• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
bobbaker

Can I use a Tacktick Triducer with a Nexus NX2 system? How?

I want to re-use a Tacktick Raymarine Triducer (DST800 t910) with my Nexus NX2 system.

Mechanically it is a direct swop for the Garmin Nmea2000 Triducer I have fitted at present. Part Number: 010-11051-00

The tacktick and the nexus paddles have the same Airmar circuit diagram with a hall sensor, a diode, a resistor and a capacitor though the

part numbers and values might be different. They both have a 3 wire interface - common, supply, sensor.

This is an experiment to see if it fixes problems I am having with the Nexus nRace calc of TWS/TWD; which may be due to

the use of boat speed data from the Garmin Nmea2000 Triducer via the GND10 rather than the usual Nexus/Airmar TH52 paddle wheel connected

directly to the NX2 server log input.

If necessary I can refurbish the old paddle wheel with a repair kit.

If this works i will also need to make the sounder work with the NX2 server. I think they are both 200Hz but I dont know the respective

drive loads and powers needed?

any advice from anyone with experience of something similar welcome.

post-47704-0-20669200-1462891526_thumb.jpg

post-47704-0-20669200-1462891526_thumb.jpg

I don't have direct experience with what you're doing, but on my boat I had a tacktick racemaster compass and NX2 server and displays. I bought the tacktick nmea converter box and wired that to the nexus server originally just through the nmea out so I could get wind information on the racemaster, but then I plugged into the "nmea gps" on the NX2 Server so that I could get heading information onto the nexus network and calculate true wind direction.

I imagine that you can do the same type of exercise if you have the nmea box for the tacktick - connect its output to the nx2 gps input.

I was just about to go down to the boat and see if I could calibrate the n2k speed data going into the NX server from a GND10. I know my boat can't motor at 8 knots boat speed (more like 7.2 WOT) and I've calibrated on the N2K/B&G side, but the NX2 displays still show 8 knots, so I need to see if I can bring that down to a reasonable rate. We shall see!

BadgerB - I did a replacement on my Nexus system with a spare Tacktick speed transducer, so I think the Triducer will probably work. It wouldn't hurt to wire it up and try it.

I don't have direct experience with what you're doing, but on my boat I had a tacktick racemaster compass and NX2 server and displays. I bought the tacktick nmea converter box and wired that to the nexus server originally just through the nmea out so I could get wind information on the racemaster, but then I plugged into the "nmea gps" on the NX2 Server so that I could get heading information onto the nexus network and calculate true wind direction.

I imagine that you can do the same type of exercise if you have the nmea box for the tacktick - connect its output to the nx2 gps input.

I was just about to go down to the boat and see if I could calibrate the n2k speed data going into the NX server from a GND10. I know my boat can't motor at 8 knots boat speed (more like 7.2 WOT) and I've calibrated on the N2K/B&G side, but the NX2 displays still show 8 knots, so I need to see if I can bring that down to a reasonable rate. We shall see!

thanks. I have the GPS input solved (n2K feed from the Zeus MFD gps via the GND10 to Nexis fdx) and the compass works fine from the NXrace FDX .

regards BB

WHK: I tried most of this stuff Wednesday. Reconnected the old tacktick triducer to the NX2 server pics and spun the paddle, The lights on the server board flashe but

no speed on the displays or on the PC. Have have two possible theories:

1) the NX2 server is faulty (unlikely as only a year old), or

2) the output of the hall sensor on the DST800 is higher impedance )ie less drive capability), than the standard Nexus TH52 sensors.

any suggestions

Hmmmm - if the lights are flashing on the server, I would think that the level is sufficient to trigger the input. The input section may be bad on the server. On my server the input section for temperature is consistently too high so I can't set the correct value. This was duplicated with two different sensors.

So - you may have a bad input section for speed on your server. Any way to try the Tacktick sensor on another server, or borrow a Nexus speed sensor to try?

WHK: I tried most of this stuff Wednesday. Reconnected the old tacktick triducer to the NX2 server pics and spun the paddle, The lights on the server board flashe but

no speed on the displays or on the PC. Have have two possible theories:

1) the NX2 server is faulty (unlikely as only a year old), or

2) the output of the hall sensor on the DST800 is higher impedance )ie less drive capability), than the standard Nexus TH52 sensors.

any suggestions

We noticed this recently when hooking up transducers to some kit. We made to drive the Airmar ST300 and 800 quite a bit harder than some of the other manufacturers kit to get anything out of it.

rgeek

Thanks for that info. When you say " Airmar ST300 and 800 quite a bit harder" it would be helpful you be a bit more specific is electronics terms . Do you mean you need a lower resistance 12v supply? or a

different kind of input circuits to read the log input ? or ?

thanks Bob

Didn't have time to investigate. We swapped the 10v or so of LiPo battery we where using out for a 12V motor cycle battery and got on with what we were doing. No change to the input circuits at all. Even at 5v the LiPo battery bank worked with a Singet blue cap with out any problem.

Looking at the specs the Airmar should run off either. They have rated it 100mAh at 12V vs <40mAh for the Signet mind.

I took my NX2 server into Garmin Europe at Hounsdown Southampton this morning for testing.

They have confirmed that the analog log input is not working and will replace it under warranty. :))

Interestingly when I disconnected the server from the boat I checked which instrument still worked via the

GND10 which was still in the circuit.

Almost everything seemed ok.

The NMEA2000 Garmin GNX120s and the Zeus-Touch MFD displayed the depth and speed from the N2K triducer as well as GPS info.

They also displayed compass and wind info from the FDX connected nWind race and the HPC compass.

The NX2 and NXR displays showed all the above except speed and depth. The NX2 navigator didn't seem to be working so well

but I ran out of time to try reconfiguring it.

Does anybody really know what calculates what and needs which data from where in a mixed Garmin / Nexus setup with intelligent Wind and Compass transducers. These plus the server and GND10 all have

intelligence. Where and how is TWS and TWD computed?

BB

I don't know about GND10 and Garmin displays, but I know the Nexus system quite well. The Nexus displays don't calculate anything. They get all they show from the Nexus bus. The only exception I know is the Wind Data, which can be used as a stand alone display, but in a system with a server it doesn't calculate anything. The log transducer and the wind transducer can be connected directly to the Wind Data.

With an old wind transducer the calibration values (there was a sheet of paper, which came with the transducer) were input to the server in order to correct the AWA. With the new sensors in the Nexus bus, this AWA correction is already done in the transducer. All the transducer data is input to the server and it calculates TWA and TWS, makes the calibration of speed and possible corrections for AWA, AWS etc. as set.

With a wireless wind transducer there is always a simpler "server", which does the basic TWA and TWS calculations used in the NX system. This can be used with the NX2 server, which then takes over. I would guess that the GND10 is similar to the simpler NX "server".