TPG

Quitting smoking (almost) 1 year in.

quitting is easy .......................

I've done it plenty of times :)

7 yrs plus this time so here's hoping .

never think you can just have one ...............................

shit is worse than smack .

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

Smoking a primal joy. Breaking oneself of the habit that offers such a simple pleasure to life requires extreme measures for some of us.

It sounds like you had an easy time quitting to play soccer and sail, not everyone is able to do it as easily as you.

It was pretty easy compared to some others apparently, but not without pain.  But about giving up addictions ...

Friend of mine gave up smoking because he could no longer afford it.  Still not smoking years later even though he has money now, I think I have mentioned this before.  But he has been drinking too much for too long and he has pancreas problems, inflammation if he hits it hard.  So he reverted to the plan that worked last time and gave away his rum still and all brewing equipment, then started buying much smaller quantities of expensive booze and he is tapering off successfully.

Congrats to all those who have quit and not looking back.....

KEEP TRYING to all those who are looking and occasionally stepping back: your life is worth it

-DSK

5 hours ago, random said:

It was pretty easy compared to some others apparently, but not without pain.  But about giving up addictions ...

Friend of mine gave up smoking because he could no longer afford it.  Still not smoking years later even though he has money now, I think I have mentioned this before.  But he has been drinking too much for too long and he has pancreas problems, inflammation if he hits it hard.  So he reverted to the plan that worked last time and gave away his rum still and all brewing equipment, then started buying much smaller quantities of expensive booze and he is tapering off successfully.

I think that we all have our own personal kryptonites ... smoking, drinking, sex, overeating, caffeine, television, gambling, internet, drugs. Yeah, we can kick some addictions, others aren't so easy.

I don't know anyone who isn't addicted to something, except for a few very old people. Addiction might even be a feature of our humanity.

This thread is encouraging. Smoke is bad for decent health as much as I forget, and vapor seems to be a good way out. Life is too much fun to throw it away with diseased lungs now that vapor can deliver the pleasure. I'm in love with the caffeine vape I've found, sometimes I don't even think about nic ... uh, maybe once or twice, but it has happened.

8 hours ago, mikewof said:

I think that we all have our own personal kryptonites ... smoking, drinking, sex, overeating, caffeine, television, gambling, internet, drugs.

Uhhhh - yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.........what's your point? :D

January 2,1997. Finally fulfilled a promise to my father made six months earlier as he lay dying from lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking. I have kept it, after the first couple years I didn’t miss it at all. Still smoke an occasional cigar. One of the wisest things I ever did.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, barleymalt said:

January 2,1997. Finally fulfilled a promise to my father made six months earlier as he lay dying from lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking. I have kept it, after the first couple years I didn’t miss it at all. Still smoke an occasional cigar. One of the wisest things I ever did.

My old man died of lung cancer too.  I had quit but he could not.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:27 PM, shaggy said:

Ok, so ...  I used to smoke 1-2 packs of al Capone cheezy cigars on a good wed night, weekend regattas I brought 4 and rarely came home with many left.  Love the somoke feel of a good cigar, but could never get through an entire cubano and I never wanted to waste 30 bucks, so the Al Capones were small and good and I never really cared if I had to throw the damn thing overboard if something went screwy.  Once I went vape though, my god, I can breathe in the morning, hangovers are 1/2 as evil and my wallet is a bit heftier after buying into the whole vape thing.  I am still at 3 mg but could prob go down to 0 without much hassle.  The big thing is you gotta get a good pen.  Spend the $70- $100 for a good mod(the thing that holds the batteries) and get a good tank.  With a good mod you can adjust the ohms and wats to your taste.  This is a good thing...  I originally went the route of buying the cheep pens first then after a year of replacing shit every week, bit the bullet and got a good one.  I have had it for about 2 years and only have had to replace the battery once (lion).  As to the juice, I honed it down to chi tea 3 mg from Centennial vapor (10 bucks or so for a btl, YMMV( it lasts a week or 2 depending on partying).  I went down the custom expensive road for a while, but landed on that.  So pros are you can wake up and be functional immediately without the smoking hangover, cons well, we will have to wait and see..  It has to be better than smoking right??  ;)

I've noticed with vaping that is is addictive in a different way than smoking. With ciggerbuddies, you have to find the time, the place, get away from your desk, or your home, light up, make a moment out of it. That's almost kind of good in a way, it's a moment away from life.

But with vape, you don't need fire, you can do it anywhere, any time, even one puff then put it away. Its convenience inserts it into many more aspects of life. I think you're right, it's better than smoking, but I can also see that the way it's integrated into much more of life, it might be more difficult to not do it at some point. I remember that feeling of not being able to leave the house without keys, pack of butts and a lighter. And long ago, when I mostly kicked, it felt free to be able to leave with just keys. Now it seems that the vape pen is becoming that necessity in the pocket, all the time. And the vapor is fulfilling, it's cool, it goes right in front of the eyeballs with no irritation, no particles, just whatever liquid makes that vapor. it's thick and dissipates just right. 

But I'm open to the idea that this may genuinely be something new ... it seems an ideal way to deliver medications or nutrients. I could see specialized medical vape pens being prescribed soon enough.

Cigars are great for gnat amelioration when gardening in early spring..... Gotta be a good cigar though. Guinea stinkers just don't cut it.

wheeee zombie thread. 3 years now.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:56 AM, mikewof said:

I've noticed with vaping that is is addictive in a different way than smoking. With ciggerbuddies, you have to find the time, the place, get away from your desk, or your home, light up, make a moment out of it. That's almost kind of good in a way, it's a moment away from life.

But with vape, you don't need fire, you can do it anywhere, any time, even one puff then put it away. Its convenience inserts it into many more aspects of life. I think you're right, it's better than smoking, but I can also see that the way it's integrated into much more of life, it might be more difficult to not do it at some point. I remember that feeling of not being able to leave the house without keys, pack of butts and a lighter. And long ago, when I mostly kicked, it felt free to be able to leave with just keys. Now it seems that the vape pen is becoming that necessity in the pocket, all the time. And the vapor is fulfilling, it's cool, it goes right in front of the eyeballs with no irritation, no particles, just whatever liquid makes that vapor. it's thick and dissipates just right. 

But I'm open to the idea that this may genuinely be something new ... it seems an ideal way to deliver medications or nutrients. I could see specialized medical vape pens being prescribed soon enough.

When I changed from smoking to vaping I treated exactly like smoking, I never smoked in the family home so I vaped outside as well, same at work, vaping is treated like smoking so outside you go.  Some people might not like you vaping around them and this way you still get that moment away from life.

For me smoking was a habit, a ritual if you like, checking pockets for smokes before heading out the door is very much part of that, having the vape in my pocket instead was an easy switch.  Now that I'm on zero nic, doesn't mater if I leave it at home, unless I'm going for a beer, then I gotta have it with me.

3 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

When I changed from smoking to vaping I treated exactly like smoking, I never smoked in the family home so I vaped outside as well, same at work, vaping is treated like smoking so outside you go.  Some people might not like you vaping around them and this way you still get that moment away from life.

For me smoking was a habit, a ritual if you like, checking pockets for smokes before heading out the door is very much part of that, having the vape in my pocket instead was an easy switch.  Now that I'm on zero nic, doesn't mater if I leave it at home, unless I'm going for a beer, then I gotta have it with me.

I get the vaping thing.  Some friends do a few joints and I struggle, the share, my lungs are too pink now and I cough lot's.  Maybe vaping is the go.

But it still sounds really stupid.  Vaping on a regular basis with tobacco?  Time to give it away mate.

34 minutes ago, floating dutchman said:

You are still a slave to a product.

Get totally clean and enjoy being so.

Believe me there comes a time when you are free from fags or vape and it is simply a fantastic feeling of freedom and health not to mention wealth.

I smoked ciggies for about 27 years.

Quit four years ago one day out of the blue.  Something just snapped in my head.  Don't ask me to explain why or how that happened, it just did.

Didn't miss it in the slightest apart from a couple weeks early on that I felt a bit grotty, not bad effort to kick it though because I was between a one and two pack smoker per day.    However, I saw all these fuckers vaping as it became more popular, and fuck me if I didn't have to give that a go and before I knew it I was a vapor dude merrily sucking nicotine into my system.  (I just used standard store bought general consumer vapes, couldn't be bothered doing all your own "mods" and making it some geeky wank techo experience. Im too fucking lazy for that).

However, after a year on the vape I gave that up to.  Even though nicotine itself is relatively harmless, I was starting to get some nicotine hangovers in the morning.  
I missed the feeling of waking up clear headed like I did soon after giving up the ciggies, so one day three months ago I just up and quit vaping too. 

While I was smoking, I recall lighting up in other people's homes!   Faaaaaarkkk!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, random said:

While I was smoking, I recall lighting up in other people's homes!   Faaaaaarkkk!

putting out ashtrays for guests ......................

ashtrays on Doctors desks .

8 minutes ago, random said:

I remember in the 80's lighting up at work, in the office, at the office table, in a open office with my work colleagues - anti smoking campaigners would freak the fuck out if they saw that today. But we all did it back then, and no one seemed to give a fuck. Smoke filled office rooms were as common as smoke filled pubs.  Now both are ancient history.

The most difficult to comprehend is that it used to be allowed in aircraft

2635321903_40012f6667_b.jpg

and hospitals .....................

3 hours ago, Mid said:

and hospitals .....................

It was rude to ask someone not to smoke near kids in the hospital waiting room. Just yesterday, my son and I were sitting outside on a ledge throwing rocks down a hill, and a guy sat down a good  thirty feet away, and before lighting up, he asked me "okay if I smoke?" I didn't even comprehend it for a moment, we were outside, he was nowhere near me, why did he ask? It's different.

But I think we're seeing the calm before the storm with vaping, because we still have a residual connection of the dangers of smoking and vaping looks like smoking. But it isn't smoking, it might not only be harmless, but with the right ingredients it might be healthy.

I can see all kinds of nutritional supplements and medicines delivered by disposable vape pens because it seems a far better way to get stuff into the bloodstream quickly and reliably. A pill or a hypodermic can't report back to the internet via Bluetooth how much medicine was delivered to a patient, but a vape pen can do exactly that ... it can measure how hard and for how long, how often the patient inhaled. Some emotionally ill patient is suddenly getting erratic with his antidepressant inhales? The pen can report back to the doctor, maybe the treatment can be adjusted. The asthmatic or COPD is suddenly self-medicating with the pen ten times more than usual to keep breathing? The pen can report back to the doctor, then maybe even add some steroids to the inhales until the patient can get some help. Diabetic not inhaling the insulin sufficiently? The pen might be able to measure the blood sugar from CO2 levels on the exhale.

And unlike pills, an encrypted, connected pen could eliminate counterfeit or out-of-country meds, big pharma would shoot a load to get that. Inhaled medicines can act faster and more reliably then edible meds. 

It's obvious that the pharma industry is already working on this. Nothing less than fucking Foxconn, the iPhone builder, is making vape systems. They see the writing on the wall to be able to make that kind of investment.

In my town, there are weed shops and vape shops. The two are different, vape shops don't sell weed, but weed shops sell vapes. I suspect that in twenty years, the weed shops will be mostly gone, with weed sold at every corner shop. While the vape shops will be the new pharmacies.

Just over 3 years now..

Haven't picked one up or even had a puff of one in that time.

The very rare craving is easy to get over.

Gotta say, they stink and I can't believe I ever did it in the first place..

On 6/1/2018 at 3:30 AM, random said:

Heck, I remember my mom and dad smoking on the plane (her cigs, Benson and hedges menthol lights, and pop smoking a pipe) on the way to Europe, I was 10...  Heck, Even when I went to NZ (93) after graduation, the back of the plane was smoking and by far, the smokers in the back were a ton more interesting than the general population.  At that point, I think it was only allowed on intl flights.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:02 AM, mikewof said:

....   ...

But I think we're seeing the calm before the storm with vaping, because we still have a residual connection of the dangers of smoking and vaping looks like smoking. But it isn't smoking, it might not only be harmless, but with the right ingredients it might be healthy.

AYFKM?

I used to think you were smart. Vaping isn't harmless?

You need to stop hitting yourself in the head with a brick. It'll get better if you stop, honest

The problem with vaping as a delivery for medication is that there are no medications whose combustion products are the medicine.

-DSK

On 5/26/2018 at 10:13 PM, Mid said:

quitting is easy .......................

I've done it plenty of times :)

7 yrs plus this time so here's hoping .

never think you can just have one ...............................

shit is worse than smack .

Neighbor had a dog that went CooCoo for CatShit 

fresher the better

could never stop because ................. 

same as cigarettes , but a dog who ate Cat shit outside pollutes a much smaller area while doing so

if anyone can imagine anything desirable about that habit they have Not Yet woke up

I'm not telling anyone to quit (works the opposite) But I do see anyone smoking one to be holding and making love to a Cat Shit

It's NOT Hollywood 1937 anymore

The WORD is OUT !!

43 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

....Neighbor had a dog that went CooCoo for CatShit 

fresher the better

could never stop because ................. 

same as cigarettes , but a dog who ate Cat shit outside pollutes a much smaller area while doing so

if anyone can imagine anything desirable about that habit they have Not Yet woke up

I'm not telling anyone to quit (works the opposite) But I do see anyone smoking one to be holding and making love to a Cat Shit

It's NOT Hollywood 1937 anymore

The WORD is OUT !!

I yield ...I have been out.... obtused....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

AYFKM?

I used to think you were smart. Vaping isn't harmless?

You need to stop hitting yourself in the head with a brick. It'll get better if you stop, honest

The problem with vaping as a delivery for medication is that there are no medications whose combustion products are the medicine.

-DSK

I'm willing to learn here, I don't know much about it.

I thought that with vape, the main agent is the vegetable oil with a little bit of propylene glycol, both FDA GRAS. Then the active agents (i.e. Nicotine, caffeine, flavoring, medication) is added in trace amounts, like micrograms.

So I don't know what effect vaporized vegetable oil has on alveoli ... I would like to know though. Is it harmful? Harmless? Helpful?

But delivery for medication ... the energy to vaporize the oil -- I'm told -- is way, way below the combustion point of the active ingredient. It's kind of obvious the efficiency of the system, you have a tiny, watch battery that can run the vape for hours, it just powers a little piezoelectric vibrator that oscillates at the right frequency to break the surface energy of the oil molecules. I think it must modulate the bulk surface right near the Kelvin barrier. That's nowhere in the energy domain of combustion.

Also, asthmatics and COPD patients have been using nearly identical piezoelectric vape systems for delivery of their medicines, and they've been doing it for years. Those systems don't denature the albuterol and the steroids, they just deliver them in the mist. The big difference though is that those systems mist with water rather than oil.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

piezoelectric vape

You are right, you don't know much about it.

Every Vape machine I've seen uses a heating coil, A watch battery would last all of 30 seconds.  They use good old fashion heat to create the vape.

On 6/1/2018 at 5:38 AM, Peanutbutterjars said:

I remember in the 80's lighting up at work, in the office, at the office table, in a open office with my work colleagues - anti smoking campaigners would freak the fuck out if they saw that today. But we all did it back then, and no one seemed to give a fuck. Smoke filled office rooms were as common as smoke filled pubs.  Now both are ancient history.

i remember when you could smoke in hospitals. Mid 80's in Philly. Duke was one of last to go smoke free

5 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

You are right, you don't know much about it.

Every Vape machine I've seen uses a heating coil, A watch battery would last all of 30 seconds.  They use good old fashion heat to create the vape.

Tomato, tomahto. There has to be heat involved because of the latent heat of vaporization, from the bulk liquid to the vapor. If that's made with piezo or a heating wick, the efficiency is limited by the thermodynamics of the surface energy. I know that some atomizers use piezo because I've taken them apart. But, yeah if my little Infinix uses a heater then it still uses much less energy than combustion. The molecules are being broken away from the surface, not too many of them can be chemically altered at that temperature.

I'm going to take apart a disposable pen, the battery can't be very large in that.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Tomato, tomahto. There has to be heat involved because of the latent heat of vaporization, from the bulk liquid to the vapor. If that's made with piezo or a heating wick, the efficiency is limited by the thermodynamics of the surface energy. I know that some atomizers use piezo because I've taken them apart. But, yeah if my little Infinix uses a heater then it still uses much less energy than combustion. The molecules are being broken away from the surface, not too many of them can be chemically altered at that temperature.

I'm going to take apart a disposable pen, the battery can't be very large in that.

I think that an atomizer might be a good idea but all the "vapes" I've been exposed to are burning nicotine oil. It's just like the smoke of a cigarette, only concentrated. Electric heater (even a tiny one) creating smoke = combustion

-DSK

3 hours ago, burndoc said:

i remember when you could smoke in hospitals. Mid 80's in Philly. Duke was one of last to go smoke free

Late seventies in Canada, I had a private room and the nurses hated me because I smoked Gauloises. I was in for quite a while, so it must have taken a lot to get the stench out.

10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think that an atomizer might be a good idea but all the "vapes" I've been exposed to are burning nicotine oil. It's just like the smoke of a cigarette, only concentrated. Electric heater (even a tiny one) creating smoke = combustion

-DSK

I thought that the energy needed is too low to actually combust anything, but again, I still don't know enough about this.

When I combust a little oil, say on the stove, it leaves a heavy, noticeable smell. But the oil vapor off of the vape pen isn't even detectable once it dissipates. It seems a much lower energy kind of thing. And the vapor is noticeably cool compared to hot smoke.

Since 10/2009 for me, used the patch for two stages and managed to kill off a 2 pack a day/50 year habit.

That's an equivalent, of course, as there were cigars and pipes as alternates (all inhaled) when SWMBO became activistic about smoking in the house.

She WAS right...we had to "Kilz" the place twice to get rid of the Tar-Yellow before painting. Can only imagine what I looked like inside.   It's pleasant to lay down at night and not listen to the "concertina music" of my lungs trying to perform their function.

If you're trying to stop, get a quit-buddy and USE him or her.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:37 PM, moon unit said:

Just over 3 years now..

Haven't picked one up or even had a puff of one in that time.

The very rare craving is easy to get over.

Gotta say, they stink and I can't believe I ever did it in the first place..

Couple of my employees smoke, they ask if I want one now and then. I laugh at them then go militant.

The vaping (douche flute) shit is just obnoxious IMO. 

9 hours ago, mikewof said:
19 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

I thought that the energy needed is too low to actually combust anything, but again, I still don't know enough about this.

When I combust a little oil, say on the stove, it leaves a heavy, noticeable smell. But the oil vapor off of the vape pen isn't even detectable once it dissipates. It seems a much lower energy kind of thing. And the vapor is noticeably cool compared to hot smoke. 

The vape I use, I'm fairly sure just sort of boils off the juice.

Definitely no combustion going on.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:38 PM, mikewof said:

Understatement of the decade, nicotine is like the fingers of heaven massaging the cerebral cortex.

I assumed it's harmful though. I don't understand all of this.

You also asked about the vape juice.  While most carriers (last I read) are propylene and triethylene glycol, and those have very low toxicity, I cannot image that huffing large quantities of the vapor can do wonderful things to your lungs/body/blood over time.  I am not a doctor, but I am a chemist.

Note that nicotinic acid is the active ingredient in Black Flag insecticide (nicotine and nicotinic acid are not the same thing, but close enough for me).

11 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Note that nicotinic acid is the active ingredient in Black Flag insecticide

False equivalencies really shit me.  It's like saying that you should not drink water because it is a major ingredient in a steaming turd.

On 6/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, floating dutchman said:
On 6/7/2018 at 10:31 AM, mikewof said:
On 6/6/2018 at 11:38 PM, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

The vape I use, I'm fairly sure just sort of boils off the juice.

Definitely no combustion going on.

I would have been fairly sure that all the vaping I see, there -is- combustion. But you & Wofsey may be right, I don't know for sure.

And the smell definitely lingers in the same way tobacco smoke does....... gets in the hair, on clothes, car headliners, furniture (if you do it indoors) etc etc. Ask a non-smoker / non-vaper

-DSK

43 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I would have been fairly sure that all the vaping I see, there -is- combustion. But you & Wofsey may be right, I don't know for sure.

And the smell definitely lingers in the same way tobacco smoke does....... gets in the hair, on clothes, car headliners, furniture (if you do it indoors) etc etc. Ask a non-smoker / non-vaper

-DSK

You can smell the fruity assholes a mile away.

6 hours ago, TPG said:

You can smell the fruity assholes a mile away.

Douche flutes!

But that vapor, it's thick and cool and it curls through the air in perfect high-Stokes turbulence. It's everything that smoke wants to be. It doesn't screw up the taste of gin or whisky the way the hot stuff does.

If luxuriating in cool vape makes me a douche, then batten down the hatches and lower the douche canoes into the River Douche, because I'm blasting through the piss and vinegar toward the liftoff of the douche rocket to the Planet Douchenstein.

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

Douche flutes!

But that vapor, it's thick and cool and it curls through the air in perfect high-Stokes turbulence. It's everything that smoke wants to be. It doesn't screw up the taste of gin or whisky the way the hot stuff does.

If luxuriating in cool vape makes me a douche, then batten down the hatches and lower the douche canoes into the River Douche, because I'm blasting through the piss and vinegar toward the liftoff of the douche rocket to the Planet Douchenstein.

I'll give it to you mikey, atleast you own it. 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:06 AM, random said:

False equivalencies really shit me.  It's like saying that you should not drink water because it is a major ingredient in a steaming turd.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I did not remember what I thought I did -- in fact it was *nicotine* that was the active ingredient in Black Flag (and other insecticides) for years.