• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
thistle3466

Finn sailing

Trailer will be a future purchase. I like the old Hobie trailer idea. 

Boat is a 2013 Devoti on trolley.

This is a one time move without a trailer. Boat will be going from San Diego to San Francisco.

Sailmoore1: I just drag the boat and trolley onto a flatbed trailer and strap the whole thing down with ratchet straps.  It tows fine.  I have an actual finn shaped trailer but I've taken the bunks off and just transport the dolley and boat on the trailer flat.  Just borrow a trailer from someone and you should be okay.  Is this one of the boats Joe is bringing over in the container?

On 10/4/2017 at 9:00 PM, SailMoore1 said:

Trailer will be a future purchase. I like the old Hobie trailer idea. 

Boat is a 2013 Devoti on trolley.

This is a one time move without a trailer. Boat will be going from San Diego to San Francisco.

Where in SF area?  Come over to the Alameda Riviera and/or PM me to set up some sailing once you get the boat here

New boat arrives in a few weeks. Just purchased a trailer to bring her north. Thought about different options for transport and decided to get a trailer now as will need it either way. Boat is coming to and will be sailed out of Alameda.

On 8/13/2016 at 3:14 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I was fortunate enough to be Henry's little gremmie sidekick at the Long Beach Naval Sailing Facility my first year of High School. 1969. What a time it was and Henry had just one the Finn World Cup.

......this sounds like one of those '#MeToo confessions  :lol:

On 5/26/2016 at 7:55 AM, thistle3466 said:

I am in Florida, 6 foot 1, 260 lbs.

...at that size,,yer gonna haveta find something bigger.  :mellow:

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, SailMoore1 said:

New boat arrives in a few weeks. Just purchased a trailer to bring her north. Thought about different options for transport and decided to get a trailer now as will need it either way. Boat is coming to and will be sailed out of Alameda.

#metoo

Sailing out of Alameda, I mean. Give me a shout when your boat gets here we'll do some sailing 

3 hours ago, High Flow said:

why not just sink all fins?

We are a couple of hours north of you and have about 20 boats, Saturdays during the winter usually 5-10 on the water for training. Feel free to come up and have a go at sinking our boats if you like.
Or have a go at sailing one.

1 hour ago, GER308 said:

We are a couple of hours north of you and have about 20 boats, Saturdays during the winter usually 5-10 on the water for training. Feel free to come up and have a go at sinking our boats if you like.

now thats a great offer

8 hours ago, High Flow said:

....what then would you do with all the oversize numbskull sailors?  :mellow:

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

^ give them an internet link and a Sailing Anarchy login? :lol:

+1

On 10/25/2017 at 8:52 PM, couchsurfer said:
On 10/25/2017 at 12:27 PM, High Flow said:

....what then would you do with all the oversize numbskull sailors?  :mellow:

that was a coffee spiller! very funny!

48 minutes ago, Carbon said:

I don't know much about Finns but this one seems to be over-priced but in good shape.  Aluminum mast so it won't be competitive but a good boat to learn in none the less!

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/d/finn-lemieux-abbott-boats/6365450667.html

How much would you Finn sailors pay for this setup?

Tom

00L0L_76BbtH19Bag_600x450.jpg

Says it is carbon

14 hours ago, Carbon said:

Apparently missed that detail!  If it's not black it ain't carbon! 

There is such a thing as white paint.  that appears to be a willets round carbon mast. the newer masts since around 2000 are wing shaped carbon. That's not a bad beginner boat worth more like 3,500-5,000. 

''Adrenaline producing boat ''    .... I suppose ripping pain produces adrenaline.

...and then the adrenaline masks the pain.        ...then yer good to go!   :mellow:

Finn... never will you go so slow for so many control lines.  :rolleyes:

00303_hwtt4wDqDqP_600x450.jpg
This boat is ready to sail today 
Adrenaline producing boat 

10 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Gotta wonder how many of those lines are dummies connected to a hunk of Shock cord 

gotta say, it's quite amazing to be able to design all control, right down to the 'inhaul', a tensioner for the foot at tack, separate from outhaul and downhaul,,, all with fingertip control, right where you need them.   Sure changes the game from laser ballet over the years**

**....remember when tightening the Laser 3:1 vang required a 'quick' luff to wind, then dive to center, jump on boom!?   :o   :wacko:

This guy was too big to depower that much. I just pulled hard on the mainsheet and snugged the vang to that. 

I do wish I had a museum of all the horrible tillers and extensions I came up with before finally buying a carbon one from ACME. He revolutionized that part of the boat 

On 10/30/2017 at 11:13 PM, Carbon said:

I don't know much about Finns but this one seems to be over-priced but in good shape.  Aluminum mast so it won't be competitive but a good boat to learn in none the less!

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/d/finn-lemieux-abbott-boats/6365450667.html

How much would you Finn sailors pay for this setup?

Tom

Here maybe 4000€ for the full  package depending on the mast and sail condition. 2000 -3000 Euro for the hull with rudder, boom, and maybe slipwagon. Round carbon mast maybe 500 to 700. Older simple road trailer dunno 300-500.  Used sails - almost new starting about 600 to free for older sails.
I have a  Devoti of the same age, a very hard 2010 HIT wing mast, combo trailer, good used sails and all the rest which cost me about  5500€

11 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I do wish I had a museum of all the horrible tillers and extensions I came up with before finally buying a carbon one from ACME. He revolutionized that part of the boat 

...my favorite was 1' of thick aircraft alloy, sitting beside a  snug fitting 5/8'' SS tube in the junkyard...then a roller tube for the traveller... then shockcord inside, connecting to wire for the tiller swivel .  :wacko:

Watt removed a lot of 'fun' from Lasers.... but I digress.  :mellow:

11 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

This guy was too big to depower that much. I just pulled hard on the mainsheet and snugged the vang to that. 

The only thing stupider than  'going fast' in Finns....                    .....is fatfarts in Lasers.   :mellow:

On 10/25/2017 at 3:08 PM, GER308 said:

Thanks for the offer. Well appreciated. I'm not really getting any sailing time in at all. kids and stuff...