• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sarcoma

Fractional Spinnaker Halyard

21 posts in this topic

We're looking to add a fractional A5 to our inventory on an Aerodyne 38. The boat is rigged for 2 mast head spin halyards and 2 fractional jib halyards that exit under the forestay. Since using a jib halyard is out of the question due to it being under the forestay, how could you rig a "restricter" for one of the masthead halyards so you had the option to snug up the halyard to fractional hoist?

I know many Australian sportsboats have this sort of setup..

Thanks!

i could be wrong, but as far as an adjustable restricter at the hounds, i think it is usually a takeup to keep the halyard from flying around the mast and getting caught on spreaders. The m32's i think use/used this, as well as some dinghies/skiffs. I find it hard to imagine a (adjustable) deflector for the halyard would be safe - or less complicated/weight than adding a frac halyard. However, some boats have a permanent re-direct. Seems like a good time to talk to the spar OEM.

Had it once on a sportsboat. Basically it was just a block on the end of a line running down the mast. The spin halyard ran through the block. Release line for MH and pull tight for fractional spin. I am just struggling to remember how the pull down was limited.

The one boat I have used with this setup, the restrictor line exited the mast belowdecks and you just tied it around a horn cleat before hoisting the kite.

why not just knock out another shiv box at that point?

i could be wrong, but as far as an adjustable restricter at the hounds, i think it is usually a takeup to keep the halyard from flying around the mast and getting caught on spreaders. The m32's i think use/used this, as well as some dinghies/skiffs. I find it hard to imagine a (adjustable) deflector for the halyard would be safe - or less complicated/weight than adding a frac halyard. However, some boats have a permanent re-direct. Seems like a good time to talk to the spar OEM.

Despite your apparently limited imagination it has been done on a number of sporties - to save weight since the frac halyard is used very infrequently.

Despite your apparently limited imagination it has been done on a number of sporties - to save weight since the frac halyard is used very infrequently.

it seems the only difference between an on the fly deflector and a frac halyard is another few feet of rope and a shiv box.... but whatever, if it works it works. i've seen stranger.

Raced on a 32footer and it was simply an 8mm spectra length with a block and a ball acting as a stopper. As said above, release for masthead, pull tight around a horn cleat for frac.

it seems the only difference between an on the fly deflector and a frac halyard is another few feet of rope and a shiv box.... but whatever, if it works it works. i've seen stranger.

try 100+ft of halyard vs. less than half that length of much smaller diameter line.

Don't forget a halyard has to reach up to the sheave, back down, and have a useful tail in the cockpit.

We use a fractional inhauler as follows; low friction ring on a length of dyneema/Vectran - fixed length reaching from masthead to exit sheave at deck level, with a Wichard clip spliced to the lower end. A piece of bungee runs down the mast to the clip so that the ring is pulled into the rig when the halyard is not in use, otherwise it gets tangled in stuff. For masthead kites the ring travels to the masthead, when you want to go fractional you just hook the Wichard clip on and the halyard stays restricted at the hounds.

We use a fractional inhauler as follows; low friction ring on a length of dyneema/Vectran - fixed length reaching from masthead to exit sheave at deck level, with a Wichard clip spliced to the lower end. A piece of bungee runs down the mast to the clip so that the ring is pulled into the rig when the halyard is not in use, otherwise it gets tangled in stuff. For masthead kites the ring travels to the masthead, when you want to go fractional you just hook the Wichard clip on and the halyard stays restricted at the hounds.

Nice setup.

And an extra halyard.............

still got a line going aloft, just saving the extra few feet to go back down again. I can maybe sort of see it for a sporty, but definitely not on an Aerodyne 38. It seems you have the extra bit of line, might as well have a full halyard and the ability to peel etc etc.

still got a line going aloft, just saving the extra few feet to go back down again. I can maybe sort of see it for a sporty, but definitely not on an Aerodyne 38. It seems you have the extra bit of line, might as well have a full halyard and the ability to peel etc etc.

which part of '2 x hoist height + tail' don't you get ?

which part of '2 x hoist height + tail' don't you get ?

the part where if you've already got a damn line going up the mast, that a few more feet of line to deal with and a few more dollars for the halyard seems rather inconsequential.

Dude, it's one P length piece of uncovered high tech 5mm singlebraid and a thimble versus a full sized and full length halyard with a T10. You're talking about 10x the weight. You aren't picturing the system correctly in your head.

For everyone who prefers pictures, follow this link and scroll to last page.

http://www.seldenmast.com/files/excerpts/595-808-E-24-31.pdf

Had something similar this set up on my Ross 930 originally rigged with both Frac. and Mast head kites. Low friction ring with small diameter uncovered line running to horn cleat near bottom of mast (down below) with bungee on a pulley inside mast to suck up the extra line when halyard not in use. Ran through existing Frac. Kite Shiv Box, but would work as described in pdf. System worked great as long as well secured before hoisting the Frac kite on masthead (now Frac) halyard.

However, I replaced it for offshore work as system means only 1 kite halyard on boat. Spec'd the new fractional halyard length and diameter to be a replacement for masthead and main halyard should one of those break while we were out there. If was sticking to coastal/near shore would go back to 1 kite halyard with choker. As it is, have now removed Frac Kite halyard and only run a lead line to save weight aloft and leave the Frac kite in the garage. But when it's blowing over 25 kts with decent waves, the wipe outs with the Masthead Kites can be epic, whereas the lower centre of effort with the Frac Kite makes it almost drama free...

On 5/19/2016 at 0:21 PM, Sarcoma said:

We're looking to add a fractional A5 to our inventory on an Aerodyne 38. The boat is rigged for 2 mast head spin halyards and 2 fractional jib halyards that exit under the forestay. Since using a jib halyard is out of the question due to it being under the forestay, how could you rig a "restricter" for one of the masthead halyards so you had the option to snug up the halyard to fractional hoist?

I know many Australian sportsboats have this sort of setup..

Thanks!

Sarcoma, did you end up finding a setup that worked? I was planning the same thing on an FT10.  I don't a have sheave or anything above the forestay and I'm a little reluctant to cut or drill in this area of the carbon carbon mast.