat-keelboat.pdf

Petal, Phizzle, Jono and PatMan

3 of us from Melbourne had the pleasure of sailing on GB with Grelliott and Jono plus Jono's crazy dog in July 1987 while we were in Auckland to talk to Greg about building our winged Sportscar. This was shortly after they had fitted fixed wings to GB because the Squadron banned them from racing with hinged wings. We even made it into the local press! Its hard to believe that was nearly thirty years ago.

post-449-0-31494300-1462943584_thumb.jpgpost-449-0-15685500-1462943615_thumb.jpgpost-449-0-05585000-1462943730_thumb.jpg

post-449-0-09331000-1462944019_thumb.jpg

30 years ago... I am trying to work out if I was sailing on Turbo or Scavenger... I think it was Savenger

30 years ago... I am trying to work out if I was sailing on Turbo or Scavenger... I think it was Savenger

Probably still on Turbo - Jo launched Scavenger in 1989-90, more than a year after we launched the Red Car in July '88. Vendetta was launched just before Scavenger.

There was a season on Chausser (?) in there somewhere with the Turbo crew, that was a fun trip in the West Coaster

Edit - I think it was 1988 based on a song and the room we stayed in at Hobart, if you can work out that connection you should be on Rock Wiz

Elliot 35SS transpac

I'm not connected to the boat at all. The guy who posted the video on YouTube is on here with the same name (BooBoo) and there are some great vids of crusader on his channel.

But the boat is going to set you back about a mill new with sails in a canter. You could buy its older smaller brother for $123K NZD. http://www.elliott-marine.com/brokerage/overload-elliott-9-super-sport/

I think that the fact that a couple have been built and bugs ironed out means the price would be closer to .6 than a full mill. Remember these are actually quite simple boats, one rudder, one cannard, electric powerpack, no interior, tiller.

Who owned the TCoS in oz & are they still campaigning a boat?

Jamie Neill out of RPAYC, After the RP31 TCoS he had a Beneslow 47.7 cruelly called the Crone of Silence then an MC38 also called TCoS. After that, no idea.

Cool thanks SC.

Elliot 35SS transpac

I think that the fact that a couple have been built and bugs ironed out means the price would be closer to .6 than a full mill. Remember these are actually quite simple boats, one rudder, one cannard, electric powerpack, no interior, tiller.

I thought they were 750k+++ but they are 650k+++

http://www.salthouseboats.com/pdfs/Salthouse_Elliott35-SuperSport.pdf

Sure bugs ironed out but material & labour costs always go up, up & away. I reckon you'd be close to a mill with freight, tax, electrics & sails.

There was a season on Chausser (?) in there somewhere with the Turbo crew, that was a fun trip in the West Coaster

Edit - I think it was 1988 based on a song and the room we stayed in at Hobart, if you can work out that connection you should be on Rock Wiz

Were you on Chasseur in that Cock of the Bay race when the deck stepped mast deflected the deck which jammed the dunny door shut, trapping Gai in there until they got to Mornington?

Raced against the Cone a lot and on it a few times, despite much hype based on a few outstanding and epic downwind races, it was not much of an all rounder and never really did much in Super 30's at the time. I think would be owned by a Melges 32 in all but heavy downwind. But then try doing Transpac in a M32.

I seem to remember TCOS almost pipped Ichi Ban (Farr 52 OD) across the line in a Southport race. Not bad for a 31 footer in a 380+ nm coastal race.

I would think Matt Allen would have been hiding all the sharp implements on board if that had come to pass...

Mex

Were you on Chasseur in that Cock of the Bay race when the deck stepped mast deflected the deck which jammed the dunny door shut, trapping Gai in there until they got to Mornington?

I have never done the Cock of the Bay and I don't remember that story. Might have been after Scavenger hit the water

I seem to remember TCOS almost pipped Ichi Ban (Farr 52 OD) across the line in a Southport race. Not bad for a 31 footer in a 380+ nm coastal race.

I would think Matt Allen would have been hiding all the sharp implements on board if that had come to pass...

Mex

Did pip ICHI didn't it?

"The relatively small 9.6m sloop showed exceptional speed to finish only 1 hour 34 minutes astern of line honours winner the 18.29m Wild Joe while leaving the Volvo 60 (18.29m) Seriously TEN and Ichi Ban (15.7m) to follow her wake to the finish"

I might be mixing this quote up. But recall crew on a 50+ footer who had just been passed being told by skipper "dont worry they wont be there in the morning" he was correct they were 10 mile ahead

Mex

Did pip ICHI didn't it?

"The relatively small 9.6m sloop showed exceptional speed to finish only 1 hour 34 minutes astern of line honours winner the 18.29m Wild Joe while leaving the Volvo 60 (18.29m) Seriously TEN and Ichi Ban (15.7m) to follow her wake to the finish"

You could be right. It was a fast race and the drinking started early and in earnest!

Mex

We shall soon see. Melges 32, Rufless, is signed up for Pacific Cup (SF to Hawaii) this summer, starting in July. The crew have been to Hawaii many, many times and seem to be in the category of, if anyone can do it, they can do it.

Thread drift alert.

Hey Wal - which Jono? I sailed on the GB for the summer of 90/91 when I was sweeping fleers with Pete and Terry. First keelboat I'd sailed on with a gennaker. That summer the Sneaky Frog was put together. That would have also been a good match up as a Cone predecessor.

Thread drift alert.

Hey Wal - which Jono? I sailed on the GB for the summer of 90/91 when I was sweeping fleers with Pete and Terry. First keelboat I'd sailed on with a gennaker. That summer the Sneaky Frog was put together. That would have also been a good match up as a Cone predecessor.

Jono, Pete & Terry built our winged Sportscar in 1988 out the back of Newmarket, at the same time as they were building the plug for Future Shock for Ian Margan.

We shall soon see. Melges 32, Rufless, is signed up for Pacific Cup (SF to Hawaii) this summer, starting in July. The crew have been to Hawaii many, many times and seem to be in the category of, if anyone can do it, they can do it.

Awesome, its a rant for another thread but we can't race a M32 is Aus in a 30 mile coastal race, without major mods.

Dunno what happened to Cone in the 2008 edition of the Chaicago Macinac. Having raced on Cone I would have said it had the legs on a Melges 32 downhill. The Cone beat the Melges 32s in their first Chicago-Macinac race by quite a distance. Cone carried more assos and the 1 and 2 assos were as big or bigger than the Melges no1 assy.

Also... Line honours for 2005 Sydney Mooloolaba were:

1 Wild Joe (the old Wild Oats X RP 66 canter)

2 AAPT (Sean Langman's turboed open 60, 'the skiff on steroids')

3 The Cone of Silence

4 Ichi Ban Farr 52?

5 Seriously TEN Volvo 60

6 UBS Wild Thing Inglis 50? (extended 47)

Thread drift alert.

That "Jonno" was AKA Anus.

Regarding Chicago Mac Race, it's a crap shoot. You could go up one side of the lake and be becalmed while the other side is doing 12 knots. Rarely a straight line speed test.

(null)

Awesome, its a rant for another thread but we can't race a M32 is Aus in a 30 mile coastal race, without major mods.

Crazy hey! You see the O30 guys who race to Hawaii solo, sym kites & a 20yr old dirty 2stroke outboard on the back but you can't get M32 to do coastal in OZ.

I'd have an educated guess that the TCOS beats a M32 downwind in a blow but wouldn't keep up going uphill due to the extra weight of the CONE. 500kg+

Awesome, its a rant for another thread but we can't race a M32 is Aus in a 30 mile coastal race, without major mods.What part of cat 3 can't they meet?

So let's recap. she's a fun boat but a shitter at collecting trophies. We're where we were 10 years ago except she hasn't been wet in3-4 years

Crazy hey! You see the O30 guys who race to Hawaii solo, sym kites & a 20yr old dirty 2stroke outboard on the back but you can't get M32 to do coastal in OZ.

I'd have an educated guess that the TCOS beats a M32 downwind in a blow but wouldn't keep up going uphill due to the extra weight of the CONE. 500kg+

We shall soon see. Melges 32, Rufless, is