• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
PBO

SuperFoiler Grand Prix

https://www.facebook.com/SuperFoiler/

"Welcome to the home of the SuperFoiler Grand Prix. After more than 18 months of work we are now airborne and have locked away the design of the SuperFoiler with Morrelli & Melvin. Featuring unprecedented aerodynamic & hydrodynamic efficiency along with a maximum possible power to weight, the SuperFoiler will be the focus of a fully televised circuit of racing commencing in 2017. Keep up to date here over the coming months. ‪#‎superfoiler‬"

Boom! the Macartney family are back in business! This should be quite a spectacle to watch live or on TV. Bring it!!

video of it sailing (all of a few seconds of it) has been posted on their fb page.

Fast and scary are appropriate ways of describing it. Don't know if they're implementing the 'seatbelt' system which Pete Melvin talked about at TFW in Newport last year. So we'll see about the dangerous part.

I really hope Bill MaCartney can get traction on this.

He did an awesome job on the Grand Prix aydeens, without much help or support from the Yachting establishment.

In fact he copped flack from ALL of the 'establishment' and he still made it work!

I'm glad I'm too old to be shanghai'd into one of these beasts.

But not too old to really looking forward to seeing crews wrestle these rocketships around a course.

Good luck Bill

More info:

why isn't this shit over in the multihull forum ??   same old juvenile puerile shit.   Fly, go fast, crash,  all in a straight line.....put wheels on it and put it in the  sail drag race  forum for children.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rejected said:

why isn't this shit over in the multihull forum ??   same old juvenile puerile shit.   Fly, go fast, crash,  all in a straight line.....put wheels on it and put it in the  sail drag race  forum for children.

Loud noise...pointless and unpopular until they can figure out how to make loud noises.

14 minutes ago, Rejected said:

Fuckwit. 

On 4/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, cosmicsedso said:

I really hope Bill MaCartney can get traction on this.

He did an awesome job on the Grand Prix aydeens, without much help or support from the Yachting establishment.

In fact he copped flack from ALL of the 'establishment' and he still made it work!

I'm glad I'm too old to be shanghai'd into one of these beasts.

But not too old to really looking forward to seeing crews wrestle these rocketships around a course.

Good luck Bill

Sadly the assumption that the Grand Prix aydeens circuit was a success is a wrong one.  It lasted a couple of years at most, got a little traction then died.   To be fair I don't know the whole story, but if it was a huge success it would still be going...

The superfoiler is a very cool boat, I've seen it up close and personal on and off the water, but with no kites (visual, colour, movements, risk, tangles etc.), high boatspeeds limiting close quarters action (owing to the risk to life and limb) foiling dynamics dictating bounding from layline to layline the chance of the racing being a consumer spectacle and this concept getting mass market traction (as opposed to anyone reading this forum) is pretty low IMHO.  Sailing just isn't a mass media spectator sport.  Sad but true.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rejected said:

Mars Rover? You are out there.

Nothing wrong with going fast and they are in the process of learning the boat.
OR
spend tons of cash to go slow.

They did say it was designed and built for a professional circuit.

Are they planning to race in Sydney Harbour? The safety issues in racing something that fast in close proximity to a lot of boats and ferries are not trivial. Having been up close to foiling Flying Phantoms on the water and having had to deal with the aftermath of an F-18-Laser collision recently, these things would concern me.

On 24/11/2017 at 10:36 AM, DickDastardly said:

Sadly the assumption that the Grand Prix aydeens circuit was a success is a wrong one.  It lasted a couple of years at most, got a little traction then died.   To be fair I don't know the whole story, but if it was a huge success it would still be

The superfoiler is a very cool boat, I've seen it up close and personal on and off the water, but with no kites (visual, colour, movements, risk, tangles etc.), high boatspeeds limiting close quarters action (owing to the risk to life and limb) foiling dynamics dictating bounding from layline to layline the chance of the racing being a consumer spectacle and this concept getting mass market traction (as opposed to anyone reading this forum) is pretty low IMHO.  Sailing just isn't a mass media spectator sport.  Sad but true.

To be fair, I don't know you, but I do know that you are pig ignorant regarding 'GP sailing'.

Success can be defined in many ways but having sailing as the entertainment in breaks in the Test cricket was probably the 2nd best sailing media success in AUS, ever!

The reason GPS didn't last forever was, IIRC, that Bill got sick of the constant attack he was under from the sailing 'elite'.

Additionally I can't see talent like Ashby & Co signing up for a boring experience.

Tall poppy is what's springing to my mind.

On 24/11/2017 at 12:18 PM, Foiling Optimist said:

Are they planning to race in Sydney Harbour? The safety issues in racing something that fast in close proximity to a lot of boats and ferries are not trivial. Having been up close to foiling Flying Phantoms on the water and having had to deal with the aftermath of an F-18-Laser collision recently, these things would concern me.

Like this?

On 25/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, cosmicsedso said:

To be fair, I don't know you, but I do know that you are pig ignorant regarding 'GP sailing'.

Success can be defined in many ways but having sailing as the entertainment in breaks in the Test cricket was probably the 2nd best sailing media success in AUS, ever!

The reason GPS didn't last forever was, IIRC, that Bill got sick of the constant attack he was under from the sailing 'elite'.

Additionally I can't see talent like Ashby & Co signing up for a boring experience.

I'd be very happy if Superfoiler succeded, and not just because it's paying rent at my club.   I just don't think there's a sustainable value propostion there.  Is GP sailing still shown in the Cricket breaks?  At the end of the day it's public acceptance of the concept that matters, not the sailing elite.  

I don't recall any sailling elite sniping at the GP18 circuit, though the 18 footer elite may have been a bit equivocal.

And you're conflating a boring experience for the audience with a boring experience for the sailors.  Sailors automatically assume what is exciting to do is equally exciting to watch.  And to an audience of sailors that may well be right, but that's not the audience that matters sadly.  Ashby & Co can sign up to anything thy want, why wouldn;t they sign up to saling something at the cutting edge regardless?  But are they major public drawcards outside the sailing fraternity?

On 11/25/2017 at 4:47 PM, cosmicsedso said:

You seem to have the scoop so I'll ask.... what is meant by success...? We all agree it was a success for getting sailing in the main stream but I think Dick is more referring to  commercial success and if so I'd believe he is right, it wasn't....

Of course for me it was a must watch and I think even now that they stream the 18's live they should mic up the crews as they did...

I hope the superfoiler works for them