Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

what-is-it-5-19.png.jpg

A crowded 40' field just got more so. We dig the looks. What is it?

That's the backup tiller, the pedestal steers the boat.

Looks like a rip off MC38 with a pedestal

It's Jib is over sheeted, or its trying to sail upwind with a Spinnaker... 4th mode stuff right there.

what-is-it-5-19.png.jpg

It's a Colorado 40 :o

Mile-High-Green-Cross-Logo-300.jpg

It's a mills 40, built by premier . The previous guy didn't get that.

who said I didn't get that ??

It's just another $500,000 40 foot fast day sailor that will sell about 4 or 5 boats that someone will spend way too much on in terms of the care and feeding of pro sailors. Then the owner gets burned out, stops paying people, boat sits and someone buys it and turns it into a 9 knot PHRF shitbox.

It's just another $500,000 40 foot fast day sailor that will sell about 4 or 5 boats that someone will spend way too much on in terms of the care and feeding of pro sailors. Then the owner gets burned out, stops paying people, boat sits and someone buys it and turns it into a 9 knot PHRF shitbox.

Wow you're optimistic, I would double that and then some .........

So it's a Fast 40+ apparently .......

Edited & it's in Sports Boat Anarchy ........ Hmmmmm somthing wong

No idea, but I would not want to get caught up in that shepherds crook tiller, and imagine loose sheet....!!

what-is-it-5-19.png.jpg

If I had to bet I would say it's a Yacht Design Final Year project of one of the Solent Uni Students. He should be handing it in soon, plus that class is sailed in the solent, so he probably got inspired by those. And there are some "typical students" mistakes, such as tiller/pedestal interference,

How do you get down below?... through the forehatch only?... Or is it through that flush hatch in the cockpit sole?

Looks like the flush hatch doesn't it? The Melges 40 wins unless this thing is half price? Nothing on the Mills site about this?

Wondering why the pedestal is 15' away from the primaries. Does the designer feel a need to keep the Gorillas in back?

what-is-it-5-19.png.jpg

If I had to bet I would say it's a Yacht Design Final Year project of one of the Solent Uni Students. He should be handing it in soon, plus that class is sailed in the solent, so he probably got inspired by those. And there are some "typical students" mistakes, such as tiller/pedestal interference,

Nope,

this is by a designer with an actual company. The tiller was added as an afterthought. It had wheels before a quick rendering change to make it into a fast 40

Wondering why the pedestal is 15' away from the primaries. Does the designer feel a need to keep the Gorillas in back?

These boats are so lightly loaded that there is no need for gorillas on the handles. just your average 85 kilo strong fit bloke. Weight goes back extremely early on these boats to be first to get on the step. Generally the tactician serves as the 2nd grinder too so best to be back there.

$500,000? And the rest.

That can't do the Fastnet.

The fishing hook tiller is pure genius. Can't wait to see a spin trim whip around it in a gybe!

I don't understand why everyone is in such a rush to start a fleet-killing arms-race the second a cool new fleet shows any sign of taking hold.

"hmm, those fast 40s looked like fun. I know, what if we build a total inshore-only version that will make all the existing offshore-capable boats obsolete? Then we'll win all the races for 3 months, everyone will quit, the value of our new million dollar overgrown dinghy will drop by 80% overnight, and nobody will be happy. Then they'll all know how much smarter we are than them!"

I see that class rules call for OSR cat 4, which requires 2 hatches. There are OSR requirements for the companionway hatch, but they don't define what a companionway is.

So I suppose the two are the forehatch, and the hatch in the cockpit floor. Which is most definitely not a companionway. Honest, guv.

what-is-it-5-19.png.jpg

Nope,

this is by a designer with an actual company. The tiller was added as an afterthought. It had wheels before a quick rendering change to make it into a fast 40

I am eager to know who did this. Wonder how works structurally. Got few doubts...

-The runner winches will def need some sort of bucket so support them.

-Main winches might be just about OK. The primary winches 'island' doesn's seem to be connected to the foredeck... I wonder how that works... Jibsheet loads are not low...

-The hatch on the cockpit sole looks just wrong...

-The forehatch is way too large....

-The bowsprit looks a bit too thick...

-And the boom is short.

Don't know what you guys think but that's my impression.

I see that class rules call for OSR cat 4, which requires 2 hatches. There are OSR requirements for the companionway hatch, but they don't define what a companionway is.

So I suppose the two are the forehatch, and the hatch in the cockpit floor. Which is most definitely not a companionway. Honest, guv.

I doubt that if the boat is in knock-down conditions (let's say 110 deg heel) that outboard end of the cockpitsole hatch is clear off the water... What are you sinking about??

How do you get down below?... through the forehatch only?... Or is it through that flush hatch in the cockpit sole?

Looks like the flush hatch doesn't it? The Melges 40 wins unless this thing is half price? Nothing on the Mills site about this?

Nothing on the Mills site last time I checked. Melges 40 is a totally different boat. Canting keel... Two rudders...

I don't understand why everyone is in such a rush to start a fleet-killing arms-race the second a cool new fleet shows any sign of taking hold.

"hmm, those fast 40s looked like fun. I know, what if we build a total inshore-only version that will make all the existing offshore-capable boats obsolete? Then we'll win all the races for 3 months, everyone will quit, the value of our new million dollar overgrown dinghy will drop by 80% overnight, and nobody will be happy. Then they'll all know how much smarter we are than them!"

Like they did with the TP52 class?...

Mechanics creepers, like a lightning.

this cockpit design at the leading edge is placed in a way that this could be a weak point allowing the boat to fold right there. just like what happened to an AC boat from Australia many moons ago. she sank!!!

This.

It's just an IRC band iirc. Not a box rule. So it shouldn't be a problem.

This

If I could afford don't think would go for a Farr design nowadays.

They did not show much interesting boats last years.

The only thing they won was the Volvo Ocean Race :lol:

i think fast 40 means how fast an owner can spend $40,000 in a weekend.

good one

I think they should rename it Fast IRC 40... The Elliott 35SS rates 1.357 which is way to fast to be a fast 40, same with some other non-irc fast 35-40fters

B.1.2 IRC TCC

Boats shall have and IRC TCC between 1.210 to 1.270 (A lower limit of 1.191

will be permitted for 2016)

I think they should rename it Fast IRC 40... The Elliott 35SS rates 1.357 which is way to fast to be a fast 40, same with some other non-irc fast 35-40fters
B.1.2 IRC TCC
Boats shall have and IRC TCC between 1.210 to 1.270 (A lower limit of 1.191
will be permitted for 2016)

There are some other limits too outside of the TCC ones.

Can't remember exactly what they are or how they are worked out. Its a deliberately narrow band obviously and it appears to be working. Otra Vez was grandfathered in as she would have been outside the limits.