PinkSpinnaker

Finn sailing

Sailmoore1: I just drag the boat and trolley onto a flatbed trailer and strap the whole thing down with ratchet straps.  It tows fine.  I have an actual finn shaped trailer but I've taken the bunks off and just transport the dolley and boat on the trailer flat.  Just borrow a trailer from someone and you should be okay.  Is this one of the boats Joe is bringing over in the container?

On 10/4/2017 at 9:00 PM, SailMoore1 said:

Trailer will be a future purchase. I like the old Hobie trailer idea. 

Boat is a 2013 Devoti on trolley.

This is a one time move without a trailer. Boat will be going from San Diego to San Francisco.

Where in SF area?  Come over to the Alameda Riviera and/or PM me to set up some sailing once you get the boat here

New boat arrives in a few weeks. Just purchased a trailer to bring her north. Thought about different options for transport and decided to get a trailer now as will need it either way. Boat is coming to and will be sailed out of Alameda.

On 8/13/2016 at 3:14 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I was fortunate enough to be Henry's little gremmie sidekick at the Long Beach Naval Sailing Facility my first year of High School. 1969. What a time it was and Henry had just one the Finn World Cup.

......this sounds like one of those '#MeToo confessions  :lol:

On 5/26/2016 at 7:55 AM, thistle3466 said:

I am in Florida, 6 foot 1, 260 lbs.

...at that size,,yer gonna haveta find something bigger.  :mellow:

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, SailMoore1 said:

New boat arrives in a few weeks. Just purchased a trailer to bring her north. Thought about different options for transport and decided to get a trailer now as will need it either way. Boat is coming to and will be sailed out of Alameda.

#metoo

Sailing out of Alameda, I mean. Give me a shout when your boat gets here we'll do some sailing 

3 hours ago, High Flow said:

why not just sink all fins?

We are a couple of hours north of you and have about 20 boats, Saturdays during the winter usually 5-10 on the water for training. Feel free to come up and have a go at sinking our boats if you like.
Or have a go at sailing one.

1 hour ago, GER308 said:

We are a couple of hours north of you and have about 20 boats, Saturdays during the winter usually 5-10 on the water for training. Feel free to come up and have a go at sinking our boats if you like.

now thats a great offer

8 hours ago, High Flow said:

....what then would you do with all the oversize numbskull sailors?  :mellow:

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

^ give them an internet link and a Sailing Anarchy login? :lol:

+1

On 10/25/2017 at 8:52 PM, couchsurfer said:
On 10/25/2017 at 12:27 PM, High Flow said:

....what then would you do with all the oversize numbskull sailors?  :mellow:

that was a coffee spiller! very funny!

48 minutes ago, Carbon said:

I don't know much about Finns but this one seems to be over-priced but in good shape.  Aluminum mast so it won't be competitive but a good boat to learn in none the less!

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/d/finn-lemieux-abbott-boats/6365450667.html

How much would you Finn sailors pay for this setup?

Tom

00L0L_76BbtH19Bag_600x450.jpg

Says it is carbon

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

00L0L_76BbtH19Bag_600x450.jpg

Says it is carbon

Apparently missed that detail!  If it's not black it ain't carbon! 

14 hours ago, Carbon said:

Apparently missed that detail!  If it's not black it ain't carbon! 

There is such a thing as white paint.  that appears to be a willets round carbon mast. the newer masts since around 2000 are wing shaped carbon. That's not a bad beginner boat worth more like 3,500-5,000. 

''Adrenaline producing boat ''    .... I suppose ripping pain produces adrenaline.

...and then the adrenaline masks the pain.        ...then yer good to go!   :mellow:

Finn... never will you go so slow for so many control lines.  :rolleyes:

00303_hwtt4wDqDqP_600x450.jpg
This boat is ready to sail today 
Adrenaline producing boat 

10 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Gotta wonder how many of those lines are dummies connected to a hunk of Shock cord 

gotta say, it's quite amazing to be able to design all control, right down to the 'inhaul', a tensioner for the foot at tack, separate from outhaul and downhaul,,, all with fingertip control, right where you need them.   Sure changes the game from laser ballet over the years**

**....remember when tightening the Laser 3:1 vang required a 'quick' luff to wind, then dive to center, jump on boom!?   :o   :wacko:

This guy was too big to depower that much. I just pulled hard on the mainsheet and snugged the vang to that. 

I do wish I had a museum of all the horrible tillers and extensions I came up with before finally buying a carbon one from ACME. He revolutionized that part of the boat 

On 10/30/2017 at 11:13 PM, Carbon said:

I don't know much about Finns but this one seems to be over-priced but in good shape.  Aluminum mast so it won't be competitive but a good boat to learn in none the less!

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/d/finn-lemieux-abbott-boats/6365450667.html

How much would you Finn sailors pay for this setup?

Tom

Here maybe 4000€ for the full  package depending on the mast and sail condition. 2000 -3000 Euro for the hull with rudder, boom, and maybe slipwagon. Round carbon mast maybe 500 to 700. Older simple road trailer dunno 300-500.  Used sails - almost new starting about 600 to free for older sails.
I have a  Devoti of the same age, a very hard 2010 HIT wing mast, combo trailer, good used sails and all the rest which cost me about  5500€

11 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I do wish I had a museum of all the horrible tillers and extensions I came up with before finally buying a carbon one from ACME. He revolutionized that part of the boat 

...my favorite was 1' of thick aircraft alloy, sitting beside a  snug fitting 5/8'' SS tube in the junkyard...then a roller tube for the traveller... then shockcord inside, connecting to wire for the tiller swivel .  :wacko:

Watt removed a lot of 'fun' from Lasers.... but I digress.  :mellow:

11 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

This guy was too big to depower that much. I just pulled hard on the mainsheet and snugged the vang to that. 

The only thing stupider than  'going fast' in Finns....                    .....is fatfarts in Lasers.   :mellow:

On 10/25/2017 at 3:08 PM, GER308 said:

Thanks for the offer. Well appreciated. I'm not really getting any sailing time in at all. kids and stuff...

Is there anything about the Finn that fundamentally limits it to men over 5' 10" (178 cm) and 180 lbs (82 Kg)?

I understand that pumping is a big part of gaining good performance in the Finn in light air, which provides an advantage for heavier, stronger crew.  It seems that advantage could be neutralized if either 1) the Finn competitions were divided into lightweight and heavyweight categories, or 2) pumping were banned.

I see speculation that the Finn is in danger of being eliminated from the Olympic games in order to facilitate the goal of gender equality.  At present, the Finn is designated in the Olympics as the class for heavyweight men only.  If the Finn is eliminated, the boat for all solo sailing would be the Laser, which would leave heavyweight men without a boat.  Perhaps it would make more sense to eliminate the Laser and conduct both the male and female solo sailing events with the Finn.

I actually recently considered buying a Finn, but I'm only 5' 7" and 145 lbs.

^^ Elaborating on the above, for someone not engaged in serious racing, perhaps righting the boat from a capsize or lifting the mast when rigging the boat are limiting factors for weight of the sailor.

Mainsail area: 10.6 m2 (114 sq ft)

It's a big boat, with a big sail... so works better sailed by a big person. In strong winds a light sailor will struggle with it... in light airs a lighter hull would be more responsive to the sailor's weight... which is what a dinghy is all about...

Try a Europe? Or an Aero? I would expect it to be more fun...

Cheers,

W.

Hi Captain Crunch, there are a lot of people out there with far more experience with the Finn. Mast development in the class is highly specialized and can accommodate a wide range of height and weight. Not sure if it can reach the weight you listed but I have seen people in that range sail well. 

You listed a concern about getting the mast in the boat.  It is far easier than my Laser. I would not consider that an issue. Nor would I worry about righting the boat.

One thing you did not list was your age. If this is a boat you will grow into, then start early. It is an awesome boat. 

also, you mention pumping in light air. class rules say that the RC should fly the O flag, allowing pumping, in over 10 knot if wind. 

take one for a spin and then decide. where are you?

• Like 1

Do any of you have experience with putting two people on a Finn.  I put two on my Sunfish frequently, but it is quite cramped.  The Finn cockpit looks much larger.

1 hour ago, squash said:

Do any of you have experience with putting two people on a Finn.  I put two on my Sunfish frequently, but it is quite cramped.  The Finn cockpit looks much larger.

While the cockpit is larger , the boom is lower. I sailed my finn with my daughter when she was little . It's doable as long as you're not tacking/ jibing a lot but it's a one person boat really.

I agree with Surf Nazi. Is it doable, yes. If it is a one time or very rare occurrence it can be done. But don't get a Finn if your intention is to sail regularly with two people. There are so many boats out there that will accommodate two people much better. I have a Laser and a Finn. Both boats are for one person and I like the Finn a lot more. But if I were to take a passenger, I would go out in the Laser. While the Finn cockpit is huge, coordinating two people under the boom, would not be fun especially if you had to tack often up a narrow channel. I guess it would also depend on the size of the people. It would be much easier for two young teens versus two adults. 

Other than boom height, what makes a Laser/Sunfish better for two than a Finn?

22 minutes ago, squash said:

Other than boom height, what makes a Laser/Sunfish better for two than a Finn?

nothing

On my first Finn it had a really stiff old Needlespar, one with an oval bottom section. Used to really struggle with it as I was only 12st. One day went out with my 4 yr old probably top end of a F2 maybe F3 and going up wind had him sitting on me, his head just below my chin. Boat really took off! The extra few stone was what that mast needed to get working. Got another Finn with a softer mast.

So two up is ok and can be instructive.

Squash, I love the Finn and sail it several times per week but never with two people. I rarely sail my Laser once I got the Finn. Some have said they sail a Finn with small children with no problem. I can see that as working. The cockpit is huge but as you have noted the boom is very low. Getting two adults under the boom would not be fun in my opinion. Can it be done, sure. The Laser will suffer more with the weight of two adults more than a Finn. But tacking is easier due to boom height. I have sailed Lasers with two adults.  Ya, the cockpit is tiny on a Laser but much easier for two adults to switch sides while tacking. The Laser is more tender with two adults but that is mainly do to the Laser being about 1/2 the weight of a Finn. 

When I was a teenager I had a boat called a Banshee. Probably has not been in production in the last 30 years. I see them on Craig's list all the time in San Francisco. It is a cat boat like the Laser / Finn. With a huge cockpit and high boom. We could put 2 or 3 teenagers in the boat with no issues. I had several friends that had a boat called a Kite. Another older design that is a one person boat but has a high boom and a cockpit large enough for a party.

i do not want to discourage you or anyone from getting a Finn. I think it is one of the best singlehanded boats you can sail.

When not tacking or gybing, how is the Finn with two aboard?

If there was a top 10 list of boats you would like to grab to take someone for a ride, the Finn would be 50th. And if your experience is limited, make that 60th. And unless you are talking about a couple kids, a Laser is almost as shitty, but a pretty fun little diving platform on sunny, calm days. My daughter liked doing that when she was 10. Is it possible to take someone out on a Finn? Yes. But it is also possible to take a Finn for a weekend of camping.

5 hours ago, bill4 said:

If there was a top 10 list of boats you would like to grab to take someone for a ride, the Finn would be 50th. And if your experience is limited, make that 60th. And unless you are talking about a couple kids, a Laser is almost as shitty, but a pretty fun little diving platform on sunny, calm days. My daughter liked doing that when she was 10. Is it possible to take someone out on a Finn? Yes. But it is also possible to take a Finn for a weekend of camping.

Finn camping!!! The new rage...